Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Jägermörder 1 & 2!

April, 2022

dmdjm0101.png 

(pic credits - onemandoom blog)

The yearly leader board

Standard Leaderboard

1. [1] SURVIVED (26:02): Bdubzzz - Last to post, first to exit, second month running. "Almost died" seems like an euphemism now.
  2. [1] SURVIVED (34:55): LadyMistDragon - How's THAT for a comeback? Both from March and the end of MAP01. Must-watch.
  3. [1] SURVIVED (37:22): ginc - Makes a mockery out of the final trap and proves their March pace was no fluke.
  4. [2] SURVIVED (37:25): NaZa - Sniffing a first survival in forever almost got to me in the end. Key word: almost. Whew.
  5. [1] SURVIVED (38:55): KirieNatsuyuko - Punching a pain elemental is risky, but it can pay off. No ammo spared while surviving.
  6. [1] SURVIVED (41:01): Pseudonaut - My heart sank watching the end of Chemical Lab. Just shows perseverance is key. 
  7. [1] SURVIVED (41:21): Maribo - First competitor to squeeze their way into net a second green this year.
  8. [1] SURVIVED (45:52): DisgruntledPorcupine - Very glad to see new survivors this month. Helps shake it up, y'know. Nicely done!
  9. [1] SURVIVED (48:16): Vince Vega - Saves the big guns and ingeniously notices a window. Long time since last green, too!
  10. [1] SURVIVED (53:02): Peccatum Mihzamiz - Oh, I've seen a happy dance of yours on MAP01 as well :) Good job!
  11. [2] 99%: UncleTito - Does everything right and then careens into a baron fireball. Was on for a great finish, too.
  12. [1] 98%: Suitepee - "Not dying to you today!"... and he technically didn't.
  13. [1] 98%: sandwedge - Aaargh, so close!! At least went for it No Guts, No Glory style. One day there will be glory.
  14. [1] 98%: Andromeda - Leaves the (cyber)demon to his (baron)demons and rests their own soul. There was nothing else.
  15. [1] 97%: Anima Zero - How's that one saying go - fortune favours the brave? :^)
  16. [1] 97%: Austinado - INCREDIBLE clutch at the end of Chemical Lab; tragically, doesn't end in the way Pseudonaut's ended.
  17. [1] 96%: Beginner - Restores balance to the force by killing their killer.
  18. [1] 94%: a.7.MAD - Paramagnetism - I do think the cyberdemon is magnetic. Trying to narrowly bypass it only pulls you closer.
  19. [1] 94%: cannonball - Successfully navigates a slalom of barons only to turn back around and accept his predestined fate.
  20. [1] 85%: NightTerror - "10 seconds" away from an incredibly fulfilling and entertaining finish, NightTerror decides to go back up.
  21. [1] 51%: PasokonDeacon - Curious death considering arachnotrons' movement is among the loudest noises in Doom. (-cl 21)
  22. [1] 29%: AxeL - Got cornered and probably blamed for inverse necrophilia not long after.
  23. [2] 23%: ClumsyCryptid - The switch did not look good indeed. Pulling through that would've been a memorable moment...
  24. [1] 23%: Shepardus - Sees hitscanners. Sees bars lowering. Decided SSG is a better option. Oh, the tragedy...
  25. [2] 18%: SiFi270 - Quite a lot of pistol action! The end of this run is basically what a Perish Song in real life would look like. (DNF) 
  26. [1] 18%: dt_ - Well, that's among the most comfortable MAP01 finishes so far... followed up by- (DNF)
  27. [1] 15%: BoxY - By the time BoxY grabbed the SSG, the Jäger was already on his way to mörder.
  28. [1] 9%: PsychEyeball - The revenant shot first.
  29. [1] 9%: SuyaSS - That's just absolutely painful timing. Especially after winning that blissful peekaboo with the revenant.
  30. [1] 9%: head_cannon - Riddled with bullets, not questions, and boned by the quickest revenant on a 100m trek.
  31. [1] 7%: mhrz - Live fast, die young. Those two minutes went by quickly. Entertaining watch at least.
  32. [1] 7%: Spendoragon - Boned. 
  33. [1] 7%: Pegleg - Clumsily charges at a sergeant. Whether dropping into the nukage was penance or not is open to interpretation.
  34. [1] 7%: SilentD00mer - Did not take a leap of faith after taking the blue key - revenants later leaped onto SilentD00mer instead.
  35. [1] 7%: NoisyVelvet - That's divine punishment for avoiding the hell knight!

