Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacek Nowak (jacnowak)

Make a map in 1 hour & beat the map above you - speedmapping fun thread

OK, I finally updated the list of maps in the OP - we have 46 maps so far :)

I also added the link to the compilation that @NinthBurn made to the OP - thanks again for that!

And yes, I like the name "ohm" for the WAD :)

Edited by jacnowak

@knifeworld (I think you were the last person who posted?) Really fun and hectic map, gaining a foothold was satisfying and the many snipers + the need to conserve rad suits were a nice way of spicing up the opening. The ending was a bit confusing for me, I didn't realize it was a death exit, and a few Archies teleporting in way too late made me think it was a fake-out. Still really good, I like how slaughterish the maps in this thread are becoming.
Would've loved to record a demo of this, but for whatever reason DSDA-Doom didn't like your map.

Map Title: Bang Bang Adult
Specifics: Doom 2, map01, cl 9
Difficulty settings implemented
Music: "King of Blades" by Akari Kaida, sequenced by King Meteor
Custom resources from cc4tex & me
Screenies:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220426_195257.jpg.d3baaa4d0a45a19243458bfb80765f4c.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20220426_195347.jpg.d0841536481fa48268a39c0110cb2f21.jpg

I'm really happy with this one. I wanted to experiment with these sorts of elevated pathways for quite a while, and completely ignored geometric standards & texture alignments while dashing to finish my map. Unfortunately, I did have to spend 30 additional minutes placing monsters and making sure the map is functional.
UV is pretty challenging, the final fight in particular.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tj4hM2Wky7h-e4Ml6-SY8U1PdLbXCk-I/view?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, Yumheart said:

@knifeworld (I think you were the last person who posted?) Really fun and hectic map, gaining a foothold was satisfying and the many snipers + the need to conserve rad suits were a nice way of spicing up the opening. The ending was a bit confusing for me, I didn't realize it was a death exit, and a few Archies teleporting in way too late made me think it was a fake-out. Still really good, I like how slaughterish the maps in this thread are becoming.
Would've loved to record a demo of this, but for whatever reason DSDA-Doom didn't like your map.

Map Title: Bang Bang Adult
Specifics: Doom 2, map01, cl 9
Difficulty settings implemented
Music: "King of Blades" by Akari Kaida, sequenced by King Meteor
Custom resources from cc4tex & me
Screenies:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220426_195257.jpg.d3baaa4d0a45a19243458bfb80765f4c.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20220426_195347.jpg.d0841536481fa48268a39c0110cb2f21.jpg

I'm really happy with this one. I wanted to experiment with these sorts of elevated pathways for quite a while, and completely ignored geometric standards & texture alignments while dashing to finish my map. Unfortunately, I did have to spend 30 additional minutes placing monsters and making sure the map is functional.
UV is pretty challenging, the final fight in particular.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tj4hM2Wky7h-e4Ml6-SY8U1PdLbXCk-I/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!!

In the teleport closet with archies I swapped 6 slow mancubi for a bunch of pinkies, (and shortened the other tele closet too), so monsters arrive faster now once their floor meets the higher one with tele linedefs, moved their floor down a bit so the actual start of the wave is a little later to give some breathing room.
Those changes might make it too easy, not really sure, but it's still a chaotic challenge.
Update: I Love Red Rocks In My Doom - update 260422 2107.zip

Recording a demo should work now, I've included a little UV speed demo with the update to show this.
SLADE 3 currently keeps saving wads as Boom: Doom 2 format instead for some reason, so I need to remember to open em in UDB again every time I add MIDIs or graphics, when I'm not making a boom format map.

Really nice map btw,
noticed 3 missing textures, but still very good stuff
Pics related:

Spoiler

doom372.png.2799ebf3bdd8e1b5b02733fde7f0ccba.pngdoom376.png.28c22a52ff1082fd08ec93ef6b77beb1.png

Alright, so anyone who knows me, knows I love mapping. Since this thread kind of just...stalled a while back, I'd like to perform a little gravedigging and necromancy, and bring it back...at least with the intent to fill the second 32 megawad. Who knows, maybe we do some additional testing and get these uploaded to archive. Who's with me?!

Here is my second submission to this project, just a fun little romp through a techbase. Not meant to be long or difficult.

Name: Everyday I'm Shuffling

IWAD: Doom2, MAP01

Format: Boom (-complevel 9) Tested in GZDOOM 4.8.2 and PRBOOM+ 2.6. 

