Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SplinkWizard

You play as Doom 3 guy in eternal

From what I know, a lot of classic doom mods are "canon" in the Doom universe. This doesn't make sense, because if we are playing as the same Doom Guy from Doom 1 and 2, that would mean Doom Slayer would have brown hair rather than black. In Doom3, you play as a marine with black hair. This means that Doom Slayer is from Doom3. I can also explain why it isn't the original Doom Guy. In one of the levels in Doom3, you see a stone tablet with classic Doom Guy, this could mean that Doom and Doom2 did happen, just way before Doom3. Either this is a really bad retconn, or Doom Slayer is from Doom3.

The cutscenes in Sentinel Prime made it clear it is the classic marine and 3 was established as a seperate timeline. (even if there's some marketing material that made it sound that the marine from 3 was the same as the 1/2 one)

The black hair is either an oversight or a reference to the Doom comic, because Quake Champions made him kinda blond when Doomguy has a light brown tone.

Then again, Doom lore kinda contradicts itself since day one.

To start off I'm always very excited to discuss Doom lore. It's a "story" that has always fascinated me. (and I use "story" because of how Doom gives the player very little) It's truly something interesting for people to come together and hypothesize how the games fit together. 

Now with that being said, I would like to take a moment to break down your statement and provide my personal insight. 

3 hours ago, SplinkWizard said:

From what I know, a lot of classic doom mods are "canon" in the Doom universe.

Eh, sometimes custom mods have very little to no story at all. I would believe that most mods are geared toward gameplay rather than story line. Not saying there are not any mods that are focused on story, but I would guess more of them are just gameplay mods.

This doesn't make sense, because if we are playing as the same Doom Guy from Doom 1 and 2, that would mean Doom Slayer would have brown hair rather than black. In Doom3, you play as a marine with black hair. This means that Doom Slayer is from Doom3.

Whoa now, that's quite a leap based only on hair color. I'll counter your theory with a simple timeline.

Doom 1 - Doom guy fights through Phobos, then Deimos, then drops down into hell. Finding a demonic teleporter, Doom guy finds himself back on Earth. (I theorize episode 4 is a dream Doom guy has while being teleported back to Earth.)

Doom 2 - Doom guy finds Earth in invaded by the demons. Kills them all, saves humanity. Simple... dead simple. 

Doom 64 - UAC receives a tramission from Phobos that demons are back. Doom guy is deployed once again and after killing the mother demon in hell, decides to stay in hell to prevent futher invasions. 

This is a VERY simple part of the entire story, but I think you get the picture. I'm trying not to make a huge wall of text, so feel free to ask me any questions if you want more detail. (well a bigger wall of text... I hope I'm not rambling.)

Now for the bulk of my theory about Doom 3. 

I can also explain why it isn't the original Doom Guy. In one of the levels in Doom3, you see a stone tablet with classic Doom Guy, this could mean that Doom and Doom2 did happen, just way before Doom3. Either this is a really bad retconn, or Doom Slayer is from Doom3.

I think Doom 3 happened years after 1, 2 and 64. Here are my major points.

Ok, I'm back. Alright, here is my quick take. Doom 3 takes place years after (how many... not sure on that) but there are some key things in D3 why I believe that. First, the UAC built the Alpha and Delta labs on Mars to keep better control over them. And because Phobos at this time is most likely a dump after the events of 64... and Deimos is still floating above Hell... so those places are a no-go. Second, notice how the UAC higher ups back on Earth are paying much more attention. (Elliott Swann and Jack Campbell showing up) They are trying to be more careful this time around, but we all know how that goes... Now while all of this is going on, OG Doom guy is ripping and tearing his way through hell. This is were Doom 2016 "starts" 

Sorry, I feel like I'm doing to much talking and not enough explaining. This is just my quick take on the story, so please feel free to bounce any question or theories you may have. Thank you for listening to my mad ramblings and have a nice day!

Edited by Smoothandz : updated last part

2 hours ago, SplinkWizard said:

From what I know, a lot of classic doom mods are "canon" in the Doom universe. 

