Project GHAG: Gardevoir Has A Gun [1.4 - 06MAR2023] Gardevoir Day Update

(Old footage trailer)

Requires GZDoom 4.10.0 or later
Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/28np5smnst7ywq1/GHAG1.4.pk3?dl=0

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/y9u4Qo1

The Concept:

• Gardevoir is PISSED and he has a FUCKING GUN
  • Health max at 350
  • Dig your anger up! Collect Rage Essence dropped by enemies and increase your lethality
  • Collect small health bonuses from slain enemies
  • Use telekinesis to pull objects towards you and activate linedefs

Detailed Mechanics

• As your anger increases, your arsenal grows in lethality. All (but one) of your attacks and weapons gains a buff as you get angrier.
  • Anger drains slowly when idle. Maintain the pressure.
  • Attacks that are "Pokemon moves" cost no ammo, but instead drain anger with repeated use.
  • Berserk packs grant a tremendous amount of rage and can go over the soft anger cap
  • Bigger enemies drop bigger Rage Essence and Health Bonuses
  • Enemies will drop Rage Candy bars as you progress through a map
  • Sometimes, you may find an extra gun inside of a secret, allowing for akimbo wielding
  • Backpacks stack! Every backpack found increases your ammo capacity by 50 percent.
  • Name your guns like you would your pokemon!
  • Tap your run button to perform a dash

The Arsenal

9mm Pistol

Spoiler

There's no need to touch such a filthy object, you're too lazy for that in fact. Lot easier to just make it float in place, and you're pretty sure you can operate it faster than what it's designed to do.

Primary fire: Single fire precision mode

• Fire rate increases with anger
  • Accuracy increases with anger

Alt fire: Forced fuller-auto mode

• Higher and consistent fire rate
  • Accuracy gradually decreases with use
  • Fires all acquired handguns

Shotgun

Spoiler

Did I imply all guns are filthy? No, I just meant a generic pistol is filthy. You're not levitating this Winchester 1912 shotgun out of disgust, you're holding it out of respect.

Primary fire:

• Uses special psychically charged ammunition, granting more pellets per shot with greater anger
  • Press your reload key to switch to using it as a bludgeon

Alt fire:

• Fire all shotguns at once
  • Fires more pellets at lower speeds, but has a slower fire rate

Nailgun

Spoiler

Nails are more sadistic if you ask me

Shares ammo pool with pistols
Projectiles rip through enemies
Projectiles suffer from drop off

As anger increases:

• Nails do greater damage

Alt-Fire: Shoot all held nailguns

Rocket Launcher

Spoiler

Let's have a quick ordnance lesson. What happens when you set C4 on fire? Well it just sits there and burns... No really, it doesn't do anything besides that. What happens when you light C4 on fire and then hit it with a shovel while it's burning? I hope you're okay living without limbs for the rest of your life. This concept can be applied to rockets as well, the more kinetic energy you give them, the bigger the boom! Heck, you don't even need the device that launches them to begin with! You can throw them faster with your mind than whatever two bit rocket fuel it's using.

Primary fire:

• Who needs a rocket launcher? Just throw the damn things yourself!
  • They even have their own cute little names!
  • Impact damage increases with anger
  • Explosion range and damage increases with anger

Alt fire:

• Hold to queue up to seven rockets
  • Release to send a rapid volley of explosives

Plasma Rifle

Spoiler

Sometimes all you need is raw damage output, and you can carry up to four! Unfortunately, you can't operate electronics at a faster speed like your other guns, but thanks to technology, they do come with extra perks!

• Extra plasma guns don't cost more ammo!
  • Alt fire will send a BFG blast. More plasma rifles will reduce charge time and ammo cost

PSY-BP12

Spoiler

A staple of the PSY-SWAT Special Ops team, standing for Psychic Bullet Punch, owing it's name to the fact that psychic types cannot learn that move. This shotgun takes any 12 guage ammunition and psionically charges the shells into highly lethal slugs that can auto-target towards enemies that are perceived as threats by the wielder, assuming the wielder's psychic abilities are strong enough. Very few pokemon are naturally able to take full advantage of this gun, and only a handful of humans have mastered the weapon after decades of training.

Shares ammo pool with Shotgun.
Fires two psionically charged slugs.
The projectiles do not discriminate between friend or foe when moving towards their next target, one must exercise caution and be aware of any potential friendly fire to themselves or allied bodies.

As anger increases:

• More enemies will be targeted per every 10% anger held.

Alt-Fire: Shoot all held guns at once

Psycho Cutter

Spoiler

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU.

More chainsaws means more damage!

Primary fire

• Generic chainsaw melee
  • Range increases with anger

Alt fire

• fucking THROW the chainsaw and lodge it into your enemies to lacerate them

Ice Punch

Spoiler

Sometimes you just really need to beat the shit out of someone. Costs, but does not require, anger to use.
Freezing enemies is just a bonus.

