Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julia Nechaevskaya

International Doom 7.4 / Heretic 7.0 / Hexen 7.0 (updated March 8, 2024)

Phew, it took one extra month in planned two months development cycle, but it is worth it. Doom now have optionally scrolling/flowing liquids on vanilla maps and improved brightmaps. Hexen now have various interpolations, small improvements and tons of texture offset corrections on vanilla maps. Heretic, well, it's fine too.

Sorry, I'm not very responsive in incoming feedback sometimes, but this is not the end of the development. Small vacation could be nice, though.

Kind greetings and personal thanks to Michael Day (@mikeday) for bits of Hexen interpolation code, Dasperal for keeping co-authoring, and everyone else for the interest!

International Doom 5.3 (released: June 12, 2022):

Changelog:

Spoiler

Technical improvements

• Upgraded brightmaps to use colors from game palette to provide better mod compatibility with custom COLORMAPs (thanks Brad Harding and Fabian Greffrath). Additionally, animated brightmaps of light sources.
  • Fixed bug with MIDI music still playing when music volume is set to 0 (by Dasperal).
  • Fixed bug with mouse acceleration slider can exit min/max limit (by Dasperal).
  • Fixed bug with value of libsamplerate_scale being set to 0 due to locale mishap (by Fabian Greffrath).
  • Enabled sound precaching when libsamplerate is disabled or not compiled.
  • This prevents nasty hick-ups during playing (by Fabian Greffrath, thanks vanfanel).
  • Upgraded graphical patches coloring to HSV algorithm (thanks Fabian Greffrath and Paul Haeberli).
  • Completely rewritten status bar and messages system for simpler and hopefully faster implementation
  • (thanks Raven Software for general idea and bits of code).
  • Updated SDL library to version 2.0.22.
  • Removed support of legacy config format used in versions before 5.1.
  • If you previously used legacy version firstly update to one of the intermediate versions (by Dasperal).
  • Enhanced keybindings system (by Dasperal).
    • Added support for all scancodes available in SDL. This should add ability to bind every possible button.
    • Allowed to input characters from numpad in vanilla_keyboard_mapping mode.
    • Added key bindings for previously hardcoded shortcuts.
    • Implemented sections for keybindings previously present in Setup.
    • This allows to bind different functions to one key if those functions do not overlap in game.
    • Added "Reset controls..." menu item on the last page of "Customize controls" menu.
    • Two default control schemas available: Recommended and Original.
    • Added default key bindings for gamepad.
  • Windows 11: Disabled rounding of game window corners (thanks Dasperal, Roman Fomin, kmeaw).
  • Fixed crash on shutdown under Linux if fullscreen was enabled (by Dasperal).
  • Fixed capitalization of result message of -timedemo (by Dasperal).

Gameplay Features

• Added new various crosshair types and ability to set translucency.
  • Shortened "Kills/Items/Secret" HUD widget to "K/I/S", skill level showing now optional (thanks NightFright). Additionally, coloring logic improved and coloring is now on by default.
  • Renamed "Swirling liquids" feature to "Liquids animation", added flowing and scrolling effect to liquids on vanilla maps of Doom 1, Doom 2, TNT and Plutonia.
  • Specters no longer bleeds fuzzy blood by default, but fuzzy blood can be set back by setting "on+fuzz" in Colored Blood feature.
  • Extended thing colors by IDDT cheat code: alive monsters now colored red, Lost Souls and explosive barrels are colored yellow, consumables are colored green and the rest of things are colored gray.

International Heretic 5.2 (released: June 12, 2022):

Changelog:

Spoiler

Technical improvements

• Upgraded brightmaps to use colors from game palette to provide better mod compatibility with custom COLORMAPs (thanks Brad Harding and Fabian Greffrath).
  • Scrolling of floor textures now interpolated. Engine now can scroll even 64x64 floor textures properly.
  • Removed ambient sound limit (thanks Fabian Greffrath).
  • Fixed bug with MIDI music still playing when music volume is set to 0 (by Dasperal).
  • Fixed bug with mouse acceleration slider can exit min/max limit (by Dasperal).
  • Fixed bug with value of libsamplerate_scale being set to 0 due to locale mishap (by Fabian Greffrath).
  • This prevents nasty hick-ups during playing (by Fabian Greffrath, thanks vanfanel).
  • Upgraded graphical patches coloring to HSV algorithm (thanks Fabian Greffrath and Paul Haeberli).
  • Removed support of legacy config format used in versions before 5.1.
  • If you previously used legacy version firstly update to 5.1 (by Dasperal).
    • Added support for all scancodes available in SDL. This should add ability to bind every possible button.
    • This allows to bind different functions to one key if those functions do not overlap in game.
    • Added "Reset controls..." menu item on the last page of "Customize controls" menu.
  • Fixed bug with gamepad axes wasn't scaled (by Dasperal).
  • Windows 11: Disabled rounding of game window corners (thanks Dasperal, Roman Fomin, kmeaw).
  • Fixed capitalization of result message of -timedemo (by Dasperal).

Gameplay Features

• Shortened "Kills/Items/Secret" HUD widget to "K/I/S", skill level showing now optional (thanks NightFright). Additionally, added coloring feature.

International Hexen 5.1 (released: June 12, 2022):

Changelog:

Spoiler

Technical improvements

• Upgraded brightmaps to use colors from game palette to provide better mod compatibility with custom COLORMAPs (thanks Brad Harding and Fabian Greffrath).
  • Fixed potential crash while drawing some sprites with "Extra Translucency" feature disabled (thanks hfc2x).
  • Reduced startup time if no custom PLAYPAL is loaded.
  • Added mouse movement smoothing while running uncapped framerate mode (thanks Michael Day).
  • Removed MAX_ANIM_DEFS (amount of defined textures in ANIMDEFS lump) vanilla limit (thanks Fabian Greffrath).
  • Removed MAX_FRAME_DEFS (amount of texture animation frames in ANIMDEFS lump ) vanilla limit.
  • Removed support of legacy config format used in versions before 5.0.
  • If you previously used legacy version firstly update to 5.0 (by Dasperal).
  • Fixed bug with gamepad axes wasn't scaled (by Dasperal).

Rendering

• Scrolling of sky textures now interpolated.
  • Scrolling of wall textures now interpolated.
  • Scrolling of floor textures now interpolated. Engine now can scroll even 64x64 floor textures properly.
  • Moving polyobjects now interpolated (thanks Michael Day).
  • Earthquake now properly interpolated, fixed missing effect in capped (35 fps) mode (thanks Michael Day).
  • Glitter bridge orbit now much smoother.
  • Wooden spike raising/lowering animation now interpolated.

Game Mechanics

• Player now fly up by pressing jump key while active Wings of Wrath (thanks Dasperal).
  • Improved falling leafs (id 113) physics. Now they:
    • Can fly down from tall ledges.
    • No longer stucking in non-shootable objects.
    • Flowing and sinking in water/sludge, disappearing in lava floors.

Menu

• Implemented messages colorization.
  • Implemented random player class selection.
  • Added Mouse acceleration and threshold adjustment sliders into Controls menu (thanks RICALHO MILOS).

Gameplay Features

• Implemented "Fix errors on vanilla maps" feature. It will fix various texture misalignments on original Hexen and Death Kings maps.
  • Added "Swirling liquids" feature.
  • Implemented "Imitate player's breathing" feature.
  • Implement various crosshair types.

Automap

• Crosshair now appearing in the center of the screen when automap isn't following player.
  • Implemented variable grid size.
  • Implemented variable marks color.

Edited by Julia Nechaevskaya

1 hour ago, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

Kind greetings and personal thanks to Michael Day (@mikeday) for bits of Hexen interpolation code, Dasperal for keeping co-authoring, and everyone else for the interest!

It was my pleasure! I had a lot of fun collaborating with you on that effort.

I have updated InterDoom executables in released archives, download links are same. This fixed random crashes on savegame loading, restores proper support for values above 999 in status bar (notably on DBZDOOM2, thanks cubebert) and add better migration mechanism from previous versions of config files (thanks Dasperal).

Sorry, it was my bad, release day was a very long day.

