Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Senor Cacodemon

First Doom Experience: Freedoom?

My first actual doom experience was freedoom phase 2, and I still love the game. I don't know why but whenever I launch up the game and here the first midi, it just makes me feel a nostalgic type of sad because of how far I have dove into doom ever since I first played the game. I say that I am blessed to ever be brought into this community or ever even play doom, even freedoom. Thanks community for existing and bring a happy smile to my face everyday!

My first experience with Freedoom was in 2006. Back then it was not even close to what it is now. I think that version of Freedoom is crap when you compare it to newest version. Current version of Freedoom is actually very good and really fun to play.

yeah my first time playing Freedoom was in 2007, probably the same-ish build that DoomBoomer is talking about. I only really remember that it seemed like a pale and unfinished imitation of doom. i was off the face of planet earth from 2008 to 2021. i rediscovered it last year and it is awesome now. i now play most wads with Freedoom iwads instead of doom, even though i have all the gog versions of the official games. I think the textures of Freedoom are almost universally better. The enemy sprites could use some work in places, specifically the awful boots on the human sprites, the brain-seeking zombie arms on the pistolguy, and the weird pain* bird robots. i like that it has become it's own thing. there is some cool changes potentially coming to some enemies down the pipeline, according to the prs on freedoom github and some of the stuff i saw ppl discussing on the discord. i personally love the new barney the dinosaur for the baron and the octopusdroid for the rev. music is hit and miss. i don't like the slow atmospheric crap that is used in some levels (i don't like it in orginal doom either) i much prefer the fastpaced punk/thrash/metal vibe for killing stuff. i eagerly await a new fist for punching.

My first real experience with the Doom engine was Freedoom: Phase 2. This was back in 2012, I think. I distinctly remember playing version 0.9, perhaps earlier. The sprites have come a long way, but I'm especially impressed by the quality and detail in the maps, even compared to the original Doom/DoomII map sets. I almost exclusively use the Freedoom IWAD to play mods from the idgames archive; the assets are just very good and aesthetically pleasing.

My first experience of Freedoom was "Wait, what is this??? Is this Doom???" probably around 2012 when i tried to find some games for Linux and found Skulltag+Freedoom package.

I think my first Freedoom experience was somewhere around 2019-2020. Specifically Phase 2, but it must have been an old version. I vividly remember this map set in some sort of mining facility with some ankle deep water, and this castle map with some room-over-room trickery.

My First Freedoom Experience was Freedoom on Mobile Because I Just Google Them On Google Play Because A Youtuber Played It

Edited by DENTYZ

The first time I played Freedoom it was packaged with the Goldeneye Doom TC. I think this was around 0.3 or 0.4. I hadn't played the actual Doom 2 at that point, so I was confused by the placeholder levels and graphics that were apparent at that point in the project's history. Still enjoyed it though.

I played it a little bit on my phone, which was... fine.

It's a cool project and I love that it has grown into its own identity. But I am conflicted because I kinda wish that it didn't have to exist in the first place... the IWADs should be free at this point.

On 6/28/2022 at 4:38 PM, magicsofa said:

But I am conflicted because I kinda wish that it didn't have to exist in the first place...

I've always thought it was awesome that the community put together a project of this scale and quality. It's an expression of creativity in the same way as making new maps. How can you wish for creativity to not exist?

What I meant is that I think it's a bit ridiculous to still charge money for a 30 year old game. So I wish the catalyst for Freedoom (that doom.wad still costs money) didn't exist. I have no issue with the project itself, I appreciate both the creative value of it as well as the charity.

My first time was when I got the free IPhone port called "Hell on earth Lite", I looked up "Doom" and that strange port showed up. It wasn't the best but I was like 12 years old, I didn't really care.

Then I looked it up on the internet and downloaded the iwads with the two recommended ports (Crispy Doom and GZDoom according to the page). You can imagine how this ended

4 hours ago, xX_Lol6_Xx said:

My first time was when I got the free IPhone port called "Hell on earth Lite"

I searched up Hell on Earth lite and it looks pretty goofy in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Senor Cacodemon said:

Yeah, it uses a quite old build of FreeDoom. Maybe 0.8?

I only played a few levels, but I enjoyed it! It looks like an alternative universe of Doom, but I would say it looks more like a somewhat different FPS game. I would like to see more stuff like a free version of Wolfenstein 3D.

4 hours ago, Senor Cacodemon said:

Judging from some screenshots, I guess it's pretty much an old version of Freedoom with unnecessarily big touch control icons.

On 3/1/2022 at 3:53 PM, DoomBoomer said:

My first experience with Freedoom was in 2006. Back then it was not even close to what it is now. I think that version of Freedoom is crap when you compare it to newest version. Current version of Freedoom is actually very good and really fun to play.

The only good thing about 0.6 - 0.9 would probably be the old SSG and Chaingun textures. The old Chaingun looked like a really good minigun and not just a bralled with holes on a barrel ring. The SSG texture looked less like the HDOOM SSG and more like a really futuristic Plasma SSG

Back when I first tried Freed∞M it was version 0.7. I did not like some of the assets (the jarring colours on the Combat Slug probably being the worst offender), but I played it a lot and grew to like the old assets. Of course I'm very happy with the updated art kickstarted by @raymoohawk, but I harbour some very nostalgic feelings towards the older versions now.

I used to play the original Doom a lot, but have only just started playing Freedoom. Took a while to get used to the new assets, but I'm really starting to enjoy them! I am a Linux user and a big FOSS fan and this project really caught my eye. I might make a review of it or maybe even participate.

I also played a lot of Q3A and Open Arena when I started using Linux. I believe Open Arena is very similar to this project.

Even tho i already buy ultimate doom and doom 2 on pc, Im still going to play freedoom, since i like the soundtrack, art style, design and map of that game.

My first experience of Freedoom was playing Doom's Knight Lite on my iPad 2. Believe it or not, the game has good soundtrack for a game with only oblige levels.

My first experiencie with freedoom was pure curiosity (2017), I've played Doom (through Doom95) and NDS (with a Counter-Strike Mod) but after seeing it this forum tried to play it.

I don't actually need it cuz I have all DOS Doom iwads (Thanks to the Doom 2 re-release I have Final Doom too) :P

It was fun for like 4 seconds, but I don't like the sprites look, some are good, some are complete trash, the MIDIS are also a hit or miss. FOSS things, I suppose.

6 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

My first experiencie with freedoom was pure curiosity (2017), I've played Doom (through Doom95) and NDS (with a Counter-Strike Mod) but after seeing it this forum tried to play it.

I don't actually need it cuz I have all DOS Doom iwads (Thanks to the Doom 2 re-release I have Final Doom too) :P

It was fun for like 4 seconds, but I don't like the sprites look, some are good, some are complete trash, the MIDIS are also a hit or miss. FOSS things, I suppose.

"The code execution cannot proceed because DPLAY.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

This is what gave me a virus on my old computer