Prepared Leaderboard

1. [#] SURVIVED (4:26): Maribo - To glide or not to glide, that is the question. Looking at Maribo, though, there is a definitive answer.
  2. [#] SURVIVED (27:39): UncleTito - So now we have a UV-Speed and a UV-Max run on here. That's cool, liking the variety.
  3. [#] SURVIVED (43:37): SiFi270 - It's rare to see such a fan of the pump shotgun, but it's delightful to see it pay off. [ also thinks so. ;)

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In April 2022 the DWIronman League dies to Jägermörder 1 (Chemical Lab) and Jägermörder 2 (Terra Nova) (-complevel 9) by @Afterglow. After a tough three months that saw 4 survivals out of 96 attempts, this month should present as a bit of a reward for persevering; a calm after the storm, if you will. These two maps do not have a reputation for being difficult, but rather quaint romps with beautiful detailing, as one would expect. Jägermörder 1 was among the Top 100 Doom WADs, while Jägermörder 2 received a Cacoward in 2005. I also personally expect to see a lot of green in the leaderboard come the end of this month.

Also, as promised, this will be a month in which we trial the new kill count system discussed in last month's thread. prBoom+ users won't need to change anything to the command line, while (G)ZDoom users will just have to launch one additional .pk3 linked below alongside Dmdjm01.wad and dmdjm02.wad. As this is a month where kills are counted unless you survive both maps, it should present as a nice experiment, I think.

Well, let's get down to business, then.

Essential Info

• Doom II: Hell on Earth (doom2.wad)
  • Compatibility level 9, or "Boom (strict)" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • Time estimate: 30-60 minutes
  • 2 maps played in order, ie 1 --> 2. You are required to load both WADs at the same time. IF YOU DIE ON MAP01, YOU DO NOT PLAY MAP02.
  • (G)ZDOOM USERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO LOAD THE .PK3 FILE THAT @ginc SHARED IN ESSENTIAL INFO. (MORE IN THE POST BELOW)
  • Streamers should also make sure that the monster count is displayed in the HUD at all times. Below, you'll find a helper WAD made in Sep 2018 for that purpose.

> Download Jägermörder 1: Chemical Lab

> Download Jägermörder 2: Terra Nova

> Download HexaDoken's HUD monster count .wad (streamers only)

> Download ginc's .pk3 ([G]ZDoom users only, LOAD IT LAST!!!)

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Dmdjm01.wad dmdjm02.wad -complevel 9 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp -warp

Rules:

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Hide contents

Spoiler

07 - Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)

08 - Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)

09 - Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: WH-Wilou84)

11 - Perdition's Gate (winner: WH-Wilou84)

12 - UAC Ultra (winner: PjSpartacus)

Spoiler

01 - Jade Earth (winner: Demon of the Well)

02 - Legacy of Heroes (winner: Roofi)

03 - Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

04 - Mapgame (winner: ClonedPickle)

05 - Vae Vactus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

06 - Disturbia (winner: Ancalagon)

07 - Insertion (winner: Veinen)

08 - Unholy Realms (winner: Demon of the Well)

09 - Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)

10 - Endgame & Endpoint (winner: Veinen)

11 - Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

12 - Doom the Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Spoiler

01 - Combat Shock 2 (winner: Killer5)

02 - Coffee Break E1 (winner: Eris)

03 - Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)

04 - 50 Monsters (winner: WH-Wilou84)

05 - Double Impact (winner: RjY)

06 - Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)

07 - The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)

08 - The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Zero-Master)

09 - Community Chest 4 - MAP19: Interstellar Sickness and MAP20: Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)

10 - Doom 64 for Doom II (winner: Roofi)

11 - TNT: Renascence & TNT: Resistance (winner: an_mutt)

12 - Ultimate Doom the Way id Did (winner: an_mutt)

Spoiler

01 - Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Beginner)

02 - THT: Threnody - MAP10: Fomalhaut (winner: Scotty)

03 - Stardate 20X6 (winner: WH-Wilou84)

04 - Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Vince Vega)

05 - The DWIronman League died waiting for SIGIL (winner: John Romero)

06 - SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

07 - Vanguard & Lunatic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - 2017 Collection (winner: an_mutt - prep winner: Vince Vega)

09 - Revolution! (winner: NaZa - prep winner: Pegleg)

10 - Monster Hunter Part I & Part II (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

11 - Abcess (winner: Demon of the Well - prep winner: Steve D?)

