Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

PUSS XV: Mysterious Mayan Madness [Development Thread]

Hell yeah brother, I'm stoked, haven't mapped in a couple months time to go all in on a t3mple map!

Map Name: Cuneiform Crunch
Author: kwc
Music: Thorntail Well from StarFox Adventures - Composed by David Wise, midi by "Mike", minor edits by kwc.
Sky: SKYND03
Format: UDMF - Tested in GZDoom g4.4.2
Difficulty Settings: Not yet implemented
Build Time: ~ 8 consecutive hours
Traps Built: 4(.5?) (your typical linedef-triggered teleport and closet ambushes count, right?)

Comments: Having just crawled out of a temple, you set your gaze on a clearing within the forest, the sky obscured by the thick interweaving branches of several abnormally large trees. In the distance you see a ancient wooden barrier intended to keep intruders out or keep something else in. It looks like the only way you'll find out is by entering this one last forest temple...

Map: PUSS-KWC.zip (updated: March 09 2022)

Midi: KWCMIDI.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

PJofgIa.jpg

GaccBFD.jpg

CJd3Z2d.png

mNCAWfk.png

Things to be done:

Spoiler

Big rehaul of thing placement (enemies, pickups, secret treasures, decoration, etc) ✔️
There is an empty teleport closet that is linked to a unique destination that may or may not be functioning properly, could add an additional heavy enemy there. ✔️
Some lower/upper unpegging 📝
Adjusting blocking linedefs around boundary of forest to block monsters as well ✔️
Lighting for existing sectors (is this allowed?) ✔️

Difficulty implimentation for HMP and ITYTD/HNTR 📝

Edited by kwc : Updated thing placement for UV, adjusted some lousy linedef tags, some lighting

I took a look through the texture pack and it is gigantic and beautiful! At the risk of sounding like a downer it might be too big to be practical for speed mapping, so I see why @BluePineapple72 recommends sifting through the texture pack beforehand. At 8 hours and with a due date of March 25th I feel like Goldilocks (just right) as far as my ability to commit to contribute but I'm still undecided. Looks really fun though!

1 hour ago, Egregor said:

I took a look through the texture pack and it is gigantic and beautiful! At the risk of sounding like a downer it might be too big to be practical for speed mapping, so I see why @BluePineapple72 recommends sifting through the texture pack beforehand. At 8 hours and with a due date of March 25th I feel like Goldilocks (just right) as far as my ability to commit to contribute but I'm still undecided. Looks really fun though!

I hope you do decide to contribute! All the best!

I've decided to give this a try as well! The texture pack is gorgeous, but, as noted, one should definitely browse it before starting the map.

Had two 30-min sessions yesterday. Starting area done. The concept of the map is that Doomguy is on a spaceship, but something goes wrong. His escape pod crashes on a dangerous jungle planet. He has to fight his way through to an emergency beacon.

Screenshot_Doom_20220303_112141.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220303_093948.png

Map Name: Rain Temple
Author: Muumi
Music: The Dim Lake of Auber by Jimmy
Sky: HAZELSK8 from mek box o skies
Format: Boom
Difficulty Settings: Not yet implemented
Build Time: ~8 hours
Traps Built: Something like 6-7 if counting the classics.

Comments: Bunch of archviles have taken over the rain temple and are performing some watery rituals. Yeah demons are kinda weird. Time to put end to this sillyness. 

Download:rain_temple.zip

Screenshots:
wmtxYEO.jpg
do050rn.jpg

Map Name: UmGuzum's Temple
Author: Heich AKA Dynamite Kaitorn
Music: Turtemple [Jazz Jackrabbit]
Sky: (Some skybox compilation... I picked one that looked a bit greeny-grey)
Format: GZDooM (DooM Format) [DOES use advanced tricks so GZDooM is NECESARY!]
Difficulty Settings: Yes. Some enemies are missing on lower dififculties or replaced.
Build Time: 7 hours (I'm slow AF at mapping XD)
Traps Built: I'd say around 8-10?

