Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RED77

FLYTRAP LAB (single map for DOOM II)

Hello guys. 

I'm back with a new map.

This time a Tech base. why? Because I've decided to dedicate this one to my wife  Magui who is a biologist. So a Lab-like tech base sounded like the way to go.

For this map, I've included new textures and a lot of coding. 

I've learned some Sound sequence stuff and For the first time I've decided to make my own MIDI for the music (I'm not a great musician, Don't go berserk on me :D)

The level is tested and meant to be played on GZDoom 4.7.0 (no glitches as far as I know, but let me know if you find anything)

I've tested it also on Skulltag but results in several glitches (it's playable but annoying)

So, without further ado:

Download link:

05_FLYTRAP_LAB.RAR

Technical information:

Name: FLYTRAP_LAB.WAD

Map Format: UDMF.

Ports Tested: GZDoom 4.7.0

IWAD: DOOM II

Map: 01

Music: No name (my first MIDI)

Gameplay: Single play.

Difficulty Settings: 

1/2:   55 monsters

HMP:  73 monsters

UV:     90 monsters

Multiplayer Placement: No.

Build Time: 2 weeks.

Requirements: No Jumping, No crouching, freelook is OK

Screenshots:

Spoiler

05_FLYTRAP_LAB.jpg.7c86da740efbec9e7188d892fbd46143.jpg

Walkthrough:

Spoiler

Thanks once again to everyone and I'll wait for your feedback!

Have a nice day.

Fun little map!! I enjoyed the detailing you put around it, and the way the keyed doors work was a neat little gimmick. I recorded a video of my playthrough, just gotta edit that up a bit. Nice work!

15 minutes ago, Athel said:

Fun little map!! I enjoyed the detailing you put around it, and the way the keyed doors work was a neat little gimmick. I recorded a video of my playthrough, just gotta edit that up a bit. Nice work!

Glad you like it!

I can't stress enough how much of a headache that doors gave me till I made it work. But that's part of learning.

I'll be looking forward to the video!

Thank you so much for playing

Tested it in UV.

Holy hell, man, you're improving too fast!

The attention to detail here is amazing, the thing that I loved the most is probably the carpet (they're just simple tiny drawn sectors with a different texture, but they add really a lot to the scenery there! I wish I have the patience to add these kind of stuff in my maps).

I really have nothing to add to the aesthetic of this map, you made a wonderful job, the only things are about the sky, that to me it looks a bit too "peaceful" x), and the key switch texture, that looks quite too "clean" to fit in Doom rough textures.

I'd really love to see this map with dynamic lights or different color lights if one day you'll decide to take that path :D

Gameplay thoughts: I surprisingly found it easier than I thought (having played your other map with the spider-freak), but it was fun to play.

Maybe a bit too supershotgun based, since I basically used only that (cause I couldn't figure out the rocket launcher secret, until I've opened the map in the editor... dumb me), a part from when I run out of ammo after the blue door, so an advice could be to add some fights where at least the chaingun would be essential (far away dudes that cannot walk their way to you or situations where the slowness of the supershotgun would kill you).

I loved the "key checkers", they add more life to a tech base, as well as I loved the first (that I found) secret, the blue armor one: I was feeling like I was "glitching" true the map when I found a switch! That's a great way to make a secret.

Last advice could be to make some of the doors to be openable by monsters, otherwise the player can just use those doors to take care of everything with little effort.

I found a couple of oversights:

• You forgot the texture on the door side here
    Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220308_201236.png.940655e85b9e1d6c14eea606b8e5aed4.png

• You forgot to remove the shadows (and light) on the ceiling
    Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220308_202227.png.1e42242189d7e5d9ad8e3bae1367308f.png

• And to hide the skybox from the map
    Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220308_202345.png.5374b9d47aafd841df5b55f51695c71b.png

I can't wait to see what you can create next :D

1 hour ago, Kan3 said:

Tested it in UV.

Holy hell, man, you're improving too fast!

The attention to detail here is amazing, the thing that I loved the most is probably the carpet (they're just simple tiny drawn sectors with a different texture, but they add really a lot to the scenery there! I wish I have the patience to add these kind of stuff in my maps).

I really have nothing to add to the aesthetic of this map, you made a wonderful job, the only things are about the sky, that to me it looks a bit too "peaceful" x), and the key switch texture, that looks quite too "clean" to fit in Doom rough textures.

I'd really love to see this map with dynamic lights or different color lights if one day you'll decide to take that path :D

Gameplay thoughts: I surprisingly found it easier than I thought (having played your other map with the spider-freak), but it was fun to play.

Maybe a bit too supershotgun based, since I basically used only that (cause I couldn't figure out the rocket launcher secret, until I've opened the map in the editor... dumb me), a part from when I run out of ammo after the blue door, so an advice could be to add some fights where at least the chaingun would be essential (far away dudes that cannot walk their way to you or situations where the slowness of the supershotgun would kill you).

I loved the "key checkers", they add more life to a tech base, as well as I loved the first (that I found) secret, the blue armor one: I was feeling like I was "glitching" true the map when I found a switch! That's a great way to make a secret.

Last advice could be to make some of the doors to be openable by monsters, otherwise the player can just use those doors to take care of everything with little effort.

I found a couple of oversights:

• You forgot the texture on the door side here
      Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220308_201236.png.940655e85b9e1d6c14eea606b8e5aed4.png

• You forgot to remove the shadows (and light) on the ceiling
      Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220308_202227.png.1e42242189d7e5d9ad8e3bae1367308f.png

• And to hide the skybox from the map
      Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220308_202345.png.5374b9d47aafd841df5b55f51695c71b.png

I can't wait to see what you can create next :D

Thank you so much for all the feedback. 

I'm trying to better my light game but it's the thing I'm struggling with the most.

I'll make the corrections for the errors you noticed.

I didn't notice the door one. As for the other two, I didn't know it was possible to turn it off. I'll research further.

Thank you so much once again!

2 hours ago, Degree23 said:

Ok I don't really have anything to say except that was great fun to play through.

Thank you so much!

Video is processing. Cool map

Spoiler

So that tiny button completely eluded me sorry about the library scene. I didn't think to investigate er because I humped that book shelf so many times without seeing the button but not clicking on the teeny tiny area

45 minutes ago, Clippy said:

Video is processing. Cool map

Reveal hidden contents

So that tiny button completely eluded me sorry about the library scene. I didn't think to investigate er because I humped that book shelf so many times without seeing the button but not clicking on the teeny tiny area

Hey Man!

Thank you so much for playing. I think you are right about the library switch. Maybe if I made it bigger or something.

This is your best work yet, Red. I'm thoroughly impressed with the design, layout, combat scenarios, texture work and oodles of DoomCute! Terrific little map, mate.

9 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

This is your best work yet, Red. I'm thoroughly impressed with the design, layout, combat scenarios, texture work and oodles of DoomCute! Terrific little map, mate.

So glad you like it! 

About the door texture, yes I've made it.

I try to add new textures for every map.