Music: "Wank City" by Peter Lawrence from Master Levels MIDI Pack
Build Time: 1 hour plus difficulty implementation
Difficulties Implemented
All Vanilla Textures, no custom sky.

Okay, so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention at first, so I ended up playing the last two maps. Here are some unedited playthroughs, so you can watch me die repeatedly. Enjoy!

For you, @knifeworld: (I also realize I misnamed your map ever-so-slightly and beg forgiveness.)

Spoiler

and for you, @Yumheart:

Spoiler

Hah, thanks @Death Bear for digging out this thread! Who knows, maybe it can gain some momentum again :)

I might make another map for this in the next few days if I find an uninterrupted hour of Doom time ;)

Regarding packaging, testing and uploading to the archive - I'm all for that but I won't have time to do it unfortunately. But if we find people willing to do it - that sounds great!

I'm also looking for that uninterrupted Doom time. I was having a lot of fun with this thread! Hopefully I'll get some levels up soon.

6 hours ago, jacnowak said:

Hah, thanks @Death Bear for digging out this thread! Who knows, maybe it can gain some momentum again :)

I might make another map for this in the next few days if I find an uninterrupted hour of Doom time ;)

Regarding packaging, testing and uploading to the archive - I'm all for that but I won't have time to do it unfortunately. But if we find people willing to do it - that sounds great!

I do remember you mentioning that, so I'm more than happy to help when the time comes. 

I had a bit of time to spare today, so I might join in as well!

@Death Bear It seems that I have to play another one of your maps. I guess it's meant to be this way :D

Here's the playthrough:

Spoiler

It is a pretty short and easy map, but I like the details in this one. There's only so much one can do in short amount of time. Definitely enjoyed playing this one.

Now for my map,

Map Name: Fiery Mountain
IWAD: Doom2
Format: MBF21
Textures: 32in24-15_tex_v2 (not included in the attached file!)

Build time: 1 hour 17 minutes + balancing
Music: Sunlust MAP12

If the map seems too hard, try HMP. I have made some tweaks on lower difficulties to make it easier to play.

NOW SHOULD WORK ON MORE SOURCEPORTS. SORRY!

15 hours ago, jacnowak said:

Regarding packaging, testing and uploading to the archive - I'm all for that but I won't have time to do it unfortunately.

I'm still following the thread, so if nobody has anything against it, I can compile the second edition of OHM once we have enough maps. I might start work on this soon.

Spoiler

Had a lot of fun building this one, especially because I haven't been making maps for a while. This map is an old UDMF concept I had before taking a break from mapping, but never bothered to finish it. The main gimmick was supposed to be the Archviles in the middle of the map that have to be dealt with constantly, but without being able to kill them. Due to BOOM/MBF limitations, I couldn't implement this, so I had to rethink how the map would play. Now the Archviles don't have as much of an influence on the flow of the map.
This was made from scratch, nothing has been copy-pasted from my previous map. Both the layout and the setting are also different from the previous iteration.

Fiery Mountain fix.rar

Edited by NinthBurn : fixed

Actually I found some time tonight and I made a WAD for this :)

First, video of @NinthBurn's map:

It's currently uploading so it might take an hour or so before it's available.

I played on HMP (didn't attempt UV, it's a blind run).  I'm a shitty player, sorry ;)

I died a thousand times but I made it in the end (with 100% kills) - after accidentally finding BFG secret the map turned manageable for me ;)

I found 2 secrets, the last 10 minutes or so of the video I'm trying to find the last secret and in the end I IDDT to find it. So you might ignore last 10 minutes of the video.

Here is my map:

Download here:  jlavared.zip

Format: Boom

No custom textures used

Map name: Lava is red

Build time: 1 hour 10 minutes + 40 minutes playtesting and tweaking monster placement

Music: "On a Sea of Lava" by Myrgharok from Ultimate MIDI Pack

Difficulty settings are not implemented but the map should be relatively easy (I'm a shitty player, you know ;)

Screenshot:

etrn34.png.1813ecae0f96029dbb9773004090d459.png

Enjoy!

Edited by jacnowak : added screenshot

Thanks for playing my map! I'm sorry that it was that hard even on HMP, I've tweaked it further after watching this. I think a lot of deaths were caused by the fact that you tried to fight the imps with a super shotgun instead of the rocket launcher. Once you get rid of enough imps, things become more manageable.

