Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Known lost WADs of our history?

Wish to see someone make a lost Doom PWADs iceberg featuring most of the ones that are lost to history.

Also, I also tried to PM @VinceDSS regarding the Plutonia 2 beta, but to no avail. Well, I guess none of the team involved with Plutonia 2 are interested in talking about the beta content, so perhaps the only known way to see which maps made it to the final version and which maps got cut is to do an entire playthrough of the PL2 beta content releases itself. Hopefully @DCasali can take a look at the Plutonia 2 Beta content.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

Aeons of Death Version 1.0 - as most sources say about it, version 1 never existed or was never released to public. As for what version 1.0 of AEoD would've looked like, we don't know for sure, perhaps it was just a combination of the ZDoom Monster Resource WAD and Weapons Resource WAD combined into one mod or something like that. Perhaps only @Major Cooke and @DBThanatoshave answers to what happened with version 1.0 of AEoD, and the latter author was still on the team until the mid-2010s.

An unknown beta build of the Atari Jaguar port of Doom which appeared on a magazine ad in the Gamefan magazine in 1994.

gamefan_vol_2_issue_11_0126.jpg

As seen in those screenshots, it shows a very early hud and early versions of maps that didn't make it to the final version. Unless these screenshots were mock-ups, the beta build of the Atari Jaguar port is a mystery.

Pablo Dictter released a lot of wads in the early 2000s for both Doom and Heretic, then made a couple of brief comebacks in 2007 and 2011. Around 2001 he was working on an 8-map episode replacement for Ultimate Doom, and he released 5 of the maps as separate wads: The Gates, The Lost Wad, The Red Skull Key, The Abandoned Base and The Evil Base. According to the text file uploaded with most of these, the remaining 3 maps were actually completed but "are really bad, so they are not being released". As far as I know he stayed true to his words and never published them, but I'm curious if that's really the case. @pabloD did you ever do anything with those unreleased maps or rework them into something else?

The September 1994 Beta build (or IWAD) of Heretic as scene in the September 1994 issue coverdisk of Interactive Entertainment magazine, and maybe even the beta build (or IWAD) of Hexen as scene in the November 1995 issue coverdisk of Interactive Entertainment magazine. Older beta build of both Doom engine games by Raven software are likely lost to time, as the earliest available builds for either game goes as far back as December 1994 Shareware beta for the former and the Retail Store Beta #3 build for the latter, the latter of which was likely compiled somewhere between April to September 1995 (if this that is correct).

So this might not be the absolute right place to post this but i have just found about 25 old floppy disks filled with wads that I downloaded back in what had to be 1995. Since i havnt had a computer that has a disk drive in probably 15 years or more, these are in fact lost wads of MY history. Reading the names on them I absolutely remember some of them as being my favorite levels and even some of them that ive looked for and been unable to find on idgames and doomshack or through google searches. I would love to be able to play these again as i would only put on disk stuff that was above average in my opinion and couldnt be found in most archives or on cd compilations. Just thought it was kinda cool finding these and wanted to share my dicovery. Now i have to contemplate getting at them...

1 hour ago, Insaneprophet said:

So this might not be the absolute right place to post this but i have just found about 25 old floppy disks filled with wads that I downloaded back in what had to be 1995. Since i havnt had a computer that has a disk drive in probably 15 years or more, these are in fact lost wads of MY history. Reading the names on them I absolutely remember some of them as being my favorite levels and even some of them that ive looked for and been unable to find on idgames and doomshack or through google searches. I would love to be able to play these again as i would only put on disk stuff that was above average in my opinion and couldnt be found in most archives or on cd compilations. Just thought it was kinda cool finding these and wanted to share my dicovery. Now i have to contemplate getting at them...

that sounds awesome! I wish I had things like that stashed on old floppies. sure remember I used to backup my copy of Doom II to floppies back in '96 scripting my own batch installer for it, but I got rid of those ever since I discovered how to burn CD's in '01!

there's been a time I searched all over for those diskettes still under the impression that I treasured them somewhere. :T

good luck with recovering those wads!

A proposed version of Marine Doom planned to be distributed by GT Interactive that was mentioned in the June 1997 issue of Next Generation magazine. As far as we know, there isn't anything known what happened to this proposed retail version of Marine Doom, although its speculated that it was scrapped after id Software switched publishing games with Activision for the then upcoming Quake II, and perhaps this proposed retail version of Marine Doom planned by GT Interactive morphed into the Build Engine games NAM and WWII GI, both developed by TNT Team in 1998 and 1999 respectively.

2castles:

On 5/28/2017 at 10:19 PM, Soundblock said:

(an obscure map we used to multiplay a lot with Romero while at Ion Storm - a really original deathmatch concept. I've contacted Romero about locating this .wad but its author hasn't replied AFAIK)

On 1/10/2023 at 2:03 PM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Aeons of Death Version 1.0 - as most sources say about it, version 1 never existed or was never released to public. As for what version 1.0 of AEoD would've looked like, we don't know for sure, perhaps it was just a combination of the ZDoom Monster Resource WAD and Weapons Resource WAD combined into one mod or something like that. Perhaps only @Major Cooke and @DBThanatoshave answers to what happened with version 1.0 of AEoD, and the latter author was still on the team until the mid-2010s.

I wish, but sadly I don't. Only DBThanatos can answer that. Also I'm not someone who keeps old versions of my mods lying around. I prefer moving forward and trying new things out.