Comments: Deep in the southern American jungles, an isolated temple is just waiting to be breached and cleared!
Are you brave enough to scour through tricky traps and ghostly secrets?

Screenshots:

Spoiler

UmGuzum4.png.311377ac06f4abdbd6d7cb30b153228f.pngUmguzum3.png.f7b885868363647d6d053af7f2dc70a5.pngUmGuzum2.png.731170380f0fe640cb003273d8b6b5ff.pngUmguzum1.png.2f24307f60ffb433cb6891d68a939198.png

Download!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o26lbvdhqvgyqge/UmGuzum_v1.zip/file

Well, I'm not a really fast mapper, In 8 hours I only hit 4 out of 6 secrets... arg. I got the traps done easily enough though. Am I allowed to go over time a little bit to sneak a couple more secrets in there?

42 minutes ago, AdamTheSlave said:

Well, I'm not a really fast mapper, In 8 hours I only hit 4 out of 6 secrets... arg. I got the traps done easily enough though. Am I allowed to go over time a little bit to sneak a couple more secrets in there?

I’ll allow it. Just don’t spend too much time to add secrets. Two simple secrets shouldn’t take 10 minutes to add methinks. 

I decided to participate. I'll be breaking up my 8 hours into 30 minute session so it'll probably take 16 days to complete. I just broke ground on my map with my first session! Before I began I opened Slade and sifted through the textures and picked out my favorites. I also did some level planning on a (computer) notepad before starting as well. I hope that's all okay! My average map takes over 50 sessions so the thought of completing a map in 8 hours is a little nerve wracking. I am getting faster all the time though, so this is a good challenge for me. So far my map is 30 sectors, 269 lines. This session I wanted to finish a rough exterior outline of the entire map but I only got 80% through that process.

EDIT: I'm now at 1.5 hours into the challenge and I have a map with 3 keys and 4 major areas. I started working on stairs and actions and I've realized I'm already in over my head. It should be about 20% complete but it's closer to 10% SOO I'm looking at ways to shorten and simplify my map, or at the least turn extra areas into secrets.

Edited by Egregor

Oh, this looks interesting. I've thought about making a lost temple style map, but I didn't have the textures. I'll think about what I generally want to do for a while, since 8 hours isn't a lot of time to do the physical work of mapping. I'll probably stick with general GZDoom since I don't have enough experience with UDMF and can't take the time to learn on the fly.

I'll try and get something finished.

EDIT: I've decided on the general idea and have gotten a rough test of the gimmick to work. I'm not counting that towards map building time. I have not started on the map, only made sure that I know how to make the idea work.

Edited by Stabbey

Map Name: [ Temple of Boom ]
Author: [ AdamTheSlave ]

Music: [ INDIANA JONES THEME MUSIC - Unknown author ]

Sky: [ None ]

Format: [ Boom ]

Difficulty Settings: [ Yes, some enemies missing on easier settings, or replaced ]

Build Time [ 8 hours 15 minutes ]

Traps Built: 5

Comments: An underground map where you fight your way the entrance to the end, dodging traps and a bit of platforming. Some inspiration tricks and traps, and other maps I've seen.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qa4kng8jex4zybz/templeofboom1.1.zip/file -- Updated since my original upload because I spotted a bug on the red key where it wouldn't spawn in hard mode *facepalm*

Screenshot_Doom_20220303_222210.png.41104fbdc7944c4f0d96f4e73620ea78.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220303_222249.png.72b8e045f6d7aabf0563e7e3fb7f6f08.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220303_222600.png.f9e017516bf7121fad800bd3dcc35fd0.png

Edited by AdamTheSlave

A couple minor questions, since this is the first sort of time-based mapping thing I've worked on...

Are you really counting playtesting against mapping time? That seems like it would favor mappers who build everything at once and then test at the end, and is less favorable to mappers like me who test as they build and then are able to make changes to architecture before finishing the rest of the map.