One more thing I wanted to mention...   Capture.PNG.96fe126d6f2baec082ca6de8cb99828e.PNG

Spoiler

Yep! I've started compiling the map set. So far we have 17 maps:

Map01: Pacifist Sucks Anyway
Map02: Stairway to Hell
Map03: Furious Bloody
Map04: Foople Flump Fart Fart Fort
Map05: If no ideas, sewers
Map06: Buyan
Map07: So You Started Blasting
Map08: Dictter's Danceoff
Map09: Chainsaw Massacre
Map10: Processing Node
Map11: Takin' No Toll
Map12: UAC was on a Tight Techbase Budget so They Hired a B-Lister For 1 Hour
Map13: I Love Red Rocks In My Doom
Map14: Bang Bang Adult
Map15: Everyday I'm Shuffling
Map 16: Fiery Mountain
Map 17: Lava is Red

I have tested all of these using both GZDOOM and PRBOOM and they seem to work correctly from start to finish. This time around, I think I'll change the order of the maps, since there's such a disparity of difficulty between each other. @BoxY Pacifist Sucks Anyway could use a difficulty rework, at least for HMP and lower.

No worries, to be honest I think most of my deaths were caused by "panic-mode" I got into when I saw so many monsters on the screen at once and so many projectiles flying in the air ;) I don't have experience with slaughtermaps. Additionally, being recorded when playing is still a bit out of my comfort zone (somehow feeling the pressure of playing well which has exact opposite effect than intended :P) so those two things combined contributed to the fact that I didn't stop to think about some strategy, instead I was just running around in panic shooting at random things without thinking much :) I might have another go at your map from start to finish to see if I can do better. I am *slightly* less shit player than you could see in this video ;)

And thanks for working on compiling the map set, that sounds fantastic!

Your map has been beat @jacnowak. Pretty good map for the time that was given to make it. I did die around 3 times but with forethought of where to go, its just like you said, "relatively easy", Although those Archviles at the end where not called for. Playthrough is down below:

Now here's my very small map in comparison: 

Map Name: Convenience Distributor Riot

Download: CDR1H.zip

Format: Limit-Removing

Tested on Crispy Doom 

Midi: "Scent of Hell" by David Shaw from STRAIN 

No custom textures

Build time: 1 hour 3 minutes (+10 minutes playtesting and Bug Fixing)

Screenshot:

Spoiler

272227886_Screenshot(21).png.304029973d6b4b87975af95e2463aeec.png

There are no Difficulty's implemented but its a very short map, so deaths shouldn't be unbearable to deal with.

Edited by PRO-RC

@PRO-RC Fun map! I played like absolute garbage in this vid though, college courses are kicking my butt: 

Spoiler

Here's my submission:

Guess Who's Coming 2 Dinner?

DL: GWC2D.zip

Tested w/ ZDoom and PrBoom+

Midi: waiting for romero to play

Stock textures

Build time: 1 hour (+45 minutes of texturing and messing around with slade3)

Screencap:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220902_223533.png.26f527f40a2f5c61b92cf1b6c9cd20a5.png

2 hours ago, Casketkrusher said:

Pretty impressive how you guys can make a map in 1 hour+. I would need a freaking week lol

Indeed, although I admit the prospect of this time limit is interesting, if only to see what you can throw together in that timespan. Seems to be a great method of practicing too, regardless of the result.

5 hours ago, Casketkrusher said:

Pretty impressive how you guys can make a map in 1 hour+. I would need a freaking week lol 

1-hour speedmaps will often end up simplistic and / or rough around the edges. It's a cool way of seeing what a mapper tends to prioritise, and it's a nice exercise for developing a style and learning how to map more efficiently. Even if your speedmap doesn't end up that great, people usually won't mind playing through it since it's probably gonna be quite short, and the dopamine rush that comes from creating a map is still there c:

15 hours ago, Casketkrusher said:

What I heard was "I think I want to give it a try."
;-)
No pressure, of course. I will say it took me a while to have the confidence to even attempt it but was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. It's mad satisfying for the impatient part of me that doesn't want to wait to see something come together. I've made several since (or even 2-3 hour speedmaps) and it's some of the most fun I have with mapping. Especially when my schedule is crazy. It also helps me experiment with different priorities and develop efficient practices depending on those priorities, kind of like what Yumheart mentioned.

