Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

ZDoom - Boom Format - possible to cause a trigger after monster is killed?

Question

Hi all,

I'm working in my typical way, on a ZDoom map, but in BOOM format. I'm wondering if there's any tricky way to make a map action like a floor raising or door opening after a particular monster is killed. Can this be done with DECORATE or something else despite the fact that I'm using BOOM format? Note that I'm not using GZDoom so ZScript is sadly not an option.

8 answers to this question

The best tool in the box is probably MAPINFO's SpecialAction field. It'll execute the action when all monsters of a given type are dead, which might already be what you're looking for, but if you need it to be something more specific (e.g. one particular cyberdemon, instead of every cyb in the map), you can make a new monster in DECORATE that inherits from an existing one and reference that instead (e.g. "Actor SuperSpecialCyberdemon : Cyberdemon {}" then point SpecialAction at SuperSpecialCyberdemon).

You'll also want to make sure whatever monster you use it on has A_BossDeath in its Death state somewhere, else it won't work. Just some necessary housekeeping.

If you are working in boom, what you would have to do is make a dehacked file that gives one or more monsters the "keendie" action in their death state. Once every monster on the map of that type is dead, all 667 (or 666 I can't remember) tagged sectors will open like a door. Use that in combination with a voodoo doll/conveyor belt to trigger whatever it is you want to trigger.

But from the sounds of it you are already using zdoom so why not just use decorate or acs?

12 minutes ago, Btyb88 said:

If you are working in boom, what you would have to do is make a dehacked file that gives one or more monsters the "keendie" action in their death state. Once every monster on the map of that type is dead, all 667 (or 666 I can't remember) tagged sectors will open like a door. Use that in combination with a voodoo doll/conveyor belt to trigger whatever it is you want to trigger.

But from the sounds of it you are already using zdoom so why not just use decorate or acs?

It is tag 666. You can replace the Fall codepointer with KeenDie since the latter calls the former internally.

10 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

It is tag 666. You can replace the Fall codepointer with KeenDie since the latter calls the former internally.

Huh, never thought about that. I always just tacked it on the the end.

Why Boom format and not ZDoom in Doom format?

ZDoom in Doom format still has all the classic line specials and sector specials from vanilla under the same exact numbers.

Anyways, in ZMAPINFO, you can add the SpecialAction property to your map definition. You can define the enemy type, and define the action that will be called after all the enemies of the type you've specified have died.

If you're aiming for Zdoom you may as well just throw a ACS script in the level, since your decorate etc will be broken on any sourceports that don't support the script anyway.

#Include "ZCommon.acs"

script 1 OPEN {
    while (ThingCountName("enemy name", 0) > 0)
    {
        delay(35);
    }

Floor_LowerToLowest(666, 8);
}

Is a starting point. Adapt it to whatever you need triggering as needed.