Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I was also something like 4 or 5...my parents decided I could be allowed to play Doom as long as the monsters were turned off. Unfortunately, it still scared me shitless, particularly E3...I think all the corpses and weird fleshy walls and rivers of blood and eerie music conspired to make the whole thing terrifying, even without demons (it's possible that the lack of demons actually contributed to the barren, deathly atmosphere.)

I wouldn't play the game for another 9 years. When I did, I was basically hooked instantly. :P

I played the flash version on http://www.vivalagames.com/.

Then I played the demo, I think it had been tampered with. All of the monster alert sounds were replaced with voices.

The first time I played the full version, I torrented doom.wad (I thought that Doom was abandonware and that I wouldn't be able to buy it anywhere) and ran it with the shareware exe. The demos were all messed up, I still haven't upgraded my wad. I started using zdoom after that so I obviously don't see the demos play anyways.

I think all of that was less than a year ago. The game's older than I am.

11 years old, my father gave Doom to me (I think the shareware first, later the full version). At the time I played games like Duke Nukem and Commander Keen so this was the first 3D game I saw (I didn't play Wolfenstein before Doom) and I was in total awe.

Yea it scared me at some moments, but what touched me more was the whole eerie ambience in the game. Especially after going through episode 1 and arriving at E1M8 where the "Now everything is doomed"-type of music plays, together with the level itself (not only the gate to hell at the end) it gave me that wow feeling.

But that was then. When I had a big imagination and what Doom lacked in detail (which wasn't lacking anything at that time) my brains made up for it. Nowadays this is nothing and games must wrestle with the hardware they get to make graphics by today's standards.

I attempted to download the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D from an online site. Which one? I can't remember. It was something like Compunet or something similar sounding along those lines.. For whatever reason, the shareware hosting site didn't have Wolf3D so I had my father download another shareware title from id Software -Doom.

I was 11 or 12 years old when I first played the shareware version. About 10 years later, I still play the damn game ;)

I first played Doom on the PC back in 1995 or 1996. It was at my cousin's house and they had the shareware version of it. I don't really remember too much of the experience anymore sadly.

First time I played Doom was in 1994 when doom2 had just came out, I was visiting my cousins and their father had new copy of doom2, my mind was blowed away when i first played it, their father allways had best gaming rig avaible back in the 90's

The first time i played was a while ago. like most people i thought it was scary and at one point i had to quit for a while because i kept getting nightmares. now i dont think doom is at all scary.

I remember the first time playing Doom was actually Doom II. It was on my aunt's laptop. The brightness setting was incredibly low to the point where I could barely make my way down the hall in to the first room.

All I would see are muzzle flashes and then I would die. I would try shooting the muzzle flashes but the keyboard only scheme was beyond me at that age.

I was plenty scared and never got back in to the game until years later.

The first time I played Doom was in '95 on the SNES. I don't remember ever being that scared of anything in the game, but I would always startle when a caco was right behind a door I just opened. One level I did find very creepy was e2m6, which is still one of my favorite levels. I didn't let the eerie atmosphere sway me though, I pushed on until I died (or won) like a true marine.

I remember when our household first got a good computer (for its time, around 1998), Doom was one of the first games my uncle installed on it. Since I was only like 4 years old at the time, I didn't bother touching the computer, nevermind seeing what "Doom" was. A few years later, my uncle came over and I saw him playing it. I was already scared shitless just watching him, but I eventually grew some balls and gave it a try. Yeah, I was pretty damn scared. I used iddqd and idkfa because I was scared of dying (lmfao I was like 7 okay?). I stopped using cheats just a couple years ago, when I decided to stop tripping on my labias.

Korblox10 said:

@Marnetmar Im almost 16

I must've misunderstood what you said then because I got the impression you were four years old in 2004.

My first Doom game was Doom 64. Found it along with a few other games in a bargain bin at my local gamestore when I was collecting N64 games, so I got it. This was 2 years ago.

I was at first scared to play the game (Yeah, I was 13... I was always the wimpiest kid), but I first started to properly play it when my girlfriend came round, played it and beat the first 3 levels. I decided that was it, I'd start playing it. Once I was de-sensitised to it all, it was awesome.

I got the PC versions after that, and more recently the SNES version. I went from being a complete pussy to watching all 4 Alien films without flinching... Thanks Doom.

