Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

Deadline Announced! [Community Project] Pandora (Shovelware MegaWad) - All Slots Taken

I’ll ping some folks next week and see how they are looking.  Some people forget so you never know

On 3/6/2022 at 3:06 AM, Gibbon said:

Mapping Regulations:

Hide contents

- The level MUST be able to run in the original executable.

Long live shovelware!

I made a map that "runs" in Chocolate Doom.  It was fun and stress-relieving to make at least :).

Edit: it plays slightly differently in cl2 vs cl9 because of reasons I stumbled into while mapping it.

Name: Wombat Nuzzle

Slot: Map34 (or whatever, I'm just yeeting a map)

File: noisy_shovelware_2022_map1_v2.zip

Pics: 

262694651_Untitled-Copy-Copy.png.311e99a6b932842cd21d5f6cc4f073a2.png

Edited by NoisyVelvet : 1. wrong map version; 2. added map name

9 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I made a map that "runs" in Chocolate Doom.  It was fun and stress-relieving to make at least :).

Edit: it plays slightly differently in cl2 vs cl9 because of reasons I stumbled into while mapping it.

Name: Wombat Nuzzle

Slot: Map34 (or whatever, I'm just yeeting a map)

File: noisy_shovelware_2022_map1_v2.zip

Pics: 

262694651_Untitled-Copy-Copy.png.311e99a6b932842cd21d5f6cc4f073a2.png

This is it. this is the best map and it's fcking hilarious! (pics related)
SjFA1G5.png
zutl8fL.png
Q8pPP51.png

Well I'll be dammed..  I think I will have to open a 34 slot for this one.

Consider it done, I'll do that tonight :)

@Noiser - yep, my bad.  I'll fix that

Finally getting around to starting my map, so I figured I would play through everything in the current version of the wad. I have a demo for each map, some blind, some not, a few with a splice or two to help me out, since I'm no doom god. You can sort through the demos in here:

pandora_demos_largecat.zip

These were recorded in Crispy Doom using v1.7 of the wad. I'll keep a copy of it around in case the base wad gets updated enough to desync the demos.

Figured I'd also provide a brief thought on each map I played. I'm not well-versed in shovel-ware, so it's possible some of my thoughts can be written off as "it's supposed to be shovelware, don't worry about it."

Spoiler

MAP01 by @xdude_gamer

I wasn't able to complete this one. I couldn't find a way into the room with the exit; the "door" on the north side of the archvile room won't open, and there's no teleport destination for the line in the long cyberdemon room.

MAP02 by @DynamiteKaitorn

I liked that this one had a theme going, and the midi seemed to complement the "posh" atmosphere.

MAP03 by @Paf

Played through the map fine, though I almost missed the rocket launcher. This is a quick one to blast through, which seems to be when shovelware is at its best, based on my limited experience.

MAP04 by @Clippy

This one's tricky, as you're in the hands of RNG a little bit when you're pinballing from cyberdemon rockets, and the nonexistence of health pickups requires care once invuln is gone. There is potential for a slog depending on how many hell nobles survive the initial bash. Thankfully, there is no potential for slog with the second set of hell nobles.

MAP06 by @ShadesMaster

Ammo starts off pretty scarce, which can make the intro tricky if you don't decide to run further into the dark before killing everything. Pecking the mastermind to death only to find the crusher afterward felt on-brand for this wad.

MAP07 by @ScrappyMcDoogerton

This map is easily above my paygrade, as I needed more than one splice to complete, and I still don't think I have a consistent strategy for it. I think the splices occur after the first fight in the big outdoor arena where you get the rocket launcher and right before the return to the starting room. I "conquered" the map eventually though.

MAP08 by @Roofi

The crushers really had me worried, but thankfully you gave me everything I needed to make it across consistently. There was a little heat to some of the combat, but it felt like baby stuff after playing MAP07.

MAP09 by @Worriedidiot

Didn't find many secrets on my first playthrough, so I obviously went back to find the treat that is 14 sectors next to each other.

MAP12 by @Walter confetti

I liked this one a lot overall. Very "tasteful" "use" of doom"cute".

MAP15 by @Nikoxenos

We all know the secret exit is here, and the map provided a satisfying menagerie of old-school secrets all over. It's too bad I had to do a second pass to find the secret exit.

MAP16 by @knifeworld

The pace was good here; it was a nice big single encounter where I get to decide what to do with a pile of monsters and guns.

MAP18 by @Paf

I liked the concept of a needlessly large outdoor arena with a bunch of monsters, though the gameplay did have a tendency to drag due to the large amount of meat to punch through. I had to look at the map editor during my playthrough to figure out how to raise the lift to the building with an army of hitscan.

MAP19 by @Thelokk

The start here was somewhat hot, but once that's wrangled, the map falls over without much of a fight. Good pacing of initial challenge, then some cooldown.

MAP21 by @Noiser

This was another harder map, given its non-obvious but almost mandatory route. The blue room with archviles and the mastermind was a standout fight.

MAP25 by @Spineapple tea

Short and sweet. Not much else to say. If this wad had intentional pacing, I would call this a nice breather map.

MAP32 by @Pistoolkip

The gimmick works fine and is generally easy. The possible exception is the two keens behind crushers, which are also the closest to the cyber, making them much harder to deal with than the rest.

Hopefully I'll be able to make my own contribution in the next day or two.

shovelwareCP_map26.zip

Hey, this is the map. Hopefully the extra monsters and items in multiplayer (co-op) feels right since I don't have much time to test it out, let me know your feedback on the extra multiplayer items, if you can, I guess. 