Is a lock-in and monster teleport considered a trap, or are you looking more for floor movers to keep with the theme of ancient ruins?

Anyway, I still haven't started actually mapping, although I have worked out more of the design. I have decided that since I'm not used to time limits, I'll restrict myself to 30 monsters per mini-temple as a max, which should curb my urge to build too much stuff. Because of that I should make only one major set-piece encounter for the mini-temples. That might help keep it simple.

Also, I'm sure most are aware, but you can make any wall texture have vines if you want, without creating new graphics, through use of single lines very close to the wall. (This is just going through textures, it's not mapping)

Temple_test.jpg

5 hours ago, Stabbey said:

A couple minor questions, since this is the first sort of time-based mapping thing I've worked on...

Are you really counting playtesting against mapping time? That seems like it would favor mappers who build everything at once and then test at the end, and is less favorable to mappers like me who test as they build and then are able to make changes to architecture before finishing the rest of the map.

Is a lock-in and monster teleport considered a trap, or are you looking more for floor movers to keep with the theme of ancient ruins?

- Playtesting time counting as mapping time is a tenuous subject I find. Since we’re timing things non-consecutively, you could get away with playtesting your map while you are building it. Only issue is that sometimes (I’ve done this) one can forget to turn their timer back on. In general, the time limit is there to light a fire under your ass so that you get a finished map out quicker. While counting playtesting in the timer does make it harder to iron out a perfect map, it helps to streamline what the mapper is doing and forces them to make hard and fast decisions on the fly as part of the challenge

- Monster closet lock ins are fine as long as the player can kill the monsters. The more visually ‘trap-y’ it is the better. If monsters just appear in a room you could call that a trap, but it’s much more interesting if there’s some physical element added to it too 

15 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

- Playtesting time counting as mapping time is a tenuous subject I find. Since we’re timing things non-consecutively, you could get away with playtesting your map while you are building it. Only issue is that sometimes (I’ve done this) one can forget to turn their timer back on. In general, the time limit is there to light a fire under your ass so that you get a finished map out quicker. While counting playtesting in the timer does make it harder to iron out a perfect map, it helps to streamline what the mapper is doing and forces them to make hard and fast decisions on the fly as part of the challenge 

Welp, I've already fucked up then. I've been setting a timer for 15 minutes, frantically mapping, then when the timer goes off I run my map to see "how it turned out" and take stock on what the next steps are, rinse repeat. I've made 6 versions of my map so far, so I've done this 6 times. I can add 30 minutes (6 play-tests x 5 minutes each) to my timer. So, in that case I'm now at hour 3 with 119 sectors, 841 linedefs, 3 functional tags (out of like 30 needed) and about 25% of the map complete. I was looking for strategies to catch up, but I'm just as behind as ever. I'm still looking for ways to cut more sections and simplify my map. Haha, this is going to get rough!

5 minutes ago, Egregor said:

Welp, I've already fucked up then. I've been setting a timer for 15 minutes, frantically mapping, then when the timer goes off I run my map to see "how it turned out" and take stock on what the next steps are, rinse repeat. I've made 6 versions of my map so far, so I've done this 6 times. I can add 30 minutes (6 play-tests x 5 minutes each) to my timer. So, in that case I'm now at hour 3 with 119 sectors, 841 linedefs, 3 functional tags (out of like 30 needed) and about 25% of the map complete. I was looking for strategies to catch up, but I'm just as behind as ever. I'm still looking for ways to cut more sections and simplify my map. Haha, this is going to get rough!

The way you’re doing your method is fine. I won’t mind if you run the map every 15 minutes. 

Don’t feel like you aren’t allowed to copy paste different things for repeating patterns; it’s a good strategy to get a lot down very quickly.

1 hour ago, BluePineapple72 said:

The way you’re doing your method is fine. I won’t mind if you run the map every 15 minutes. 

Don’t feel like you aren’t allowed to copy paste different things for repeating patterns; it’s a good strategy to get a lot down very quickly.

