Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alex S.

Plotting the correlations between fans of Doom and fans of metal music

Plotting the correlations between fans of Doom and fans of metal music  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider it a true statement to say you are both a Doom fan as well as a metal-head?

• Yes
    • No

I myself and both a Doom fan and a metal-head. Creating a bit of a poll to see how other folks align or don't to this model.

Metal has become so mainstream these days that it's no surprise that there's many Metal fans here.

I’m not into it as much as I was when I was younger, these days I like some select eletronic tracks and artists, some ambient stuff…But every once in awhile, I’ll boot up some cozy Cradle of Filth. Midian is one of my favorite albums of all time, so is Cruelty and the Beast (they had a show last year that I missed that was 90% off of Cruelty, I goofed hard in missing that).

When I was initially into Doom and discovered Zdoom, other ports, and their port specific projects in the early 2000s, I was absolutely a metal head so I’m going to vote “yes”!

death metal and prog metal all the way

Spoiler

I dont listen to heavy metal like in doom because its kinda boring

1 minute ago, gwain said:

Hide contents

I dont listen to heavy metal like in doom because its kinda boring

It'd be more accurate to say it's thrash metal and I more or less agree. 

1 minute ago, hybridial said:

It'd be more accurate to say it's thrash metal and I more or less agree. 

yeah it does have some slayer songs in there

Yes. I mostly like thrash, black and doom (the metal subgenre). I don't like the metal soundtracks from most FPS games though, surprisingly.

dunno, metal fell off me hard. it's more that I like individual metal bands - voivod, meshuggah, recent napalm death - but don't consider myself a metalhead cos there's so much music I prefer. that's not getting into the nsbm shit which I wish I never knew about

I like my share of extreme music, metal-adjacent genres like Grindcore, Sludge, and Crust, but I wouldn't classify myself as a metalhead and more a punk.

I want to say though if we're going down the road of generalizing people, metalheads are the best-humoured and friendly people I've ever been friends with. Even when it comes to differences in tastes across genres, I find metalheads to be more willing to be challenged by a piece of music over pretty much any other sub-category of popular music fan.

Yeah, I listen to metal, loved the genre ever since I was a teenager. Nowadays I listen to black metal mostly, but almost any subgenre goes. That said, I'm not a "metalhead" in a sense that my taste in music show. Just today I was sitting in a commuter train, and some kids on the next bench were discussing Behemoth, Graveland, Dissection and Darkthrone. Young guys dressed in leather jackets littered with band logo patches and all. It amused me that I could have joined their discussion, and I don't think it would have occurred to them that anybody on the train, let alone me in an office attire, caught on to their talks.

Also, me not being an actual metalhead is indicated by the fact that nowadays I can very well listen pop/rock songs on radio and admit I like some of them. As a 20-something metal warrior that would have been out of the question :P

Yes, but I don’t think the two have any true connection. I was a metal fan long before Doom ever came out, and Doom, despite what some people have convinced themselves with… isn’t really all that metal. There’s a handful of songs that feel truly metal, while the majority feel more atmospheric or grunge and hard rock influenced. 

I got into heavy music (metal, grunge, hard rock etc) largely through MIDIs in various wads I played when I was still single-digit age. My parents listened to a fair bit of rock music too though, things like Led Zeppelin and others of that ilk, so I was already a fan of music that featured distorted guitars.

I still love metal, but I had gotten really into it by the time I was about 17 to 22 or so, and gigging/jamming with the TheDevilzWork. I was in the perfect age range for craving that level of energy you get at small venues with local metal/rock/punk/etc bands.

I don't think metal or any subgenre is necessarily my "favorite" kind of music, I'm kind of growing away from the whole idea of favoritism with musical styles the older I get. Even with guitar-based/heavy music, I tend to like stuff that's a little more on the relaxed side now.. but I still love me some metal and always will.

Yes, in fact Doom is probably the reason I like metal in the first place thanks to its soundtrack. I liked metal before I knew I liked it, because of this game. Some of the most iconic music in Doom is the heavy stuff.

