Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

(Digital Foundry coverage) PrBoom+ RT/Doom Classic: RayTraced - Real Time path tracing in PrBoom+um

it looks like someone smeared Vaseline on the video

anyways time to destroy my laptop (i'll let you know if i survive my laptops explosion)

Edit:

OneDrive: 

"This item might not exist or is no longer available

This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information."

Edited by Paf

19 minutes ago, Paf said:

Edit:

OneDrive: 

"This item might not exist or is no longer available

This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information."

I was already surprised that the author used OneDrive for that - Why not just stick it to GitHub? Its not like that is ever an issue..

Anyway, since i am a quick downloading bastard, i have stuck up a mirror on my FTP (RedArchive). Opening post updated.

Just now, Redneckerz said:

I was already surprised that the author used OneDrive for that - Why not just stick it to GitHub? Its not like that is ever an issue..

Anyway, since i am a quick downloading bastard, i have stuck up a mirror on my FTP (RedArchive). Opening post updated.

Yeah. They just made a download on Github too so I downloaded it. It crashed instantly though because it couldn't initialize the raytracing engine. Probably because my laptop doesn't have a RTX GPU.

1 minute ago, Paf said:

Yeah. They just made a download on Github too so I downloaded it. It crashed instantly though because it couldn't initialize the raytracing engine. Probably because my laptop doesn't have a RTX GPU.

FFS, ill just keep the mirror up for now. Thanks for notifying. Yeah, it needs RTX and Vulkan.

Fascinating. It looks both super weird and super awesome. I'll have to give this a whirl.

Speaking of which, is Nail & Crescent still happening??

Awesome! I wonder if the colors of the light sources are hard-coded to the IWAD assets or if it will adapt to PWAD replacements. 

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

Pathtracing is not raytracing.

True, so i wonder why the author calls it that way. Because RT/Raytracing is a more common term?

Quake 2 RTX also misuses this to a certain degree..

You might rather want to tune down the effect in most cases, but for demonstration purposes, exaggeration is allowed. In any case, visually it's a feast.

17 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

True, so i wonder why the author calls it that way. Because RT/Raytracing is a more common term?

Quake 2 RTX also misuses this to a certain degree..

No idea.  But they are so fundamentally different.

Pathtracing is rays cast from the point of a light source and surfaces absorb some

of those properties (which is why everything else is pitch black)

Raytracing is calculated from the camera point of view and once it hits a surface, is recalculated, hits another surface, recalculated again all towards light sources.

Mixing the two isn’t possible unless you don’t know what you’re developing.

An example would be the spectres.  In the video they aren’t reflecting the world around them in real-time. Thus while it does need an RTX (because Pathtracing needs them too) it isn’t raytracing.

Edited by Gibbon

17 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

No idea.  But they are so fundamentally different.

Pathtracing is rays cast from the point of a light source and surfaces absorb some

of those properties (which is why everything else is pitch black)

Raytracing is calculated from the camera point of view and once it hits a surface, is recalculated, hits another surface, recalculated again all towards light sources.

Path Tracing is more computationally intensive because of its accuracy.

It should also be said that Doom's inherent renderer nature makes it far less suitable for ray or path-tracing than say Quake (Which works in 3D space).

There is a reason DoomTracer failed and its not because Doom is so suitable for such advanced rendering.

The end result however looks quite decent, so ofcourse there is a stake here to see if a modded GZDoom with lightmaps or K8Vavoom can achieve a similar look. Not talking about accuracy here though. If you wanted proper next-gen graphics, you wouldn't be using Doom anyway :P

I have an RTX 2060 but it keeps saying it can't initialize the ray tracing engine. I'm on a laptop, but I went into Nvidia control panel and made it default to the 2060... Any idea what's up?

Ok, after playing this for a little bit, I'd say this is more of a curiosity than anything. The bloom looks absolutely horrid, so I just disabled it. Many of the textures (especially doors) have a weird smearing effect beyond the typical raytracing/path tracing 'fuzzy' effect. At times, though, you can see how this could actually be a really cool way to play the game. I feel like if a custom version of this was tailored for something like SIGIL, which is already so much about darkness, you could have something really interesting and different and maybe even kinda groundbreaking?

