Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

PUSS XV: Mysterious Mayan Madness [Development Thread]

28 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

It sucks because I've tested out a bunch of cool effects which I can get working, but I just don't think I can work fast enough to be able to finish even the basics, never mind polishing them, never mind testing and balancing it.

Keep starting again from scratch with what you learned then ;)

You still have a ~2 weeks of attempts!

8 hours ago, kwc said:

Keep starting again from scratch with what you learned then ;)

You still have a ~2 weeks of attempts!

The problem is not learning how to build the setpieces, I figured that out in my off time. The problem is that even when I know what to do, I cannot work fast enough, and that's assuming I don't make any mistakes which need fixing. (Spoiler: I always make mistakes which need fixing, even in test sandboxes.) Sure, I could start from scratch every time I pass 8 hours, but it would produce a crap level I wouldn't be interested in sharing with anyone, so there's no point.

On the spectrum of Quality, Fun, and Fast, I can only do two at most, and "Fast" isn't one of them. EDIT: That was kinda incoherent. What I meant to say is that I need to be interested in the map I am making, to make it a good one. I'm not interested in churning out something which is quick but uninspired, or worse both uninspired AND sloppy.

Edited by Stabbey : clairity of thought.

Map update: So I've hit the 8 hour mark and it is now "finished" but I have not yet completed a UV play-through (something I feel is required for ANY map to be eligible for release) as the balance is still too wacky! The secret count is still under, and I need to add co-op starts. I'd like to take care of texture auto-alignments off the clock as well. I've got a good sense of how to implement quick and dirty difficulty settings but that still needs to happen as well.

I can say I've learned a lot from this experience. I broke the sessions down by playing the map's last version while I'd take notes on what was broken or needed to improve or be fixed and then I'd set 15 minute timers and opened DB2 to map. This approach left me with 28 sessions (with the first few being 30 minute sessions), and goal-notes for each session. My overall "3 keys full-sized map concept" proved too be MUCH too large and I felt like a DEV on a shitty mid 2000s Playstation game that was on an impossible timeline cutting corners like mad and watching my ambitions for this map die a little inside as a deadline was approaching. The map, I feel is a little too much quantity and a not quite enough quality. The scale also feels a tad too lofty or empty in places due to the lack of detail.

I'm going to slow down here at the end and for the night here and tie up all these essential loose ends "off the clock" as it were for my next session. I only play on editing what is absolutely necessary to consider the map ready for release, though! Hopefully it'll be ready in the next few days!!

Map Name: Aqua Dementia
Author: myolden
Music: Tranquil Temple from Ape Escape
Sky: SKYHX2B
Format: Boom
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 5 hours
Traps Built:

Spoiler

1. Shotgun trap

2. Rocket launcher and blue skull key trap

3. Blue armor secret trap 

4. Megasphere secret trap 

5. Exit trap

Comments: A small but dense overgrown temple. 

Screenshots: 

Spoiler

1717990749_AquaDementia1.png.13f85c567bd7751798ed34b667a32c4e.png1054392307_AquaDementia2.png.125c84b8ca79c8b5a4dae5fe40635a0c.png

Aqua Dementia.zip

(link removed due to v02 update post, see below)

Map Name: The Lost Temple of Buluc Chabtan
Author: Egregor

Music: Mango Bongos by Egregor (originally appearing in NOVA II)

Sky: SKYHX3D

Format: Vanilla (new enemy implemented)

Difficulty Settings: Implemented

Build Time: 8 hours to build the map and to implement the first round of gameplay, using several 15 minute timed sessions. Music, skybox, texture alignment, misc. things placement (trees), map clean, bug fixes, playtesting, and enemy/item re-balancing not included in this timeframe.

Traps Built: 12!

Comments: Buluc Chabtan was the Mayan god of war and violence, and these cursed temple ruins were dedicated to him. This map is large and features several settings including jungles, rivers, caverns, ancient ruins, and pyramids.

*known bug: current build all button textures are broken

Screenshots:

Spoiler

1615295302_MMM_EGREscreen.png.7fa17b5ffc7cb00ddf954be5631f86ac.png

Edited by Egregor

Map Name: Huracan's Playground
Author: Glikkzy
Music: Metal Gear Solid 3: "The Fury" Theme -  MIDI by James Flynn
Sky: MISTSKY1 - Mechadon

Format: UDMF
Build Time: 8 hours 
Traps Built: 7-8

Comments: "Shrines and temples dedicated to Huracan, the Heart of the Sky. Devious passages and courtyards nestled away in the densely vegetated mountain valley of the K'iche' people."

This map sees me rebuild the working parts of three other attempts I've had at this PUSS over the last two weeks into something relatively coherent, and hopefully fun!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

ScreenshotCollage.png.2ec302954ec9a534604b5cc7d636f622.png

Glikkzy_PUSS15_HuracansPlayground.zip

Map Name: Empty Tomb
Author: Horselssheadsman
Music: CBlood 5 by Daniel Bernstein
Sky: SKYND03A
Format: GZDoom UDMF
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time 8 hours, even more time spent on notes and preparation before actual
mapping started
Traps Built: 6, of various kinds
Comments: You're not sure where you are, but it's definitely not Earth. All you know
is your scanner says a portal rests in the bowels of the ancient temple complex ahead.
It also claims there's no life-signs inside, but the cold chill that crawls down your
spine makes you wonder about the definition of "life"...