I never understood why people believe this. Where is this stated?

If this is the case I need to know why doomguy got so damn slow in the third and then sped up again for eternal.  Need to do some stretching and cardio before you start your game, bro.

I've always figured that the Doom3 guy is a regular human in the 2016 universe, some years before 2016 happens. 

The aftermath of Doom 3 was the UAC learning nothing but that Argent Energy is useful.

The Doom Slayer, on the other hand, comes from Doom 64 only, but I'm sure he would respect the hell outta Doom 3's heroes.

Regarding continuity, is the previous invasion of Earth during Doom 2 mentioned in any of 2016 or Eternal’s materials?

19 minutes ago, BGrieber said:

Regarding continuity, is the previous invasion of Earth during Doom 2 mentioned in any of 2016 or Eternal’s materials?

From what I remember no.

The problem with that is that the invasion from Doom 2 is a different universe or timeline than the one in Eternal.

Only Doom Guy would know and he's a silent protag so he wouldnt say anything. 

I would say that you can find Daisy hallucinations means that it is the same Doom Guy from 1 and 2.

Also since they are reawakening the Icon and not waking it means that the Icon was deployed before. 

This is one aspect I like and hate sometimes about the Nu Doom lore, theres alot of vagueness and unexplained things that you can fill in. Most of the times its good and opens up mystery and explanations other times things are not explained that are important. 

4 minutes ago, MemeMind said:

The problem with that is that the invasion from Doom 2 is a different universe or timeline than the one in Eternal.

That’s a bummer. The Dark Souls trilogy completely burnt me out on trying to be attached to settings with this concept, like a giant rug you can sweep everything under that more-or-less says “it’s magic, ain’t gotta explain shit”.

In those Eternal cutscenes, the slayer is using his old Doomguy comic book terminology in the flashbacks - huge guts, rip and tear, etc. But I'm not a lore guy and don't remember what the deal with 64 and Doom 3 is

2 hours ago, BGrieber said:

That’s a bummer. The Dark Souls trilogy completely burnt me out on trying to be attached to settings with this concept, like a giant rug you can sweep everything under that more-or-less says “it’s magic, ain’t gotta explain shit”.

Did you notice there's actually less substance to Dark Souls' "storytelling" than Doom 1? You're never given a solid motivation in those games and it bothers me. 

Like those bastards killing Daisy, at least that's a clear motivation.

Maybe this is where I should say if the Ancient Gods part 2 had ended with the Dark Lord just being a random edgelord Demon who says "I was the one who killed Daisy, Slayer" and that was the pay off to the whole shebang, it would have been amazing satire on the point of even bothering with a story in a series like Doom.

But what they actually did was... very stupid and underwhelming. 

2 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Like those bastards killing Daisy, at least that's a clear motivation. 

Everything surrounding Daisy is pure schlock that I absolutely can't take seriously, so I hope that's the joke...!

Playing Dark Souls 1 through the first time reminded me of an initial watch of Twin Peaks: There's a certain degree of "...huh?" that slowly turns into "ooh!"s. The sequels is where I lost interest, not unlike the dip in quality for most of Twin Peaks' second season.

1 hour ago, Kute said:

In those Eternal cutscenes, the slayer is using his old Doomguy comic book terminology in the flashbacks - huge guts, rip and tear, etc. But I'm not a lore guy and don't remember what the deal with 64 and Doom 3 is

Doom 64 suggests Doomguy is very scarred after the "military episodes code named 'DOOM'", but it's not very specific to what are referred to as "episodes". (Does it included Doom 2? Final Doom? Or just the initial Doom? Who knows!) The ending has him chilling in hell for eternity to fight all the demons.

Doom 3 proposes the idea of finding alien ruins linked to hell on Mars, I'm not very up to date on its story and specifics. Also the first Doom to take place on Mars rather than its moons.

That comic is hilarious by the way, especially that page in particular. Here it is on Doomworld!

