Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julia Nechaevskaya

International Doom 7.4 / Heretic 7.0 / Hexen 7.0 (updated March 8, 2024)

Congratulations to this massive release, my friend! 

> ports can be considered for speedrunning/demo purposes

Missing "not"? ;)

hey, nice! hexen is finally closing the gap with its-siblings!

in general, I've always wanted to ask: what complevels and/or mapping standards does inter-doom support?

it's not that clear to me, when reading the readme@github or the page@doomwiki

I was only able to find some references to BOOM/MBF in the changelog

what about dehextra, mbf21?

(also: does the name change have something to do with what is going on around the Black Sea right now?)

Edited by Delfino Furioso

Missing "not"? ;)

Oh yes, fixed, thanks. I hope it wasn't my Freudian slip!

@Delfino Furioso, I'm afraid there is no support for -complevel's and BOOM/MBF/MBF21 at all. Supported mapping standards are limited to vanilla specifics, although there is support for extended nodes and ZDBsp nodes format (not in Hexen yet), so technically, port able load any Sunder map but progression will be halted once player reaches boom-specific map action. DehExtra also isn't supported. Wiki is a bit outdated, but updating it is something like updating a changelog - it's most boring thing to do which is always delayed for "tomorrow".

As about name... No, not exactly. In addition to my personal reasons, what was happened in Ukraine was a last drip of my patience. Honestly, I don't want to put much attention on this, but also don't want to associate my program with my country anymore.

Small afterword I've forgot to made this morning: changelogs for all three games are quite huge, so I'm not posting them here. I have some future plans for Hexen, so here's my "TODO / Unresolved / don't know what to do" list:

• Add support for ZDBsp nodes. They are working fine only when polyobjects rendering is disabled, not sure how to resolve this.
  • Sky and floor/ceiling textures scrolling is not smooth, they are always moving per one map pixel. Again, out of ideas.
  • Vanilla map fixes feature. This will allow to fix missing textures and too notable misalignments. But investigation of all original/DK maps will take a while.
  • Messages coloring. Pretty much same ho Heretic.

I have updated executables in current Heretic and Hexen releases - applied fix of potential silent crash when "Extra translucency" feature was turned off.

Sorry for this oversight and thanks @hfc2x for pointing out.

17 hours ago, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

I'm afraid there is no support for -complevel's and BOOM/MBF/MBF21 at all.

aw. that's a real bummer. this port is really cool for me so far.

I don't think it should be expected for these ports to have complevels considering they're not Boom ports. Inter Doom is basically "crispier" Crispy Doom and Inter Heretic/HeXen are pretty much Crispy Heretic/HeXen. 

Well, there's a few interesting features here, and I like how the port looks. Good job.

A few questions: is Inter Doom what was formerly known as Russian Doom? In other words, did Russian become Inter?

On another note, are more languages planned to be added?

On 2/27/2022 at 11:02 PM, Alaux said:

A few questions: is Inter Doom what was formerly known as Russian Doom? In other words, did Russian become Inter?

Can answer this - That's the case. 

On 2/27/2022 at 5:58 PM, Redneckerz said:

@Julia Nechaevskaya could it be worth while to rename to the shortened name tht you are already using - InterDoom? It has a nicer ring to it than International Doom :)

Good idea, I agree "International Doom" is a somewhat awkward name for the port formerly-known-as Russian Doom, given the strong connotation of those two words with the long-established and unrelated International Doom League.

Edit: Hmm, okay, Quasar pushed ahead on the name change on the wiki already. But it could be changed again...

Edited by Xymph

Sorry, I'm not very communicative last days.

Having a BOOM/MBF/MBF21 support could be a greatest step forward. But while imagining amount of implementation job hand are dropping immediately. Even without "complevels", BOOM-related stuff is not just a bunch of extra line actions, it is also support for some extra lumps (ANIMATED, SWITCHES, ...) and rendering tricks (FakeFlat and probably others). And needless to say that MBF21 support can be done only in extremely polished BOOM initials. I simply will not handle this all, and there are already many well-known ports with proper BOOM support, so the best I can do is just stuck with vanilla specs.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:02 AM, Alaux said:

is Inter Doom what was formerly known as Russian Doom? In other words, did Russian become Inter?

On another note, are more languages planned to be added?

Exactly, it is formerly Russian Doom. I haven't changed/removed anything translation-related though.

I don't have any plans for support additional languages. Not only because I don't know them and can't say is translation good or not, but also because current implementation works fine only with two languages.

On 2/27/2022 at 9:46 PM, Gibbon said:

Very nice!  Also, the DOS version is pretty sweet too.

Thanks! It's a bit outdated in terms of options and stuff, but it was really fun to mess with. Some DOS-specific code is pure black magic, honestly. Maybe I'll update it some time later, but that's not in priority. It's like a demo-scene nowadays, but dang, why not?

14 hours ago, Xymph said:

Edit: Hmm, okay, Quasar pushed ahead on the name change on the wiki already. But it could be changed again...

