Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Known lost WADs of our history?

26 minutes ago, Doomlover77 said:

@thestarroverthe shareware supreme games ISO you uploaded was very good. I found a few doom wads I have not seen before when I looked at it this afternoon.

will you be uploading any more old doom wads ? @Doomlover77  

I will update the Coverdiscs collection soon. The update for the shareware collection is still work in progress.

image.png.a272cac398cf36654552b85d6dfc1681.pngimage.png.eb616e6038936b2e361f73253ac91419.png

Here's a WAD called The Last Adventure. The homepage for this (http://www.doommaster.prv.pl/ is one site I found, still cached by google but currently offline) was around a few years ago, and even had a download link available.

Now, I have a version of this WAD that I got from wadsinprogress back in the day. It was never finished but it does have some content:

Here

But I also distinctly remember downloading a different, and IIRC more complete version, off the webpage a few years ago before it went offline. I still have it, somewhere on my hard drive, but unfortunately I do not remember the filename anymore.

Well either way, that's another lost WAD for you! The actual project somewhat reminds me of Herian 2 in that it incorporates elements from Doom 2 and Heretic/Hexen, but with some ZDoom features. It's not the best WAD in the world and it's clearly unfinished but it has some potential.

The earlier projects that later evolved into this are discussed here, and Enjay even posted links which are understandably dead now. Maybe they can be recovered, however.

BOBTSH.ZIP (Bob's The Shores of Hell) - a planned successor to Bob Carter's BOBKDV2 (Bob's Knee Deep) with a similar set of nine levels. Only one map planned for it was released as standalone that being B21.WAD, while the rest of the PWAD was probably scrapped and never finished. Though since Bob Carter also contributed to the commercial 1995 PWAD The Lost Episodes of Doom, it's believed that E3M7 and maybe E3M8 might had originally been contenders for his scrapped sequel to BOBKDV2, so perhaps those two other levels planned for BOBTSH likely morphed into E3M7 and E3M8 as the final two levels in The Lost Episodes of Doom.

Oh, and also, since one of the Master Levels map designers being Christen Klie (@Mapslinger) also contributed to The Lost Episodes of Doom. So perhaps maybe Subderma eventually morphed into E2M5 in The Lost Episodes of Doom?

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

I'm pretty sure Lost Episodes came out before Master Levels, it was likely his half of the Lost Episodes + BF Thud that got him onboard the Master Levels

According to textfile of TRIEX.WAD, Doug Ryerson created and released 30 wads on ftp. 

Doomwiki lists 13, but there are 5 more on idgames, credited as by Douglas Ryerson. Of those, ACIDAREA and THIRTY3 came out after TRIEX, bringing the total number to 32 wads.

Unfortunately, the only lost wad named in his textfiles is COLONY.WAD

He did also mention a music wad called ACTIOMUS and a graphic set called SEQUENCE. I'm not sure he included these in the count. 

Also, the textifle for his galilean.wad credits "The author of triton.wad", another wad I couldn't find.

1 hour ago, Michael Jensen said:

He did also mention a music wad called ACTIOMUS and a graphic set called SEQUENCE. I'm not sure he included these in the count.

SEQUENCE is on Doomwadstation.net, and is also included in various shareware CDs.

On 9/16/2022 at 6:54 PM, Michael Jensen said:

Unfortunately, the only lost wad named in his textfiles is COLONY.WAD

COLONY.ZIP

EDIT: Removed. The file is corrupted and it doesn't work.

Edited by thestarrover : File corrupted. Removed

1 hour ago, Michael Jensen said:

@thestarrover Thank you! Unfortunately, the colony wad file seems to be broken. 

Yes it is corrupted, and unfortunately it is the only copy i was able to find.

I am sorry.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, NiGHTMARE said:

Perfect - started around March 1999 as a project loosely inspired by the Darkening, and later morphed into an unofficial Darkening Episode 3 when Ola Bjorling joined the team to provide a brand new texture .wad.

This really isn't "lost" since I've posts teaser screenshots many times over the years on DW, Discord, my websites, etc. I've had a 3 map set using ukiro's old texture set finished for years now including one frankenmap that incorporates the unfinished pieces by Cocoon, Wiles, Covaro, & other mappers that people know. I tucked it away when Eviternity and the OTEX revival was happening in 2017/2018 and releasing maps with the old textures was a distraction from the main event.

