Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NuMetalManiak

Guess the Map! (32nd Super Secret Edition)

Previous editions: 31 (click to fire to the rest)

Congratulations! You found the super secret edition! You better blaze through this one! Haha, get it? Blaze! Because this is what our theme is all about, fire! The 32nd edition takes the iconic word of blaze and will give us maps that are themed around fire in some way or another. Due to it being a special edition, as well as the glory that will come if you do indeed blaze through this one, we're offering much less than the previous edition, with only 10 maps listed below. Following this, later editions will return to regularly scheduled 25 maps. Rules as always:

- Answers MUST be hidden in spoilers, no exceptions. If you don't use the spoiler option, your guesses won't count.

- Assistance is fine if you aren't completely sure about your guess, we're only strict about the first rule.

New hints given on April 2nd.

Answers are revealed on April 6th.

ZI7IVpd.png

Spoiler

Probably the first map to show the "revenant crescent", where revenants are on the inner part of the crescent, and you certainly can't hide from them all.

AL

W4gZRLl.png

Spoiler

Built with the mindset that you MUST speedrun through it to the bottom, or fiery barons on fire will fire you up.

SV

HUPxj75.png

Spoiler

An iconic IWAD level, though not as famous as others, has more arch-viles and spider masterminds than the other levels in the IWAD.

SP

IlqsLyW.png

Spoiler

While it is a quickie in a quickie megawad, trying to find safety in this red flower is impossible.

EA

lhQ1aM3.png

Spoiler

There technically wasn't a limit to the size of the level here, but it is a short level. Plus much of the floor is lava!

MO

VADg3ef.png

Spoiler

Incredibly large and filled with slaughterfests, but it centers around a dark castle.

GO

v4RdHJL.png

Spoiler

After rummaging through techbases and dealing with tons of blue, this sort of feels like an outlier, as it's red. And then you go to more blue after it for the rest of the wad.

RU

8Xv4eCt.png

Spoiler

The last level of a set that required a modified version of the Eternity Engine.

RK

N4qp2Q2.png

Spoiler

A well made Mt. Erebus-style level for an episode replacement.

IN

awkIk6Q.png

Spoiler

Better bring your demon shredder, vorpal blade, soul reaver, wait what? What are these weapons I have been using in this second episode of a GZDoom thing?

EC

Get cracklin'! Blaze a trail! Flare it up! Use Fire Blast!

Edited by NuMetalManiak : ***NEW HINTS ARE HERE***

Recognised on sight.

Spoiler

01 Alien Vendetta MAP29
02 Deus Vult II MAP22
03 Doom2 MAP28
06 New Gothic Movement 1 MAP21
09 Incineration E3M2

Deduced from clues. Maybe guesses, maybe not. Fed up of arguing with conscience. I explain how I found them anyway.

Spoiler

04 Swift Death MAP19

"Quickie megawad" put me in mind of Swift Death, of which I have only played the first map -- I did not feel I had the patience for the rest :). Nonetheless I wondered if either #04 -- or, if not, perhaps #05, another small map that could easily be stuffed with nasty traps -- could be from Swift Death, so I looked through it and found this map in the MAP19 slot.

05 Demonfear MAP19

I filtered the list of /idgames filenames fullsort.gz for those containing "mo". This gave the word "demon", at which point I thought "hmm yes actually it could be Demonfear", a set of small maps that did not have an explicit size restriction. To be fair, before the second clue was added I had looked through Swift Death (see #04) and all three Short Maps For Short People wads for this map, obviously without success.

07 Struggle: Antaresian Legacy MAP31

This one is obviously "modern" (<5-10 years old), not from Sunlust but in a similar style, but I could not think of any that matched the colour clue. After the second clue was added, as above I filtered fullsort.gz by "ru" and saw "struggle.zip". While this turned out to be Castle Struggle by Lorenz0, not Struggle: Antaresian Legacy (whose filename turned out to be strg.zip), the name still reminded me of the latter, screenshots of which I recalled had a prominently light blue and gold theme. So I went along with the hunch, and it turned out to be MAP31.

08 Caverns of Darkness MAP10

There was only ever one wad that required a modified version of the Eternity Engine. I looked through it to find MAP10.

10 Demon Eclipse MAP12

The wad was the first result of a Doomwiki search for "vorpal blade". I looked through it to find MAP12.

Edited by RjY

no hints

Spoiler

1 Alien Vendetta MAP29

hints

Spoiler

3 Spirit World , MAP28

8 Caverns of Darkness MAP10 (I guessed properly without hints, wow, but I wasn't sure at all)

Spoiler

1. Alien Vendetta MAP29: "Revenant crescent" gave this to me.

2. Deus Vult II MAP22: I've hardly played any of DV2 but this concept stood out to me from what I've played.

3. Doom II MAP28: This one came easily as soon as I knew it was an IWAD map.

7. Struggle - Antaresian Legacy MAP31 (15B): A red outlier in a sea of techbases, I knew what you were taking about even before the mention of all the blue.