Thanks for updating DoomWiki! No, name revertion will not happen. More of that, it brought some really unnecessary hype...

Rename itself was planned couple of months before, but what was happened couple of days ago was a last drip of my patience.

I'm totally okay with variations like "InterDoom" or "Inter-hexen finally Done well (but can be even better!)" or whatever everyone like to use as internal name, but please, let's just stop here and consider renaming job is done.

Really liking these ports, and very thankful as a big fan of Hexen to have a decent and more faithful alternative to GZDoom. Excellent work!

Happy 8th March! Here's a small point-release before I would like to jump to "work on Hexen only" mode, at least for some time.

International Doom 5.2.1 (2022-03-08):

International Heretic 5.1.1 (2022-03-08):

Changelog:

• [Doom only] Fixed incorrect distance calculation for sound volume, which was causing sounds always play in full volume (thanks RICALHO MILOS).
  • [Heretic only] Crosshair now appearing in the center of the screen when automap isn't following player.
  • Optimized program startup time: should be much faster if no custom PLAYPAL lump is loaded.
  • Implemented new feature "Imitate player's breathing" (available in Gameplay Features / Gameplay menu). By enabling, camera will smoothly move up and down, making player's view less static.
  • Added mouse movement smoothing while running uncapped framerate mode (thanks Michael Day).

@blackthorn, mostly rendering/aesthetic/attention to detail improvements, but with keeping "game as game". I have resolved most of code puzzles regarding interpolation (sky/wall/floor textures scrolling) already, but there are still things to to. "Greatest" plan is probably taking care about notable texture misalignments, but without including modified maps. This is not going fast, because first it's require tons of hours in UDB's Visual mode, then double checking, then triple checking, then checking in actual game.

I have tested the truecolor renderer from custom Crispy Doom builds and I gotta say I am absolutely amazed by the visual results. No more color banding, no greyscale ugliness with increasing distance, Pinkies remain pink at all times etc. And all that while keeping the general characteristics of the software renderer! I hope one day this feature is advanced enough so it can be used in Heretic and Hexen as well, plus becoming a toggle in the menu. With all the options International Doom already brings to the table, this would be the cherry on the top. Fingers crossed!

Edited by NightFright

Great port, i`m using it a lot! Its Crispy Doom with lot of QoL, love it! Btw its possible to add 1080p resolution options? Or Crispy Doom base not allowing this?

One thing I've noticed and can't seem to pin down a cause for is that I'm experiencing frequent (although seemingly random) microstuttering issues, particularly in Inter-Doom. I'm definitely not on a low-end PC by any means, and Inter-Doom is reporting pretty stable frame rates, but for some reason I'm getting pretty regular and very obvious split-second stutters during play. I've been experimenting with every possible combination of frame capping and v-sync, both in-game and in my graphics card settings, but nothing seems to make a difference. I usually cap at 60fps, but am able to achieve much higher rates than this with no issue. The stuttering persists whatever I set the cap to. I haven't experienced this with any other source ports and I'm at a bit of a loss now.

6 hours ago, Zaratul said:

[...] Btw its possible to add 1080p resolution options? Or Crispy Doom base not allowing this?

For that you can/should use PrBoom+ (even though it only provides Doom support). I doubt the renderer used in Crispy/Inter Doom would be performing well enough in resolutions beyond their current limits. 

Also something to consider: Pixelation is an important aspect of the vanilla-like experience these ports are aiming for. Increase resolution too much and it simply looks too "clean". Maybe 800x600 is still somewhat acceptable, but anything higher than that is certainly counter-productive.

Edited by NightFright

Well that is my point. A little more clean (optional) visuals might be usefull. And i know about PrBoom, i use it myself. :)

But 1080p with all Crispy\InterDoom features and proper Hexen\Heretic support would be great.

PrBoom+ would be cool for me if the color depth menu option worked for software rendering, but you won't get more than 8bpp, which is a pity.

Advantages of PrBoom+ over Crispy/Inter Doom:

+ Software rendering with resolutions > 640x400

+ Boom compatible maps work

Downsides:

- No widescreen rendering of low "classic" resolutions

- Automap without original Doom colors

- Only supports Doom (rather minor issue)

- Menu is a mess

I dunno whether I would go beyond 400p if an option was available, but in combination with 32-bit software rendering... who knows. 800x600×32bpp in widescreen could be something I'd like to check out. 

Edited by NightFright

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

- No widescreen rendering of low "classic" resolutions

That's available since PrBoom+ 2.6.2.

back to Int'l Doom..

I would really like a folder-based autoload feature instead of the current .cfg-based more one

a "-noautoload" parameter would also be appreciated...

these are the features that would make me switch from crispy to inter

Right now it works via .ini entries. But it's limited, e.g. you can only have a max of 4 PWADs autoloaded. That might be enough in most cases, but it still feels like a step backwards compared to the autoload system with its "drop as many files into the right filter folder and it's done" approach. Crispy Doom and even PrBoom+ are doing it better regarding that.