Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fluuschoen

What gear do you use to play Doom (mouse, pad, keyboard, monitor)?

Mouse: Razer Mamba Elite with a Razer Goliathus Chroma Mousepad

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow V3

Monitor: Most of my gaming needs are currently handled by an ASUS 165hz 1080p monitor, with my old AOC 60hz monitor being an information assistant more than anythin'

Headphones: Razer Kraken Ultimate

PC: AMD RX 6600 XT for GPU, AMD Ryzen 3 3100 for CPU, 16 Gb memory, and an ASUSTek Prime B500-Plus motherboard

33 minutes ago, Fluuschoen said:

What did you got in there after the Huanos?

a pair of omron switches if i remember correctly. one of them has started double clicking every once in a while after 2 years but those huanos were triple and quadra clicking on both buttons by the time i ended up replacing them. the switches in the old optical microsoft intellimouse/wheel mice that i used to prefer would last much longer. i'd honestly still be using an intellimouse optical if it weren't for anti-cheat programs disliking hidusbf or whatever i was using to force the polling rate to 1000hz.

9 hours ago, BaileyTW said:

I think it's supposed to have 8gb of ram, it actually has 6 which I guess having this for 6 years has worn from it which I don't know enough about hardware to know if that works that way,

No, RAM doesn't erode like that. : > Most likely your GPU uses that 2 GB as VRAM.

9 hours ago, BaileyTW said:

To what I don't know, but that network adapter is quite shit and I would like to deathmatch some day.

Why don't you get a cheap, old desktop PC for that? I mean if you are fine with a CRT, you can even build a rig under like 100 bucks (with SSD an everything), which plays almost any classic Doom stuff (well, maybe except extremely resource-hogging GZDoom WADs) buttery smooth.

9 hours ago, heliumlamb said:

a pair of omron switches if i remember correctly. one of them has started double clicking every once in a while after 2 years but those huanos were triple and quadra clicking on both buttons by the time i ended up replacing them. the switches in the old optical microsoft intellimouse/wheel mice that i used to prefer would last much longer. i'd honestly still be using an intellimouse optical if it weren't for anti-cheat programs disliking hidusbf or whatever i was using to force the polling rate to 1000hz.

Well, there are quite a few types of Omrons out there. : > Basically there are the various Chinese crap (10M, 20M, 50M etc.), and there's the Japanese Omron D2F-01F, yumm.

9 hours ago, heliumlamb said:

the switches in the old optical microsoft intellimouse/wheel mice that i used to prefer would last much longer. i'd honestly still be using an intellimouse optical if it weren't for anti-cheat programs disliking hidusbf or whatever i was using to force the polling rate to 1000hz.

The Wheel Mouse Opticals and Intellimouse Opticals had many batches, but I believe they used Panasonic square switches

If you want good switches nowadays, look for these: Omron D2F-01F, Kailh GM 4.0, Kailh GM 8.0, TTC Gold Dustproof, TTC Pink

If you loved the Intellimouse, you might want to check out the Ninjutso Katana Ultralight.

ninjutso_katana_ultralight_1.jpg.e9fb5539d2654b13dcbf92a86574c314.jpg

Prolly the only worthy Intelli successor. 125 x 60,5 x 39 mm, 58 gramms, PixArt PMW 3389, Kailh GM 8.0 switches, TTC encoder, paracord, virgin grade PTFE, full Plug and Play; a man can't complain much. It even has a wireless version (with PixArt PAW 3370! and Huano Pink switches), which is only 2 gramms heavier. It's not using Logitech Lightspeed or Razer HyperSpeed technology, but it's quite adequate. If you haven't tried a lightweight mouse like this before, you absolutely should!