• Punch damage increases with anger
  • AOE range increases with anger
  • Use with any gun! (Bind Weapon Action 1)

Swift

Spoiler

One of the most plain, yet effective moves in the world of pokemon. Fires a projectile that always seeks out enemies as best as it can.

• Anger slightly increases fire rate
  • Grants bonus projectiles with anger
  • Damage increases significantly

Moon Blast

Spoiler

Channeling the spiritual essence of the moon into a giant "FUCK YOU" blast of destructive power.

• Deals massive damage indiscriminately to anything in it's AOE
  • Anger increases range and great;y increases damage
  • Costs a decent chunk of anger
  • If there isn't enough anger, you'll have to charge the attack

The Black Hole

Spoiler

You want everything indiscriminately dead? Strike terror into anything that just happens to survive?

Summon a black hole. Charge it up by sacrificing as much anger as you can into this attack. Anything caught within this attacks range will be absolutely eviscerated and leave no traces behind. Anything lucky enough to survive will have fear struck into them so hard, they'll finally learn messing with you was a bad idea and run for their lives.

Be warned, this will suck up *anything*. Health, ammunition, powerups, decorations, and even your own projectiles. Fortunately not you, since you can ignore gravity.

Requires GZDoom 4.10.0 or later
Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/28np5smnst7ywq1/GHAG1.4.pk3?dl=0

Edited by Kevansevans : Update thread

Hey! Been a bit, here's an update!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9jk321i2q8myv9/GHAG1.2.pk3?dl=0

Added:
- Tutorial Map!
Fixed:
- Blackhole damage algorithm. No longer indefinitely heals enemies.
- Blackhole feeding on actors that can cause it to stay spawned indefinitely
- Infinite ammo causing problems for certain guns
- Shotgun alt-fire/thwack mode buginess
- Shotgun alt-fire not keeping up with primary fire
- Megasphere behavior
- Max rocket speed causing weird behaviors
- minor sound issues
- RNG Names for Rocket, much more random now
- Difficulty no longer affects bonus gun pickups
- "Give all" command works better
- Perpetually spinning barrels
Changed:
- Ice Punch no longer a separate weapon. Pressing Mouse 4 will perform ice punch with any weapon.
- Ice Punch nerfed in power. Deals less damage, lower range, but no longer consumes rage.
- Ice Punch will allow you to leap at enemies.
- Ammo types will no longer grant guns. You need to find guns in maps now in order to use them.
- Items within kinesis ping need to also be visible to player in order to work

No source material inspiration actually, never played Unite. Just saw a few other mods that did something similar, and tried to make mine stand out.

Big update for Gardevoir day! This, as far as I can see, will be the last update for GHAG. The code has grown old, stale, and ugly for me, and the work I need to add in more features and clean everything up feels overwhelming. Thank you everyone for your kind words and praise for this project!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/28np5smnst7ywq1/GHAG1.4.pk3?dl=0

Changes:

Spoiler

Changes:
- Guns are now 3D models! (And dynamically move!)
- Kinesis ping uses better formula for pulling items
- With the above, rage essence no longer seeks the player
- Pokemon moves do not have access to Ice Punch attack.
- Adjusted Moonblast
  - Costs 20% anger to use now
  - Moonblast rail beam does a base damage of 512 and increases with anger, where as before it was purely cosmetic.
  - No longer need to click and hold to charge attack.
  - Newer sprites to better illustrate the attack needs to be charged.
  - Charge time reduces with more anger.
- Improved Ice Punch leap ability.
- Swift relocated to Slot 2 with the pistol.
- Enemies killed with pokemon moves no longer drop health bonuses.
- Removed bonus spawns in secrets.
- Replaced system with a progession system.
  - At 25, 50, and 75 percent enemies killed, enemies will drop a rage candy bar.
  - At 100 percent, an extra gun will drop.
  - This should lower the bar of entry for map(s) that don't focus as much on secrets.
- With the above change, Rage candy bars will only increase max rage by 1.5% to better scale across 32 levels.
- Kills provide a 1 second delay that prevents anger from draining. As anger increases, this will grant up to an extra second of delay depending on rage amount.
- With the above change, anger drains slightly more aggressively than it did before.
- Pistol alt-fire will now auto-target all visible enemies, 1 per extra gun you have.
- Dashing will factor in player pitch, allowing for greater jumps in the air
- Plasmarifle buff: As anger increases, the odds of not consuming ammo are increased, up to a 75% chance of not consuming ammo.
- Added CVAR to toggle on/off silly rocket names.
- Greatly improved and streamlined tutorial map.

