Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Poxel12

(First map) Yard Fight V1.1

Hello! Welcome to my first map i spend some time making in my free time.
Enjoy!

Tested With GZDoom and PRBoom+.

I recommend playing with GZDoom or PRBoom+ on complevel 2.
IWAD is Doom 2.

For first time playing the map i suggest HMP.

Map and Intermission Music is from Rise of The Triad.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_212027.png.5d56d5e631b3c5292d3694f57cc22cf9.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_212033.png.899c5611d9f9e47d73d1ce8e187bb465.png

Download: Yard Fight V1.1.zip

Edited by Poxel12

Good stuff. Some of the encounters can just be dealt with by walking away and the ammo balance is quite generous, but the traps are quite fun. Texturing is also pretty neat for your first try at mapping.

40 minutes ago, Synami said:

Good stuff. Some of the encounters can just be dealt with by walking away and the ammo balance is quite generous, but the traps are quite fun. Texturing is also pretty neat for your first try at mapping.

Thank you for playing through my map :)

I do have to agree that some encounters can be dealt with walking away, but maybe in the future i will fix that.

Played on UV, against your recommendation. Maybe I like the sense of danger. I recorded my blind playthrough in yardfight.zip.

Your suggestion of starting on HMP combined with your music choice made me expect something grueling, but the combat ended up offering little resistance, I think, in part because there is always plenty of room to back away if things ever heat up. Even if I don't want to back away, I can cut through the hitscanners with the SSG no problem, since they're all in a pack. I think one thing that you can do to kick your combat up a notch is experiment with ways to make monsters come at the player from multiple angles. You can accomplish this with balconies or perches and making your rooms open up in many directions from the entrance. You could also work with monster closets; your two cacodemons in the pillar could have been very spicy if you released them while some other enemies are in front of you.

Visually, you seem to be doing well giving variation between rooms, so I think you might want to explore giving more details within rooms. You've started this with features like the silver columns in the corners of the courtyard, and I think you can go further with these sorts of ideas to create more visual flair in individual areas.

On progression, I think there is a little more running across the courtyard than necessary, flipping a switch to open a switch to open a door, etc.. To keep interest, I think this is a good time to release more monsters in the courtyard with each subsequent visit. That's a great way to keep the energy level high when backtracking, and it also gives more focus on the map's eponymous yard.

That about sums up the thoughts I had while playing. Even if the combat fell easily, it was still entertaining and the pace didn't sag. Keep mapping, and I'll hopefully get to see what else you put out there!

4 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

Played on UV, against your recommendation. Maybe I like the sense of danger. I recorded my blind playthrough in yardfight.zip.

Your suggestion of starting on HMP combined with your music choice made me expect something grueling, but the combat ended up offering little resistance, I think, in part because there is always plenty of room to back away if things ever heat up. Even if I don't want to back away, I can cut through the hitscanners with the SSG no problem, since they're all in a pack. I think one thing that you can do to kick your combat up a notch is experiment with ways to make monsters come at the player from multiple angles. You can accomplish this with balconies or perches and making your rooms open up in many directions from the entrance. You could also work with monster closets; your two cacodemons in the pillar could have been very spicy if you released them while some other enemies are in front of you.

Visually, you seem to be doing well giving variation between rooms, so I think you might want to explore giving more details within rooms. You've started this with features like the silver columns in the corners of the courtyard, and I think you can go further with these sorts of ideas to create more visual flair in individual areas.

On progression, I think there is a little more running across the courtyard than necessary, flipping a switch to open a switch to open a door, etc.. To keep interest, I think this is a good time to release more monsters in the courtyard with each subsequent visit. That's a great way to keep the energy level high when backtracking, and it also gives more focus on the map's eponymous yard.

That about sums up the thoughts I had while playing. Even if the combat fell easily, it was still entertaining and the pace didn't sag. Keep mapping, and I'll hopefully get to see what else you put out there!

I recommended HMP because i felt like the amount of enemies would be too much for the player.

Maybe in the future i will attempt on some ideas you gave me, for example: the fights in the courtyard.

This was a good first map!  I played on UV, and though I'd say the ammo supply was a tad generous, the monster selection worked well. Nice job!

Spoiler

You could consider making things a bit more challenging in the caco fight by not permitting the player to exit the room back into the main area until he presses a switch or something.  And the final fight, just before the exit, might be better on UV (probably UV only) as 2 Hell Knights and one Revenant. 

It's ok a for first map, but on the short side.

You traps are way to easy to avoid. for example in the red key room you should also pen a monster closet in the corridor faking the players back and place some of the monsters there!