Okay, if your alright with it I'll set the clock back to 2.5 hours and continue my method. I do have plans to copy and paste doors and pillars, but I'm not quite at that point yet.

It'd be interesting to see how a map would turn out if the 1st hour was just spent making like half a dozen generic but quality rooms, doors, lifts, and closets. You could then use another hour to copy paste them into something rather large, connected by hallways when needed. You'd then be left with 6 hours to make each room unique. If I give this challenge a 2nd pass, that just might be my strategy next time around.

Map Name: Into the Underworld
Author: Peccatum Mihzamiz
Music: 'Path to the Yucatan' by Caleb Hennessy, and 'PMBIRDS' by Peccatum Mihzamiz
Sky: SKYN03A by Mechadon and PMCURIO4 by ai_curio/Peccatum Mihzamiz
Format: GZDoom UDMF
Difficulty Settings: Yes, implemented
Co-op: Yes, implemented
Mouselook and jumping: ehhhh not absolutely needed (if you have a 'swim up' button assigned :p) but highly recommended.
Build Time: ~8.5 hours, with quite some fixing and testing as well
Traps Built: 4

Comments: This is the first map in a... trilogy, perhaps? The player descends into Xibalba, the Underworld. The entrance is through a cave/the Milky Way, depending on which historical source you use. 
Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_142635.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_142550.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_142447.png

File Link

One complaint: It's nice that the texture pack uses a bunch of additional switches, but many of them won't animate because they're not properly prefaced with SW1/SW2. Somehow I don't think I'm supposed to export those textures, rename them and then re-import them, so that limits the usage of those textures as switches.

I still haven't started mapping, because I have not fully worked out what I want the layout for two of the temples to be. But I have made a spreadsheet with the texture names, a brief description, and suggestions on how to use them for my own reference, to help save time. I also made a crude sketch of the map layout in Paint to get an idea of sight lines and placement of features. I've got ideas for the remaining two temples and just need to lock down the layout. The temples are going to be like two rooms each, to keep the amount of work needed simple. I've also continued to use a sandbox to test ideas for traps or effects to see what's reasonable to get working while also looking acceptable. I've written out the dimensions and textures for those parts so I can recreate them from scratch.

On 3/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, BluePineapple72 said:

- Monster closet lock ins are fine as long as the player can kill the monsters. The more visually ‘trap-y’ it is the better. If monsters just appear in a room you could call that a trap, but it’s much more interesting if there’s some physical element added to it too 

So spooky atmosphere in the encounter will make it more visually feel like a trap? Okay, then I probably have enough traps to meet the quota.

Edited by Stabbey : removed progress report.

Map Name: Towards the Crossroads
Author: Peccatum Mihzamiz
Music: 'Ritual Ascension' by Caleb Hennessy
Sky: SKYN03A by Mechadon and PMCURIO6 by ai_curio/Peccatum Mihzamiz
Difficulty Settings: Partially implemented
Co-op: Yes, implemented
Mouselook and jumping: yes, needed
Build Time: ~8.5 hours, with quite some fixing and testing as well
Traps Built: 2 or 6, depending on how you look at it
Secrets: 8 'official' ones, plus some non-secret secrets
Known issues: One of the traps doesn't kill the player right now: that will be changed. The sky still has to be adjusted for coloring and has to be made to tile properly (I did an emergency fix now that looks hideous). There are slime trails that pop up now and then on the ground. No idea why and how to fix them.

Comments: This is the second map in my MMM trilogy. The player continues towards Xibalba, the Underworld. They have to cross the rivers of scorpions, blood and puss, before choosing one of four crossroads to continue on.
Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220311_164609.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220311_221410.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220311_164617.png

File Link

Map Name: Lela' jump'éel mapa
Author: Me

Music: The Last Guardians - Jimmy (Raven midi pack)

Sky: Transfers, yo

Format: Boom

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Build Time 8 hours

Traps Built: 4 👌

Comments: You've stumbled upon an ancient temple.  Best not stumble any further...  Things may appear "normal", but...you know...