I actually knew a decent amount of these this time (relative to how many there were in total). Not by sight, but they came to my mind right away after reading the hints (even just part of the hint).

Edited by Shepardus

Spoiler

01. Alien Vendetta MAP29

02. oh yea, the Deus Vult II map, hold up... MAP22

03. Doom II MAP28

04. I feel like it could be a Benjogami's map in Down the Drain, or, a Swift Death map, if memory serves (from watching streams not too long ago) I'm inclined to the latter...

05. one of Demonfear's map was exactly like the image and hint describe, lemme just... MAP19 yup

06. Newgothic Movement 1 MAP21 

07. mmmmm

08. a wha

09. dammit

10. what in the name of the lord, Faithless???

half is decent

I used hints because I always suck at these.

Spoiler

Map 03. The spirit world
Map 07.  Map 15B of Struggle
Map 08.  Heartland map 07

Rest of them idk.

I still think out loud that I should try on the earlier editions by myself to see if I had fared better in them. But at least this iteration there's something I needed hints to answer:

Spoiler

03. Without the hint this didn't look so familiar, but with the hint it is obvious. Like, of course it is Doom 2's MAP28: The Spirit World.

07. No clue, but could it be the Antaresian Struggle thing? I remember seeing videos on it and it having a lot of blue levels. Could there have been a red also?

08.  The only mapset I know of that requires Eternity Engine is Heartland, and I haven't even played that so I wouldn't know which map is it, even if I guessed the wad right.

Edited by RHhe82 : A couple of missing words added :P

Without hints:

Spoiler

1. Alien Vendetta Map29

3. Doom II Map28

8. Caverns of Darkness Map10

With hints:

Spoiler

2. Deus Vult 2 Map22

5. Demonfear Map19

10. Demon Eclipse, second idgames release (maybe later versions too but the only one I have is E1 only) map12

Spoiler

1. -

2. -

3. Doom II, MAP28: The Spirit World

4. -

5. -

6. -

7. -

8. -

9. -

10. -

Without hints

With hints

Spoiler

1. -

2. -

3. Doom II, MAP28: The Spirit World

4. -

5. -

6. -

7. -

8. -

9. -

10. -

Getting better at these

The new hints have been added. Due to this being a special round of only 10 maps shown, there is only ONE new hint each, and it's going to be a two-letter hint for the WAD (or in one case, the actual map name). Not that that might stop some people from guessing correctly (in fact I think we've had correct guesses for all maps so far, so for those who missed out on several well you have some chance to redeem yourselves). This is just for this round only.

I recognized two on sight, unexpectedly high.  I'm not expecting or intending to maintain this sort of record.

Spoiler

1. Alien Vendetta map 29  Used hint.  Funny enough was looking at a different one before this wondering "could this be AV 29?"

2. Deus Vult 2 map 22

3. Doom 2 map 28

Spoiler
  1. -
  2. -
  3. Doom II, MAP28: Spirit World
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -

Damn

Spoiler

04. Swift Death indeed, the map was red and had perched archviles, barons, (maybe) mancubi... it's MAP19

07. mmm, Struggle? I am remembering red inserted between blue, gotta look up the slot though... aha! it is no other than MAP31

08. something with "dark" I guess

09. absolutely no idea (EDIT: fuck me, the amount of times I thought of Incineration, even did my research yet I omitted looking at the earlier maps....)

10. mm, it is called "Demon Eclipse", but don't count it

Another round is over with, and it seems like with 10 maps, there were gonna be some who got them all. Let's see what we got.

1. MAP29 Fire Walk With Me from Alien Vendetta (RjY, vdgg, Shepardus, galileo, SiFi, CNR)

2. MAP22 You Shall Not Pass! from Deus Vult II (RjY, Shepardus, galileo, FloatRand, CNR)

3. MAP28 The Spirit World from Doom II (basically everyone)

4. MAP19 Rose Inferno from Swift Death (RjY, FloatRand, galileo)

5. MAP19 Flood of Fire from Demonfear (RjY, galileo, SiFi)

6. MAP21 from Newgothic Movement I (RjY, galileo)

7. MAP31 Scorching Flames from Struggle (RjY, Shepardus, Astronomical, FloatRand, Deadwing, galileo, RHhe wad guess)

8. MAP10 Caverns of Darkness from Caverns of Darkness (RjY, vdgg, SiFi)

9. E3M2 Torture Town from Incineration (RjY, pcorf)

10. MAP12 The Hellforge from Demon Eclipse (RjY, SiFi, galileo wad guess)

Told y'all there's be some fire here. But now we shall return to the regular scheduled program of 25 maps per, at the next possible convenience whenever whereever whoever however whyever whatever that may be.