Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arbys550

Inconsistent Boom/GZDoom Voodoo Closet Behavior

Question

I've read that for the action 253 floor scroller in Boom, giving the linedef a length of 32 units should result in the same speed in both Boom and GZDoom, yet in a map I am working on the speeds aren't the same. This causes multiple cool mechanisms to be unusable by any GZDoom players. Is this value still the same between both compatibilities? I'd hate to force my WAD to be Boom only just because one puzzle doesn't work.

And a follow up, is there any other reason a complex voodoo closet system would work in DSDADoom and PrBoom, but not GZDoom?

Edited by Arbys550

5 answers to this question

DEAR LORD nevermind. I'm just a fucking idiot. Turns out one of my fixes did work, I just loaded the entire WAD when I tested the fix and not the single map WAD I was editing.

In boom, if a voodoo doll touches several scrolling floors simultaneously then their speed will add up and it'll scroll faster. This is not the case for gzdoom iirc and this leads to the inconsistency between the ports.  

On 3/8/2022 at 2:16 AM, El Inferno said:

In boom, if a voodoo doll touches several scrolling floors simultaneously then their speed will add up and it'll scroll faster. This is not the case for gzdoom iirc and this leads to the inconsistency between the ports.  

I've fixed the scroll speeds like you said, but GZDoom is still insanely, slow, almost half as slow. I double checked and there's only one line transferring the scroll speed. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I've discovered that the scroll speed isn't what's causing the problem.

Edited by Arbys550

Alright, here's the follow-up issue. Let's see if anyone can even help me here.

Here's an example of a closet in question:
Explanation1.jpg

In GZDoom:

The square on the left is a little ledge that lowers to allow the Voodoo Doll past. The square on the right is a control sector whose ceiling lowers to "disable" or raises to "enable" the closet. However, for whatever reason, lowering the ceiling of the square on the right pushes the voodoo doll up into the air and forward on top of the left little ledge, lodging the voodoo doll into the ceiling. This is also accompanied by a constant "brrrr" sound that indicates the ceiling of the right square is trying to lower over and over again, but can't. Here's a screenshot:

Explanation2.png

This is a shot in the dark but I've tried many things and haven't gotten anywhere. Anyone have a solution?

I can always implement GZDoom-only doors to allow GZDoom players past, but that would be a huge disappointment because this is a really cool puzzle.

I don't understand what the problem there is, but if you want an enable/disable type of check that doesn't do any funky shit: doomguy is 56mu "tall, so you can just block his movement along the conveyor with a ceiling piece lowered to a relative height of 55mu... that one may require a control sector, assuming it needs to be on and off several times over the course of a map, and not just once, but it's for sure gonna be less jank than your funny bamboo-pole business there...

There is probably also something to be said about the floors of your pillars there, and how they probably aren't scrolling, meaning they might mess with speed between ports... If you used a ceiling based blocker, you could just lower those non-scrolling floors so far that the doll wouldn't ever even make contact with those, therefore rendering their potential influence on what's going on in the conveyor null and void...

Also you don't need the "brick stone frame" around the conveyor, so I'd just remove that one entirely...