15 hours ago, Casketkrusher said:

Like Yumheart said, speedmaps are often rough around the edges; I know mine is for sure. Normally I would be constantly playtesting whenever I so much as add a monster teleporter, with my perfectionism driving me to revise and nitpick incessantly. A 1-hour speedmap can be challenging, but in my view it's more of an exercise to hone your craft.

1 hour ago, Death Bear said:

What I heard was "I think I want to give it a try."
;-)
No pressure, of course. I will say it took me a while to have the confidence to even attempt it but was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. It's mad satisfying for the impatient part of me that doesn't want to wait to see something come together. I've made several since (or even 2-3 hour speedmaps) and it's some of the most fun I have with mapping. Especially when my schedule is crazy. It also helps me experiment with different priorities and develop efficient practices depending on those priorities, kind of like what Yumheart mentioned.

Actually yes, this definitely took my interest I've never done speedmapping before. So yes, maybe I'll give it a go.

33 minutes ago, Casketkrusher said:

Actually yes, this definitely took my interest I've never done speedmapping before. So yes, maybe I'll give it a go.

That's the spirit, you got this!

@Gothic BoxInteresting map, that revenant trap actually startled me. Sadly, I did not know who was coming to dinner. gwc2ddemo.zip

Here's my map:

Name: Fistful of Steel

Map Format: Boom

Ports Tested: PrBoom+, GZDoom, Eternity Engine

IWAD: Doom 2

Map: MAP01

Music: "Between Levels Remix" by Jay Reichard

Gameplay: Single-play/Coop

Difficulty Settings: No

Multiplayer Placement: No

Build Time: 1 hour

Textures: 32in24-15 tex

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220926_190152.png.b22b43bd0fc98c1590dc6004a683fca3.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220926_190201.png.d61b0929607430f4d7ceb743d7171de5.png

fistfulofsteel.zip

Well, I attempted at getting this thread back on track by posting my map, but it seems that it didn't do much.

This certainly is a neat and fun experiment, at least it is for me and I do want to make more maps for this thread, but I don't want to be the only one who continues to do so.

We're only 12 maps away from completing OHM2 and I'm sure it is possible to reach that goal if people come back to this.

So, I ask this question: Is anyone still willing to make maps for this thread?

Given that my reply was the first and only one after the thread stalled on September 4th, I'm guessing a lot of people who made maps for this simply moved on.

I discovered this thread after it stalled and up until this point my only interactions in this thread were just checking to see if someone posted anything.

I'm sure this concept was getting pretty old for some, so I thought that we could do a spinoff of this thread, something like: make a map using only 10 sectors or make a map with only 300 linedefs, and if that won't do, we could do the same thing like this but with different time limits, such as: make a map in 30 minutes or 2 hours, stuff like that.

I'm just wondering if anyone is still interested in this experiment, OHM2 is on the horizon and finishing it all by myself is very boring.

I think we can complete it together the way it's meant to be. :)

Personally I feel like the experiment ran its course, but hey, if any new blood feels like picking up the ball why not! Atm I have limited mapping time and am simply too knee deep in projects to participate.

I am, I am just trying to finish up 2 speedmapping compilations, as it is. I wanted to see this at least fill the second megawad, which is why I resurrected it.

Well, I already made another map, and I don't feel waiting a week for a playthrough, so I guess I'm gonna make one myself. 

Thread seems to have died again... maybe a bump can help it recover.

@Axuris The map becomes very easy once you find out about the SSG secret, but on my first playthrough I had to clear everything with the Shotgun. I feel like the SSG takes more from the experience than it gives.

Spoiler

I've been very busy as of late with IRL stuff, but not busy enough to stop me from bringing you a new map.

Map Name: Imp Cache
Textures: 32in24-15_tex_v2 (not included in the attached file!)
Build time: 1 hour 9 minutes + balancing
Music: "Amazing Horse", MIDI rendition done by Jamesonnizo
Tested with GZDoom and PRBoom+
If the map seems too hard, try HMP. I have made some tweaks on lower difficulties to make it easier to play.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

I played Heroes of Might and Magic 3 about a week ago, and there's this building called "Imp Cache". After that, the idea just popped into my head: why not make this in Doom? I had many ideas for the map, but there just wasn't enough time to implement all that. I had planned to make a nice outer area surrounding the building and add some details to it, but just as I finish the interior, there's only 3 minutes left. All I ended up with is an embarrasingly ugly outer area, but it can't be helped. I had to abandon the initial plan, which kind of explains the lackluster gameplay.

cache.rar