Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

Deadline Announced! [Community Project] Pandora (Shovelware MegaWad) - All Slots Taken

Aha that’s probably why I missed it, my brain ignores random Google drive links I guess :)  I’ll add it in.

On 6/17/2022 at 12:38 AM, Gibbon said:

Okay, it is June 17th (I actually extended this by 2 days).

That means there is officially exactly 2 weeks until Pandora will be released.  Anybody who cannot finish the maps within 1 week (leaving 1 week for testing and binary creation) will have their map slots opened / given to someone else to do it.

Anyone who doesn't respond by Monday, I will do it anyway.

I don't want to sound unreasonable, it is just that during the summer, I will be pretty busy with doing a lot of renovation and so I'd rather it get released this year, not next year.

Really excited to play the released project! This WAD has such a unique and interesting theme.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:46 AM, Gibbon said:

Fine with me

Considering that Astronomical hasn't been on in two and a half months, you could give their spot to xdude here.

On another note, I asked Pasokon about this on Discord, and you probably shouldn't expect a map by the deadline from him. Probably

10 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

On another note, I asked Pasokon about this on Discord, and you probably shouldn't expect a map by the deadline from him. Probably

I’ll do that one myself.

So, I've just passed a noon making my map, is total chaos and i like it!

Just needs some fixing and is done.

When I found the force (I'm not exaggerating, it's pretty hot in these days, probably in the early morning i can go to my PC and upload some stuff i made these days.

9 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

So, I've just passed a noon making my map, is total chaos and i like it!

Just needs some fixing and is done.

When I found the force (I'm not exaggerating, it's pretty hot in these days, probably in the early morning i can go to my PC and upload some stuff i made these days.

I feel ya.  It was 38C here the other day...

So as promised, I waited until EOD on Monday.  I have now opened up Pasokan's, Paf's, SilverMiners and Jark's slots.

Get em while they are hot :D

7 hours ago, Gibbon said:

So as promised, I waited until EOD on Monday.  I have now opened up Pasokan's, Paf's, SilverMiners and Jark's slots.

unknown.png?width=670&height=551

Argh I didn't update it did I..  slap me, go on..  do it! :)

Edit: Fixed!  Jark is official shovelware mastermind

5 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Argh I didn't update it did I..  slap me, go on..  do it! :)

Edit: Fixed!  Jark is official shovelware mastermind

A simple mistake, however I must once more correct that the map name is RoseField and the music is called Misplaced Anticipation not the other way around :)

A shovelware map, eh? Color me interested.

Put me down for MAP14, or MAP28 if that's taken.

That said, if vanilla is your compatibility aim, why have MAP33-35?

9 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

A shovelware map, eh? Color me interested.

Put me down for MAP14, or MAP28 if that's taken.

That said, if vanilla is your compatibility aim, why have MAP33-35?

Because we can, it just isn't accessible without the cheatcodes.

Well, I like the theme, so guess I'll make another one! Put me in for MAP28 now that it's open. :)

14 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Agh! I forgot to upload my map! I thought I did it yesterday but I apparently didn't. I assume it's too late to post but I'll post it anyway.

Name: archvile

Midi: none

Map: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/950130727532507210/988863385036787742/shovelware28.wad

EDIT: I'll take MAP29 so I can still have this map in the wad, then!

Edited by Paf

1 hour ago, Paf said:

Agh! I forgot to upload my map! I thought I did it yesterday but I apparently didn't. I assume it's too late to post but I'll post it anyway.

Name: archvile

Midi: none

Map: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/950130727532507210/988863385036787742/shovelware28.wad

Wait, actually, can you just put this in the MAP29 slot then? Thanks!

Edit: @Gibbon

Edited by Paf

Now that I'm home, I took a peek in the WAD and saw a few potential issues that may come up, given the terms of the project and it being vanilla-compatible.

• MAP09 may not run under vanilla - REJECT is zero bytes.
  • MAP10 has a custom name graphic, but the name has no chance of fitting under DeHackEd name length rules.
    • (Not to mention the rules said only graphics from actual shovelware wads could be used.)
  • There's multiple TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps in the WAD - vanilla will not be happy about this, IIRC.
  • All sorts of sound effects (PC and Wave) alike from the original game are in here; only the different ones should be kept.
  • BBRNA0/B0 lumps seem to be double-defined (and from the original game anyway).

Basically, the short answer is to run the thing in Chocolate Doom. If it works there, it's vanilla-kosher. If not... well, it'll let you know. :P

EDIT: Just tried playing it under it, and in MAP01, Chocolate Doom crashes as soon as you try to go through the door to the left, due to two-sided linedef just before it having an invalid special (15375). Sooooo... yeah, this needs some proper testing on Chocolate, ASAP.

EDIT 2: And, for that matter, there's two MAP01 markers. The one I'm talking about is 39.81 KB in size. Which shouldn't even be possible. (Perhaps it's intended to be MAP33, since that MAP01 comes right after the MAP33 marker.)

