Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
msx2plus

seeking claustrophobic "adventure" maps; ruins, caves, etc.

what is says on the tin - think along the lines of toxic touch and whatnot. would love to check out some varied approaches to the concept. preferably nothing too long (ie. under an hour preferred, under 30 mins ideal). any recommends are greatly appreciated. complevel 2/9 preferred.

Check the wad 5spiders by ryg . It's quite long but the design is really cramped.

There are some good ones in Lost Civilization, which has many different takes on exploration. There's an early map that takes place in a labyrinth of forest paths, another one that's set in an underground crypt in the middle of a nightmare, some maps that take place on cliffsides, a final map that has both an expansive overworld and a tighter underground lab complex. Just play the whole thing, you won't regret it.

Jade Earth is longer than you're looking for, but still a good study in layouts that make you feel hemmed in while still emphasizing both atmospheric details and smooth gameplay flow.

Since Roofi just posted, I'm reminded of how great Ventose is, but again bigger than what you're asking for.

But on the subject of UDoom maps, try Terminal. Or No End in Sight if you've missed it so far -- particularly E3M7. If I understand your tastes right, the whole set is right up your alley (or at least, the latter three eps are).

I'll continue adding if I come up with more recommendations. I keep running into the same problem: it's tough to find something that is all four of of A) a single map instead of a varied set, B) uniformly claustrophobic rather than a mix of spaces, C) all adventure gameplay rather than a mix of styles, and D) not large maps. It might help to study some of those great larger projects with good claustrophobic spaces and condense the ideas down, though. Here's some more: AvactorDimension of the BoomedMaskim XulMutaborGods & Guardians (and Alpha Accident), Legacy of HeroesOl' No NameSold Soul

Also, with apologies for (partially) tooting my own horn, The Iron Forge was a really interesting study for me. I tend toward making broader, more open spaces, but Xaser's layout in that map is a master class in all sorts of restrictive pathing, from narrow rooms to catwalks over lava to crusher mazes to "is it possible to make a fight happen on a steep rooftop?". It undoubtedly taught me more about how to switch up my own routine than any other map ever has.

Oh, also, don't forget pretty much everything didy has ever made (except Blofeld X). These may be exactly what you're after -- tight, labyrinthine, atmospheric, adventure/exploration-driven, and mostly compact. Monster Hunter and Bauhaus are probably the most famous, Red Line is the most modern, but Bell Tolls/Sigma/Sine Die/Axiom are my favorites.

Epic 2 is a full, vanilla-compat megawad like this - tons of atmosphere and exploration, encompassing ruins, caverns, and keeps of all sorts! There are a few pretty big maps towards the end, and a few which prioritize combat over exploration, but most of this wad is fairly quick and atmosphere-heavy.

47 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

I keep running into the same problem: it's tough to find something that is all four of of A) a single map instead of a varied set, B) uniformly claustrophobic rather than a mix of spaces, C) all adventure gameplay rather than a mix of styles, and D) not large maps.

for sure, i'm not expecting much to hit all the marks, rather interested in exploring a breadth of them but having preference. very few things will make a doom map a non-starter for me! i appreciate the recommends from everybody here, there are a few things i'm familiar with and a few things i'm not!

I know of a couple made by this guy who specializes in these sorts of maps, Dartagur Dungeon and Mortal Mechanism. They're both for GZDoom though, so I'm not sure that'll make a difference. And it's possible they could stretch over an hour of playtime, although not by lots.

On 3/5/2022 at 3:46 PM, Not Jabba said:

i have no idea how to get beyond the first room in this, sadly. i hit a switch and i'm covered in gargoyles and stranded on a tiny island, and the readme doesn't say anything about jumping etc