Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellGhost

What is the Best Weapon From Any Doom Mod?

I've seen a load of doom mods in my day.

I've also seen creativity by the truckload.

But what I really want to see is what the community thinks.

So I put this question to you - what types of weapons do you like the best?

What doom mod are they from?

And what is your very favorite?

What would you like to see in a mod?

Who knows, maybe you'll see your ideas put up in a mod of mine reallllll soon.

Explanation:

Spoiler

I'm making a massive, story based TC. It's gonna have a shit-ton of weapons, from professional rifles to thrown together pistols.
The announcement for this game is coming soon, along with a demo, and I'm sure someone out there will play it.
It's open world, with a load of story and cryptic secrets.

But, due the the aforementioned "shit-ton of weapons", I'd love to see what the community likes in terms of weapons. 

You can see this same question on the Zdoom forum: 

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74799&p=1214253#p1214253

Edited by HellGhost

I like many of the weapons from Russian Overkill, my favorite is probably the one that shoots a huge yellow spiral of death that explodes and wipes out hundreds of demons at once.

Tricky…! I haven’t played too many weapon overhauls over the last few years so bear with me.

My favorite “new” weapon might be Rekkr’s runestick rocket launcher replacement. There’s a slight delay to the splash damage going off so it’s safer to use, and lobbing them is lots of fun. There’s also the shotgun crossbow in the Adventures of Square, it’s just so damn charming and fun to use.

It’s not really as “new” as the previous weapons, but I love Hideous Destructor making the shotguns feel like they’re shooting slugs so I can go hunting across the map with the double barrel. I just love sluggin’ shotguns in general now.

The Black Hole Generator from Project Brutality, just because it physically pulls monsters inside, and disintegrates them.

¿What weapon would i like to see on a mod? 

A proxy rocket launcher that fires rockets that explode when in range of 64 map units from the target, if no target is in range then it explodes after traveling 700 map units, and after exploding it releases 8 very fast fireballs in random directions that do 1d20 of damage each.

The Mask of Basilissa from High Noon Drifter. Sure, on the surface, its your standard BFG replacer. Throws really big balls of fire with juicy splash damage.

But more importantly, it lets you take control of a giant skull-faced demon built like a brickhouse, who can throw fireballs and charge up motherfucking Falcon Punches.

Not a Doom mod, but the Wraithverge from Hexen is the best weapon of all time.

Honestly have no idea as I have never really played much outside of traditional doom wads.

Give me an SSG, a couple of boxes of shells and a sea of imps and I will be content.

14 hours ago, HellGhost said:

I've seen a load of doom mods in my day.

I've also seen creativity by the truckload.

But what I really want to see is what the community thinks.

So I put this question to you - what types of weapons do you like the best?

What doom mod are they from?

And what is your very favorite?

What would you like to see in a mod?

Who knows, maybe you'll see your ideas put up in a mod of mine reallllll soon.

Explanation:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm making a massive, story based TC. It's gonna have a shit-ton of weapons, from professional rifles to thrown together pistols.
The announcement for this game is coming soon, along with a demo, and I'm sure someone out there will play it.
It's open world, with a load of story and cryptic secrets.

But, due the the aforementioned "shit-ton of weapons", I'd love to see what the community likes in terms of weapons. 

You can see this same question on the Zdoom forum: 

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74799&p=1214253#p1214253

I like many weapons of Russian overkill.

My favorite gun is four barrel super shotgun.

I quite enjoy the Leichenfaust from Struggle - Antaresian Legacy, which among other things adds explosive damage to each BFG tracer. This makes it phenomenal against big hordes of enemies, albeit useless against cyberdemons.

2 weapons from LaTailorGirl.

Void Sphere - Sacrifice a string of life or some of your own health with the alt fire to deal a LOT of damage to many enemies all around you (even 1-shotting Cyberdemons). You can see why I'd like such a weapon. :)

Fibre Powered BFG - This gun changes it's primary, secondary and (sometimes) tertiary shot depending on which outfit you're wearing, even being different for those who decide to go "armour-less". Some are just simple shots you can use to take on smaller enemies whilst others wipe the floor with Barons easily. NO outfit has a duplicate shot, even upgraded versions!

I didn't play many weapon mods but the pistol replacement from JarJar's Last Pineapple Fritter always gets me. Not over-the-top ridiculous but still ridiculous

Final Doomer has massive variety as it has multiple classes with totally unique weapons. What I highly, HIGHLY recommend is this setup: Final Doomer + Compendium + Shades of Doom + Vanilla Essence. Below is my setup, ignore the 'blankforlauncher4' and 'mapsofchaos'. The zips with number prefixes are all part of Shades of Doom.

What this setup gives you is:

• 9 unique weapon sets from Final Doomer
  • 54 (!!) megawads to choose from a hub map
  • Hotkey toggle to go to software rendering, no mlook, low res etc with Vanilla Essence. Perfect for classic megawads.
  • Unique monster sets for each megawad. There is a menu option for Shades of Doom that locks the current monster replacements (you can have it 100% random for each  map if you prefer). This means you can lock it on map01 and keep the same monsters for the whole megawad. When you finish it/get bored you can turn off the lock and get a fresh set of monsters and then jump into a new megawad.

Spoiler

o176K3p.png

I seriously love this weapon mod setup, the variety you get from changing to a different megawad with different weapons and monsters is massive. There are so many combinations, including using and not using Vanilla Essence, that make it feel like a different game. I'll make a thread about this sometime because I really love this setup. Same goes for Doom Launcher. I can explain my 'blank4launcher' in that thread too.

I haven't played many wads with custom weapons, but I think any chaingun replacement which makes the chaingun feel like an action movie chaingun and not just a better pistol is up there. Valiant's super chaingun is great and more balanced compared to the other weapons, but Mutabor's super chaingun makes the Onslaught difficulty the onslaught difficulty. No other chaingun has as much brrrrrrt per second.

The vulture machine gun from Combined arms v2.0. The gimmick is simple, as you fire the machine gun, the rate of fire increases (Which is done in alot of other mods). However, unlike alot of other weapon mods, the rate of fire does not decrease after letting go of the fire button. You have a few seconds before the rate of fire resets which gives you alot more control than is normally seen in high rate of fire weapons in doom. There is also the alt fire. As you use the primary fire, it fills up a bar than when full, allows you to shoot a beam that on impact with enemies drops small amounts of ammo.

The BFG 10k from Zandromiun mods.

10kSSG from too many super shotguns.

UAC Unmaker Prototype from Brutal Doom 64.

This is a bit tame compared to ZDooM weapons, but Struggle: Antaresian Legacy has the best-feeling Chaingun replacement. Great feedback and sound makes it an insanely satisfying weapon.

7 hours ago, Pechudin said:

This is a bit tame compared to ZDooM weapons, but Struggle: Antaresian Legacy has the best-feeling Chaingun replacement. Great feedback and sound makes it an insanely satisfying weapon.

The pistol in that game is incredibly satisfying to use also. As someone who prefers having pistols be more of a true marksman weapon than be something to be discarded, it was great to use that kind of pistol in that WAD. A close second is Valiant's pistol.

@BigMetalhead Valiant may have my favorite changes to the pistol and chaingun that I’ve ever played. So simple, so effective, and still felt moderately balanced.