Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StarSpun5000

What is that one Doom level that you love but everyone else hates.

Perfect Hatred. Then again, I'm probably biased since I think the bible verse titles sound pretty metal XD.

Although, I do hope that there are people who enjoy it as much as I do out there.

Said it before, say it again : The Chasm. 
Level that actually tries to bring something new in the roster. 

I love E2M3: Refinery, E2M7: Spawning Vats, E3M3: Pandemonium and MAP10: Refueling Base. I like the way the layout is constructed, the huge & less detailed halls, and the optional/secret areas. If this means I am a Tom Hall fanboy, so be it.

slough of despair and downtown are just bonkers. hectic in doom 64. fuck hectic. it's beautiful

Aside from a couple that have already come up (The Pit, The Chasm, IoS), another couple that I really enjoy but don't see getting a lot of praise: Monster Condo and The Spirit World, especially Monster Condo. The run from maps 27-30 is such a trip.

I always liked E3M4: House of Pain, but see plenty of dislike for that one.

Blazing through in God Mode as a kid, the hallways of hanging corpses in that really stuck with me. It was disturbing, but had atmosphere in spades.

I'm another Barrels' o' Fun fan, as well. Always like a bit of a creative approach. Starting you off with a scramble to escape the barrelocalypse is a great touch.

The last two E4 Romero maps, E4M2 & E4M6 (before his 2016 return in Doom mapping scene) people hate a lot but for me, I love them because of the many strategies I discovered on how to beat them without any pain.

9 hours ago, esselfortium said:

The Pit. I love the weird dream-logic progression of it with entire walls opening up and inexplicable structures building themselves in the middle of rooms.

It's pretty cool, there's parts which annoy me a bit, but others which are nice.

I love the mean as hell trap in the side room, it has to be one of the cruelest ambushes in all of the official levels.

9 hours ago, SynDoom said:

I'm in love with Dead Zone, it's a nice abstract map to enjoy for me. TNT Midi pack helps add more atmosphere as well.

Dead Zone is the best official Map 15. Very dense.

8 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

+1 for The Chasm.

It's great. I love how vast it is, and all the little offshoot rooms it has to explore.

TNT MAP20, MAP21, MAP27, aka the massive Drake O maps that people say are overlong and boring but that I think are masterpieces of atmosphere and slow-burn exploration

I get what people dislike about these, but I personally really love them for the exact reason you say.

Special mention to Fortress of Mystery, a map I like so much I made a speedmap tribute to it. Yeah, it’s tiny and simple. So? I love the central gimmick, how weird and off color the whole experience is, even how there’s a completely pointless key anti-puzzle at the end. It’s Sandy farting around and telling a mini-story that’s fun to play and you don’t see that kind of freewheeling silliness in games much anymore.

The keys at the end have to be a stalling tactic, just a bunch of nonsense to waste your time so that you can't just flee to the exit so easily without dealing with the monsters somehow.

None of the maps in the last episode of Doom 2 are bad. They have a lot more going on than the earlier maps which is a lot of fun to explore. Yes that includes spirit's world. No idea why that map gets a ton of hate (beside if you can't figure out how to progress).

Still never going to agree that habitat is an acceptable map by fps standards even back then. It is like an intern map that was left in for padding. Good thing you can skip most of it without ever knowing anything exists in that map.

1 minute ago, Pegg said:

None of the maps in the last episode of Doom 2 are bad. They have a lot more going on than the earlier maps which is a lot of fun to explore. Yes that includes spirit's world. No idea why that map gets a ton of hate (beside if you can't figure out how to progress).

Still never going to agree that habitat is an acceptable map by fps standards even back then. It is like an intern map that was left in for padding. Good thing you can skip most of it without ever knowing anything exists in that map.

That gun-activated wall in spirit world had me looping around the map for ages 0_0

Just now, Sr_Ludicolo said:

That gun-activated wall in spirit world had me looping around the map for ages 0_0

Yeah that's why I wrote beside the progress nonsense near the exit haha. I've also seen people get stuck trying to figure out how to enter the master mind room. But they aren't weird puzzles with no way to figure em beside trial and error. If you already punch everything looking for secrets :P ( And I think most people trigger one of the walls by accident using SSG or Plasma, rip if you are using BFG or rockets).

Habitat. It's exactly what it's meant to be - one of those weirdass pseudo-Scientologist underground, self sustaining habitats from the 60s.