It still needs MIDI music and some menu graphics completed - and it's under a different title than Perfect. A dozen of more community members have given me playtesting feedback over the years. The levels are just OK. I was hoping to convert the lot to OTEX but most of the old textures don't have a like-for-like and all my geometry is opinionated around material/pattern edges. The texture set was also made immediately after darken2's set in 1999, but before darken2 was released in 2000. So it's heavily inspired by Quake 2 and 1990s drop shadows.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, NiGHTMARE said:

I have a few WIP levels for this, but unfortunately they all use a pre-Ola texture .wad which I appear to have lost.

There's a pfcttex.wad Mar 29, 1999 that's basically Surge 1/2 textures with some clones of tech textures Kurt Kesler made for his maps around that time.

Now there may be some part of this I'm misunderstanding, but I think there may be a lost version of the Monster Resource WAD that these two demos need to sync properly. On the previous version of DSDA hosted by Andy Olivera, the front page linked to two wads the demos supposedly required, one of them being Kaiser's Console Doom partial conversion and the other being a version of the Monster Resource WAD dated September 2004. Even with these loaded and the right version of ZDoom used, the demos still desync once the MRW's Afrits appear, which is what makes me think a different version of that file is required, but I'm not especially confident it can still be found today.

On 9/25/2022 at 8:03 PM, SiFi270 said:

Now there may be some part of this I'm misunderstanding, but I think there may be a lost version of the Monster Resource WAD that these two demos need to sync properly. On the previous version of DSDA hosted by Andy Olivera, the front page linked to two wads the demos supposedly required, one of them being Kaiser's Console Doom partial conversion and the other being a version of the Monster Resource WAD dated September 2004. Even with these loaded and the right version of ZDoom used, the demos still desync once the MRW's Afrits appear, which is what makes me think a different version of that file is required, but I'm not especially confident it can still be found today.

Paging @Mad Butcher and @VVL: Do you guys happen to have other versions of the Monster Resource WAD? The one linked on the old DSDA is version 3.0, while the one on /idgames is 4.0, dated August 2006. Those are the only ones I was able to find, and neither works with the linked demos.

I suppose I could also page @ragnew, but the odds of him seeing this message AND having the wads he used to record the demo are probably close to zero :P

Does anyone have information on Doom GTS? Apparently it was a highly ambitious wad for either GZ or Zandronum with some rather janky looking 3d models, but some interesting features promised. Doing a reverse image search on the screenshot I had saved brought me here: https://www.igdb.com/games/doom-gts/presskit Trying to contact the creator of it, ViperGTS96, seems to be a lost cause as their website and discord server are solely focused on Farming Simulator (?) and their twitter is privatized.

rFVUwPH.jpg

pl2beta, an early version of Plutonia 2 during the time when Sam Woodman was still leading this project, is basically lost. 

We all know that it Plutonia 2 has an 8-year development history. According to the old PL2 website(http://plut2.vze.com/), in 2004, most of the maps were already done. But most of these maps are different from the finished version, only very few of them are included in the final PL2. The beta PL2's map21 was released standalone by Kaiser, map15 eventually become TNT2's map33 and the basis of map14.And map13 was included in"P2DEMO01.ZIP"(still available in the old PL2 website). Rest of the unreleased maps are basically "lost" I guess, since there's no way to download them.

For a long time I always wonder if pl2beta can be released to public one day, since some of the PL2 team members(Gusta, T.V) are still active in doomworld.

-a1f791f58aab28a.gif

-57ae38c0c08c8e62.gif

-574d359cc19e657b.gif

929e80008d5bf54.gif

I have version 7 of the Plutonia 2 resource wad, but the only level I have is one that Virgil the Doom Poet and myself had made (my parts of this level ended up being used in the Doom -1 project).

23 hours ago, Berubaretto said:

pl2beta, an early version of Plutonia 2 during the time when Sam Woodman was still leading this project, is basically lost. 

We all know that it Plutonia 2 has an 8-year development history. According to the old PL2 website(http://plut2.vze.com/), in 2004, most of the maps were already done. But most of these maps are different from the finished version, only very few of them are included in the final PL2. The beta PL2's map21 was released standalone by Kaiser, map15 eventually become TNT2's map33 and the basis of map14.And map13 was included in"P2DEMO01.ZIP"(still available in the old PL2 website). Rest of the unreleased maps are basically "lost" I guess, since there's no way to download them.