Ahah, imagine my face when I tried switching the language in the International Doom, and it switched me from Russian to English, and then back again. I thought it somehow attached to my OS language, which is why only gives me two languages to pick. Then I read the thread.

Thanks for a good laugh, had me confused for a minute)))

On 6/15/2022 at 12:30 AM, lisiczka said:

Ahah, imagine my face when I tried switching the language in the International Doom, and it switched me from Russian to English, and then back again. I thought it somehow attached to my OS language, which is why only gives me two languages to pick. Then I read the thread.

Thanks for a good laugh, had me confused for a minute)))

epic

Sixth anniversary of the project! This is a new major version, with lots of performance and stability improvements, with fully restored compatibility with vanilla demos (complevels 0-4) and 100% original game mechanics, available in one simple menu item.

International Doom 6.0 (released: September 16, 2022)

Demo compatibility restored

Full compatibility with "vanilla" demos now restored. This includes complevel-standards, recorded under original DOS executables and famous demo-friendly source ports like Crispy Doom, PrBoom+ and DSDA Doom:

• 0 – Doom v1.2
  • 1 – Doom v1.666
  • 2 – Doom v1.9
  • 3 – Ultimate Doom
  • 4 – Final Doom

Demos recorded under Inter-Doom are also playable in respective engines.

Optional 100% vanilla game mechanics

There are numerous small bug fixes which sometimes affect game mechanics more or less. Some of them are optional, but many are not, and previously was disabled only in -vanilla game mode. Having dozens of micro-switches for all possible fixes was a no-go, so I've added one simple menu item, available in the Gameplay section: «Game Mechanics: Strict vanilla mode». By setting it to «on», all fixes will be disabled for retaining 100% original game mechanics.
No changes will be made to the values of "unsafe" gameplay options, they just be shaded to indicate their inactivity. 

In more simple words: if you prefer accurate gameplay, set this option to «on». If you prefer casual gameplay, then leave this option as «off».

Note: while demo playing or recording, all fixes are always disabled for compatibility reasons.

New screen renderer: OpenGL ES 2.0

Or blitter, or backend, or scaling api, or whatever you prefer, available in the Rendering menu. In practice, it is faster than usual Direct 3D and may give more FPS in both common usage and -timedemo benchmarking. To make sure is it better for your system, you can try to run -timedemo benchmark with both renderers
and see which one is giving more average FPS. Example of benchmarking command:

inter-doom.exe -timedemo demo1

However, it has a notable limitation on Windows OS – it's not very friendly with screen capturing software.

Full change log (beware, it's huge!):

Spoiler

Technical improvements

• Significant performance improvements have been made to level loading time and rendering functions.
  • Slightly optimized memory consumption.
  • Reduced loading time of vanilla levels with "Fix errors on vanilla maps" feature enabled.
  • Port now supports ANIMATED and SWITCHES lumps (thanks Fabian Greffrath).
  • Removed MAXSPECIALCROSS vanilla limit.
  • Added --version command line parameter (by Dasperal).
  • Updated SDL_mixer library to 2.6.1 (by Dasperal).
  • Updated SDL_net library to 2.2.0.
  • Updated libogg and libmodplug libraries to versions bundled with SDL_mixer 2.6.1 (by Dasperal).
  • Updated zlib library to 1.2.12 (by Dasperal).
  • Made -nodehlump command line parameter full alias of -nodeh (by Dasperal).
  • Removed -netdemo command line parameter. Use -solo-net instead (by Dasperal).
  • Added -map alias for -warp command lime parameter and extend their syntax with E<x>M<y> for Doom and MAP<x> for Doom 2 (thanks GreenCake, by Dasperal).
  • Added -lang <lang> command line parameter to force language on startup. Valid values are: en, ru (by Dasperal).
  • Added --help (-h, -help, /?, -?) command line parameter which prints out all available command line parameters and their description. Affected by -lang (by Dasperal).
  • Fixed Windows native MIDI transitions across level changes (thanks ceski-1).
  • Added support for Doom 1 IWADs version 1.0 and 1.1.
  • Added -shorttics command line parameter for playing with low turning resolution to emulate demo recording.
  • Added bash completion and Man pages on Linux (by Dasperal).
  • Binaries on Linux now installed to game instead of bin (by Dasperal).
  • Added component-based install when building from sources (see COMPILING.MD) (by Dasperal).
  • Added -complevel <0-4> command line parameter.