I purposely made the map crap, but to be honest, after I'm looked at it, it looks like a mediocre map from early 2000s from someone that doesn't know how to align textures, eh, hope it looks like junk you find on something like D!ZONE

Name: Left in Hell

MAP slot: MAP26

MIDI used: MAP04 MIDI

Build time: 2 days

Editor used: Doom Builder X

Tetsted with: Chocolate Doom v 2.02 (don't ask why)

Playable in Deathmatch? : No

Playable in Co-op? : Yes

Edited by lokbustam257 : added the name of the map

Great stuff I’ll give them a spin today.  I’m sure this is a real golden nugget..  of the shovelware variety ;)

Edit:

MAP26 - loved it.  Fun and quick, really nice.  Reminded me of a gene bird map.

MAP34 - perfect troll map :) funny as hell

Mappers - so I noticed a few maps had the midi file at the top of the content in slade.  This makes deutex ignore it.  So I moved the midi files to the bottom of the list in a few and now they are all included.

Because our wad is now 4.3MB in size, DW are stingy and won't allow uploads of more than 1.85MB.  So I have provided a link and key to the MEGAUPLOAD site where it is hosted.

Edited by Gibbon

6 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

How is it looking with your maps?  Just an update would be good, no pressure :)

Working on it. Just need some time that I don't have right now.

(totally not pressuring myself because I also need to get another wad finished)

17 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Low priority due to:

5. Deadline: When it is done.

I have a two projects I need to do for April 1st which are high priority - afterwards I will most likely return to making my map for this. I have probably 15-20% done thus far with a general idea on how to further it.

21 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

How is it looking with your maps?

It's going decently! I'm not particularly experienced with making maps so it's been a massive learning experience, but I'm fairly happy with how it's turning out. I've almost finished the main part of the map, and then i'll get to tweaking it a bit so it plays well, and then implementing difficulty settings and such.

2 hours ago, Gibbon said:

@Endless @thiccyosh @Wavy @Origamyde @Pasokon Deacon @ReaperAA @Dusty_Rhodes @Shibainumaster @Large Cat @Jaccident @Jark @Paf @Astronomical @SilverMiner

I'll be honest, I really haven't even started it yet (apart from making a single test room). Given how fast the project is going and the fact that I suddenly have fairly busy job schedule IRL for the next few weeks, I am thinking of dropping from the project.

I know @ShadesMaster expressed their desire to make a map for this project. If they still want to, they can take my slot.

3 hours ago, Gibbon said:

@Endless @thiccyosh @Wavy @Origamyde @Pasokon Deacon @ReaperAA @Dusty_Rhodes @Shibainumaster @Large Cat @Jaccident @Jark @Paf @Astronomical @SilverMiner

Done a long time ago, sorry for forgetting to ping you when I released it 😅

Here's the link :

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2464446

5 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Been busy working with school and working on another due map for another project. Dunno when I'll submit a map for this project but it'll be Eventually™

6 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Just starting, but I suspect the map will get done quickly once I get into it, as I am cutting out the bulk of the time of my workflow spent on planning and polishing.

I have finished a map for this project just to see if I could make something half-decent for vanilla limitations (I think I did!) so if anyone relinquishes a slot, keep me in mind :)

9 hours ago, Helm said:

I have finished a map for this project just to see if I could make something half-decent for vanilla limitations (I think I did!) so if anyone relinquishes a slot, keep me in mind :)

I can open slot 35, which is the last slot possible in vanilla doom.

Computer Server Cooling Station Depot v2

Changelog:

Added rad suit behind Archvile before Cyberdemon fight
Secret passages stay open behind you for DM routing
Added pillar near first Archvile for easier hiding
Added 'exit sign' clue to secret exit

Thanks to ScrappyMcDoogerton for playtesting.

new upload for bugfixes

final version unless something's gone horribly wrong

texture used: SHAWN
map name: SHAWN IN HELL
midi: Annihilator - ALISON HELL

Shawn_in_Hell_b2_mod.zip

@Gibbon MEGA says the decryption key is incorrect, can you send me the new one? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Paf said:

@Gibbon MEGA says the decryption key is incorrect, can you send me the new one? Thanks!

Added a combined link now.

23 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Added a combined link now.

Thanks!

My MAP28 is starting to get pretty big and get a bunch of linedefs. MAP28.png.6440a47f5a193f9c33f5b49034fa94df.png

Hi, I’ve mostly finished my map but I don’t have a lot of experience with what comes after finishing a map because I’ve never actually finished one before. I’ve tested it in crispy doom since chocolate doom doesn’t work on my computer, and the visplane explorer in UDB says everything is fine so I’m pretty sure everything should work in DOS but I’ll test that once everything else is finished. I have a few questions, though:

• You said the map must have support for all play types, including DM and coop. I’ve never played either of these much, so what does this entail for the map?
  • Do I need to have a custom midi? (I don’t know any midis so if I do I’ll need to do a bit of searching)

The google drive link to the first version of my map is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ba6un83X5ddfH62a0dNGTMlDY4pey7uK/view?usp=sharing

I’m fairly happy with it, although it still feels a bit amateurish.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Paf said:

@Gibbon BTW, will there ever be a Pandora 2? Or are you not sure yet?

Maybe, maybe not.  I have to balance community projects with my source port developing and contributing to other source ports.