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220325_220328.png.3c83c16d3f23cda51a9dc98194ec0d6d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220325_220306.png.89590ed846dfc314160d68c81a2a77cf.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220325_220200.png.30486641a26f7802a8db4ff6f8700361.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220325_220136.png.0369b8456af31660d6252c75d8ff1b2e.png

download for wad: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11QXMLOg-wCTR2etrnXDxALbcvzpySAdw/view?usp=sharing

midi file: http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Blood_(DOS)

Map Name: Temple of the blood god

Author: Steve88

Music: Beneath the stars - Eris Falling

Sky: SkyND09 (In pack)

Difficulty Settings: Sort of

Build Time: .... I have a problem.... i can't seem to build in time limits.... there is probably 10hrs into the build and another 2 hours in testing and fixing all the broken stuff made in that 10 hrs

Traps Built: 4-5

Secrets: 8

Known issues: Switch in water pit does not change, maybe that's fixed now?

Comments: Monster placement is pretty weak on this one TBH, I sort of started making it, then and I totally ran over time. There are still probably tons of bugs....

Level concept Lore: "Deep within the jungle lies the temple of the blood god, ever flowing with blood from the underworld, slowing killing all that is around it."

Update V1.1

-teleport out of temple now works

-enlarged the temple arena a bit for game-play and added a few more monsters to the fight
Updated 1.1 Link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SWfJIKLaxINaMn7jqTOQC88TvaI-F1PM/view?usp=sharing

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220327_210142.png.213cc2f4b3826e5c25fdf07adfd1d791.png

Edited by Steve88

4 minutes ago, Steve88 said:

Map Name: Temple of the blood god Author: Steve88

Music: Beneath the stars - Eris Falling

Sky: SkyND09 (In pack)

Difficulty Settings: Sort of

Build Time: .... I have a problem.... i can't seem to build in time limits.... there is probably 10hrs into the build and another 2 hours in testing and fixing all the broken stuff made in that 10 hrs

Traps Built: 4-5

Secrets: 8

Known issues: Switch in water pit does not change, maybe that's fixed now?

Comments: Monster placement is pretty weak on this one TBH, I sort of started making it, then and I totally ran over time. There are still probably tons of bugs....

Level concept Lore: "Deep within the jungle lies the temple of the blood god, ever flowing with blood from the underworld, slowing killing all that is around it." (edited)

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220327_210142.png.213cc2f4b3826e5c25fdf07adfd1d791.png

Where's the wad download?

Map Name: Forgotten Ruins

Author: Man With a Gun

Music: "Mist" by Stuart Rynn (stewboy)

Sky: SKYIORI4 from resource pack

Format: Boom, hopefully.

Difficulty Settings: Later, i'm tired for now :p

Build Time: 8 hours. Plus about 4-5 mins on quick check for any critical bugs.

Traps Built: 4 big traps and 2 small ones.

Secrets: 6

Known issues: None, i far as i know.

Comments: Mostly designed as a wad opener or something like that, tested the whole map only 2 times. Mostly spended all my time on visuals and layout but overall it's a short map, just as i planned :v

Screenshot:

lp4QsUP.png

Download: Here, catch!

MMM_EGRE_v02.rar

Map Name: The Lost Temple of Buluc Chabtan
Author: Egregor

Music: Mango Bongos by Egregor (originally appearing in NOVA II)

Sky: SKYHX3D

Format: Vanilla (new enemy implemented)

Build Time: 8 hours to build the map and to implement the first round of gameplay, using several 15 minute timed sessions. Music, skybox, texture alignment, misc. things placement (trees), map clean, bug fixes, playtesting, and enemy/item re-balancing not included in this timeframe.

Traps Built: 12!

Comments: Buluc Chabtan was the Mayan god of war and violence, and these cursed temple ruins were dedicated to him. This map is large and features several settings including jungles, rivers, caverns, ancient ruins, and pyramids.

*known bug: current build all button textures are broken

**v02 adds "block monster" flag to Lindef 1441.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

1615295302_MMM_EGREscreen.png.7fa17b5ffc7cb00ddf954be5631f86ac.png

Submissions are still live by the way! I'll be running this bad boy until the end of Thursday! (end of March)

unknown.png

Here is the current maplist. Bears have been playtested by Death Bear

I am aware that my map may need more ammo strewn about for the latter half, especially if players haven't found any secrets, I will update it before the end of the 31st.
Cool to see the map list grow :)

Closing submissions at 17 maps. Good mapping everyone! We’ll have a full release soon with all sorts of cool do-dads. Beta 2 will see the release of a new map and various menu graphics. In the meantime here’s our first public BETA release. 

