Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sitrofan

My first finished map

Hi everyone, as you can see from the title I've finally completed making my first map. It's for vanilla Doom 2. Here are some screenshots of it:Screenshot_Doom_20220314_025505.png.b90f67c321af12af435d21f001b2f07d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220314_031644.png.3d3ec9afa3284ec4ce6d12def17ebbe6.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220314_041035.png.eee84555aafb575ff686f443caa097e3.png

So, I'd really like to hear your opinions about my map

Edit: I've made some adjustments to the map, and hopefully the soulsphere secret is now much more obvious

teksewer.zip

Edited by sitrofan : updated version

Thanks! Feels unusual to watch somebody playing my map for the first time, considering how many times I've done it myself already. I thought it would turn out to be a bit more difficult in some places, but overall I'm happy with it

Very nicely done, fam. This is a terrific first map. Everything is solid from the combat, the layout, the progression, it all comes together very smooth in a nice classic feeling dance with the demons. This is the kind of first map release I like to see. Great stuff!

Thanks for the comments everyone. Now, If I'll want to release an updated version, what would be the best way to do it?

Just write a comment so all can see you have a new version, and update your OP

FDA, cl 2

Good map! It captures the classic 1993 Romero-esque techbase quite well, and the combat-exploration loop feels appropriate for that era too. The biggest issues I had with it involved backtracking to key doors; otherwise there's a healthy amount of interconnections for the layout. Wish I'd found all secrets, but the important ones (soulsphere and backpack) are hinted just well enough without making me feel like I'd have been bummed without 'em.

Consider adding/reworking the YK door closer to where players get the key, minimizing downtime. For example:

Spoiler

608915370_teksewer(editarea)at2022_03.1618-20-31.543R3925.jpg.05f08c61571e8a8987fb1a9ca9c053b1.jpg

And, after the RK grab sequence, another interconnection should open up to the start area so players can reach the RK door quicker and more elegantly, like so:

Spoiler

2096123291_teksewer(editarea)at2022_03.1618-24-54.174R3925.jpg.b84cc3f655f8924c13c26bfbcfd01dca.jpg

I bring these up because most areas you backtrack through post-keys lack any repopulation or new areas/resource alcoves to liven up a playthrough. It's not a trap-oriented map, so adding a couple more segues would really help the overall flow.

Regardless, I enjoyed this and I look forward to your next map.

13 hours ago, sitrofan said:

Thanks for the comments everyone. Now, If I'll want to release an updated version, what would be the best way to do it?

Simply edit your original post with the updated WAD attached. If you're completely happy with it afterwards and don't want to make any further updates, consider archiving it over on DoomShack or /idgames (or both!).

Fantastic first map  - love the secrets - found the plasma gun in editor after I like it

Came here because of your second map Reprocessing Facility and I wasn't disappointed. Your second map was impressive, but also your very first one - this map - is really cool!

Recommended!

Played on Crispy Doom

This is a great first map. Very impressive id say. The layout is readable enough with me getting a little lost at times, which is fine cause for the most part the map is very aesthetic. Id say my only complaint was that the archvile encounters felt a little too open for my taste--not a lot of immediate area for cover (In particular that archvile in the tunnel after the yellow key). Otherwise, this was a really fun to play map. Great job!

Playthrough video

This was nice. Just barely survived my first attempt. Those archies... the first one, I admit I screamed like a little girl when I ran into him and I *was* expecting something since I heard a door opening sound before heading into the dark corridor. The second one was much more manageable, but nice job placing him right where the hell knight fell. That's the way to do it.

I especially appreciated all the little windows into other parts of the level. It's nice to get a preview, and it made the level feel nice and compact. I did get lost for a while looking for the yellow door, but that's what the automap is for. Shame I had it unbound for some reason...

Edited by Klear

Thanks! Sorry for the jumpscare, lol. Maybe it would be a good idea to try making a VR-oriented map, but motion sickness and other stuff would probably be a problem.

Edited by sitrofan

1 hour ago, sitrofan said:

Thanks! Sorry for the jumpscare, lol. Maybe it would be a good idea to try making a VR-oriented map, but motion sickness and other stuff would probably be a problem.

That's exactly what I came here to do! I got distracted, though. Motion sickness is not an issue (for me at least), but there are various things that feel great (like shooting over walls and through windows) and things that are more awkward (tiny ledges and platforming especially).

Wads like yours are great for me to figure these things out.