Bug fixes

• Fixed bug when the status bar background was turned into Tutti-Frutti effect. It was causing rare silent crashes as well.
  • Fixed incorrect monster movement speeds provided in Dehacked patches. Notably in REKKR's Jackalope monsters.
  • Fixed possible crash on drawing fuzzy sprites as translucent sprites. Notably in STRAIN's BFG ball explosion with enabled translucency. (thanks Daniil Petrov).
  • Negative health is showing correctly when a player dies by voodoo doll kill.
  • Fixed non-working brown/red color translation.
  • Fixed barely notable weapon shaking while closing automap.

Demos

• Restored full compatibility with Doom 1.2/1.25, 1.6/1.666, 1.9, Ultimate Doom and Final Doom demos (a.k.a. complevels 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4).
  • Spy mode (F12) now showing status bar and messages of chosen player.
  • Demo recording/playback timer now using HH:MM:SS.MS values.
  • Fixed incorrect demo timer value and demo bar length for multiplayer demos (thanks Fabian Greffrath and Roman Fomin).
  • Fixed incorrect length of demo progress bar in emulated 4:3 screen of wide screen mode.

Multiplayer

• Level Time widget will be replaced with Timer if -timer parameter is present.
  • In Deathmatch mode full automap is revealed initially.
  • Added interpolation and fixed incorrect angles for all players.
  • Added support for color translation of "translucent" fuzz effect. Players with partial invisibility are now colored properly.

Gameplay

• Added new option "Game mechanics: strict vanilla mode" for restoring full vanilla game mechanics.
  • Level fixes: kept only small texture fixes and removed all others. Enabled feature now safe for demos and network games.
  • Added an option to display disk icon activity on top of the screen.
  • Dead monsters placed on maps now also can be randomly flipped.
  • The blue and red Wolfenstein background is now shown only in original Doom II upon entering MAP31 and MAP32 respectively.
  • Gameplay Features: removed "Aggressive Lost Souls" features as an obscure and added "Default Skill Level".

Visual

• Further improvements have been made to animated glowing brightmaps (Flaming Barrel, Evil Eye and Floating Skull Rock objects):
    • Animation is now smoother.
    • Objects no longer unlit sometimes while wipe animation of game loading.
    • Safer code.
  • Crushed monsters resurrected by Arch-Vile (a.k.a. "Ghost monsters").
  • now more translucent and having less color saturation for more "ghostly" effect if "Colored blood and corpses" feature is enabled.
  • Status bar weapon is no longer "shaking" for one frame while bobbing and toggling automap on/off.
  • Improved contrast of CR_GREEN coloring translation table for better matching up of other colors.

Status Bar

• Transparent sign FRAGS will appear in Deathmatch instead of ARMS.
  • Face background representing player color in netgame again.
  • Berserk pack no longer appearing on status bar with a background while active automap.

Cheat codes

• Added BUDDHA cheat code (thanks Roman Fomin).
  • Added KILLEM cheat code, which kills every monster on the level. TNTEM still here and doing the same thing, but it explodes monsters.
  • Reimplemented VERSION cheat code (by Dasperal).

Intermission screen

• Improved text skipping: double pressing of ATTACK/USE button no longer needed once the text is fully printed.

Automap

• Redrawing of map lines while player movement, panning and zooming now interpolated (thanks Roman Fomin).
  • Fixed possible automap lines overflow/disappearing near the edges of huge maps (thanks Andrey Budko).
  • Things drawn by IDDT cheat now have their actual radius.

Small afterword

Exactly six years ago first version was released. Not very long time comparing to other projects, but quite a long time in terms of real life. A lot of things happened and changed, a lot of experience gained. This all is for good, because it have to be. I honestly don't know what else to say. :)

I would like to sincerely thank my colleagues, Leonid Murin (Dasperal), Roman Fomin and Fabian Greffrath for being nearby. Thanks to Kraflab for creating DSDA Archive which I was using as home theater while restoring demo compatibility (BTW, may I have a VIP ticket?). And of course, thanks everyone who find this project useful!