The map is quite big it is called yard fight though there is no fight taking place in the yard, the enemies are all clumped up and can easily be run by but my biggest problem is the secret. It just gives too much advantage in my opinion. BUT I really enjoyed it, as a first introductory map is quite short and fun.

The partime is brutal though. This is my best run.

Csucskos-yardrecord.zip

15 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

What source port is this made for? What complevel should I play with? 

7 hours ago, Poxel12 said:

Tested With GZDoom and PRBoom+

Hope it helps.

The main yard seems like a lot of wasted space, but the individual rooms are all right and the progression flows well as new traps are sprung. Not too shabby at all for a first map. Nicely done ;^)

For a first map, this is nice.

The map looks good, more decorations would be great.

Next time, make ambushes harder to avoid.  For example, that horde of hitscanners would be more dangerous if it emerged from the wall near the entrance.

The yard itself is a lot of wasted space -- it only has 3 pinkies.

Demo included (-complevel 2).

yardfight.zip

8 hours ago, Dubbag said:

Hey there, saw the video!
first off, the profile picture is from a video i watched, i screenshotted a kid's face when he was looking in the camera because for me it was funny.

second off, this map was a part of a megawad, but i decided that i would make it into a single map, but who knows, maybe in the future i will make a megawad.

Also thanks for playing my map :)

Sorry for the late response, i was busy with school.

Edited by Poxel12

17 hours ago, Csucskos said:

Hope it helps.

It does not. I literally did read that, but it wasn't specific enough, hence why I asked.

They said it was tested with GZDoom and PrBoom+, but PrBoom+ has multiple complevels, and the person didn't say which one to use when playing the map.

The complevels in PrBoom+ make major changes to how the game plays, so if you play in a complevel the author didn't test in, you're quite literally playing with major differences in gameplay that the author did not design for.

Anyways, just now the first post was edited to specify that this is indeed a map that merely requires any (possibly limit-removing) source port, as it was made for complevel 2.

Anyways, did a UV-speed demo for Chocolate Doom:

yardfast.7z

50 seconds.

Edited by Nikku4211

Map has been Tweaked!

Changes include:
- Adding two new fights and changed the already existing ones
- Added one secret and changed the already existing one
- Added some decoration

Hope this will change some of the problems from the old map!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_212027.png.aac4a0ec8c8da7bc1116b378bac0767a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_212033.png.a410669ad8cd2713b635a6f5581e7232.png

This definitely fixes a couple of issues with the first version.

- The switch that lets you out of the red key room seems to be a one-time use, and if you don't escape then the path out closes and you can't reopen it. Although it does lead to a new secret since the first version, is there any reason you couldn't just have that reopen the door you came in through?

- The courtyard is still quite large for the few fights which take place in it. You have quite an intense ambush (not a bad thing) in the red key room, which makes the few Revenants and Barons which appear in the yard quite non-threatening.

As a first map it's certainly not bad at all. It's maybe something where you now leave it as it is and were you to make another yard themed map later on, take the lessons you've learned from this one.

19 hours ago, Degree23 said:

This definitely fixes a couple of issues with the first version.

- The switch that lets you out of the red key room seems to be a one-time use, and if you don't escape then the path out closes and you can't reopen it. Although it does lead to a new secret since the first version, is there any reason you couldn't just have that reopen the door you came in through?

- The courtyard is still quite large for the few fights which take place in it. You have quite an intense ambush (not a bad thing) in the red key room, which makes the few Revenants and Barons which appear in the yard quite non-threatening.

As a first map it's certainly not bad at all. It's maybe something where you now leave it as it is and were you to make another yard themed map later on, take the lessons you've learned from this one.

Well, i juzt wanted to experiment a little and stuff. also i didn't know that the switch is one use, tomorrow i will fix it and, as you said, leave it as it is. 

fixed it, now it should be repeatable.

Edited by Poxel12

On 3/6/2022 at 6:34 PM, Poxel12 said:

Hello! Welcome to my first map i spend some time making in my free time.
Enjoy!

Tested With GZDoom and PRBoom+.

I recommend playing with GZDoom or PRBoom+ on complevel 2.
IWAD is Doom 2.

For first time playing the map i suggest HMP.

Map and Intermission Music is from Rise of The Triad.

Screenshots:

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_212027.png.5d56d5e631b3c5292d3694f57cc22cf9.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220307_212033.png.899c5611d9f9e47d73d1ce8e187bb465.png

I like really like this, Good job.

Doom 2 [Yard Fight V1.1.wad] - MAP01 [Yard Fight] - UVMax Speedrun Smooth Mod