Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EPICALLL

Texure Mapping Issue

Question

So...This doesn't need much explanation.
I need My Ingame texture to look like the editor texure. And I can't get it to work.

Screenshot 2022-03-05 174613.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220305_174458.png

12 answers to this question

Ok, I had another look at the wad and yeah man, this wad is extremely messy.  Have a look at this screenshot:

Spoiler

OwEesJ1.png

You can see you have patch markers: P_START and P_END - your graphic 'DMQRVTU' needs to be within those markers. You also need to make sure you add it to TEXTURE1 too.

The way Doom works is that each texture is built from patches. Patches are defined in the patch table 'PNAMES' lump. In the TEXTURE1 lump you use those patches to make textures that you can then use in your map. If you want to just use a single image as a texture, like DMQRVTU, then you need to make sure its within the P markers and then right click on it > Graphic > Add to TEXTUREx.

Spoiler

pQitkTq.png

With how messy this wad is I would recommend making a new one. Take a look at DOOM2.WAD and see how that is laid out and then emulate that. Currently, you have maps then sprites then another map then more sprites etc. I'd also recommend adding version numbers so you can keep track of the latest version without having to copy paste it all the time.

If you link me to the wads that have the custom textures, sprites etc you want to use in your maps I can compile it for you quickly into an example wad so you can see how it all works and how to lay it out nicely.

Edit: @maxmanium is right which is why I think the texture half works (shows in editor but not in game). Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by xvertigox

4 hours ago, maxmanium said:

I don't think the P_START and P_END markers actually matter to the engine, they're just for sorting as far as I'm aware. Just needs to be in PNAMES to be usable in the TEXTURE1 list.

5 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Ok, I had another look at the wad and yeah man, this wad is extremely messy.  Have a look at this screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

OwEesJ1.png

You can see you have patch markers: P_START and P_END - your graphic 'DMQRVTU' needs to be within those markers. You also need to make sure you add it to TEXTURE1 too.

The way Doom works is that each texture is built from patches. Patches are defined in the patch table 'PNAMES' lump. In the TEXTURE1 lump you use those patches to make textures that you can then use in your map. If you want to just use a single image as a texture, like DMQRVTU, then you need to make sure its within the P markers and then right click on it > Graphic > Add to TEXTUREx.

Reveal hidden contents

pQitkTq.png

With how messy this wad is I would recommend making a new one. Take a look at DOOM2.WAD and see how that is laid out and then emulate that. Currently, you have maps then sprites then another map then more sprites etc. I'd also recommend adding version numbers so you can keep track of the latest version without having to copy paste it all the time.

If you link me to the wads that have the custom textures, sprites etc you want to use in your maps I can compile it for you quickly into an example wad so you can see how it all works and how to lay it out nicely.

Edit: @maxmanium is right which is why I think the texture half works (shows in editor but not in game). Thanks for the clarification.

No, actually, the problem was NEITHER of these.
By looking at the textureX list, the texture was saved at the wrong size, causing the small blue squares as seen in the in-game screenshot. By deleting the old disproportionate textureX registry, and then adding a newer, fixed one... It now works.

2 minutes ago, EPICALLL said:

Sweet, thanks. What's the texture name? Also, are you modifying an IWAD or something? This wad looks to have all the vanilla doom2.wad assets in it. The wad structure also looks wrong, you don't have makers for your sprites and you've got your textures mixed in with your sprites. What exactly are you wanting to do with this wad? Presumably, it's a resource wad for the map you're making. Which custom assets are you wanting to include? I can help you create a clean and functional resource wad if that's what you're after.

3 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Sweet, thanks. What's the texture name? Also, are you modifying an IWAD or something? This wad looks to have all the vanilla doom2.wad assets in it. The wad structure also looks wrong, you don't have makers for your sprites and you've got your textures mixed in with your sprites. What exactly are you wanting to do with this wad? Presumably, it's a resource wad for the map you're making. Which custom assets are you wanting to include? I can help you create a clean and functional resource wad if that's what you're after.

Texture is DMQRVTU
and if you want to compress the wad, sure, go for it.

41 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

You can see you have patch markers: P_START and P_END - your graphic 'DMQRVTU' needs to be within those markers.

I don't think the P_START and P_END markers actually matter to the engine, they're just for sorting as far as I'm aware. Just needs to be in PNAMES to be usable in the TEXTURE1 list.

Not sure if you have seen this vid by Doomkid but it explains exactly how to go about adding and modding textures.

Txt mods

I saw the double entry for that texture.

Which map are the screenshots from?

4 hours ago, Borg said:

I saw the double entry for that texture.

Which map are the screenshots from?

Map20. I'm remaking the map because the original was far too easy

18 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

No, actually, the problem was NEITHER of these.
By looking at the textureX list, the texture was saved at the wrong size, causing the small blue squares as seen in the in-game screenshot. By deleting the old disproportionate textureX registry, and then adding a newer, fixed one... It now works.

Nice work, glad you got it sorted by yourself! I knew that wasn't what was causing the error but I knew it was something to do the with sloppiness ;p A good cleanup fixes most issues.