[/strange story]

Ultraboy94 said:

My first Doom game was Doom 64.

my FAVORITE Doom ever! to me Doom64 was revolutionary

The first time I played DOOM was... I think 10 years ago. I got my first computer when I was 7 in 1999/2000 and the FIRST GAME I ever played was DOOM. But it all ended when I played it 12 hours straight and got nightmares... My dad removed it from my computer and I could not play it anymore. When I was about 12 I downloaded it again and now I'm addicted to it again! And it's just as awesome as before! (h)

I was at my mothers job and her bosses kids were playing Doom in the back. They were playing dial up Coop matches. I was able to play some games and got addicted. But more or less, it was a cock tease. Since I was poor and couldn't afford a computer back in 1995. So I had the SNES, has the SNES port. Piece of shit, but everyone knows that. Then half a year later, I got the PSX port which was excellent for the time. Actually still is. Thats my story.

Shareware release back in '95 or '96, back on the good ol' 166 MHz pentium 1 windows 95 with 16 MB of RAM, when we first got dialup internet. Good times, though with the equipment of the time I could only get either music or sound.

My oldest brother was one of those guys who was always up to date with the latest tech. He managed to get a copy of the shareware version within the first couple days it came out. I remember because it was right before my 4th birthday and my birtthday is December 20th, so it was somewhere within that 10-day time frame. Obviously it was the most incredible experience of my life. I played Doom before I had played any other video games except maybe some NES or Sega Genesis games that didn't really stick in my memory.

I didn't play it strictly for 15 years, There was a period during the Columbine High School massacre where I wasn't allowed to play Doom because the media criminalized that game by showing footage of the Doom marine unloading shotgun shots on zombiemen and blowing them up with rockets. I still remember pretty clearly the footage of someone running through E1M1 very badly but shooting like a madman.

I got back into Doom when I was about 10 years old, shortly after being hooked on a freeware game called Meteor which was a top-down shooter game similar to games like Command and Conquer except you play as a single soldier. The game clearly had a lot of inspiration from Doom and was a very flexible and easy to make mods for, which manifested my interest in being able to manipulate games into the ways I want them to be played. I remember making a mod for that game that had like 25 maps called "World War 3" that had a really wild but well thought out plot but with no real research on international affairs. It involved fighting countries like Brazil, Belgium and Cuba, which don't really have large armies or much international influence at all. Whatever. It was cool to me at the time :)

Around the age of 11 or 12 I gave Doom a google search and found Doomworld that had /newstuffs every couple weeks, and I lurked around looking at screenshots and reading reviews for years before I actually signed up. Around the age of 14 I met a kid that listened to a lot of the same music as me and I chatted with him about bands on AIM. Somehow out of the blue he told me he had just downloaded Doom on to his computer. It was at that moment where I decided to stop being a closet Doomer. Me and him just started playing all kinds of megawads and talking about how far we got and shit. Damn I really wish I could relive those days when all the popular megawads were still new.

Around that same time I was making all kinds of little Doom maps, usually for Deathmatch to play against the ZCajun bots that came with older versions of ZDoom. I got started on a megawad that I made 8 maps for but I lost it or scrapped it or something. I had a plot and a theme for each episode of the megawad too. Wish I still had those maps, I remember pretty clearly that they were really good too. I had been emulating the style of Alien Vendetta and The Darkening E2 at the time.

Anyway. It wasn't until about a year ago that I decided I would actually FINISH something so I kinda developed a method of drawing out some kind of vague layout to designate a starting room and exit room and create everything in between. A problem I had kept running into at the time was that I would start a map and not be sure where I was going to end it, So if I designated start and end, I was much more likely to get it done. Now mapping is a lot more simplistic and formulaic for me than it used to be and the result is I'm much more capable of getting things done. Doom isn't really as invigorating as it used to be because the output of good wads isn't as high as it was 5 years ago but I feel like I have a duty here to make Doom as enjoyable for other people as I can by making more maps.

I rediscovered DOOM when I was 12 (after losing it when I was 6) or something, it was really sad when the DOOM95 shareware got accidently deleted.

so when I shortly discovered DOOM2 I really got intesevly stuck into it and then I spam tried any exe file I could get to puzzle with the IWADS that fell to my hands for discovering the dark depths of DOOM (but I clearly didnt learn more that any crazy shit can happen for unknown reasons), had fun with building and playing it since then, on the path, a year later, quake3 came in focus and indeed ID Software have made atleast two of the best games ever :)

My dad got the SNES DooM for me for my birthday sometime in the mid to late 90's. I got nightmares from the thing, scared me and my cuz to death. My screen was dark, couldn't fix it. I could only make out the 10 feet in front of me. The music scared me some with all the reverb, so I turned it off once. Silence was worse. I had to stop playing for a long time. Went on to Quake and Unreal before coming back to DooM.