@blackthorn, thanks! Sure, GL ES will be added to next version of Heretic and Hexen, nothing more than extra menu item is needed. I'm also planning to restore demo compatibility and optional vanilla mechanics as well for these games, but this will take a while. For now, H&H are working pretty well for casual single player, but demo compatibility and strict original mechanics are also a Thing, especially if user want them.

Small point release. Have to say, I was too focused on playtesting with strict vanilla mechanics and even haven't noticed that hitstan attacks were broken in non-strict mode. Oh well, now they are fine.

International Doom 6.0.1 (released: September 24, 2022)

Changes:

Bug fixes

• Fixed broken hitscan attacks in non-strict gameplay mode (thanks willsmanic).

Improvements

• Fixed false positive on Virustotal for inter-doom.com console wrapper (by Leonid Murin (Dasperal)).
  • Improved brightmap of COMPUTE1 texture (thanks NightFright).
  • Better synchronization code for animated textures and flats (thanks Jeff Doggett and Arsinikk).
  • On Linux, binaries now again installed to "bin" directory. Directory "games" isn't recognized by all distros (by Leonid Murin (Dasperal)).
  • Small improvements of texture alignment on Doom E2M4.

Does International Hexen have support for the Deathkings of the Dark Citadel expansion pack? and if not, will there be support for it in the future?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 🎄

This version of Inter-Doom provides full compatibility for Knee-Deep in KDiZD and any other possible mods with complicated mapping tricks.

Inter-Heretic now have restored demo compatibility and optional 100% vanilla game mechanics.

There are a lot of other improvements. Please refer to changelogs, but beware: they are quite huge. 🤓

International Doom 6.1 (released: December 31, 2022):

International Heretic 6.0 (released: December 31, 2022):

Awesome stuff as always! Happy new Year!!

Edit: I've been meaning to ask, what all compatible mods from Doom Retro are there? I know of Black Ops and Smoothed, both of which work great.

Great stuff! Really glad to have the OpenGL renderer available in Heretic now. I love these ports but for some reason I get weird periodic frame-dropping issues with the D3D renderer that I haven't been able to eliminate no matter what I try (vsync on or off, various levels of framerate capping). No such issues with the OpenGL one though. I know I asked this last release, but will International Hexen get an update soon with the OpenGL renderer in place?

Thanks for kind words!

@nickxcom, not sure about exactly DR-specific, but Vanilla Doom smooth weapons definitely worth to check out!

@blackthorn, that's odd. What is your CPU, video card and monitor refresh rate? Sure, adding GL ES to Hexen is very simple, all I have to do is to add menu item, upper-level code will do the rest. Ideally, demo sync for Hexen should also be fixed as well, but same to Heretic, this will take much more time.

Some good news: I was working on quad rendering resolution. AFAIR, it was suggested to different ports from topic to topic, and I decided to try to implement it, and surprisingly it go up pretty quick. First impressions were like "damn, it's impressive!", visually everything almost same in close distance and more sharp in far. And it still keeps some pixelated appearance, which is most important.

But I have to make an important note here: it comes with it's price. Can't say it is slow, no, the problem is different - it's "expensive" in terms of calculations. Imagine, double resolution requires 4x screen rendering (doubled horizontal multiplied by doubled vertical), while quad resolution requires 16x (quad horizontal multiplied by quad vertical).

Screenshots probably will not show all the difference, but here they are, in 21:9 aspect ratio: original (320x200), double (640x400), quad (1280x800)

This is HUGE! Thank You for this! Looking forward to newest InterDoom version with this option implemented. :)

Hey there!

Just wanted to congratulate you for the excellent work you've done with all three ports, especially for the Raven Games.

I did want to report a sequence break I experimented while playing Deathkings of the dark citadel that I can't seem to replicate in Dsda-Doom and GZDoom. In the second hub, it complains about a script near the portal to Locus Requiescat. Here's the message that pops up in both water valves. Compiled from source for Artix Linux if it helps.

