Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SimplePixelz

Is there a way to make ZDoom demos?

I want to submit speedruns via demos but if ZDoom can do demos I don't know how they work (Doom 1 2 and Plutonia Experiment respectively)

Yes, demo recording works the same way as any other port that supports demos. However ZDoom isn't recommended for demo speedrunning purposes given its non-existent compatibility with the vanilla engine, so any ZDoom demos for the wads you mentioned either won't be accepted into DSDA or placed under the "Other" category.

Better options for demo speedrunning purposes include DSDA-Doom, Woof! and Crispy Doom:

41 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

However ZDoom isn't recommended for demo speedrunning purposes given its non-existent compatibility with the vanilla engine

I thought I read somewhere that using ZDoom 2.8.1 might be okay now for ZDoom-related mods/maps and whatnot because that branch is no longer being updated? I could be wrong.

And saying this too just in case: You shouldn't try to record demos with GZDoom or any other maintained branch of it since old GZDoom demos won't work with newer versions and vice versa. It breaks demo compatibility with itself nearly every update. But such is the way of GZDoom. Demo support isn't a focus for the ZDoom family.

9 minutes ago, UndeadRyker said:

I thought I read somewhere that using ZDoom 2.8.1 might be okay now for ZDoom-related mods/maps and whatnot because that branch is no longer being updated? I could be wrong.

2.8.1 is the preferred version that should be used for anything that doesn't require an older version to not break, or a GZDoom version to function.

GZDoom demos are also not even guaranteed to sync when played on the same version (but on different hardware), due to floating points.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:36 AM, Andromeda said:

Yes, demo recording works the same way as any other port that supports demos. However ZDoom isn't recommended for demo speedrunning purposes given its non-existent compatibility with the vanilla engine, so any ZDoom demos for the wads you mentioned either won't be accepted into DSDA or placed under the "Other" category.

Better options for demo speedrunning purposes include DSDA-Doom, Woof! and Crispy Doom:

Thank you for this, I will try to switch to another port.