Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
limpbizkitfannickelbackfan

IS THIS METAL SONG ABOUT DEXTER?

Okay, I found a metal song and I think the lyrics are about Dexter
(or as the book was called, Darkly Dreaming Dexter).

Here is my interpretation,

"All the time, I just feel so helpless

Feel so all alone"

This refers to how throughout the series, Dexter is helpless against his Dark Passenger (his urge to kill), and he is all alone in the sense that nobody knows him, nobody knows what he really is, the only one who does is his dead adoptive father Harry, who he sees visions of. Everyone throughout the series who gets to know who he is ends up dying for it (Brian Moser, James Doakes, Maria LaGuerta, Lila West, Miguel Prado, Debra Morgan, Evelyn Vogel, Zach Hamilton, everyone except Hanna McKay dies due to finding Dexter's secret).

"And every night,

I sense myself slipping away from what I know"

This refers to how Dexter is constantly having an inner battle with his two personalities, his two lives, and whether or not he is right or wrong. He always thought his "cover life" was nothing more than exactly that, but as he starts to truly love and care about those in it, he realizes how real it is, and when he finds things out about Harry that he never knew growing up, that can change his perception of him, it messes with him, even in the first season alone, finding those memories that were locked away of his mother being murdered, and realizing he has a brother, then finding out it was THE ICE TRUCK KILLER, it seems like his whole life is him going back and forth between what he knows, realizes what he really does and doesn't know, then having it all twisted around again. Another great example of this is the last season, when Dr. Evelyn Vogel shows up into Dexter's life and reveals that Harry's code was not Harry's code. Realizing that all this time, someone else knew. That's gotta be a real mindfuck.

"Yeaheah!"

Yeaheah!

"All this time, we wait for nothing

All these tears we cried, in vain"

This is about how throughout the series, we all wait to see how Dexter will finally get his life on track after all the times he fucks it up and throws everything off track, and it's all for nothing to see at the end of the first show, he has to fake his own death just to be rid of the problems, and he loses that happy ending we all wanted to see him get. The part talking about tears being cried in vain refers to how all the emotions of people surrounding Dexter, his friends and family, and the people that die around him, are all for nothing. They fail to see what is right in front of them, and what could bring an end to this curse that was brought upon them all.

"At least I tried to save us...

At least I tried to save us!

At least I killed myself to save you"

This refers to the ending, when he tried to save Harrison and Hannah from the fate they would see should Dexter and them all stay in Miami, so he tried to get them to go off and make a new life together, but Dexter realizes that no matter what he does, his life is a curse on all those around him, and the last thing he could do was let Harrison live the life he would live finding out his father is a serial killer, so he fakes his own death to save Harrison from the fate he could've had.

"All this time we wait for nothing,

And in the end, it's still the same"

I am not 100% sure that those are the lyrics here but that's what I hear so let's pretend that's what he says.

I think this refers to not only Dexter himself but all the killers in the series who are like him. They're all enslaved to their Dark Passengers and their needs to kill, to the point where no matter how nice their "cover life" is, they all still need to kill...especially Dexter. At the end they're still killers.

"All this time, wasted dreaming of

What never could've been"

This refers to Dexter wishing he could for once be normal, wishing he wasn't the way he was, wishing he could finally be happy and not need a "code" to live by or have a Dark Passenger, but once he witnessed his mother being dismembered as a child, there was no chance of this. It's all something that never could've happened.

"All I do, becomes you

Won't you kill me?

Won't you kill me now?"

This part refers to how Dexter's actions and the consequences surrounding it make him start to become one with his Dark Passenger, as time goes on he becomes more and more evil and more and more angry to the point where he even begins to become like his brother, Brian Moser. He just wants to lose that part of him that he can't lose. He fakes his death at the end of the show, so the "Won't you kill me now?" part refers to him just wanting Dexter Morgan to be dead, so he can live a different life away from that, and leave the Bay Harbor Butcher far behind.

As for the title, "The Art Of Suffering",

well, Dexter takes pride in what he does

to the point where it seems artistic almost.

Well, actually, his brother was the real artist, but you know.

Even the band name fits,

"Pile Of Heads",

like Dexter dumping the dismembered body parts in the ocean

you go down and you would see a Pile Of Heads among other things

But what do you think?

Well, if i wanted to watch Dexter, i am probably spoiled now.

As for the question:

Is this metal song about Dexter?

No, it isn't. Its a metal song with lyrics that may fit Dexter, but may fit other things too.

If i listen to Nick Drake - Fruit Tree, does that also fit Isaac Newton's theory about gravity having the apple fallen from a fruit tree?

2 hours ago, limpbizkitfannickelbackfan said:

no
that song is about fame

Okay, well this song isnt about Dexter.

21 hours ago, limpbizkitfannickelbackfan said:

But what do you think?

May 5th, 2004: The first book in the Dexter series is released.

November(?) 2004: The Art of Suffering is released.

October 1st, 2006: The first season of the TV adaptation premieres as a loose adaptation of the first book.

June 30th, 2013: The series finale airs.

So I mean... If they can travel through time, then sure.

20 hours ago, JustCallMeKaito said:

May 5th, 2004: The first book in the Dexter series is released.

November(?) 2004: The Art of Suffering is released.

October 1st, 2006: The first season of the TV adaptation premieres as a loose adaptation of the first book.

June 30th, 2013: The series finale airs.

So I mean...If they can travel through time, then sure.

You have got a real good point here. You have convinced me that this song is indeed NOT about Dexter.

lmao this is about to become the most annoying copypasta too annoy my friends with