Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

APOCACLIPS - full 32 map limit removing megawad made in 3 days - now on ID Games

All right I'm very happy I was able to beat this saveless. It's definitely scary and way more hard than I intended as a difficulty Spike here lol. Speed build right 

I found this a few days ago and I've been having a blast with it! Thanks for sharing. Nothing else really to add. For this wad I mostly play a map until I can beat it once saveless/deathless before moving on but MAP19 is doing my head in! So I've checked out a few later maps and beat a couple saveless too. Good job mate!

10 hours ago, HackNeyed said:

I found this a few days ago and I've been having a blast with it! Thanks for sharing. Nothing else really to add. For this wad I mostly play a map until I can beat it once saveless/deathless before moving on but MAP19 is doing my head in! So I've checked out a few later maps and beat a couple saveless too. Good job mate!

Thanks I am so glad to hear you are having fun with my crazy speedmap session - as for 19 it is a tricky one- scroll up to see a fun video @ryiron made showing a cool way to beat it :)

4 hours ago, ClumsyWizard said:

I want to do silly puzzle.

Can I just have the old map 20?

I don't really consider it a puzzle, I thought I indicated the process good enough but it still went over ppl's head. My new version adds more symbolism and hints but it's still not coming across well. I had to dig but found the original cut I think - it has bugs tho but the original 20 is there - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1adD-vLYxmjDfS9TDRPyJuBHnhG4g_aXu/view?usp=sharing

In the meantime I just recorded map 16 - I will get to 19 eventually and the rest - trying to beat them all saveless pistol starts myself:

another video demoing the insane map 17 - only a chaingun and shotgun here - good luck!

On 4/2/2022 at 1:37 PM, Clippy said:

The source port wars will never end 😭🥀

gzdoocrisprboom+dosbdoom is better than moodbsod+moobrpsircoodzg

Edited by Paf

20 hours ago, Red Recluse said:

Reality fun look like well done.

Thanks it was built super fast so looks crude but I tried to make it an enjoyable playable experience

19 hours ago, Paf said:

gzdoocrisprboom+dosbdoom is better than moodbsod+moobrpsircoodzg basically sums up the sourceport-wars

Source port wars amirite 

21 minutes ago, Doomdude89 said:

Fun maps tell me whats the secret in map13 D:

As seen in my video you just walk ahead and it counts as a  Secret. You may also be playing an old version. Because Of the fast build I had to sneak in some fixes lol.  And also because of the fast build not all secrets are worth while some are just obvious sectors you step on

Yeah i just smashed the use key every time i died there thus didnt ending the level. Threw me nuts that i couldnt figure it out. The key was simple "patience" :D

1 minute ago, Doomdude89 said:

Yeah i just smashed the use key every time i died there thus didnt ending the level. Threw me nuts that i couldnt figure it out. The key was simple "patience" :D

Dang I was worried that could happen - glad you got through it lol sorry

also

@ryiron I beat the applebees r u proud of me?

On 4/23/2022 at 7:57 AM, Clippy said:

@ryiron I beat the applebees r u proud of me?

Yeah. Nice work on telefragging the cyberdemon. I got stuck chasing him all over the place.

I played maps 20 - 25:

Map20: I kinda like this one. I was going to try to mostly tyson my way through it, but got a bit lazy in the second half. That and my punching skills were a bit off this morning. Leading cause of death in this map is accidentally backpedalling into a bad teleporter.

Map21: This one is a bit strange. The only tricky bit is the two archviles at the start. The rest of the map mostly just plays itself via in-fighting :-).

Map22: On my first attempt I failed to trigger the death exit. Got it right on the second go. The map title is pretty apt I think.

Map23: I like the gimmick. It would work quite well in as combat encounter within a larger map. I did mess around a bit trying to find alternate (read silly) ways to beat this map, but couldn't come up with anything.

Map24: Pretty straight-forward: hold fire, win map.

Map25: Fun little BFG spam fest.

I noticed that the dehacked lump doesn't appear to work with dsda-doom for the map names. Maybe missing doom version/patch format settings?

Also. Clippy, you doing ok buddy? These maps are getting weird. Maybe get some sleep or something :-).

Playlist:

@ryiron thanks for playing!!