12 - Scythe (winner: Spectre01 - prep winner: Arbys550)

Spoiler

01 - Hellscape (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Archi)

02 - No Sleep for the Dead (winner: Ancalagon - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Baker's Dozen (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

04 - Occult Secrets of the Third Reich & Biotech is Godzilla (winner: joe-ilya - prep winner: Horus)

05 - Bloody Rust (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: dt_)

06 - Vrack 1, 2 and 3 (winner: ReaperAA - prep winner: Bashe)

07 - Running Late 2 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Pegleg)

08 - Epic (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Daerik)

09 - Hell Revealed (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

10 - Dark Resolution 2008 (winner: Roofi - prep winner: Austinado)

11 - 2002: A Doom Odyssey: 10th Anniversary Edition Episode 3 (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Pegleg)

12 - Eviternity (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Pegleg)

Spoiler

01 - Sawdust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: an_mutt)

02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist - prep winner: Anima Zero)

03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)

04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)

05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)

06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)

07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550 - prep winner: an_mutt)

08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner - prep winner: Suitepee)

09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01 - prep winner: an_mutt)

10 - Glaive & Glaive 2 (winner: Veinen - prep winner: Tezur0)

11 - Sunlust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: nobody)

12 - H2H-XMas (winner: Daerik - prep winner: 4shockblast)

Spoiler

01 - Realm of Shades (winner: mhrz - prep winner: Pegleg)

02 - Return to Hadron E1 (winner: NightTerror - prep winner: Maribo)

03 - Syringe (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: SCF)

Edited by NaZa : display name update

Hopefully there's nothing wrong with this month's trial of a new thing. Be sure to give it a read and we'll see if in the future it's a good way to go. As we're still rotating host duties, it also depends on each host's personal opinion. Mine is that it's worth a try.

Anyway, @Bdubzzz coming in on the 25th hour and snatching a victory is as tense as you can get with the final results - congratulations on the victory! Been a long time coming but it's good to see you back on the winner's list. @Beginner and Pseudonaut also delivered marked performances. Hoping to see more of that this year.

Yearly board also updated. @mhrz still holds the lead, albeit @Maribo and Bdubzzz are closing in with haste. It will also be interesting to see if @BoxY and @NoisyVelvet will bounce back this month. Honourable mentions to @Pseudonaut and @PsychEyeball for a really strong performance (top 3 for Pseudo and top 10 for Psych) as well as @Bobby "J for a good return performance. 

50 minutes ago, NaZa said:

(-complevel 9)

I'm unsure about port compatibility for these maps that pre-date current source ports.

• dmdjm01 from 1999 was created for boom.exe but may have issues with current ZDoom-derived ports - maybe a softlock, although the map doesn't have voodoo dolls so that linked "scripting" bug report doesn't make much sense.
  • dmdjm02 was only developed and tested on early ZDoom due to map size static limits. A quick bugfix was later done to stop a PrBoom+ on-load crash but it wasn't thoroughly re-tested. With DSDA/PrB+/EE I'm now aware of a few problems with the absence of ZDoom blockmap/physics changes, such as barriers that can be bypassed.

If I ever get around to finishing dmdjm03 this century, I'll release bugfixes for these maps (with UV redone.)

Either way, I'm looking forward to watching people die in very specific ambushes.

Ah, I see. Thank you. When I had played Terra Nova back in 2020 on prBoom+ to originally assess it for Ironman while I was still a permanent host, I don't recall coming across any game-breaking bugs using complevel 9, and Boom-compatible is specified on the wiki. There's also a demo by vdgg recorded on prB. Either way, thank you for reporting what could happen. Let's hope everything will be fine and you'll indeed see nice action! 

Me first I guess. Cat 1, dead on Jagermorder 1 with 54/70 at 6:45. No excuses here, just some really bad decision making and a pretty unlucky damage roll from a resurrected baron.

dwim-bx-jager.lmp

Category 1, survival in 41:21

jager_ironman_maribo.zip

Would have beaten Pseudonaut if I didn't spend so much time glide-checking or thinking about whether a doable glide would softlock me :^)

Category 2, survived in 37:25. Holy shit.

dwironman_naza_apr22.zip

Spoiler

So basically I could've exited a minute or so sooner but I wasn't sure what to do. 

Sweaty fingers moments abound near the end, my foreknowledge did not help me.

Played the first map to completion in 2020 when deliberating whether I should choose it for Ironman. Probably completed the second map as well, though I do not recall the final moments - I only recall the yellow and red key areas because of how they look - and it shows. Damn, I'm really happy to survive this either way. Being first so far is just an added bonus.

Considering I also don't use autorun, my time is definitely beatable. I fully expect someone to beat this in under 30 minutes.

Edited by NaZa : clarificat

Guys I'm pissed.  Map 2 and 379/387 total kills.  Of course.  Category 1 Blind.  My thoughts:

Spoiler

I can't believe that last trap lol.  Archvile and Barons with no cover out of nowhere!  Of course after death I looked around and saw you could probably hit the button to go down or maybe run past down the corridor (but it doesnt have a lot of cover and you have to lower a yellow fence).  But I was pretty nervous at that point, palms sweaty, knees weak, arms were heavy.  I felt like I was moving through mom's spaghetti.  And I see this archvile come up and it was just pure fight or flight response.  Tried to hide in a cubbyhole but the barons were about to lock me in.  Then I chose fight and tried to rocket him fast enough but of course... he survives.  Imo absolutely ridiculous trap to have an archvile without any immediate cover, out of the line with the rest of the 2 levels lol but I guess it is a final encounter and the map creator probably isn't thinking about an ironman playthrough.  But still, I'm angry haha.  Especially since this was supposed to be the "easy" month, I probably won't get this far again.  So I'll just have to get better!

