Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

long shot, but heck... (internet sharing question)

Ok, I am trying to allow internet sharing on my home network. now, I know you need windows 98 SE to do this, when i try to install windows 98 SE over the top of plain old windows 98 on my computer, it says I need an upgrade kit for itand refuses to go any further. I had a look for this upgrade kit, and it turns out I need to buy it. the funny thing is, I managed to install windows 98 SE over windows 98 on the 2 other computers on the network just fine, and they both use the same windows 98 copy as is installed on mine, but mine is the only one that does this.

so, if you can give me advice on:

A) how I can get windows 98 SE to install over the old windows 98 with out me having to do something a bit hairy like deleting the windows directory or...

B) get the internet sharing progames (file, drivers, ect) from one of the computers with win 98 SE on them and install them on my old win 98 version.

C) (Legally) download internet sharing softwhere that works with the old version of windows 98.

I'm really stuck on this and I know it's not really what this fourms are for, but I'm a bit derperate. my future at doomworld depends on it!!!!

Cheers.

We use Sygate here, and guess what? It's free! :)

BTW, I don't think you do need SE for internet sharing, as the version I'm using right now isn't SE (I think, anyway ;) ).

Win98 doesn't have internet connection sharing. WinME/2000/XP do, though (and maybe NT).

So yeah, you need another program or something. I use AnalogX Proxy when I'm not using XP for the internet.

EDIT: Heh, NiGHTMARE beat me to it :P

Windows 98 *DOES* indeed come with internet sharing, located in 'Internet Tools'.
Jay and i use it so that we can both use the 'net via network cards and a single 56k modem.

Spike said:

Windows 98 *DOES* indeed come with internet sharing, located in 'Internet Tools'.
Jay and i use it so that we can both use the 'net via network cards and a single 56k modem.

Win98SE does, Win98 normal doesn't.

EDIT: further info, the update you could download for Win98 the same time SE came out updated 98 to include everything 98SE had except for the internet sharing. Nice way to force people to buy, dontcha think? :P

Spike said:

Heh, never knew that. Sharing a 56k connection sucks eh? :P I have to share a 56k connection between 3 computers...

between 3? Jeez, between 2 is bad enough, if Spike is d/loading anything it takes me 20mins to open a webpage, we never seem to get the full rate out of our modem, it's a bitch