Spoiler

image.png.52bd6a6fe0b5705364345ecd5da3bcf1.png

20 hours ago, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

Screenshots probably will not show all the difference

difference is huge, I like this idea

19 hours ago, xX_Lol6_Xx said:

In the second hub, it complains about a script near the portal to Locus Requiescat. Here's the message that pops up in both water valves.

My bad, sorry. It comes with texture alignment fixes - script executable number accidently gets zeroed out. I've merged fix already, but probably this will require level restart via INIT cheat. Alas, my lack of interest for Hexen doing it's bad thing - non-technical improvements which require real playtesting never tested much.

Honestly, I haven't though that quadres will have such interest. 😊 Maybe I should publish a small point-release for all three games?

Hexen already have GL ES and quadres, along with some rendering optimizations, but restoring demo sync and 100% vanilla gameplay is a long story which can wait for next release. At the moment it is fine for casual playing only, despite of gameplay improvements aren't massive and mostly stands for bug-fixing only, but waiting another 2-3 month for proper release seems to be too long.

But anyways, I would like to spent couple days of testing quadres first, just to be sure that everything is fine. It is fine in fact, engine still able to load and render extreme scenes with thousands segs/visplanes/sprites as well as simple levels like on episode one of Doom I. And of course, play through Hexen DK - turns out, released version have soft-lock on Constable's Gate level.

12 hours ago, Julia Nechaevskaya said:

Maybe I should publish a small point-release for all three games? 

yes, with Constable's Gate bugfixes

Quad resolution is here and available for all games! It can be set in «Rendering / Rendering resolution», values are:

• Low: classic 320x200
  • Middle: crispy 640x400
  • High: gluttonous 1280x800

Unfortunately, I was not lucky to make it hot-swappable, so this is yet another feature which require program restart. Not much happened in Doom and Heretic since last releases. Hexen, though, got many technical improvements including OpenGL ES render and assembled fourth weapon widget, but proper demo sync is still pending, it's not the thing that can be done fast, alas.

International Doom 6.2 (released: January 15, 2023):

International Heretic 6.1 (released: January 15, 2023):

International Hexen 6.0 (released: January 15, 2023):

This is fucking HUGE! After that change this source port is gonna be ma way to go if i want playing Doom\Heretic\Hexen games. Big thank You for this.

Releasing a small point release for all three games. It fixes broken color translation indexes, causing colored blood and menu sliders using wrong colors (by @Dasperal, thanks Meerschweinmann). No other changes were made.

International Doom 6.2.1 (released: January 17, 2023):

International Heretic 6.1.1 (released: January 17, 2023):

International Hexen 6.0.1 (released: January 17, 2023):

Windows: inter-hexen-6.0.1-windows-x86.zip

Windows (x64): inter-hexen-6.0.1-windows-x64.zip

As a huge Hexen fan, I'd like to thank you for providing the definitive source port to play my second-favorite Doom engine game! 

Also, Trans pride B)

9 hours ago, Ludi said:

As a huge Hexen fan, I'd like to thank you for providing the definitive source port to play my second-favorite Doom engine game! 

Also, Trans pride B)

I like Strife better personally, combat's more engaging in the former.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:21 AM, LadyMistDragon said:

I like Strife better personally, combat's more engaging in the former.

@Christophine Place

When playing Alien Vendetta and the first demo plays (deathmatch)  International doom doesn't let me load my save complaining that a multiplayer game is going on.  I can start a new game and load a save from there but the max kills will always show zero.

Thank you for your work on this port. Ever since I've first tried it, it's become my go-to port for playing the vanilla Doom WADs along with any other non-GZDoom WAD. Having already tried out a decent amount of ports, I have to say that this is easily my favorite "Vanilla+" port of them all. I especially like the wide amount of customizations available in the options menu, the great implementation of a minimal HUD (kudos for the idea of making a minimal HUD by simply removing the background of the original one!) and Heretic/Hexen support, the latter being the reason why I had been looking for an alternative source port to begin with.

If there's some minor advice I could give, I wouldn't mind seeing a way to choose a PWAD from some sort of in-game menu, rather than having to load it from the command-line. Not that I have any problems with the latter, but it would make for a nice addition if it's not too troublesome to implement.

Hope you continue to support this!