Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Edting software youwhant to see...

what kind of features would you like to see in edting tools? be the for mapping, modding, textuers, ect. little things that would make edting less of a hassle...

for example: I would like to see a map edtior that shows what your level would look like in real time (IE you can wander through it as its being made, compleat with textures, lighting, beastys ect).

well thats my seggestion, anything else any one else got an idea/seggestion?

Zaldron said:

Boolean operations on sector clusters.

I hate to look like an illiterate fool, but:

...?

Edit: OK, I looked it up.... (one should not confuse boolean modelling with boolean logic, heh).

RMB functionality incorporated into editors.

We could mark sectors as blind and monsters would not be able to see players inside that sectors.

The RMB program would be called to make reject map for the level whenever designers ask the editor for it.

Sphagne said:

RMB functionality incorporated into editors.

We could mark sectors as blind and monsters would not be able to see players inside that sectors.

The RMB program would be called to make reject map for the level whenever designers ask the editor for it.

Damn good idea

The ability to make sectors WADED style. There is just something about this that I can't let go of. Maybe it's the fact that I can construct secotrs using lines as guidelines and then delete the extra lines. Maybe it's Make Sector. I dummo, it just kicks.

An in-program help guide that shows examples of how to make bridges, complex buildings, etc -- complete with pictures and step-by-step help. The kicker would be if you could also access help from a site online. Y'know, something comparable to Adobe help guides.

Ct_red_pants said:

I would like to see a map edtior that shows what your level would look like in real time (IE you can wander through it as its being made, compleat with textures, lighting, beastys ect).

BUILD.EXE for Duke Nukem did this, i think it was the only level editor that worked with Duke, because it came with the game and it worked so well. Being able to view the level properly as you build it is very helpful, means you don't faff about for hours trying to get that perfect texture alignment. I really wish someone would go about doing a BUILD.exe for Doom, that would be soooo cool.

Ct_red_pants said:

I would like to see a map edtior that shows what your level would look like in real time (IE you can wander through it as its being made, compleat with textures, lighting, beastys ect).

WorldCraft had something like this too. This is number one on my doom editor wish list.

Ct_red_pants said:

for example: I would like to see a map edtior that shows what your level would look like in real time (IE you can wander through it as its being made, compleat with textures, lighting, beastys ect).

Unless you have an uber slow computer doom doesn't exactly take long to start up, and you can leave level editors open while you view the map in doom (unless you edit in pure dos, sucker) so it's not like it's a huge hassle to do that. Plus there's a command line buffer so you only have to press up or down or whatever a couple times instead of typing out everything, but I dunno.

Ya, the worldcraft 3d preview thing. I've been working with worldcraft for a pretty good amount of time now, and I don't see why that wouldn't be possible to add into a doom editor.

Lazer said:

Ya, the worldcraft 3d preview thing. I've been working with worldcraft for a pretty good amount of time now, and I don't see why that wouldn't be possible to add into a doom editor.

1 word: Convex

AlexMax said:

The ability to make sectors WADED style. There is just something about this that I can't let go of. Maybe it's the fact that I can construct secotrs using lines as guidelines and then delete the extra lines. Maybe it's Make Sector. I dummo, it just kicks.

Agreed. A better drawing method has not been created to date.

An optimal editor fo me would have a 3d editing view ala Build, linedef-based construction (also like Build), allow you to save and use prefabs, and do this all in a clean, uncluttered manner.

deep said:

1 word: Convex

damnit, i don't know what that word means.....

/me goes and looks it up

EDIT: i looked it up and it said that it was a surface the bulges outwards... now how could that be a problem?

Lüt said:

Agreed. A better drawing method has not been created to date.

Baloney. Just extra work and a prime example of "getting used to it".

Exactly. Now why is it that WADED is the only editor I've seen it with? I would love for that to be in other editors.

werd, I LOVED waded, even though it was amazingly buggy and programmed in quickbasic (haha), and choked horribly when you tried to open larger levels and simply refused to work right even with an assload of memory, plus that silly unregistered delay, but it will always hold a special place in my heart and it was so easy to edit stuff with. BTW, mewse is currently working on an editor (started by aur) called Helium, (http://helium.sf.net) which has drawing methods very similar to waded's (ie, place a vertex and there's a line attached to it, etc), though it's still in very eraly stages obviously. Hopefully something excellent will come from it before I turn 41 (in 20 years :P).

EDIT: oh yeah, and had ZERO support for external textures...I don't think it would even work if you merged a texture wad into doom2.wad...it was like all the texture names were hard coded into it or something...*shudder*

Heh, Urhash and me once started to write a WadEd-like editor, but we didn't really get anywhere with it. It had a funny name though: HashEd ^_^

BTW this post is 1337 :P

Helium seems interesting, but that site is mostly empty. There are no downloads or files in the CVS.

The project page says that they are using SDL for the GUI. Are you going to do all entry widgets and windows yourselves without any toolkit? If so then that is a huge-ass load of (unnecessary) work.