Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3t0

DECORATE: Multi-sprite composite actors/things

Question

I saw in several mods that monster/thing was being followed by rotating (and shining) sphere/fireball or something like that.

What I would like to know is, whether it is possible to create monster which is composed from multiple sprites, like for example main sprite in the center and two auxiliary sprites on the sides (each having it's own rotation axis as if it was singular monster) - is something like that possible?

3 answers to this question

I don't think that you can have actor composed of multiple sprites.

Those things where a monster is followed by something are achieved by having multiple separate actors. The actor, who is following the main actor usually uses a function like A_Warp to keep the desired distance/position/offset from the main actor.

3 hours ago, 3t0 said:

I saw in several mods that monster/thing was being followed by rotating (and shining) sphere/fireball or something like that.

What I would like to know is, whether it is possible to create monster which is composed from multiple sprites, like for example main sprite in the center and two auxiliary sprites on the sides (each having it's own rotation axis as if it was singular monster) - is something like that possible?

This would basically be done by multiple DECORATE actors. You can always open up the mod and see how they did it.

2 hours ago, jaeden said:

I don't think that you can have actor composed of multiple sprites.

Those things where a monster is followed by something are achieved by having multiple separate actors. The actor, who is following the main actor usually uses a function like A_Warp to keep the desired distance/position/offset from the main actor.

Thank you very much! I will study this function.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

You can always open up the mod and see how they did it.

You are right (and I realized that) but there is slight problem: I played too many wads and cannot remember which ones used these tricks, but thanks anyway. I started taking notes, about stuff like this for cross references.