As for the rest of the playthrough, I definitely took it very cautiously as you can see by my 50+ minute playtime.  Overcautious really, looking for secrets, making sure I kept all my resources stocked, taking a lot of cover etc.  This is only my second ironman and I saw it was supposed to be doable so I wasn't worrying about time at this point, just making it through.  Honestly not much in retrospect was actually difficult, but there were a couple that stood out.  In map 2 the room with the red key where you have to drop into the pit blind was a harrowing decision in this type of run!  I literally ran around trying to check other possibilities, shootable switches etc. because it looked like it could be a death pit!  Was very relieved after taking the plunge, but again, without vertical look this was rather poorly designed if you're playing saveless imo.  The cyberdemon fight wasn't all that hard but knowing you're one rocket away from death near the end of the run is going to be a bit scary regardless!  And of course the fight that killed me which I thought was ridiculous.

Anyway, that was an interesting challenge.  At least I got pretty far.  Until next time!

So I tried recording for this yesterday but just after killing the Vile in map01 I had to pause, and I'm apparently the kind of person who makes such awesome decisions as binding that to P and "restart level" to [. You can guess how that went. Should I upload the resulting demo anyway, or can I try again? For what it's worth, it was a category 2 run.

You can do both, actually! If you upload the demo, I'll count the kills up until the accidental restart and put it on the standard leaderboard, but feel free to record an attempt for the second, prepared leaderboard as well!

Edited by NaZa : Clarification

Let's inaugurate our Top 10 by... doing really poorly this month.

Category 1, Dead at 2:58, 34/70 kills

Revenants are really my black sheep. I can't friggin' deal with them worth a damn.

psych_morder.rar

https://youtu.be/RZjWKIG6JRQ

Starts at around 12:20, category 1 run.

Killed 70/70 on map 1.

Killed 285/293 on map 2 and was killed by a Baron in the mean end-level trap.

An agonising end, honestly. Was expecting to survive this one, but oh well.

Category 1

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 27/70

Time: 5:18

dwi_pegleg_jagermorder12_cat1.zip

I'd like to think that would have gone better/I'd had lived longer had I not made a poor decision trying to punch a sergeant.

Overall, I liked it. The details were good, and the encounters that I saw were generally well structured. Ammo was available enough that I never felt starved of it, even when taking on hell knights with a regular shotgun. Having just a shotgun versus a pain elemental makes me think that I should have approached that fight differently. Armor would have been nice, too. Overall, though, not bad at all.

Category 1

Survived in around 35:00

I must say, Derek McDonald was a ahead of his time with fights, even though Chemical Plant is distinctly 90s. Very clever timing.

This is why I hate playing in the afternoon. I don't think and do some fairly stupid things. Don't know how I got through Map 01, whereas Map 02....I hate missing switches. Definitely a certain dearth of ammo. Might be encouraging infighting mechanics.

Spoiler

There's hardly any space to dodge that Cyberdemon. Mostly just fired at Barons since my own death would be the case otherwise. That Arch-vile would've probably got me, but the length of the hallway made me think. Very shocked that the two revs at the end didn't get me.

lmd_ironjaegur.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Category 1

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 26/70

Time: 3:48

Amazing demonstration of skill here :P

Yeah, a little bit frustrating to die so soon in this level, but I need more training.  My use of the shotgun was awful and I made very bad decisions, specially when I got the red key. I think I could  survive longer, but the bad decisions and playing too safe costed me the run. Maybe I can do better next time.

im_SilentD00mer.zip

Seriously impressive bounceback from last month @LadyMistDragon! The end to MAP01 was definitely as tense as it gets, and to see you manage to regroup in quite some way was really nice to watch - especially the first two minutes of MAP02 :^)

The baron fireball from my last run kept taunting me to give it a proper go. 27 minutes, UV-Max prepared run. Well, sort-of prepared; never finished the map properly so I keep wandering about and the two revs at the end had me in a cinch.

Also this map clearly brought out my burning desire to rocket myself in the face.

TitoPrepared.zip

Okay, I assure you that I'll have a run submitted.. once I figure out why any installation of PrBoom is causing the sounds to sound like it's being filtered through a chipmunk. I'll have time for this in two days.

Category: 1

Dead on: MAP02

Kills: 352 total

• 70/70
  • 116/293

Time: 27:45

cl 9 demo

Very careless mistake, letting that spider sneak up and take the prize. To be fair, that's on me for not raising my sound volume. Guess I'll do MAP02 normally and learn all about this end-map trap that way.