Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skronkidonk

Sudden Death - A Limit Removing Challenge Map!

Congrats on the release, gonna try it out in a bit.

Edited by Egg Boy

I got tired of getting my ass kicked by the six hundredth time so quitted after reaching the dark cavern area, playing with keyboard only was probably too masochistic and dumb but the right ammount of frustration and short bursts of good luck kept me going for a while as if i was enjoying getting pissed. 

Spoiler

DOOM0000.png.7db297fccdcfea303047eadd2bc4380f.png

DOOM0001.png.5edec2a9cb44faa2311f906c40d7917c.png

5 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

"Ballers know the deal when they see me in the place | Follow up, two-hand dunk, nuts in ya face" -viper

Congrats on the release, gonna try it out in a bit.

they wanna see me gone cuz of my hops

Great map I died a lot. Some notes:

A bit more blue armor throughout the map would be nice.

The fight in the cave area, caused a bit of frustration. You are constantly being blocked by enemies you can't see, spectres and flying enemies too high to be visible, while arch-viles zap you from behind a wall of monsters. Fewer flying enemies, and maybe switch some spectres to demons, I would like.

The jump to get out of the cave area is kind of awkward.

Sometimes, when you get teleported back to the main hub area, it's hard to tell where to go next. If I have to grind out a difficult or long fight, I'm gonna forget all about that branching path I saw earlier, far away from the hub.

The fight behind the first lava door was not very fun. All the enemies are above eyesight raining down hell, you can't even see the projectiles much less dodge them, and again more flying enemies making rockets dicey here. It would have been nice to have some armor for this one.

In the fight behind lava door #2 You can't see the cells in the closets because they are in complete darkness. This fight would have been much faster and easier if I had known there were more cells.

More cells at the end of the map would be nice I want to just spam BFG.

Having to carefully rocket Romero at the end was tedious I just want to exit not take three slow elevator rides.

When you kill Romero it's VERY LOUD.

I recorded my playthrough, but it got a copyright claim due to the music. I'll see what I can do, maybe upload it w/o audio.

Pretty cool map inspired by nochance and the like. I usually don't like map with hotstarts but it was pretty manageable to get to your weapons and armor so I didn't have any issues there.

Spoiler

The most difficult fights have to be the one where you drop down in the grey building, the one that gives you a plasma gun and then the next one that gives you the blue armor, mostly because they are extremely close quarters and claustrophobic. I couldn't figure out a strategy in the blue armor fight and I got so frustrated and drained in that section that I had to use midsaves. My favorite fights have to be the one that gives you the bfg and the last fight.

I would probably add a couple of green armors in some parts (though considering it is a challenge map I understand why there is only one), and would get rid of some cells on the sides of the bfg room because then you are always stacked with cells as long as you backtrack to that area.

My only complaint is that the romero head being difficult to hit feels really unnecessary considering what you've been through, and that the map feels kind of over after the blue armor room because the fights after that don't feel as difficult (except the close quarters cybers at the end), though they were still really fun.

Spoiler

image.png.108a182bb48c958cc25607e877cdcf26.png

Does this do anything? I shot it but nothing seemed to happen so I assume it is a visual bug or something.

Overall pretty challenging map, can't wait to see your next project!

21 minutes ago, Blip said:

Does this do anything? I shot it but nothing seemed to happen so I assume it is a visual bug or something.

This opens up another wall you can shoot, but its gonna be pretty hard to find that.
It just opens up a fun little easter egg which can be seen in the automap =)

Thank you all for your feedback!

Found this after I just happened to notice you add it to your DoomWiki page, played it because of the No Chance (and presumably the hell episode of Scythe) inspiration. Very fun primarily rocket-based map, imo. I adore hell aesthetic slaughter, and this would be a good addition to any fan's wad collection. :)

Would love to see an eventual idgames upload, potentially with some tweaks that Scrappy mentioned... particularly a revision to the Romero head ending, a bit more armor, and making some of the fights at bit less "oh shit i got stuck on a flyer i couldn't see"-prone. Would be a shame if such a neat tribute was forever buried in WADs & Mods.

1 hour ago, Maribo said:

Found this after I just happened to notice you add it to your DoomWiki page, played it because of the No Chance (and presumably the hell episode of Scythe) inspiration. Very fun primarily rocket-based map, imo. I adore hell aesthetic slaughter, and this would be a good addition to any fan's wad collection. :)

Would love to see an eventual idgames upload, potentially with some tweaks that Scrappy mentioned... particularly a revision to the Romero head ending, a bit more armor, and making some of the fights at bit less "oh shit i got stuck on a flyer i couldn't see"-prone. Would be a shame if such a neat tribute was forever buried in WADs & Mods.

Thanks for checking it out Maribo and your kind words! I've never thought about uploading it to Idgames but I think its a good idea so more people can see it. I have been thinking about this map recently and have started to come up with some ideas to change up the final fight.