Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
it can't get worse

Does anybody knows some wads that have a more horror or unsettling atmosphere ?

Notably the map by @Bauul, LV-31, where he manages the once thought impossible task of making Troopers scary instead of mobile fleshy bullet storage units.

I was working on a WAD/pseudo-mod with this theme, until my PC got formatted and lost the progress I had, it was called Entering The Impending Chaos or ETIC.

Besides that, I was also working on a pseudo-TC called The Chaotic Tides of Agrazoth or TCTOA, but it's on an undefinite hiatus.

I don't know horror WADs per se though, sadly.

Unloved is a great one, along City of the Damned.

Happy Time Circus and its sequel are definitely noteworthy there.

And of course, the Ghoul's Forest series.

Remilia Scarlet has made a few, I haven't played Shadows of the Nightmare Realm but its prequel Umbra of Fate is very atmospheric and very good. It uses lots of GZDoom tricks and they work really well to give it that horror vibe. Jimmy's Nameless similarly has Lovecraft vibes.

Happy and its predecessor Djinn may not be quite what you're looking for; the gameplay is more "normal" Doom (with quite tough combat) but the music and palette have a bit of a horror vibe. Also requires GZDoom.

One the other side of the spectrum (ie pure vanilla) you have Aliens TC, the classic horror/atmospheric wad.

Sign of Torment is Boom-compatible, the horror vibes start more slowly but it lays it on really thick (and really well) by the time you reach the last map.

I'm getting a block at the moment but I'm sure there are more, many wad authors have made adaptations of Lovecraft into Doom.

There's also always Playstation Doom and Doom 64. PS Doom in particular is almost exactly the same game (most maps are there but modified, sometimes slightly sometimes a lot) but the lighting, Aubrey Hodges's music and the different sounds do make it much more unsettling.

It might not be what you're looking for but there's a deeply unsettling vibe to parts of Ashes 2063/Afterglow.

Calling it “horror” might be going too far, but this wad is p spoopy at times:

Already mentioned, but Sign of Torment, especially the last episode is thick with horror - extremely atmospheric.

TNT: Revilution has a few maps with pretty horror and unsettling atmosphere: MAP12 and MAP20 are the best ones IMO.

More can be found in the second decade, like MAP14 and MAP16 as well.

32 Inch Nails is an atmospheric horror wad, strongly inspired by Doom 3's gloomy techbases. Skip map05 if epic slaughter is not your thing. That one's an outlier in the wad.

16 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Notably the map by @Bauul, LV-31, where he manages the once thought impossible task of making Troopers scary instead of mobile fleshy bullet storage units.

I agree, played a bit, and even got a little jumpscared by them

13 hours ago, Archanhell said:

I was working on a WAD/pseudo-mod with this theme, until my PC got formatted and lost the progress I had, it was called Entering The Impending Chaos or ETIC.

Besides that, I was also working on a pseudo-TC called The Chaotic Tides of Agrazoth or TCTOA, but it's on an undefinite hiatus.

I don't know horror WADs per se though, sadly.

Unloved is a great one, along City of the Damned.

I've heard of unloved before, it looks pretty cool.