Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bengaltiger1

Tekmania. My 2nd map on Doomworld

Edit: Functioning link is below :) Sorry I am rusty, I been absent from Doomworld for quite some time

Edited by Bengaltiger1 : updated link

Hi all :) 

My apologies, I had to re-upload to fix missing texture issues.

Here I wanted to make a short, punchy map with relative challenge. The fact this one is a tech base, I tried to ensure that it isn't akin to an early - mid 90s clone. And with restricted use of Vanilla Doom ii textures I found that it can be a little tricky to keep things like texture use and layout unique. However I think it is enough to be interesting (hopefully). Also, there's experiment based combat in some areas, how I succeed here, I will listen carefully for feedback. After playtesting I conclude that no softlocks or HOMs exist. Note that due to some ACS scripting used, GZDoom is the best option, 4.5 or higher works. 

All that said, I hope you enjoy :)

Any criticism and advice is welcome

Screenshot (60).png

Screenshot (59).png

Screenshot (45).png

Tekmania.zip

Edited by Bengaltiger1 : Updated link

It's a decent first map, the combat flows well and I had fun even on my 2nd playthrough. The texture work is all over the place, most textures seem to be just randomly placed, and there are a few graphical errors, but it works well enough. I really like the ending it's a nice reward for finishing the map.

Here's my second run:

1 hour ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

It's a decent first map, the combat flows well and I had fun even on my 2nd playthrough. The texture work is all over the place, most textures seem to be just randomly placed, and there are a few graphical errors, but it works well enough. I really like the ending it's a nice reward for finishing the map.

Here's my second run:

Can you tell me which source port your using?

This is a really solid and fun map!

I do love the tech-base style and the small details here and there add some nice move to the map (I LOVE the burning circuitry near the exit XD)

Only real complaint I have is that the tech textures feel a bit higgle-dy piggle-dy in how they're used. (Especially seeing flats on walls and vice-versa :l )

Can't say for UV but this map is pretty fun and well balanced for HMP difficulty. :)

Not a bad map.  Play is good.  There are a couple of issues in the final outdoor area, but it might just be my version of GZDoom, which I admit, is old.

really fun map. There are some texture issues, but no big problems. I only found 3 of the 4 secrets 

Just played this one. Pretty cool!

GZDoom, UV, freelook, nojump/crouch

I don't think the texturing issues were at all obvious - at least there was nothing that jumped out at me. I did like the detailing - the tools on the exit shuttle particularly. The main thing I would say is use lighting levels to emphasize areas - that would make a big difference with no other changes. 

Played it. HMP, not sure if it matters on skill level. No death. Missed 2 secrets. 6/10

edit--- I didnt give a proper review because I got side tracked. =)

1. The map layout is good, but a bit bare on decoration. Basically if you spruced up with some computer banks and other soft touch stuff this would be a 8/10 for style.

2. That beginning almost kicked my booty, but thats not a bad thing. The Revenant trap was well done and the reward for it was... quizzical for opening the door but it was a good secret.

3. Baron room was hitscan hell, but the baron fight was easy. Those Hell Knights almost got me though.

4. The one standout feature in this whole map. How did you make those spider holding tanks?!  Those things were so simple looking  but made me do a double take after I realized I saw something awesome! 

5. I'd say you have a handle on the combat mechanics and monster placement. You have the makings of doing awesome at mapping.

Edited by kalensar : needed to add info

7 hours ago, kalensar said:

Played it. HMP, not sure if it matters on skill level. No death. Missed 2 secrets. 6/10

edit--- I didnt give a proper review because I got side tracked. =)

1. The map layout is good, but a bit bare on decoration. Basically if you spruced up with some computer banks and other soft touch stuff this would be a 8/10 for style.

2. That beginning almost kicked my booty, but thats not a bad thing. The Revenant trap was well done and the reward for it was... quizzical for opening the door but it was a good secret.

3. Baron room was hitscan hell, but the baron fight was easy. Those Hell Knights almost got me though.

4. The one standout feature in this whole map. How did you make those spider holding tanks?!  Those things were so simple looking  but made me do a double take after I realized I saw something awesome! 

5. I'd say you have a handle on the combat mechanics and monster placement. You have the makings of doing awesome at mapping.

I'm glad you noticed those holding Chambers as I scripted the event using ACS.

I used the Breakable glass feature.

I decided against any glass shards from the compblue  (used in this case as a midtex) so I simply made it disappear. 

The surrounding wall is the ceiling raising.

I made it all happen fast so the midtexture vanishing wouldn't be so obvious, the effect still works I think. The map spot is used to execute the script so it functions correctly.

And the transparent part was the easy part. 

With UDB you can simply check it by right click > properties > Translucent

Although it looks simplistic the part of drawing was fairly awkward. Thank goodness for the copy and paste feature so I only had to draw 1 capsule and then within moments places all 5 accordingly.

One part I don't think worked out as well as I hoped was the area where you obtain the blue key. The lowering and raising platform's in which the shotgunner ambush takes place (after pressing the comp switch) I felt that they rarely ever fire through the gaps... In hindsight I should have made the gaps broader to make the trap fulfill It's purpose.

Of all the reviews I read so far, yours was the most concise. Thank you for sharing your feedback : )

20 minutes ago, Bengaltiger1 said:

Of all the reviews I read so far, yours was the most concise. Thank you for sharing your feedback : )

I also forgot to mention this. I tested the wad on PrBoom, Odamex and Crispy with complete and utter crashing. It worked on ZDoom 2.8, LZD 3.88 and GZD 4.71 perfectly fine.  

On 3/17/2022 at 3:22 PM, RED77 said:

really fun map. There are some texture issues, but no big problems. I only found 3 of the 4 secrets 

Hi and thank you : ) I saw Clippy play your wad Flytrap Lab and was thoroughly impressed. Great lighting, and interesting texture work going on. Hope to see more from you in the future 🤞

3 minutes ago, Bengaltiger1 said:

Hi and thank you : ) I saw Clippy play your wad Flytrap Lab and was thoroughly impressed. Great lighting, and interesting texture work going on. Hope to see more from you in the future 🤞

Thank you. I'm working on a map now, but it'sabig one. so maybe in a week i'll have it done.