EDIT 3: Just gonna keep a running log of issues here...

• MAP04
    • Impossible from a pistol start (you are surrounded by barrels and loads of chaingunners who will turn the instant you make a noise), and not all that much easier even if you do have some weapons.
    • Crashed with a visplane overflow when you are in the area with all the shotguns lined up and look back towards the start of the level, if the door is being triggered.
Edited by Dark Pulse

DOOM0009.png.62255c3e2023f22be37fe4907ec3012a.png

ojaste-mus.zip

Title: Flies (They die like it!)

Author: Walter

Tested with: chocorenderlimits, Crispy Doom 5.10.1

New music: Starship - We built this city

More stuff to know in the text file.

Edited by Walter confetti : swapped the midi to mus format

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Now that I'm home, I took a peek in the WAD and saw a few potential issues that may come up, given the terms of the project and it being vanilla-compatible.

• MAP09 may not run under vanilla - REJECT is zero bytes.
  • MAP10 has a custom name graphic, but the name has no chance of fitting under DeHackEd name length rules.
    • (Not to mention the rules said only graphics from actual shovelware wads could be used.)
  • There's multiple TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps in the WAD - vanilla will not be happy about this, IIRC.
  • All sorts of sound effects (PC and Wave) alike from the original game are in here; only the different ones should be kept.
  • BBRNA0/B0 lumps seem to be double-defined (and from the original game anyway).

Basically, the short answer is to run the thing in Chocolate Doom. If it works there, it's vanilla-kosher. If not... well, it'll let you know. :P

EDIT: Just tried playing it under it, and in MAP01, Chocolate Doom crashes as soon as you try to go through the door to the left, due to two-sided linedef just before it having an invalid special (15375). Sooooo... yeah, this needs some proper testing on Chocolate, ASAP.

EDIT 2: And, for that matter, there's two MAP01 markers. The one I'm talking about is 39.81 KB in size. Which shouldn't even be possible. (Perhaps it's intended to be MAP33, since that MAP01 comes right after the MAP33 marker.)

EDIT 3: Just gonna keep a running log of issues here...

• MAP04
    • Impossible from a pistol start (you are surrounded by barrels and loads of chaingunners who will turn the instant you make a noise), and not all that much easier even if you do have some weapons.
    • Crashed with a visplane overflow when you are in the area with all the shotguns lined up and look back towards the start of the level, if the door is being triggered.

Thanks!  I’m testing it on vanilla DOS once I get time.  I don’t use Choco.

4 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Thanks!  I’m testing it on vanilla DOS once I get time.  I don’t use Choco.

Good to hear, but this definitely needs to be done ASAP from what I've seen so far.

Choco will have to do for those of us not on DOS machines though, of course. :)

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Good to hear, but this definitely needs to be done ASAP from what I've seen so far.

Choco will have to do for those of us not on DOS machines though, of course. :)

I will be editing maps that do fail vanilla limits and yes some maps were a slot one internally or had some music jumbled around, no idea why deutex is duplicating files though like TEXTURE that should only happen once.

Swapped the midi file to proper MUS file, works with almost no issues now (expect a little lowering on the volume when the organ part starts at the begining)

Also tested on vaniila exe on dosbox, works.

5 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Swapped the midi file to proper MUS file, works with almost no issues now (expect a little lowering on the volume when the organ part starts at the begining)

Also tested on vaniila exe on dosbox, works.

Thanks a lot!  Perfect stuff.

Tonight I will be on DOSBOX going through the wad and will be starting to fix maps that crash vanilla and try to get deutex to behave itself.

Added a new basewad.

Fixes:

• MAP04 is made more reasonable for pistol starters by adding a BFG with ammo on all difficulties (thanks to the double cyberdemons making it all but impossible otherwise).
  • MAP10 is fixed, removed all the junk inside and added default textures to all the unknown ones, making it Choco compatible (almost).
  • Several other maps were MAP01 instead of their actual slots, so this was changed.  
  • All duplicate TEXTURE and PNAME lumps are removed
  • All custom textures removed
  • MAP01 has been modified to not overflow visplanes

Notes:

Somes maps crash vanilla when noclipping out and looking around due to visplane, solidseg etc.. but do not crash in normal gameplay, I will allow this.

MAP10 has too many scrolling sidedefs for vanilla - @thiccyosh - you can remove the scrolling sidedefs or I can?

The wad is now perfectly clean, all maps have their designated numbers, all maps have their MIDI file, except maps 33 - 35 which do not have any designated midi's as they are officially 'unsupported' but still work.

40 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

MAP10 has too many scrolling sidedefs for vanilla - @thiccyosh - you can remove the scrolling sidedefs or I can?

It does? You may remove them, doesn't really affect the map eitherway.

1 hour ago, thiccyosh said:

It does? You may remove them, doesn't really affect the map eitherway.

Yeah, you had like 80 in those teeny tiny sidedefs.  I deleted all but 8 on both and it is now playable.  Vanilla limit is 64.

New basewad with a fixed map10 is up!