7 hours ago, SplinkWizard said:

if we are playing as the same Doom Guy from Doom 1 and 2, that would mean Doom Slayer would have brown hair rather than black. In Doom3, you play as a marine with black hair. This means that Doom Slayer is from Doom3.

The Doom Slayer does have brown hair, it's just really dark for whatever reason. The opening cutscene makes it look much darker than it's supposed to be. Here are  two images to highlight his hair color:

Doom Slayer's face in-game

nloiWOL.png

Doom Slayer's face concept art

92jOVvc.png

Besides which, the purpose of the Sentinel Prime cutscene was to show that the Doom Slayer is Doomguy, hence why he's wearing the Classic armor. The ARC broadcasts also refer to the Doom Slayer as Doomguy - a nickname usually associated to the Classic protagonist. That's reinforced in Quake Champions when the Slayer's Classic skin is referred to as "Doomguy", while the Doom 3 skin is referred to as "Doom Marine".

8 hours ago, SplinkWizard said:

I can also explain why it isn't the original Doom Guy. In one of the levels in Doom3, you see a stone tablet with classic Doom Guy, this could mean that Doom and Doom2 did happen, just way before Doom3.

I don't see how this explains that the Doom Slayer isn't Doomguy. The Doom 3 marine is a different character who saw a tablet carving of Doomguy during his own adventure. Following the games chronologically and with some headcanon, we can assume Doomguy became Doom Slayer after Doom 64 - and the tablet in Doom 3 (released between Doom 64 and Doom 2016) is a brief glimpse into that fate, where Doomguy had become a legend among an alien civilization for his battle against the demons.

That's right, Doom 1 was on Phobos. I like that much more than Mars. Much more eerie and feels more unknown and isolated. A cooler name, a less common trope, and it feels more like the kind of place these organizations might setup their questionable research. Hmm such a simple, seemingly irrelevant change that actually feels like it matters to me.

not trying to sound rude, but who really cares? this series' line of games is so vague, just fill in the blanks as to which games are canon to you, and call it a day.

I just want to state that I’m pretty sure the Doom marine from Doom 3 isn’t cannon to the other Classic and Modern Doom Universe

Throwing in my obsessive detailing, the Doom 3 timeline is the setting of the New Doom games, but Doom Slayer is the character from the classic ones. It's emphasized by most of the D3 era characters having more human limitations (and possibly all dying) compared to his campaigns of nightmare.

EDIT:

So the idea is he goes to hell and kills his way out so many times he's finally emerged in an entirely different universe from his original one.

If nothing else, Doom 4 is either a rehash of Doom 3, or a distant sequel. They both involve artefacts of an ancient (pre-?)human Martian civilisation, and the ghosts of ancient warriors travelling to the present to fight the demons off once again.

A bigger question to me is whether the original Doom universe is canon to Doom 3. It's certainly implied by the references to prior demonic invasions and a recovered piece of artwork carved into stone referencing the game's artwork, but this was a -Martian- invasion. The only explanation I can come up with is that either teleporter shenanigans, or maybe a coincidence with the development of these civilisation's languages, keep switching the position of which planet is "Earth", and which planet is " Mars".

On 4/1/2022 at 8:34 PM, SplinkWizard said:

This doesn't make sense, because if we are playing as the same Doom Guy from Doom 1 and 2, that would mean Doom Slayer would have brown hair rather than black. In Doom3, you play as a marine with black hair.

The doom mods are canon, but not in the sense of all of them happening in the same universe.

In one universe/timeline, this mess starts with Doom 3 and in the OG timeline Doom 1 is the beginning

Think of it as the Marvel's earths

He dyed his hair black. He likes it that way. That, or hell did something weird to his hair. Maybe an imp fireball set his hair on fire when the Doomslayer was polishing his helmet. Though he was quick enough to avoid getting his hair burnt into a crisp, his hair was still already an ash black-colour.

I'll do you one better: because of the all-important black hair it's obvious that you're playing as Freedoom guy!