Doom definitely helped me get into thrash metal, but now I'm more into prog / fusion / djent metal

I discovered prog metal thanks to Scythe and am now a massive fan of Symphony X and Dream Theatre as a result. I also enjoy other forms of metal but they've never really clicked with me the way SX and DT did. So, I'd say I'm a metal fan but I also feel like that's a bit reductive, as my music taste is quite varied.

Does trap-metal count? If so, guess I'm a metal head.

I much more prefer EDM, dub, electrotrap, phonk, psytrance, etc.

Not really too much of a rock guy - I listen to a lot of rap, too - rap fans seem VERY rare on this website for some reason. You hardly never see rap being posted in the 'What are you listening to?' thread - oh well, to each their own. :)

Doom undoubtedly influenced my musical tastes at a young age, but that kind of music was also popular in general so it makes me wonder if the chicken or the egg came first.

At this point I don't think there's any one genre I prefer over the next wot with the ultra convenience of curated playlist rabbit holes on streaming sites. At this point I like hyperpop as much as death metal. I've even gotten to the point of liking music I don't like, as long as it has even a speck of personality.

But I do love both Doom and heavy metal, so checkmate, atheists.

I’m more a fan of hip hop. Even of guitar centric genres I think I prefer grunge and punk to metal.

I mean I enjoy the genre but I wouldn't consider myself to be a metalhead.

Now if this was about the correlation of being a Quake and and a NIN fan then ill have something else to say.

I enjoy various metal artists and songs but I wouldn't really consider myself a metalhead. Most of the bands and songs I like are all very well known, surface level ones (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc). I enjoy it no more than your average guy my age does basically. My taste lies more with EDM and Hip-hop.

The metal I'm into is considered by many fans of other types of metal and rock to not be 'true metal', so I'm not really sure I can say either yes or no on this one.

All I know is paaaperrr flowwwerrrs.

Melodic Metalhead here.

I don't like metal from FPS games too but i like (j-)metal from fightings and shmups.

At one time, I would''ve definitely said yes (though I also listened to hip-hop and darkwave). Though to be honest, my dad was playing Jimi Hendrix and Deep Purple records before I ever played Doom, so that was probably encouraged early. These days though, despite that my musical tastes haven't shifted entirely to indie twee-pop or however that stereptype goes, I listen to most kinds of music, and my tastes can go from Pheobe Bridgers to Pat Matheny to the blackest of metal. So while I do enjoy my misanthropic, and often lo-fi black metal, I like to think of myself who can appreciate many different artists.

Wow, I'm loving reading through everybody's replies. I really feel like learning more about what other people like for their tastes in music is a great way to get to know you all better. I'm also overwhelmed by how many responses I saw when I logged on tonight!

Myself, I'm more into thrash, doom, goth and death metal. But thrash is my favorite.

power metal forever! love the music, but usually hate the lyrics. sometimes it is good that English is not my native language.

6 minutes ago, Alex S. said:

Myself, I'm more into thrash, doom, goth and death metal. But thrash is my favorite.

Oh, goth, huh?

That's interesting.

Guess I'll say yes then. Those Evanescence demos have an interesting aesthetic.

5 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

Oh, goth, huh?

That's interesting.

Guess I'll say yes then. Those Evanescence demos have an interesting aesthetic.

More like Type O Negative though (RIP Pete Steele)

I went through a hardcore metal phase when I was a teenager (Slipknot was my favourite band) with the gruff vocals that sounded like the vocalist was gargling a mouthful of sand and nails, but my musical tastes have become more eclectic as I've gotten older. I still love a lot of the old-school stuff I grew up with like AC/DC and especially Motorhead, but otherwise I'm much more into Dark Ambient, Synthwave, Electro Swing, Lo-Fi Beats and other random stuff. I still do love the heavy down-tuned guitar sound though but prefer more melodic metal these days where the vocalists actually sing rather than scream like banshees. 

Incidentally, the habit of head-banging to a tune I really vibe with has never truly left me hehe.