You're correct though, DBT handed me AEoD and D4D before we parted ways due to creative differences, and our preferences for different source ports were mounting. He's apparently with the multiplayer crowd, while I'm with GZDoom's ZScript crowd. Hope he's doing well though.

Edited by Major Cooke

I've recently tried to email Doom X author Melvin Flynt by send a message with the one that was listed in the "Wolfenstein Secret Boss" video regarding why he never released any media updates since 2016 and I've not heard back whatsoever. Perhaps, there's little to no chance of Doom X being revisited at this point for now.

On 7/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, thestarrover said:

I was able to find the original and standalone release of HUH.WAD by Rob Hasselbaum (Spectrum).

Map slot E2M1, with the original E2M1 music track.

HUH.WAD 05/02/1994

HUH.TXT  05/01/1994

FILE_ID.DIZ 05/05/1994

CRC-32 : ed905073

MD5: 320ca91c025fa43adecef2298d3a14c9

SHA1: 75b279a6a042e67a9f6eecb19d73785b8a83b3be

If I am not wrong, according to his post, @Never_Againis looking for this wad too.

HUH_E2M1.ZIP

@Endless probably forgot to put the original release of WADPAK1's E1M3 in the Lost and Found section of this thread.

Mountain Deathmatch 2 - The only lost installment in Edward Cripps' Mountain Deathmatch series, which was presumably released in either 1999 or 2000. Given that @Ed is around this forum, so perhaps he might have a copy in his backups.

Maybe not lost, but Matt Bollier's Colombian Prison Riot (D2PRISON.WAD)  is a rare and hard to find wad.

Finally, after a long search, I was able to find it and now I can share it with you.

The level is very large and, in single player, there aren't many enemies. As Bollier himself says, the map is harder in co-op and I think it's good for deathmatch as well. The wad is enriched with a new Titlepic, Endoom and new sound effects.
The version I found is 2.0: some bugs and textures have been fixed and improved. It is therefore possible to play it as intended by the author.

In the zip file I have also included other Bollier's levels not yet available on idgames.
With D2prison.wad, if I am not mistaken and according to the titles mentioned in his text files, Bollier's production is now complete.

Some screenshots

Screenshot_Doom_20230302_194734.png.1e8e50445a583f302ddbb8f976f1d0ee.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230302_194919.png.2e5bfc799cb1fccfd6a43e0339b48a6a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230302_204036.png.885645e3f2a604cd4155297daacef15e.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230302_204047.png.0e5344d9cd4f85236d1aadcc714de829.png

Enjoy!

Matt Bollier.zip

23 hours ago, Doomlover77 said:

@thestarrover where did you find Colombian Prison Riot ? I’ve been after it since Feb 1996 !! Please could you link the website here ? Thank you. @Doomlover77  

Joystick Cd coverdisc n°67 1996 on Archive.org or Abandonware-Magazine.org

It is a hybrid PC/MAC cd.

The wads are stored in the "Mac section" of the cd and, unfortunately, Archive.org shows only the PC files (Dos,Windows and Linux). The Mac files are invisible.

I was able to find the wad only thanks to this site: Discmaster.textfiles.com

On that site you can browse the COMPLETE content of the CDs, floppy disks and FTP sites archived on Archive.org and, of course, it is also possible search for a specific file. In this way you don't have to download the full cd.

D2PRISON

There are some other wads in the "Mac section" of some issues of the Joystick CDs. I don't have the time for a complete list, but you can take a look at these wads:

RFA

CLIFF_HANGER

MACDOOM wads from some isssues of MACWORLD. Some of them are:

Diabolic

This is a very rare wad by Slof.

SELVIA

JIHAD

Enjoy!

Looking for the 1.0 version of Twilight Warrior Special Forces for Doom 2.

The early version of End Game from January 2004 which had the texture that were going to be used in Mordeth Episode 3 that was quickly taken down before being reuploaded with said textures replaced with GothicDM textures, meaning that the early version would be nearly difficult to find.

Given that the Mordeth mod has recently been getting new status updates, Episode 2's release is possible while Episode 3's fate is currently uncertain.

There are two ''Demo'' wads that I played years ago. No idea what the names were.

1) This Demo contained a single map which required Zdoom to run as it contained all of the usual Zdoom related features. Anyway, it started off with your Marine character arriving at a base and being taken to the Barracks. All Hell breaks loose and you have to fight your way through the Barracks. It ends when you run into a rescue team and you get taken somewhere.

2) A three Map Demo that used Quake 2 textures and had a dark, industrial atmosphere. It ended after the third Map and I remember there being a pretty good industrial midi playing over a custom end text.

Indeed. This thread is more or less to document those WADs that we know existed at some point, but are currently unavailable for download and considered to be lost to the annals of the internet.

For old, rare but still available WADs, the Wadarcheology Project fits better.

22 minutes ago, Wil5on said:

Indeed. This thread is more or less to document those WADs that we know existed at some point, but are currently unavailable for download and considered to be lost to the annals of the internet.

For old, rare but still available WADs, the Wadarcheology Project fits better.

Thank you for the link! I'll remember that next time :) Cheers!

Edited by Wil5on

ID4DOOM - a total conversion project based on the 1996 film Independence Day developed sometime in the late-1990s as a project for the website Functional Entropy. Probably abandoned, never released and never finished.

Given that Functional Entropy was the first Doom fansite that @Linguica had worked for, perhaps he might or might not know what happened to the ID4DOOM project of the late-1990s.