Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LerxstInWonderland

Hell Unearthed - 6 DOOM 2 Limit Removing Maps

This lengthy project deserves a name and I'm glad it has one and it's suiting 

Slowly transitioning from Tech base to Hell interesting stuff

Thanks for playing through another map Clippy. Had a great time watching it, and enjoyed your commentary. I thought you did pretty good, especially for a blind run (and for forgetting about having a rocket launcher haha) The whole health balance thing is tricky for me. I find it way harder than ammo balance. I tend to dole out large quantities of lower health items, but maybe adding a few more strategically placed Medikits wouldn't be such a bad idea.

My favorite part was around 18:00 in where you find the secret...and then the horrible disappointment of realizing it's a one and done type situation (Sorry for being a Super Bastard ™haha. It was originally actually even worse, as you had to actually get to the megasphere to tag the secret). For some reason, I always throw in secrets that have the player do some weird/obscure shit to get. I think sometimes I just get tired of the ol' slightly different texture/misalignment hidden wall secret (not that there is anything wrong with that type of secret, it's a classic after all) and want to try something new, and it doesn't always work out haha. I also laughed at how the archvile trap fell completely flat at the end, and you just rocketed him and peaced out haha.

But yeah, thanks again for taking the time to do these! I appreciate it, and they're a great way for me to look at ways I can improve future maps :)

You hid your secrets really well bud. These maps are very well crafted and I like the transition from Tech base to hell 

quality map set! I had a rough start lol but once I figured your style out... lots of traps, always watch your back... intelligent monster placement, making everything a challenge. But difficulty was always fair after that, balanced items etc. Never boring map layout, I just like the style. Very doomish. Btw I actually enjoyed that you used original music.

in Archies Abodes you can soft lock yourself in the Archie room

@Clippy Thank you once again for another great video :) I think this one was my favorite. You got yourself out of some seriously dicey situations, especially going into the cyberdemon room with low health. Good eye finding the medikits on the lower platforms with the arachnotrons. I also burst out laughing at around 20:10 when you find the other rad suit. The reason it's there is because of your feedback on MAP02, and you were definitely right! I skimped way too hard on rad suits, so I added a few more to some of the levels to make them more fair/less annoying. Also, the archvile at the end is probably the only one I placed somewhat well in the entire wad haha. Watching others play these maps made me realize my archvile game is pretty weak. Something to work on for future maps!

Thanks again for your help/feedback and continuing with these. I look forward to the last map when you get to it :)

@pampoo79 Thanks for the kind words :) Sorry about the rough start, but glad you pulled through in the end! The traps are definitely over the top, but the maps felt boring to me without them. It's a fine line I suppose, and I probably succeeded in some maps better than others. Another thing to keep in mind for future maps. Also, that Archie room...whoops! Thank you for telling me about that as well! I'm gonna add your fix right now and update the ZIP.

I really enjoyed these maps... but, enemy spawns were a bit tiring. I disliked moving through corridors and then having to look behind my back. Took some of the fun out of it.

played this in 1-2 map bursts over the last few days, had a good time! 

the only thing that i was hung up on was the progression in map 5.  i went into the lower areas, was not able to find a way to return to the upper portions, and could not find the necessary progression.  was able to finish the map but it felt like the rocket jump over this gap was mandatory(to which i'm not opposed but seemed confusing given this map set). 

Spoiler

doom00.png.f2b2b2b88d79a3d1e545795f7ed94405.png

@loveless Glad you had a good time overall! The progression in MAP05 is a bit odd...and I was having trouble explaining it, so I record a quick video showing the yellow key progression. 

I apologize if I misunderstood, and this isn't what you were talking about. Thanks for playing :)

omg, i have no idea how i missed that the yellow key was in there.  also hilarious i felt the need to rocket jump this gap.

Well I finally finished these maps, or they finished me lol

Damn UV blind was a bad choice for this one lol - and pistol starts - and I didn't get the plasma or any secrets and everything that could go wrong, did

You are sooooo evil - every step is a trap - it's constantly 1 step forward and 50 steps back - like everything is designed for torment, right down to looking at secrets and crap you can't get lol

well enjoy my suffering

It's well crafted don't get me wrong, but it broke me big time haha

@Clippy Thank you for the video but I'm not gonna lie, I kinda feel legit bad about it :( Like, I'm sincerely sorry. I would usually laugh at a couple deaths or mishaps here and there in the other videos, but this one was kind of uncomfortable to watch for me.

I kind of wish you would of just said: I tried it but sorry, too much bullshit. I'm not playing this... haha. I would have understood and been totally fine with it, and you already helped a lot with your other videos. I wasn't my intention to break anyone I swear! ( If it's any consolation, I had a pretty garbage week overall...I guess it was karma for creating these maps haha).

Overall difficulty/use of traps is something I'm really going to have to focus on for future maps. It's been the main point of critique for this set, and it's something I want to get right next time.

@Lerxst_In_Wonderland sorry buddy

Truthfully I did feel like quitting and there was a few times I almost completely rage quit and shut down the game but I still wanted to get through it

but I wanted to still finish the series off and not leave you hanging 

You didn't make me play UV blind or above my pay grade that was my own dumb choice. 

Ultimately I'm still glad I experienced these maps - and I'm not afraid to admit that I'm not good enough for that lol 

And remember this was a blind playthrough so the maps aren't really suited for that they require a bit of a learning curve I think and would be better for people with time to study the maps to play it better

Still these maps are amazing and I hope they get more attention. 

Also I hope your week gets better!

Edited by Clippy

I liked your mapset very much. It has a consistent design that gradually spirals down into hell.

I had no problems to find the way and the combats were fun.

Well done!

So I decided to give these a run using my rpg mod and even though I play in an unorthodox way I just want to say that I like how your maps came out. You utilize stock textures very well and the difficulty is just right. Can't really give you advice because you map better than me.

I intend to record more episodes later. It is my first play through.

@Suitepee, @Loomis Thanks for playing! I appreciate the feedback and the video. I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond I'm glad you liked the set overall.

@Neobis Whoa, this looks really crazy! I never play doom modded, so it always catches me off guard seeing Doom look and play so different. Also, this looks really tough with the mods you're using. Nice job, and thanks for the video!

@Mercury Spade Thanks for the videos! Yeah, these mods seems really crazy. I guess that's the great thing about playing Doom these days. You can kind of play it however you want. Also, I laughed at how you went around planting mines in front of all the monster closets ahead of time haha ;)

9 hours ago, Lerxst_In_Wonderland said:

@Neobis Whoa, this looks really crazy! I never play doom modded, so it always catches me off guard seeing Doom look and play so different. Also, this looks really tough with the mods you're using. Nice job, and thanks for the video!

I am sometimes surprised myself at what you can get out of Doom. Of course, there are many who prefer to play Vanilla, but you should also give the new one a chance. But the honour goes to all the mod creators.

And here are the last 3 maps of your episode. It took a little longer because I'm converting everything to [4K] and only then publishing it. In the end, I have to say that I was very positively surprised by this episode.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:35 PM, Custom Longplay said:

And here are the last 3 maps of your episode. It took a little longer because I'm converting everything to [4K] and only then publishing it. In the end, I have to say that I was very positively surprised by this episode.

[4K60ᶠᵖˢ]

Edited by shibuya