Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Heretic

Fraggle scripting - legacy specific

If anyone knows any exceptional resource for information on making fragglescripts for a legacy level on my project, then I'd appreciate it. Things Im after are what is possible, some tutorials to leanr more from, examples and most of all the doom specifics that i can relate to - how to trigger objects to do stuff and when.

Use ZDoom. =P

Isn't there a zip file that comes with Legacy (Legacy.doc.zip or something) that has information on fragglescript? I was pretty sure there was.

Two of the html documents that are, by default, put in the LEGACY.DOC subdirectory are relevant: fsbasic.html and fsfuncs.html. The former looks the more appropriate to someone trying to get started, though is not quite what you'd call a tutorial. EDIT: And there are some samples in the Samples subdirectory.

You could try looking in the Legacy forum at newdoom.com.

Grazza said:

Newdoom rules, dammit :)

Mind how you say on these here DW forums! ;)

I post at both sites...but for some reason I've been lurking here more....

probably because hardly anyone over at newdoom plays doom anymore.. :-p shame....

Ya, if you want best results, it is best to goto NewDOOM.com and hit the Legacy forums, the guys there will be a lot of help I am shure! And NO DON"T switch to ZDOOM, it is kool, but already has enough support, Legacy has PLENTY of untapped resources waiting to be exposed.

Oh as for linkz, you can try:

http://darkwolf.slipgate.org/tut/

And of course:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/daewoo/der/

which was mentioned above. I'm shure between the second link and newdoom.com, you'll be able to get it worked out, neither have ever failed me...

thanks guys, and with my programming experience, i learnt fraggle script immensly yesterday as im a fast learner, so Im no longer a beginner :)

So all Im after now is what big things can be done, and optimised methods, and to boost my learning curve, improve on ones I see (I still need them to know what to improve, beats taking time to figure from scratch what has already been done :D )

Im gonna try those links now, thanks all.

Heretic Out

Well before i anser XDelusion, ive ran into trouble already. I hope youve not all gone away. Im using deepsea to edit and save my scripts into my wad, but I can only have one script! Any other I insert (the last one i save into the wad) takes precidence over any before it.

I have a script 0 and a script 1. Both simple scripts - 0 just spawning items and script 1 printing messages when triggered. Script 0 starts at level start (startscript).

And I cant remove scripts ive put in wad, wad viewers done see them. Well, deepsea's lump view displays one of them and only one when i click the map01 list item.

Im stuck, bewildered and frustrated.

These scripts were to test this very problem, and it has arisen.
Help?

You can only have one script lump in each map. I dunno about deepsea, but you can remove the script from the wad by nodebuilding it with BSP or Zennode.

all scripts are handled from the same lump as is the level info..

here's an example on a script. actually, it's the script from map01 in nimrod:
http://www.doomworld.com/unholy/nimrod/map01.txt

Thanks ebola, dam of coourse! One moment of numbness has to occur during developing AND leanring :D

It never occured to me that it should be in one file. That nimrod script, interesting. I remember playing that when it first came out, i was astonished with the atmosphere made by the architecture, the cutscenes were inspiring too :D

I never played a sequel if there was one ;)

D'you mind if i use that script for learning purposes?

Heretic out

xdelusion : I go by The Heretic in newdoom, and im working on a yet unamed project; maybe call it manor house - occured to me before starting. Ive only been workin on it 3 days yet ive got a shit load done, yet brings it to 20% complete. Quite a while off yet.

It's a haunted mansion, you know classic grand stair case (but done better than ive seen, with the broken handrails and carpeting), ornate carved walls, utilising 3d blocks, water, fog, coloured lighting - but im making it special and it's got a hell of a story brewing up, and some real cool effects and occurances that i have spruced up. Oh, but this will be something original and cool.
heh, i thought the speedmapping contest about making a mansion would inspire me, but those kinda wasted my time. If you were lucky enough to play it, Im using the seventh guest as my main source of inspiration, fusing with what my mind can conjour.

I want it to be quiet, with strange goings on more than monsters. Im not set on putting many monsters in. There are clues you find, notes on dressers which you read, and puzzles. Im not using any tech, or any doomish property to it at all, i want it to feel like something else. Words cannot do justice to what I am creating.

My 2 other projects Eye of inferno and Hellmouth are gonna suffer delay because of this i feel, but I gotta do what my mind tells me to do, otherwise it get's displeased. shyea right, but it feels that way.

It's using freedoom IWAD for the doom replcement textures, which i think is vey important because they look better, and then a whole bunch of new textures from different resources (a couple from other wads I plan).

So if you wanna play this, dl freedoom textures to go with it. Suffice to say I was only gonna release this if it would merit worthy, but Im sure it will be. Anyway, ive got more rooms to build before scripting is worth it, but still cool to have tested ones prepared.

As usual with my releases, I'll probrably include a separate movie trailer to go with it, cos i think its good to watch before playing it.

Remember Realm of the green soul for zdoom by lexus alyus? He's doing the music score because Im busy with other aspects, and hes also contributing. This project will actually cost money too, for studio rent for sound engineering and video capture sequences, so Ill be dammed not to release this thing! Lol.

Heretic out

The Heretic said:

Well before i anser XDelusion, ive ran into trouble already. I hope youve not all gone away. Im using deepsea to edit and save my scripts into my wad, but I can only have one script! Any other I insert (the last one i save into the wad) takes precidence over any before it.

As pointed out - Scripts are per level. So in the future if required, you can make a different script for every level. If the "auto naming" is turned on, it's easy to keep track since the FileName+Level name is automatically generated as the script file name.

To remove a script from a map is not obvious, but is once you think about it. Just store an empty text file!