It contains:

TITLEMAP

MAP01 - “Cuneiform Crunch” - @kwc
MAP02 - “Rain Temple” - @muumi
MAP03 - “UmGuzum’s Temple” - @DynamiteKaitorn
MAP04 - “Temple of Boom” - @AdamTheSlave    
MAP05 - "Into the Underworld" - @Peccatum Mihzamiz
MAP06 - “Toward the Crossroad” - @Peccatum Mihzamiz
MAP07 - “Lela' jump'éel mapa” - @notTyrone
MAP08 - “Violencia Inherentia” - @Death Bear
MAP09 - "Temple Tantrum" - @LateNightPerson
MAP10 - “Aqua Dementia” - @myolden
MAP11 - “The Lost Temple of Buluc Chabtan” - @Egregor
MAP12 - “Huracan’s Playground” - @Glikkzy
MAP13 - “Empty Tomb” - @horselessheadsman
MAP14 - “Tunkaruchu’s Temple” - @Weird Sandwich
MAP15 - "Temple of the Blood God" - @Steve88
MAP16 - "Medionoche Michoacana" - @PasokonDeacon  
MAP17 - "Forgotten Ruins" - @MAN_WITH_GUN

Edited by BluePineapple72

Spoiler

Some of these recordings are for versions already outdated. Sorry. @horselessheadsman, not sure if I missed something obvious, but sorry for IDDQD'ing the last section. There was no way without ammo, getting stuck in there. IDK if it needs more ammo, or if I need to just try again and play better lol.

10 hours ago, Death Bear said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Some of these recordings are for versions already outdated. Sorry. @horselessheadsman, not sure if I missed something obvious, but sorry for IDDQD'ing the last section. There was no way without ammo, getting stuck in there. IDK if it needs more ammo, or if I need to just try again and play better lol.

Thanks for the playtest, @Death Bear. There's a fine line between too hard and too easy with non-monster traps, and I clearly didn't manage

stick that landing. Some more clues to the fireball hall, lessened numbers of "ghosts" in the lower difficulty levels, and more ammo not tucked

away should make it less of an exercise in frustration.

23 minutes ago, horselessheadsman said:

Thanks for the playtest, @Death Bear. There's a fine line between too hard and too easy with non-monster traps, and I clearly didn't manage

stick that landing. Some more clues to the fireball hall, lessened numbers of "ghosts" in the lower difficulty levels, and more ammo not tucked

away should make it less of an exercise in frustration.

I will say, it stands alone in how it performs the gimmicks and presents its atmosphere. I really loved it, overall.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:54 PM, MAN_WITH_GUN said:

Map Name: Forgotten Ruins

Author: Man With a Gun

Music: "Mist" by Stuart Rynn (stewboy)

Sky: SKYIORI4 from resource pack

Format: Boom, hopefully.

Difficulty Settings: Later, i'm tired for now :p

Build Time: 8 hours. Plus about 4-5 mins on quick check for any critical bugs.

Traps Built: 4 big traps and 2 small ones.

Secrets: 6

Known issues: None, i far as i know.

Comments: Mostly designed as a wad opener or something like that, tested the whole map only 2 times. Mostly spended all my time on visuals and layout but overall it's a short map, just as i planned :v

Screenshot:

lp4QsUP.png

Download: Here, catch!

I have a long history playing man with gun maps and they are always interesting and challenging in a format I understand. This one gave me a go but luckily man with gun was there along with bio to guide me thru lol. I also had a fortunate run with the penultimate fight with my own stupid strategy hehe. Good times I am still astonished at what you can do with limited time 

VOD of playthroughs of multiple levels. I recorded alongside this and the videos unfortunately came out pretty crappy. If you need a write up of feedback to go along with the video please let me know. In 2 weeks the VOD will be up; I'd like level updates by then.

Maps Featured:

MAP11 - “The Lost Temple of Buluc Chabtan” - @Egregor   
MAP12 - “Huracan’s Playground” - @Glikkzy                          
MAP13 - “Empty Tomb” - @horselessheadsman
MAP14 - “Tunkaruchu’s Temple” - @Weird Sandwich      
MAP15 - "Temple of the Blood God" - @Steve88               
MAP16 - "Medionoche Michoacana" - @PasokonDeacon              
MAP17 - "Forgotten Ruins" - @MAN_WITH_GUN

CHANGELIST:

re-textured switches to vanilla
made elevator progress more noticeable after YK
re-textured locked lava door in PR room
re-textured trap lift exit for clarity
repopulated trap at recommended of BP
added courtyard floor tex to finale as finishing aesthetic
added SS PR and RL weapons to finale in case player missed them
added 2 medpacks and removed 3 stimpack for +20 health toward beginning
removed skyboxes from automap
flagged forest-wall midtex as "shown" on automap but it did not work

MMM_EGRE_v03.rar

Since there’s been some thread activity, I just wanted to mention that RC1 is coming very very soon. Plan was to release it at the beginning of the month, but some computer issues has delayed our timeline a little bit. Keep your eyes peeled for a new release thread.

EDIT:

It's on this thread right here

Edited by BluePineapple72