Fixes:
- Alt-fire shotgun while in THWACK mode not firing any extra guns
- Plasmarifle being silent when only carrying one
- Rare rocket launcher crashes
- Engine losing track of player after changing a level
- Improved barrel throwing priority through kinisis ping

Additions:
- XDeath sprites for most non XDeath-able monsters
- Rocket reload grenade.
  - Press Reload to smash the rocket and lob it as a grenade.
  - Projectile will adjust it's trajectory on bounce and seek the closest enemy to it's best ability.
  - Explosions and speed are always consistent.
- Mega Punch returns! Functions as a default melee attack.
- Even more pokemon moves! Every 10 percent anger you gain (7 candy bars) will cause an enemy to drop a TM in order of their slot number.
- Thunderbolt. Occupies slot 3.
  - Dropped by enemy at 30% anger.
  - Charge up and explosively electric attack.
  - Range, strength, and damage increase with anger.
  - Costs 15% anger to use, but not required.
- Psychic. Occupies slot 4.
  - Dropped by enemy at 40% anger.
  - A moderately high damaging psychic projectile.
  - Increases in fire speed the higher rage is.
  - Each projectile costs 0.5% to use, but is not required.
- Icy Wind. Occupies slot 5.
  - Dropped by enemy at 50 percent anger.
  - A short range, piercing, light damaging attack that is rapid fire.
  - As rage increases, it will spawn more projectiles and increase in travel speed.
  - Each projectile costs 1% to use, but is not required.
- Will-O-Wisp. Occupies slot 6
  - Dropped by enemy at 60 percent anger
  - Summons a spiraling ring of fire around the player.
  - As rage increases, more flame projectiles will be spawned and can be fired at a faster rate.
  - Each "set" of projectiles summoned costs 1% anger.
  - Projectiles use the "Fire" damage type.
- Nailgun. Occupies slot 4.
  - Nails are more sadistic compared to bullets if you ask me.
  - Rapid fire.
  - Projectiles penetrate through enemies.
  - Anger increases damage projectiles perform.
- PSY-BP12. Occupies slot 7.
  - A staple of the PSY-SWAT Special Ops team, standing for Psychic Bullet Punch, owing it's name to the fact that psychic types cannot learn that move.
  - This shotgun takes any 12 guage ammunition and psionically charges the shells into highly lethal slugs that can auto-target towards enemies that are perceived
    as threats by the wielder, assuming the wielder's psychic abilities are strong enough. Very few pokemon are naturally able to take full advantage of this gun, and
    only a handful of humans have mastered the weapon after decades of training.
  - Fires two psionically charged slugs.
  - The projectiles do not discriminate between friend or foe when moving towards their next target, one must exercise caution and be aware of any potential friendly fire
    to themselves or allied bodies.
  - As anger increases, the slugs will auto-target more enemies for every 10% anger.

How about other pokemon class? Like Walpurgis.

Gardevoir the Vengeful Cenobite.(Default)

Grimmsnarl the Hairbringer of Doom.

Hatterene the Heretic.

Male Indeedee the Soul Harvester.(Because Male Indeedee looks like Harvester from Doom 2016.)

I played through this on Ultimate Doom today. I like this gameplay mod, but there are a few quirks I'd like to point out. I really like how the anger system encourages you to be more aggressive and play faster. There's one minor issue I have though. Gardevoir's hand is slightly to the right of where the weapons fire. This seems to be a byproduct of replacing doomguy's hand with the custom animations of Gardevoir. It's not a very big issue though, and you get used to it pretty quickly. You might also want to consider adding an option to reduce Gardevoir's health, 350 makes Doom very easy.

Edit: Also tested on Doom 2.

Edited by Cdijk21

Tried this out today, and I love it. Well done with all of it. The custom sounds and animations really make it stand out as well. A fun mod to play, and you could probably play this on megawads that put you through the gantlet(Which is probably what I would consider the preferred way of playing it, considering that it looks like you used Nuts.wad, or something similar to that wad to demonstrate some of his abilities.)

Gardevoir is hot and all, but now starting to get scared of what her psychic abilities could "really" do if she they hot pissed (cool mod btw, played it with lullaby)

This is a fun mod. Just remember the Pokedex entries:

> To protect its Trainer, it will expend all its psychic power to create a small black hole.

> It has the power to predict the future. Its power peaks when it is protecting its Trainer.

> Gardevoir has the ability to read the future. If it senses impending danger to its Trainer, this Pokémon is said to unleash its psychokinetic energy at full power.

> Gardevoir has the psychokinetic power to distort the dimensions and create a small black hole. This Pokémon will try to protect its Trainer even at the risk of its own life.

Really checks out. She just snapped.

Meant to be played in widescreen with low UI scale, I take it?

Spoiler

Fri Jun  9 07:39:03 AM UTC 2023.png

Edit: It works okay with the "Resolution scale" set to "Lowest possible scale" or "Normal", but not values like 320*200. I had this option as a non-default since ZDoom's menus are kind of just way too small otherwise. Would probably have run into this issue with a couple of other gameplay mods.

19 minutes ago, houston said:

Meant to be played in widescreen with low UI scale, I take it?

There's a dedicated hud scaling option under GHAG Settings that won't interfere with your GZDoom settings. You'll need to turn on the expanded settings in GZDoom to see it.