For a long time I always wonder if pl2beta can be released to public one day, since some of the PL2 team members(Gusta, T.V) are still active in doomworld.

It's probably this: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ed9u0fzql7tea6t/plutonia2_beta.zip/file

Looking at this thread reminds me of this old mod called Zombie Doom, which Scuba Steve told about on another thread about creative use of DEHACKED monsters. He worked on it as the sprite artist, so he still has the DEHACKED gameplay mod files with him there, but the maps seem to be forever lost or unpublished (when accessing the archived homepage, the Downloads link is inaccessible).

1 hour ago, VVL said:

Just had a quick check, and yes, this one is seemly a beta version of PL2. Despite not being a 32-maps megawad as I imagined, it does contain levels mentioned on the old PL2 site. Thanks a lot for your sharing anyway!

(BTW, I am curious about how could you have such a rare and valuable wad.)

Edited by Berubaretto

According to the date of the PL2 beta .wad it's from 2001, so there's still a seven year gap between that and the final release.

I know of at least one level being worked on during that time which didn't end up in the final project, namely the aforementioned collab orationbetween Virgin the Doom Poet and myself was being worked on in 2007, so obviously isn't included. Here's a link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/y54g1t9ibwndqds/pl2-06-a.wad/file

This needs to be run on top of the beta version above, and I've also included textures, flats, and status bar graphics in the 2007 era resource wad but not the beta. I haven't actually checked they run okay together, so if there are any problems please let me know :)

IIRC the level wasn't completely finished, and I can't remember if it even has an exit.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:37 AM, Endless said:

Joe Anderson WADs, found this one thanks to a thread that pointed how all of his WADs started being removed from the archives suddenly. Even trying to look up the author's name is hard. Some of the WADs did exist and where even reviewed on the ONEMANDOOM Blogpost. There's still some randomly preserved zip files, but I couldn't find more info as to why the sudden disappearance of the WADs and how many there actually are.

tcdoomrm04b.png

TOTCDOOM.WAD can be found inside Doomkid's Big Vanilla Pack

So after the initial post about Plutonia 2 was made, @Diabolución added this link to its wiki page. I thought "oh boy, I bet they'll share it in this thread next!" but I guess not. They said in the page history that the directory wasn't browsable, but unless I'm misunderstanding something I didn't have a problem downloading it all, save for p206bet1.zip being password protected.

The main files seem to be p2b01may and p2l_01, the latter of which is dated three months later and requires p2res07. I haven't done an especially in-depth comparison between the two or the directory's many single map wads, but one thing I noticed is how map06 of the May build crashed Crispy Doom, looked wrong in PrBoom+, and seemed to work as intended in ZDoom with just a little complaining from the console.

I should have some of the PL2 files, and I remember the PL2 guys commenting on how innapropriate the maps were so they may have some scraps

I remember a wad called eaket.wad or maybe something like eket.wad which was of some guy's high school (classic but cliche). It had a couple custom textures for lockers and the school crest (which was a lion IIRC). It was fairly nonlinear and I loved using it to mess around with the D! launcher's randomizer. I found it on some website that had a collection of "best Doom 1 wads" or something like that which also had some classics like UAC_DEAD. Last I heard about it was at least 15 years ago when I found a post by the guy who made it saying he had lost it and was wondering if anyone had a copy. I checked all my old floppies I used to store wads on but it wasn't there. Sadly, I have no proof it ever existed aside from my memories.

3 minutes ago, Firedust said:

That Doom Bible project essel tried to launch like 50 years ago.

You sure it's not hfc2x's?

46 minutes ago, Firedust said:

That Doom Bible project essel tried to launch like 50 years ago.

42 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

You sure it's not hfc2x's?

I think a lot of people have tried doing Doom Bible projects over the years. Mine was all the way back around 2002, I was 12 years old and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. I don't have any of the files anymore, alas.

If my memory isn't faulty, I think Submerge527, Kid Airbag, and Darkhaven3 were helping out with it. I wonder if any of them still have any pieces of it, though it's very unlikely 20 years later. (I have no idea why any of them were letting a completely unqualified kid boss them around in the first place...)

I’m amazed that anyone else actually remembers it!