Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid Airbag

I need some testers

I've finished five levels of DOM episode one, and I'd really like people to test them thoroughly and report on any bugs they might find. I'd especially like feedback on the difficulty/gameplay aspects.

Most of these levels, with the exception of E1M4, are among the very first levels I've done. In fact, E1M3, E1M9, and E1M8 are the second, third, and fourth levels, respectively, that I've ever made. So I know there are bound to be texture misalignments and the like, and probably lack of detail in some places. But I'm especially interested to know how they play out, mainly on E1M4 since I spent all of five minutes doing monster/item/ammo placement.

The completed levels are E1M3, E1M4, E1M6, E1M8, and E1M9. E1M3 is possible from a pistol start, as I've released the level individually before. I'm planning on making a nasty firefight at the end of E1M2 that depletes most of your ammo anyway. Since just about the entire populace of E1M3 are zombies of some type, you should have more ammo than you know what to do with when you end the level. Therefore, both the secret level and E1M4 have mainly enemies that don't drop ammo when they die, meant for lessening the cache you've built up. I'm planning on another big fight at the end of E1M5 to get rid of whatever you've got left, then E1M6 will be mainly a melee level, with strategic use of the chainsaw advised (I've released that level individually before, too, so some of you may have played it before).

If you're still interested, leave your e-mail address and I'll send you the wad, but be warned that the zip is a few megs.

Also, it'd be very wonderful if anyone can figure out what the fuck is with the building at the very beginning of E1M1 (the beginning of that level is included in the wad, but there's nothing worth looking at there except the messed up building).

BlueSonnet said:

Me too!

tstuke@hotmail.com

btw: no spam please.

I tried sending it to you, but apparently hotmail has a size limit. If you've got a different address, then tell me.

Everyone else should have it now.

Okie, first report from the field.

Well, I will skip E1M1 as it's obviously not finished (you could at least have make sure that you covered all the walls in textures). Well, there is a little side note: That fence texture is awesome.

E1M3. I have played this map some time ago and I see that you have removed that annoying anomalous obstacle in the elevator. And it plays like a dream. The things you are trying to emulate (living quarters, rec rooms) really looks the deal. Gameplay is nice and easy and all secrets are hinted at. I love the way that the secret exit route takes you through a lot of areas you been in or seen before. One little criticism. I think that you should make the switch to the secret exit door (the one in the subway tunnel) have a regular switch texture, since you cannot hear whether you have activated the computer or not as the door is too far away to make any sound.

E1M4. Silent teleporter galore! If you do this level on a pistol start ammo shortage will become an annoyance. There are lot of pink demons and tight places where you can't dodge past them so a lot of tedious non-berserk punching demons is required. Not so difficult, but very boring. And that is about the only bad thing I have to say about that.
Weird note: The demons on the roof of the comm building constantly flashes in and out of existence. It seems like a cool effect, but what causes it?

E1M6. Hey, wasn't this part of the Freedoom project. Well, I've already tried and liked it. The most "normal" doom level in the pack, though it still have the characteristic "the route ahead is not the obvious" Archvile46 touch.

E1M8. Again the problem is a lot of initial pink demons without any ammo to deal with them. I cheated me a berserk pack to wipe them out. It really has the regal majesty that suits suits an E1M8 level (or any other M8's for that matter).

E1M9. While this is fully playable it looks like it is not yet fully finished. Too short and straightforward for that. It suffers from the same flaw as E1M4 and E1M8. You have to face a multitude of pink demons with little more than your bare unaugmented fists. This time in a narrow long tunnel. Boring! Otherwise it's nice and sweet.

I always thought e-mail relocation would be a good idea, and i do not wish to recieve archvile46's maps bit by bit.

Any suggestions on where to go for a new address guys?

Thanks for the responses.

Little Faith said:

Okie, first report from the field.

Well, I will skip E1M1 as it's obviously not finished (you could at least have make sure that you covered all the walls in textures). Well, there is a little side note: That fence texture is awesome.

They do have textures. Read this thread, and see if you have any idea what's going on.

E1M3. I have played this map some time ago and I see that you have removed that annoying anomalous obstacle in the elevator.

Yeah, that elevator thing was a nodes problem, since WA's internal nodesbuilder is shitty. Once I got BSP, that problem was quickly solved.

And it plays like a dream. The things you are trying to emulate (living quarters, rec rooms) really looks the deal. Gameplay is nice and easy and all secrets are hinted at. I love the way that the secret exit route takes you through a lot of areas you been in or seen before. One little criticism. I think that you should make the switch to the secret exit door (the one in the subway tunnel) have a regular switch texture, since you cannot hear whether you have activated the computer or not as the door is too far away to make any sound.