I don't sure about "TNT: Evilition", but seems like biggest part of Doom community just don't like it due to it's boringness.

Personally, i am really love MAP04: "WormHole". Still don't know which exact trigger opens an "original" exit and why pressing on button brings me back to my reality, but... Damn! That "generator" in basement and that "parallel" version of map... This is very atmospheric!

1 minute ago, RastaManGames said:

I don't sure about "TNT: Evilition", but seems like biggest part of Doom community just don't like it due to it's boringness.

Personally, i am really love MAP04: "WormHole". Still don't know which exact trigger opens an "original" exit and why pressing on button brings me back to my reality, but... Damn! That "generator" in basement and that "parallel" version of map... This is very atmospheric!

Wormhole really just fascinates me, because you can entirely miss what makes the map special. It's possible to beat the map in like 30 seconds if you aren't UVMAXing lol

Hell Beneath and Perfect Hatred are disliked? They're about the only levels in DOOM1 I really love, 5/5.

Barrels O' Fun are nothing but fun.

The Chasm is king.

Nirvana is a meh rush job, but not *that* horrible.

I wouldn't say "love" but I don't mind Fortress of Mystery, it was the first map that explored infighting as a gimmick so that's cool. Pretty sure everyone else hates it.

Unholy Cathedral and Fortress of Mystery. Very glad to see them getting some love here.

11 hours ago, erzboesewicht said:

- and Unholy Cathedral - imo one of the most truly "hellish" maps of Doom.

This exactly. It always felt like the hellish epicenter of evil in an episode that was otherwise kind of a weird cartoon (in a good way). I also found getting lost in such a place scary and fun instead of frustrating like many did.

I hate seeing Fortress of Mystery get dunked on. To anyone who struggled to beat the first Doom, a level where you're surrounded by strong enemies leaves an impression.

It also really exemplifies the abstract-ness I like in IWAD maps, as opposed to the brash ugliness of Doom 2 (with the exception of MAP28)

I like all of TNT except Habitat and Deepest Reaches, however Map 21 Administration Center is my third favorite map from the megawad after Map 09 Stronghold and Map 10 Redemption. I love the atmosphere of exploration and how it feels like you're wandering through an adabdoned office complex warped by hell's presence and how the final area has that tower in the background which i believe it's supposed to represent Map 29 starting area but most likely it has no relation, could be mistaken but i recall that seemingly unreachable tower could be a secret with a soulsphere. 

doom1's E2M2, E3M2, E3M3, and doom2's MAP18. i enjoy open maps that is fast and easy to complete but has alot of optional areas!

I’m of the crowd who enjoys 2’s Downtown, but I really like Plutonia’s 29th level: Odyssey of Noises. Plutonia’s Sewers, TNTs 20 and 21, some DW dudes @Stupid Bunny and @Lol 6already name dropped these, great to see.

Do we also know the name of Wormhole’s track? I love all three levels that use it, honestly.

Spoiler

I love Evilution the most!

2 minutes ago, BGrieber said:

Do we also know the name of Wormhole’s track? I love all three levels that use it, honestly.

It's called Death's Bells according to the DoomWiki. And true, the levels that use it are quite good

Obviously I like Mount Pain, but I've seen a fair amount of positivity for that map since I started looking for it. From each main game, here are the maps I've seen the least amount of support for that I genuinely like:

Doom E2M6 - Halls of the Damned

Doom 2 MAP 16 - Suburbs (Chasm being up there, but there are few moderate opinions of that map)

TNT MAP 20 - Central Processing

Plutonia MAP 28 - The Sewers

1 minute ago, MtPain27 said:

Obviously I like Mount Pain, but I've seen a fair amount of positivity for that map since I started looking for it. From each main game, here are the maps I've seen the least amount of support for that I genuinely like:

Doom 2 MAP 16 - Suburbs (Chasm being up there, but there are few moderate opinions of that map)

That's strange....I thought most people liked that map, despite it resembling actual suburbs in no way

12 minutes ago, DoomBoomer said:

Not just one. I HATE Doom 2's city maps! They are too confusing and ugly.

"What is that one Doom level that you love but everyone else hates"

Oops! My bad! I read the topic wrong! I don't know if anyone hates Doom 2's MAP 11: Circle of Death, but I really like it.

I was going to mention The Chasm as well but it’s pretty clear that it has a bit of a cult following. Probably more of a “marmite” level rather than one that everyone hates outright.