Also, if you are living in the US (well, you can order it from elsewhere, it's just that the shipping will be pricey, but still worth it imo), there's a relatively cheap mouse pad that can replace the gritty old Qck Heavy; PureTrak Talent / PureTrak Turbulence (it's the same, just different sizes and prints). You should look for the 6 mm thick ones, and if you don't like nice colors and such, you can get a plain black one. It's literally one of the best control pads out there, with buttersmooth surface. Sturdy, machine-washable stuff, been on the market for 10+ years. They are really a joy to use; SteelSeries has nothing on them! ; ) 

Edited by Fluuschoen

Mouse: an 4yo old mouse

Monitor: an Sony TV(My monitor is broken)

Keyboard: a A4Tech old keyboard

Speaker: an old PASCAL speaker

Mouse, keyboard, sound: any.

Monitor: quite big LG TV.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, Geforce GTX 1050, Arch Linux.

4 hours ago, Fluuschoen said:

No, RAM doesn't erode like that. : > Most likely your GPU uses that 2 GB as VRAM.

Why don't you get a cheap, old desktop PC for that? I mean if you are fine with a CRT, you can even build a rig under like 100 bucks (with SSD an everything), which plays almost any classic Doom stuff (well, maybe except extremely resource-hogging GZDoom WADs) buttery smooth.

Huh, kinda hella dishonest to market it has having 8gb ram then damn.

Kinda limited to a laptop due to space limitations (like physical space limitation). Don't know about hardware but especially not laptop hardware, so just gotta wait till I am forced to replace this one to get a better one.

3 hours ago, CoolerDoomeR said:

Mouse: an 4yo old mouse

That nicely narrowed it down to just a few thousand possible models. : D

40 minutes ago, BaileyTW said:

Huh, kinda hella dishonest to market it has having 8gb ram then damn.

Not really. It's basically a given that when a notebook doesn't have a dedicated GPU, then the IGP in the processor will use the system memory as VRAM.

43 minutes ago, BaileyTW said:

Kinda limited to a laptop due to space limitations (like physical space limitation). Don't know about hardware but especially not laptop hardware, so just gotta wait till I am forced to replace this one to get a better one.

I see. When you want to build some cheap, but nice stuff (or buying a new notebook), drop me a private message, I'll help!

18 minutes ago, Fluuschoen said:

That nicely narrowed it down to just a few thousand possible models. : D

Yes xD

1 minute ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Trackball.  (Logitech Ergo MX)

My favorite mouse so far.

I use a Kensington trackball for music on my secondary computer and swear by it. The few times I've used it with Doom to test music, it's somehow completely natural and makes me wonder why I never tried it with my main setup.

Mouse: Havit RGB Gaming mouse

Keyboard: Havit RGB Mech Keyboard

Mouse Pad: Desk Mat! 900x400mm RGB trim with some anime girls on it

Monitor: lol which one, main one is a 32" Samsung 4K, left is a 24" 1080p and right is a 32" 1080p TV

Headphones:  Sennheiser 599 HD SE

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9GHz - 4.5GHz

Mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT Nitro+ 8GB

RAM: 48GB

/home: WD Black Edition NVME SSD SN850 1TB

/root: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 256GB

storage drive: WD Red 10TB HDD

Not all of it, but enough

2 hours ago, DoomBoomer said:

I use just a computer with a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers.

I say witchcraft! Either that, or you're not being truthful.

I play on a laptop, the only external peripheral I use is a Logitech G203 mouse (no mousepad either).

Mouse = Razer Deathadder Elite

Mousepad = SteelSeries QcK Edge

Keyboard = Razer Cynosa Chroma

Monitor = ASUS VG278 27"

Headphones = HyperX Cloud II

Big fan of these tech / peripheral sharing threads! :)

On 3/2/2022 at 6:52 PM, NoisyVelvet said:

Trackball.  (Logitech Ergo MX)

My favorite mouse so far.

I always wondered how a good trackball would fare.

Mostly... I use A heavily modified and customized NEW 2DS XL , with a controller style hand grip. And its ready to go anywhere i go.  All my modifying/testing/configuring for DooM stuff  all happens on an Hp laptop.

PC: Positivo All-In-One, Intel Celeron N4000 Dual Core, 4GB RAM.
The mouse and the keyboard came with the PC.

My mousepad is simply a book detailing the history of the Wolkswagen Beetle.

It runs GZDOOM fine, btw.