Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

This guy gives such a weird desription of Doom

I mean, older people are like that for some reason. My dad is always saying things used to be better in the old days despite the fact that he didn't really have the greatest childhood but he somehow takes 'manners' as an example and that's just an on-the-surface thing not really reflective of reality. Nevermind the fact that at the worst, the popular art we consume probably speaks to some part of us that may be good or bad. It's nothing to raise a moral panic over.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:18 PM, Bauul said:

As far back as ~400BC we have even revered philosophers doing this.  Plato once thought that the invention of writing of all things would be the end of enlightened society and it would cause humanity to cease progressing.

image.png.9dde4c641ab859470e1f631907cec97a.png

Plato may have had a point, back in the day I remember gaming chats (Doom even had one! Or two! Or several!) being these abuzz Mos Eisley-esque cantinas of lively back and forth discussion hither and yon ...

Nowadays? Conversations terminate as soon as they start, "Google it." LOL

5 hours ago, Amarande said:

Plato may have had a point, back in the day I remember gaming chats (Doom even had one! Or two! Or several!) being these abuzz Mos Eisley-esque cantinas of lively back and forth discussion hither and yon ...

Nowadays? Conversations terminate as soon as they start, "Google it." LOL

It seems weird to say this amidst a bunch of chatter! For “old gaming forum” standards, Doomworld is pretty darn chatty, and the “just go Google it you fool” line is only tossed around rarely. 

Yeah, Doomworld seems to have always been a big exception. I'm not sure what our special sauce is though.

Like go to most other games and it's ... well ... we need to do something to combat Radical Laconicism soon I think, before it devours what's left of human conversation! XD

Also I don't seem to really see the IRCs around anymore. There's Discords I suppose, although Discord itself never really feels quite the same as IRC either (I've been known to blame certain aspects of how Discord handles DMs but I'm not sure if it tells the whole story lol).

Posted (edited)

I try to be open and willing to watch differing opinions/reviews of games I like, but more often than not it’s this shit.

A good number of reviews I’ve seen that consider a game flawed or heavily criticize it have been quite ignorant and can all be argued or answered with five seconds of research.

examples if you care

Spoiler

For example, people shit on Detroit: Become Human for being “boring” - but it’s an interactive narrative where your choices matter, taking place in a world that could be our future. It’s not a fast-paced boomer shooter, and that’s not what it was going for.

People shit on Half-Life (1) for being boring, and while it does have moments that are padded out or not given much thought (On a Rail & Xen), it relies more on atmosphere and exploration, mostly within believable spaces. It’s not Doom - simple as that.

Also, you’d think everyone would be past questioning the morals of clicking the left mouse button at this point…