As is, try this out if you have a RTX card, but this is very rough and more an interesting experiment than anything (IMHO).

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Path Tracing is more computationally intensive because of its accuracy.

It should also be said that Doom's inherent renderer nature makes it far less suitable for ray or path-tracing than say Quake (Which works in 3D space).

There is a reason DoomTracer failed and its not because Doom is so suitable for such advanced rendering.

The end result however looks quite decent, so ofcourse there is a stake here to see if a modded GZDoom with lightmaps or K8Vavoom can achieve a similar look. Not talking about accuracy here though. If you wanted proper next-gen graphics, you wouldn't be using Doom anyway :P

The fact it is bound to Doom.wad is another tell-tale sign..  if it was properly done, it wouldn't be tied to anything because the renderer doesn't care which game is being played.

I'd prefer if Graf did something proper on GZDoom, that would be nice.  But also it would not really be practical, for performance reasons I'd assume.

But hey, it seems users love this, so enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

The fact it is bound to Doom.wad is another tell-tale sign..  if it was properly done, it wouldn't be tied to anything because the renderer doesn't care which game is being played.

It seems Doom2.wad also works with some minor lighting errors. And there are new versions underway.

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

I'd prefer if Graf did something proper on GZDoom, that would be nice.  But also it would not really be practical, for performance reasons I'd assume.

Ibm5155 once did a test map full of sector lights and shadows to fake the effect. Naturally performance tanked.

GZ is in the process of getting lightmap support which looks rather nice, but that's static only.

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

But hey, it seems users love this, so enjoy it.

I mean, shadows. Whats not to love lol

Finally, a dedicated renderer for GROVE.WAD! ...although it actually crashed out with 273 R_InitTextures errors when trying to do that. HACX? Level loads, music plays, but then crashes out with RT=3. Heretic doesn't load.

Dancing around in front of torches in Thy Flesh Consumed while your shadow is cast on the imps you're blasting is a cool effect. Freedoom Phase 1 works well enough that the first level's water ceiling uses the right water effect.

Edit: As far as "why is this tied to the DOOM wad," this method needs some information about what objects are emissive light sources (I think these definitions are stored in ovrd\mat\gfx). Otherwise, you'd be stuck with a hardcoded flashlight, or maybe some kind of complex heuristics about what things "should" be emissive light sources...

Edited by EdHerdman

PrBoom-Plus-RT 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 released!

Changelogs:

1.0.2:

• removed artifacts related to specularity

1.0.1:

• reduced bloom
  • added an option to enable 2 light bounces for all light source types (previously, spherical lights had only 1 bounce)

Download in first post.

Wow, this Raytracing/RTX source port fork of PrBoom-Plus looks nicer than GZDoom's Raytracing/RTX stuff, and mods for the latter that provide extra Raytracing/RTX stuff.

I have a 2060 RTX Laptop and receive the message "can't initialise ray tracing engine" when I try to open PRBoom Plus RT. Anyone else getting that?

so, it's [censored because some wise moder will warn me again for "self-promotion"] shadowmap lighting mode, only requiring the latest GPU? ;-)

15 minutes ago, ketmar said:

so, it's [censored because some wise moder will warn me again for "self-promotion"] shadowmap lighting mode, only requiring the latest GPU? ;-)

No. Ray tracing is not shadow mapping at all, they aren't even in the same ball park. What are you even saying?

Shadow mapping is a stencil map built from zbuffer testing, while ray tracing is the simulation of light rays bouncing and refracting in a physical environment. Shadow mapping for example can't do native simulations of the pinhole projector effect, while it comes automatic to ray tracing, much to the unexpected discovery of the Minecraft RTX developers who stumbled upon it completely by accident.

Edited by Edward850

thank you, Oh Wise One! your Great Wisdom truly enlightened me, and now i've seen the light! i hope to hear more Wise Words from you, because i definitely know nothing about computer graphics, and cannot learn without being guided by somebody Really Wise!

So is it actually using ray tracing or not? Cf. Gibbon's posts earlier.

1 minute ago, Gez said:

So is it actually using ray tracing or not? Cf. Gibbon's posts earlier.

Well, it isn't.  It is just a word the developer is throwing around to get people to say "oh l33t you're so awesome".  It's path tracing..