The video is great - love the way you provoke infighting at the beginning, the berserk play, luring out the baron to kill sole Archie - you beat it faster than I did lol - great - also isn't it scarier and scarier to step on a portal as you go on? Like don't want to screw it up at the end right

yeah I am unclear how to add map names to the midscreens - some CLIV stuff - not my wheelhouse

and yes these maps get crude - 3 day build I had to do quick crazy stuff to make it happen

As for 21 - here is a preview of a vid I will make public later - for now want my new step map to be last video

good times

Map 26: This is a bit slow to play since you want to lure everything out into the centre. It's easy to get trapped in the buildings by infinite height monsters. Once you get the rocket launcher and some rockets the map is pretty straight forward. A berserk pack would make the opening a bit more fun :-).

Map 27: Who doesn't love rocketing revenant hordes? I don't think the gimmick works as well in this map as in triangles bad.

Map 28: Yay, platforming. I maybe missed something, but I didn't see how it was possible to get the keys without finding the secrets?

Map 29: This map was lots of fun. The floor is actually the most dangerous thing in the map since it slowly chips down your health, and the megaspheres can be tricky to reach once the mob gets out of control. It all makes for a fun, interesting challenge. My playing was a bit messy on this, caught way too many stray rockets. There's plenty of health though.

I haven't done a UV-Max of map30 yet. I played it a bit, but it feels very RNG. I can get the start semi-consistently, and you can cheese the shotgunners/archvile by luring them to where the blue armor is. The cyberdemon is a complete hassle though. It doesn't seem fun to shotgun him to death in the tight corridors, and running past him for the red key risks him just standing in the doorway like a jerk when you try to leave.

Anyway, added maps26-29 to the playlist:

10 hours ago, ryiron said:

Map 26: This is a bit slow to play since you want to lure everything out into the centre. It's easy to get trapped in the buildings by infinite height monsters. Once you get the rocket launcher and some rockets the map is pretty straight forward. A berserk pack would make the opening a bit more fun :-).

Map 27: Who doesn't love rocketing revenant hordes? I don't think the gimmick works as well in this map as in triangles bad.

Map 28: Yay, platforming. I maybe missed something, but I didn't see how it was possible to get the keys without finding the secrets?

Map 29: This map was lots of fun. The floor is actually the most dangerous thing in the map since it slowly chips down your health, and the megaspheres can be tricky to reach once the mob gets out of control. It all makes for a fun, interesting challenge. My playing was a bit messy on this, caught way too many stray rockets. There's plenty of health though.

I haven't done a UV-Max of map30 yet. I played it a bit, but it feels very RNG. I can get the start semi-consistently, and you can cheese the shotgunners/archvile by luring them to where the blue armor is. The cyberdemon is a complete hassle though. It doesn't seem fun to shotgun him to death in the tight corridors, and running past him for the red key risks him just standing in the doorway like a jerk when you try to leave.

Anyway, added maps26-29 to the playlist:

Thanks for playing man - I left comments on your vids up to 25 - will watch rest later

26 - my plan was for the player to herd the monsters around so they can slowly break into the buildings - thought it would be interesting anywayhahha- I did give a chainsaw cause I felt I neglected it through the series hmmm yeah - lots of ammo here once you do break into places

thanks for your comments on the rest - not much to say - 27 I had fun designing that one -- 28 there is helpful secrets but without it I know it's a super pain in the butt -- but possible to do secretless - tricky playforming - 29 was a quick crude semi finale haha

30 - it is possible but this level scared me - there is an entirely different method to dispose of the cyber - I can give hints if you like but look around and use the environment to your advantage - good times

will wach rest of your vids and comment on them

in meantime here is 22

12 hours ago, Clippy said:

30 - it is possible but this level scared me - there is an entirely different method to dispose of the cyber - I can give hints if you like but look around and use the environment to your advantage - good times

Oh, okay then :-). It's actually not too bad. The start is the most annoying bit, since the archviles can just flank you. Ideally you want to take two of them out in a single BFG shot (I had one attempt where I got all three in one shot) and punch the last one. The cyberdemon can also be a hassle if you can't nicely distract him to get past. But once he is dealt with the map isn't too hard, it's just lots of slow mowing down enemies.

I may still try out the secret maps, but favourites of the set are:

map03: I like the aesthetic in this one and the way the map slowly opens up. Kinda has an oldschool feel to it.

map06: Cool concept, with a couple of different possible approaches.

map09: Fun little mini-slaughter map.

map14: This one is just fun to let everything loose in.

map15: It's tough, but I think it's a fair challenge. I do like me some close quarters combat.

map20: Interesting concept and a bit of strategy to this one. 

map25: BFG spamming is always fun.

map29: I like the combination of the damaging floor, risky to grab megaspheres, initial lack of ammo, and mini-slaughter elements.

