Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Corrupted Cistern :: GZDoom UDMF Map [FINAL on IDGAMES]

good to see this get released 
been looking forward to the finished map (saw those tasty screenshots at the doom picture thread)
going to play it once im home

played the whole thing from start to finish and it was pretty damn good
a ton of effort and talent went into this and it shows 
tho i found a tiny problem in the end of the map 

(put a spoiler since i dont wanna spoil anyone):

Spoiler

the door that need a red key to open (the one that leads to the exit) only opens once and closes forever
this happened to me in my playtrough and i had to noclip my way out since it was impossible to reach the exit
after i looked at the editor i saw that it doesnt have the repeatable action box checked which made the problem in the first place 

1859314090_Screenshot(130).png.f5dd6c1e89548d16b9ee2e4b16efabda.png
this maybe intentional but i think it would be better if the player could open the final door again instead of opening it only once

45 minutes ago, big smoke said:

tho i found a tiny problem in the end of the map

Wow, good catch; I will fix that.

RELATED QUESTION FOR THE FORUM: Any idea how to update a file on doomshack.org?

21 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Wow, good catch; I will fix that.

I've been curious as well. As far as I know you can only add a fixed version. Not replace the current one. Maybe @Doomkid knows?

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

@Doomkid can help with that I’m sure.

Cant wait to give this level a spin! It looks fantastic!

Its fantastic level and amazing details and very interesting, thank you for this great work and great level it took me 50 mins to finish it, I love it

Hey Lutz, wrote a MIDI directly inspired by this. May expand upon it later.

Undercroft (3:48)

This was lovely to play. I'll play it again and write up my thoughts on it a bit later!

Edited by Jimmy

Man! that's impressive. My shitty pc was crying for help while playing, but It was amazing.

Wow, amazing screenshots!

Since Wad-Archive.com trawls Doomshack.org for files, I try to avoid having multiple files with the same exact name but different checksums. If you want though, for the time being, just upload it with a slightly different name (add an underscore some something at the end of the file) then I can delete the old one and rename the new one accordingly.

For anyone else reading this, in future, if you want your files replaced or renamed feel free to shoot me a PM

Yes! Cannot wait to play this. Will definitely check it out very soon.

Top notch. As one would expect from Lutz. Some nitpicks ...

1. Line 56206 needs to be lower unpegged.

2. Texture on line 12681 should probably be KS_GRAY. Renders black ATM. I think lines 9499, 12667, 12679 and 12681 should also use KS_GRAY instead.

3. Texture clashes on lines 18376 etc. Used Vulkan.

4. Sector 22702 flickers but no visible light source. maybe a candle in the nearby wall ?

5. A gap in the water around sectors 7298 etc.

6. Sector 4269 needs a ceiling height of 512, MAYASTN5, ceiling offset 64, -65, and scale 1, -1.41,  line 10805 y offset -299 front and back. Spotted this in UDB edit mode.

Great job. A masterpiece. A Cacoward contender for sure.  :) .

Edited by hawkwind

Gorgeous from beginning to end. The architecture and water reminded me strongly of the Water Nali Temple in Unreal.

One of the spike shrubs in the room with the map's first encountered cacodemon is full-bright despite being in the shadows.

The sector and point light use and 3d floor detailing in this is just spectacular.

Fantastic map as expected.

I did found the same problem as @big smoke (red door) and a little Hom in an underwater spot while trying to figure out a soulsphere secret.

Heres a couple of screens:

Spoiler

KbUjCSi.jpg

DMlOHzx.png

11 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Naturally, I had to take it for another spin to see what changes you've made. ;^)

I suggested the early RL to Chris, because it's a high-risk, high-reward weapon in the early stages of the map. You can delete some monsters with it quickly, but Chris can control how much ammo is given, and in general the player is still at a disadvantage in the tunnel combat. The moment you get one of the SSGs that balance flips and the player dominates the hallways, revs and cacos included. A forward SSG would hasten this and make the initial section much easier - and there's no chance of controlling shell supply in this map, haha.

Honestly, I was worried you forgot about having the RL in your playthrough, because you kept diving into danger with hitscan in hand where a long range rocket or two would've saved your bacon.

1 hour ago, dew said:

I suggested the early RL to Chris, because it's a high-risk, high-reward weapon in the early stages of the map.

I really liked this idea (obviously) -- it's always a gamble to shoot rockets in tight quarters (particularly with auto-aim and sloped surfaces), but it is also *really* satisfying to obliterate a horde of hit-scanners with one trigger-squeeze.

2 hours ago, dew said:

Honestly, I was worried you forgot about having the RL in your playthrough, because you kept diving into danger with hitscan in hand where a long range rocket or two would've saved your bacon.

Hehe yeah, I think that probably just comes down to playstyle. I tend to play a bit more defensively and hoard my rockets for the high-tier demons because I don't usually like wasting them on low and mid-tiers. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to be more aggressive sometimes!

Just to back-up Soulless's comment ... missing MAYASTN5 on lines 16419 and 16289.

Edited by hawkwind

SUPER COOL STUFF! Bio helped me navigate this one lol but so cool s o much eye candy

Thanks for the kind words and incredibly detailed error-checking (seriously) - I’m out of the country ATM, but will patch and place the final version on /idgames once I return.

Final version of "Undercroft" - got it to a good length.

Undercroft (6:56)

If you wanted to include this piece in the map itself, Lutz, that's more than fine. :)