Hmm, I never really thought of that...I thought people would find the rad suit and see the gap in the railing and put 2 and 2 together and explore the rail tunnel.

E1M4. Silent teleporter galore!

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

When I first started this level, I had just discovered that trick and I went a little crazy with it =). I think it makes for a nice effect, making it seem like an actual multi-floor building without any of that 3d floor stuff that I have no idea how to do.

If you do this level on a pistol start ammo shortage will become an annoyance. There are lot of pink demons and tight places where you can't dodge past them so a lot of tedious non-berserk punching demons is required. Not so difficult, but very boring. And that is about the only bad thing I have to say about that.
Weird note: The demons on the roof of the comm building constantly flashes in and out of existence. It seems like a cool effect, but what causes it?

Uhhh....they're not supposed to. You mean after they pop out of the ground when you grab the key? It might have something to do with the fact that there's that huge open area around. I haven't seen that bug yet, though. Out of curiosity, what port did you play it with?

E1M6. Hey, wasn't this part of the Freedoom project. Well, I've already tried and liked it. The most "normal" doom level in the pack, though it still have the characteristic "the route ahead is not the obvious" Archvile46 touch.

I thought it was weird how different it looked without the Freedoom textures in it. In any case, I just used this in case the Freedoom project never gets released, and because I originally had a sewer planned for E1M5 and a power plant planned for E1M6, and decided to put those together since neither was going to be very large, and just decided to merge them together and have more of a retro level for E1M6.

E1M8. Again the problem is a lot of initial pink demons without any ammo to deal with them. I cheated me a berserk pack to wipe them out. It really has the regal majesty that suits suits an E1M8 level (or any other M8's for that matter).

Heh, that regal majesty comment made me remember that this map had also originally come from something I had drawn. I used to draw maps all the time, and now that I'm finally mapping, I've been using some of the better ideas from earlier drawn stuff.

E1M9. While this is fully playable it looks like it is not yet fully finished. Too short and straightforward for that. It suffers from the same flaw as E1M4 and E1M8. You have to face a multitude of pink demons with little more than your bare unaugmented fists. This time in a narrow long tunnel. Boring! Otherwise it's nice and sweet.

Yeah, I definitely have my doubts about this level being finished. I got that much done, but couldn't think of anything else that I could add that wouldn't be too repetitive. Then I thought the hell with it, it's a secret level and it's only real purpose in the game is to give you the rocket launcher and a bunch of ammo. But I still may go back and do something with it if I can.

And finally, about your main gripe: too many demons, not enough ammo.

It seems you played each of these levels from a pistol start, but that's really not what they were designed for. In the final episode, you shouldn't have much ammo at the end of E1M2 because there's going to be a big fight and that will deplete a lot of whatever you have. Then, in E1M3, as you know, there's ammo galore. E1M9 will sort of even out, lots of demons and stuff, but a good amount of ammo, plus the RL. Then, in E1M4, you'll have to use just about everything you've got. Since you won't have much left at the end of it, I had E1M5 being more of a dark, spooky level, without a whole lot of monsters, and the ones there are would mostly be in traps of some sort. I'm thinking of another "lights out" trap like the on in E1M4, but this time it would affect the entire level. E1M6, is mainly a melee level as you know, and then E1M7 will be a mix between a much, much better version of my first ever map, AV46sp01, and a section of the Memento Mori story I wrote. By the time you get to E1M8, you should have quite enough to deal with the demons and barons.

So if you want to, try playing the levels straight through (start with E1M2 if you want, and just play through the original levels that are still there) and see if that makes things better.

Once again, thanks for the response.

Archvile46 said:

Thanks for the responses.
Hmm, I never really thought of that...I thought people would find the rad suit and see the gap in the railing and put 2 and 2 together and explore the rail tunnel.

Its not that which is the problem. I could easily put 2 and 2 together as you say, but I forgot pressing the computer opening the door. That one is not obvious.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

That depends on how it's used. In this case it is really used well. Reminds me of Crabbet.wad

Uhhh....they're not supposed to. You mean after they pop out of the ground when you grab the key? It might have something to do with the fact that there's that huge open area around. I haven't seen that bug yet, though. Out of curiosity, what port did you play it with?

Zdoom. The latest beta.
The effect is kinda cool. This was one of the funnier battles i had while reduced to non-berserked fists. These couple of demons who just constantly dissapears to reappear somewhere else while imps are throwing fireball from the observatory building.