Screenshots:1107296822_gzdoomScreenshot2022_03.11-23_21_51_59.png.04c7958ae61a8f7dc4cd68b72dafea31.png

1720627458_gzdoomScreenshot2022_03.13-11_45_04_57.png.b4e504a93f9612d5dbe78608ee7d73c2.png

Lela' jump'éel mapaV1.zip

Boy, I'm glad that I decided to make sure that the Commander Keen replacement works the same way as the default Doom 2 one: because it doesn't!

I assumed that it was just a sprite/sound replacement, and that...

1) It did not move.

2) It did not attack.

3) Killing all of them opened door 666.

I tried putting one into my test sandbox to check on getting a tag 666 door to open, and it didn't work at all. I then checked MAP 32, and confirmed that it doesn't work on that level either. Also the Wolfenstein SS now shoot plasma bolts and some of them (not all of them) were invulnerable ghosts - unhittable through any attacks and splash damage, and I could have sworn that some of them had transformed into Alien Guardians (probably some clever replacement of frames and such to get the Alien Guardian to be able to attack and die).

That's good to know. I'll need to make a slight adjustment to some intended progression, but it's only a slight change.

I completed my Paint sketch of the map a couple days ago, and tested a few more possible looks, tricks, and/or traps in my sandbox to make sure that I can get them to work once I start constructing the actual map.

Looking at my sketch, it gave me the idea to have all three keys visible from the start.  Ordinarily I'd build the map one section at a time, starting with the start and hub, but instead I think I'll build the hub area last. Building the hub last will let me build the critical temple interior parts first, so I won't need to squeeze them in around an already-constructed hub, and it'll make it easier to connect the temple interiors to the exteriors.

In some aspects, doing it that way will make it harder to put in control sectors... but by that same token, putting in and joining the control sectors after major construction is finished will save a bit of time adjusting and moving things.

9 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Boy, I'm glad that I decided to make sure that the Commander Keen replacement works the same way as the default Doom 2 one: because it doesn't!

I assumed that it was just a sprite/sound replacement, and that...

1) It did not move.

2) It did not attack.

3) Killing all of them opened door 666.

I tried putting one into my test sandbox to check on getting a tag 666 door to open, and it didn't work at all. I then checked MAP 32, and confirmed that it doesn't work on that level either. Also the Wolfenstein SS now shoot plasma bolts and some of them (not all of them) were invulnerable ghosts - unhittable through any attacks and splash damage, and I could have sworn that some of them had transformed into Alien Guardians (probably some clever replacement of frames and such to get the Alien Guardian to be able to attack and die).

That's good to know. I'll need to make a slight adjustment to some intended progression, but it's only a slight change.

I messed up the importing for that enemy, addressing that bug is on my todo list

Map Name: Violencia Inherente

Author: Death Bear

Music: "Pyrarinth" by James Paddock

Sky: SKYIO17 from the resource pack

Difficulty Settings: Yes, might need some testing for balance

Co-op: Yes

Mouselook/ Jumping/ Crouching: Not required

Build Time: 8 Hours

Traps Built: I lost count.

Secrets: 6?

Known issues: None that I know of.

Comments: Might see some call backs to a certain CCC map...but it's much shorter. Lots of secret little paths. Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hm07eptmn6ue73b/DB.MMM.v1.wad/file

Spoiler

SPOILER_Screenshot_Doom_20220314_153630.

Edited by Death Bear

Bah. I've started construction, but despite all the planning and testing, it's absolutely clear after 3 half-hour sessions that there's no possible way I can make a finished map - never mind a good one - with just 8 hours. I'll still finish and release the map, but not as part of this set.

It sucks because I've tested out a bunch of cool effects which I can get working, but I just don't think I can work fast enough to be able to finish even the basics, never mind polishing them, never mind testing and balancing it.