Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lawrence

Venom Pits

Name: Venom Pits
Map Format: Doom
Ports Tested: GZDoom w/Brutal Doom mod, kinda sorta DOS DOOM V1.9
IWAD: DOOM2.EXE or compatible
Map(s): START (enter command `MAP START`)
Music: Me
Gameplay: Single player, multiplayer co-op, not deathmatch
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Multiplayer Placement: Yes
Build Time: About a month
Textures: ID Software (no new textures)
Requirements: Recommended but not strictly needed: freelook

Here's a WAD I've created called Venom Pits.

Venom Pits.zip

It's been about a year since I've last created/released a WAD - my previous ones are Fairchild Island, Loveland Factory, and Serenity Castle.  Originally, I was trying to make a level that fit into PSX DOOM limitations, but gave up (could not make the 1500 SIDEDEF limit).  I nonetheless decided to keep going, and try to fit into Vanilla DOOM limitations.

Venom Pits will probably take about 10 minutes of your time to play.

While this is likely loadable in DOS or Vanilla DOOM, I don't think it will be fun to play unless you have auto-aim disabled, and GZDoom's freelook, close-range aggro behavior of Brutal DOOM monsters, and the cool fire and lighting effects of GZDoom/Brutal DOOM.  I quit testing in DOS DOOM about 2/3 the way through development.

This map has no revenants, Arch-viles, Cyberdemons, or Spider Masterminds.

Thanks for checking it out and I appreciate any and all feedback.  The latest version's home is here: https://github.com/lawrencecandilas/venom-pits and on there is also the older WAD meant for DOS DOOM (VENOMPIT.WAD) - it has a different design for the last room than the WAD here.

35752333_VenomPits-TitlePic.png.ff865a66935e40f6d41b034c562b15d6.png

Here's the map:

2093956447_VenomPits-Map.png.122cb03f031d6f17d28d9175d2ad6251.png

Screenshots:

2083403218_VenomPits-ScreenShot1.png.7bab7a8b16ae01e7eb74ba8b3c5c90d6.png1728907093_VenomPits-ScreenShot3.png.fd0de76ceb8ac2382d942416b2c0f9fb.png172747500_VenomPits-ScreenShot6.png.f986abe8a759e944f2273792bcb7acdb.png1619342515_VenomPits-ScreenShot9.png.2c65528956d5cd82dff3905a31971801.png

Edited by Lawrence : make download link more visible

When I pick up the secret invulnerability sphere GZDoom crashes. It happened twice so the first time wasn't a fluke. I am running version 4.7.1.

Edit: I found a version 4.1.1 copy of GZDoom and it doesn't crash so I guess it's something to do with newer versions?

Update: just ran through it again and didn't crash this time. Now I am confused.

Edited by ScrappyMcDoogerton

Weird.  I'm using 4.5.0 64-bit with Brutal Doom v21 and it does not crash.  Gonna download and try 4.7.1 now ...

Update: Just downloaded 4.7.1 and ran through the map.  Didn't crash on me.

Edited by Lawrence : Downloaded and tested with 4.7.1

The thing which stood out the most to me is that you used several Arachnotrons in places where they couldn't be used to their full potential, due to the high amount of cover or being placed around sharp corners. They're not too threatening in those cases because you get an early SSG and they have a high pain chance.

@Delisk - I was so hoping you could find the rocket launcher, lol.  I think I could almost hear you cussing at the very last arachnotron lol.

@Biodegradable - I'll fix that texture.  Regarding the music, surprisingly I haven't actually ever played Fallout.  I checked out a bit of the soundtrack and see the similarity though. 

@azerty - I'll fix that unpegged texture, too. Always some stragglers.  You were so close to the 2nd secret ... 

I'm glad to see that the wad is completable without the rocket launcher (I didn't try doing that myself.)

Thanks all very much for taking it for a spin and posting. :)