Some utilities remove the script from the level header. I think zennode fixed that though.

thanks deep, this looks more promising now. yes i thought about overwrighting the text file, or saving without group save option, thanks for the sarcky piece of cake. (would lose my flats though)
Hey, and I see no way of sticking custom flats using deepsea, quickly or otherwise. i have wintex for that, nuisance switchin programs. I can do mostly everythin in deepsea though.

The project sounds interesting, and yes I am familiar with 7th Guest, but unfortunatly have not had the pleasure of playing it, I had about 80% of it downloaded once for Sega CD, came back to finish my download, and the dude had taken it off his server. Oh fate, how you taunt me. :/

Anyhow you mentioned VIDEO CAPTURE. So are you taking shots of scultped figures for your enemies or other THINGS, if not textures? If so can you go into a little more detail on what kind of camera you are using, or if not camera video digitizing card, the process you use to mainain quality, and the resolutions you capturing will be done in?

Video Capture is how enemies for DOOM were made in the first place. They built models, and took shots of them, then added extra detail in Paint Shop or what ever. I wanted to approach this method, but my Capture card can only goto a rez of 340,288 or some low crap like that which does not turn out horrible, but could be better.

Anyhow, I look forward to hearing back from ya.

I have done the video capture on my own computer in the past; a large chucky doll my mate owns, and my system hardware was responsible for powering the process; my cut down geforce4. Depends on the software then- adobe photoshop 7 and PSP 7. I will admit, I do not know the ins and outs of what Im undertaking, but I do know it doesnt make a difference. All I need is my design, experience and creativity (and someone to help me work the equipment :) )

It all depends on the capture device, not any digitising hardware (lets call it a 3d card cos it is). Lets face it, It all gets turned into an image, which any ONBAORD vga card can display, so its irrelavant. All I need is decent environment and great cameras to do this. I know not about the studios hardware, but you can bet that will be shit-hot. It's lucky I know people who get me into these places. I have not seen their equipment yet.

The alternative is to use my high range 3d modelling programs, 3d studio max 5, lightwave 7 and bryce 5 (never used bryce).
Simply create 1000 poly count models and screendump my favooured frames one at a time. Rotation and translation is done through vector values, so will be accurate.

Oh as for resolutions, 1024 x 788 is highest(i think thats the standard high one) but I somehow dont think ill be using that res :D
Thats my equipment anyway, with video toaster.

I've probly lost you all by now.

Heretic out.

The Heretic said:

Hey, and I see no way of sticking custom flats using deepsea, quickly or otherwise. i have wintex for that, nuisance switchin programs. I can do mostly everythin in deepsea though.

Easy. As in the other thread about MIDI, use F7 - Merge/Import. Generally this is the main workhorse for putting other resources inside of a PWAD - textures, sounds, music, flats and anything else like MP3, ogg, etc. Doesn't care what the format is nor the filename, nor the lumpname.

Be sure to check the "FLATS" option for FLATS. You also need to add FF_START before the first flat and FF_END at the end. This can all be done in that tool - right side "Insert Lump". Position the listbox to select the insert location, click and type in the name wanted. Then save.

Also rename any lumps to whatever name you want if the default name (1st 8 of filename) is not what you wanted. Same right side.

Everything Wintex does can be done by DeePsea. Plus the graphic tools make creating textures from BMPs a 1-step process.

My slipgate site is down at the moment, but I often answer questions on the Legacy forum. You can also ICQ, AIM, e-mail, etc...

AIM: DarkWolf2b

I hate Winblows and all it stands for from the bottom of my heart, I despise the fact that consumers go for the cheap generic hardware over the more expensive more flexable faster hardware. I hate how the software market has shifted all of there attention to mainly one OS, and I despise the fact that I must live with a world of wanna be computer nerds who claims that Microsloth revolutionized the world and invented stuff like Mulfti-Tasking and the like, I can't even stand Mac users who believe there OS is far superior, when infact MacOS is a rip off of Zerox's work which could not even muti-task in 1984 when Amiga OS was invented and fully capable of multi-tasking with a mere 256k of RAM, and a 7Mhz 68000 CPU.

Ya, I was an Amiga user, but my Amiga got stolen, and emulation at this moment is not worth the effort cause the only good emu is in QNX, which sux. Also at this point all of my interests such as working with Modern Multi-Media files I.E. DIVX, editing DOOM Legacy, composing Music, ect ect ect is not support by Amiga as it has been dead for about 10 years, and has just be revived and must now play catch up on the software support side of things, but ya, I remember a better day...

Thankx for the ICQ # Dark Wolf, I'll add you to my list as well.

How intriguing, who in your bitter speech were you generalising? :D
Things that are made on the amiga stand one hella bigger chance of being portable, Ill tell you that.
Yea multitasking, what the miggy was famous for. Proccessor power went a far way with amiga, probly outperforming these modern day chips due to system and even algotithms.

Dont blow it out of proportion, bloody hell and satan.
I have nothing to add, I can taste sour.

Good your an amiga user....uh...eh? :S :)
im glad you are, but i fear for my future childrens safety due to your enthusiasm :P

Ya, if only people coded like that again. I really wish the new Amiga Inc. the best of luck, perhaps someday the computer industry will reach the age of reason, but then again, look at Cathololicism, or however you spell that, it is 2000 years old and still kickin' yet does not make damn bit of sence, as buying expensive candles from the church, to burn in order to get your dead loves ones into heaven over a course of 12 or more years, is akin to using Microsloth products. :)

Grazza said:

Newdoom rules, dammit :)

*pritch collapses in a messy heap after his sides split