Here's map30:

Heh, so I gave map32 a go. I found an, umm, "strategy" for it. I accidentally fell off the tower before I intended to, but you get the idea. Sorry (not sorry).

@ryiron this was nice - thanks so  much - watched all your vids and loved em - left comments on utoob

ya map 30 had to end with a bang, and often like I seem to do I put the hardest stuff at the start - imagine how stressful that would been if the map was laid out backjwards

er yeha

re other comments - map 3 turned out delightfully well considering how sloppy I got lol - I did have a little m ore energy in the first half which I think is lightyears better than the latter half . Glad ppl like map 6 cause I hate it, legit I hate it so much lol - like to almost scrap it hate it. tweeked it too many timed too. map 9 seems like a nice break after carls cafe eh. not fond of 14 either but cool ppl like it - 15 I think is my best map in the set - I worked a little harder on it - but still all copy and paste stuff. 20 is my map that really divides ppl - love it or hate it and was not at all intuitive as I had hoped. If u liked map 29 you may like the original Bludgeonator II - just like star wars the numbering makes no sense

thanks again man

to avoid spamming I'll share my next two reveal vids - one is still cooking

Figured I need to round out the set. Map31 is pretty brutal. I'm not very good at archvile jumping to start with, but the start is tricky because you can get targeted from multiple angles causing you to get thrown off track. The archviles on top of the shoe you are trying to jump on to are the worst since they push you backwards. I was also pretty mad when I finally made the jump on to the platform with the secret switch, only to get rocketed off it. Once you can get rid of a few of the viles, the cyberdemon, and the irritating zombiemen it gets a bit easier. I leave just one vile to get both the blue and red keys. The red key jump is pretty tricky with this setup, but there's enough megaspheres to try it a bunch of times.

Good luck with the one Clippy.

@ryiron amazing - thank you so much!! Impressive vid man - and inspirational to me as this map scares the hell out of me and I want to do a saveless promo of them all haha - it seems like you kept the wrong Archie alive to pull off a red key jump but got it anyhow - incredible!

Things are looking good now - tested plenty and once I get my runs done it's off to ID games!

Here is more vids - 6 more to go

3 more - hopefully I can finish the journey and make it to ID games but I'm still sick and messed up lol

what a time

@ryiron I did it! I actually did it!

I was really worried I couldn't do it but I did it!

And the whole time Nymeria was on my lap!!

image.png

Good news everyone! I beat em all saveless!

now I can send it to ID games

thanks everyone for your time and interest

Nice work clippy! Especially on maps 30 and 31. I like your video for map30. It's cool to hear someone's reaction to beating a tricky map saveless, and also to see how their play style changes as when they don't want to screw up a run that is going well.

BTW, you should give map31 a go in a vanilla/prboom based port. Archvile jumping is a bit different I think. They technique of hugging the wall and edging forward in the air doesn't really work in source ports with vanilla compatible gameplay. You need to get momentum on the ground first before getting zapped, so you need a short run up. It's why I kill a bunch of the viles early, so they don't bounce me all over the place when trying to do the run ups.

18 minutes ago, ryiron said:

Nice work clippy! Especially on maps 30 and 31. I like your video for map30. It's cool to hear someone's reaction to beating a tricky map saveless, and also to see how their play style changes as when they don't want to screw up a run that is going well.

BTW, you should give map31 a go in a vanilla/prboom based port. Archvile jumping is a bit different I think. They technique of hugging the wall and edging forward in the air doesn't really work in source ports with vanilla compatible gameplay. You need to get momentum on the ground first before getting zapped, so you need a short run up. It's why I kill a bunch of the viles early, so they don't bounce me all over the place when trying to do the run ups.

Thanks - glad you enjoyed map 30. It was stressful and invigorating to pull off right alongside 15. I always freak out trying to do things saveless. You may also look for my scythe videos where I try to do the same thing. But blind runs! 

As for 31 yea - I never really made a map with required jumping like this before and im learning more and more about the differences in ports. Like with hit area punching etc . At least it still can be beaten and hopefully without too much extra hardship. 

Thanks again for all your time spend with this project 😄

You can put "tested with dsda-doom" in the text file since that's what i played through all the maps with.

24 minutes ago, ryiron said:

You can put "tested with dsda-doom" in the text file since that's what i played through all the maps with.

One step ahead of ya haha. Submitted as such and emailed them a heads up. Makes things faster. Thanks again!🎉