Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Faceman2000

Death Exit Episode 1 RELEASED - 7 limit-removing maps for mapinfo ports

Looks like its going to be a nice vanillaesque treat to play.

@ScrappyMcDoogerton Dude, no every megawad has to be "Ancient Age of Elementalism Eviternity X"

Spoiler

The actual map 2 looks pretty good so far. There are plenty of HOMs but I guess it's not finished yet.

3 minutes ago, Gothic said:
  Hide contents

The actual map 2 looks pretty good so far. There are plenty of HOMs but I guess it's not finished yet.

Spoiler

Yeah, that map is still a work in progress and I’ve had a hard time making the gimmick work cleanly. I thought I’d stamped most of them out but this doesn’t surprise me since any time I change anything it seems to make more. Thanks for checking it out!

Marvelous! Although you might want to tone down the pop-up monsters a little. Like others said, a few HOM's here and there, but still some solid stuff! Really enjoyed the spire on MAP 20, best vanilla Doom one I've seen!

Nice.

Are you already working on a UMAPINFO for this WAD so that the same MAPINFO stuff can be experienced in demo-compatible ports like PrBoom+ and Woof?

Hey all, I hope everyone who played the mapset got a good chuckle out of it. Or at the very least wasn't too mad I'd wasted their time. I've updated the first post with an accurate look at what this project is and where it's at, and there's a link to the first two maps if you want to test them out. Map02 has had some significant bugfixes done to it since the April 1st release as a secret map.

Just a quick update to let y'all know that progress continues:

Map04 is 95% done - just needs some gameplay tuning and a couple secrets messed with, but it's otherwise good to go. Map03 is taking a little longer, but is shaping up well. The northern hallway there needs a lot of work still and I haven't started on the southeast corner yet, plus there's a lot of texture work to be done. I've also been working a fair bit on the wads first secret level, but I'm not ready to show that off quite yet. Maps 05, 06, and 07 all have solid starts but are less than 50% done so not worth showing off yet.

Map previews:

Spoiler

Map03.png.c7b6c37cbc4af286abf5d51f34f4df2d.pngMap04.png.35fb9e7e8d9f49ba60c23ffcfca723ab.png

I'll be sure to update the link up top with the new maps once I'm satisfied with Map03. Progress has been slow and will likely only get slower as my baby girl gets older, but I wanted to let people know what was going on. I also might have to make a version of Map02 without the sinking gimmick - I can't get it to work in BethesDoom and that's the lowest level of compatibility I'm aiming for. Luckily, with MAPINFO I might be able to make it load a different version of the level depending on which source port people are using.

Hey, sorry for the late response! Thank you so much for playing and I'm glad you enjoyed them. The video was also very helpful, thank you for taking the time to record it and share it here!

Did you notice any bugs or were there any frustrating combat or progression issues that you found? I've tried to make the progression pretty straightforward and avoid any BS combat, but it's hard to judge objectively as the designer haha.

Have yet to play but found an issue and a fix. Crashes with both dsda-doom and prboom+. R_texturenumforname: SKY3 not found. Using doom 1 textures in doom 2 seems to confuse those ports. At least I'm assuming that's the issue. Adding a SKY3 entry into TEXTURE1 resolves it. I just made a copy of the SKY2 entry and renamed it SKY3 so you could do something like that as a placeholder if you don't have a planned SKY3 yet.  

Oh shoot, I was aware of that issue and thought I’d fixed it before releasing here. I’ll have a corrected version live shortly. Thanks!

If the player falls into this corner in map 02 they will be softlocked:

Spoiler

ObfqJ7V.pngoQsIR8N.png

Map 03 could really use an ssg there may be a secret one but if the player doesn't find it not having one really makes the map drag as there are a lot of mid-tier demons to shotgun.

Hello all! I appreciate your patience - this has taken a while longer than I had intended. RC1 of Episode 1 should be releasing this weekend! I’m putting the final touches in now, and I’m quite excited to share it with you all!

Episode 1 is released! Oh man, it feels so good to finally be able to put this out there. Please give it a play and let me know what you think! Maps range around ten to twenty minutes of playtime, except map05 which is closer to forty minutes to an hour.

I hope you all enjoy! Let's hope I can get E2 out the door a little quicker!