Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thelokk

[Community Project] "Gorehounds of Doom"

1 hour ago, Scypek2 said:

Seems more like it's glitching in non-zdoom. Vanilla ignores negative vertical offsets, and the way it looks in zdoom makes more sense. Since rf` originally posted this on the zdoom forums, I imagine it was mostly tested in zdoom as well.

... which leads me to assume that, as it's a long standing and well documented glitch with port behavior, there is no fix that can be applied by editing the resource pack itself?

I used the pack for a multitude of my projects without issue on different ports, so I assume I have simply lucked out with texture placement / textures that did not cause this offset trouble?

Ok, so I did testing on a LOT of ports (GZDoom, DSDA, PrBoom+, even Zanondrum...) and the issue seems to be limited to a small number of support/step textures that don't play nice with vertical offsets in all ports, in some do and in some don't. Unfortunately my attempts to create newly offset versions of the incriminated textures solves only partially the problem, as it created a cascade of errors that are likely to do more damage than simply doing away with the textures altogether.

Therefore, I have to put out the following warning - if you are concerned how select step / support textures might look outside of the target port, test both on DSDA and GZDoom and act accordingly. Regrettably, this might include revising your texture choices. 

4 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Therefore, I have to put out the following warning - if you are concerned how select step / support textures might look outside of the target port, test both on DSDA and GZDoom and act accordingly. Regrettably, this might include revising your texture choices. 

Hm... It looks just fine in GZDoom (SW, SW-TC, HW), but looks ugly in DSDA... Maybe my DSDA just kinda outdated or something?

Unfortunately the only other option I see is chucking the texture pack altoghether, and I'd rather not do that as it contains plenty of non-problematic textures that are very relevant to the project's topic. I'll give it a couple of days and, if too many people have issues, I might simply put up a 'digest' with a tested and relevant selection of resources from the pack.

EDIT: @RastaManGames and the others who had that same issue - we might have a fix incoming. For now slap a placeholder texture down or something and I'll get back to the thread asap.

Edited by Thelokk

It doesn't seem too difficult to fix the negative offset thing in the texture pack, just create a few extra patches with only the part that's supposed to be visible. Slade even has the "export texture to patch/PNG" and "add patch to TEXTUREx" options, which together could make it rather smooth.

1. Select the problematic texture in the texture editor
  2. Export to -> Patch
  3. Remove the problematic texture to avoid duplicates later
  4. Select newly created patch at the bottom of the lump list
  5. Graphic -> Add to TEXTUREx

Fixing the textures that aren't a power of 2 would be more problematic. At best, you could turn them into something like Doom's original SUPPORT3, which would look like the original on 24px wide linedefs. Or you could do it in a different way to let the players have some repeating 24-wide patches, but there's no way to make a texture that's a multiple of 24 and a power of two.

Just now, Scypek2 said:

It doesn't seem too difficult to fix the negative offset thing in the texture pack, just create a few extra patches with only the part that's supposed to be visible. Slade even has the "export texture to patch/PNG" and "add patch to TEXTUREx" options, which together could make it rather smooth.

2. Export to -> Patch

Fixing the textures that aren't a power of 2 would be more problematic. At best, you could turn them into something like Doom's original SUPPORT3, which would look like the original on 24px wide linedefs. Or you could do it in a different way to let the players have some repeating 24-wide patches, but there's no way to make a texture that's a multiple of 24 and a power of two.

Quite literally was just going through those motions as you posted!

I have made the problematic 24 wide textures into 32 wide ones with filler on the side, hacky, but it works.

I will be going through the set and finding other negative vertically offset textures, expect a fix soon.

14 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

2. Export to -> Patch

11 minutes ago, Jark said:

Quite literally was just going through those motions as you posted!

I have made the problematic 24 wide textures into 32 wide ones with filler on the side, hacky, but it works.

I will be going through the set and finding other negative vertically offset textures, expect a fix soon.

You see, isn't it nice when people with the actual technical know-how swoop in and save my ass (not the speedmapping one) from further embarrassment? That's the power of community!

Right,

It was quite interesting to see also the amount of vanilla textures which also suffer from negative vertical offsets/would look different if negative vertical offsets functioned correctly.

Changelog:

- Made all none power of 2 (24,48) textures into functioning 32 wide ones with filler on the side, will still work as trim as long as the line is 24 units long

- Removed all vertical offset textures and replaced them with patches of what they are supposed to look like, of which a few can be seen here:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Download Texture pack Fix

2 minutes ago, Jark said:

Right,

It was quite interesting to see also the amount of vanilla textures which also suffer from negative vertical offsets/would look different if negative vertical offsets functioned correctly.

Changelog:

- Made all none power of 2 (24,48) textures into functioning 32 wide ones with filler on the side, will still work as trim as long as the line is 24 units long

- Removed all vertical offset textures and replaced them with patches of what they are supposed to look like, of which a few can be seen here:

Hide contents

unknown.png

Download Texture pack Fix

A lifesaver, I say. Lifesaver. Linked in the OP as well!

Speaking of textures, I've got a question

What exactly are DOORLIT2, and DOORLITE?

image.png.3203bb9520e8f1c6faf5590650486ccb.png

Are they meant to be used with 3D models?  Are they just weridly incomplete? Where they meant to be used as patches for something else, but were accidentaly kept as their own texture?

17 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

Speaking of textures, I've got a question

What exactly are DOORLIT2, and DOORLITE?

Are they meant to be used with 3D models?  Are they just weridly incomplete? Where they meant to be used as patches for something else, but were accidentaly kept as their own texture?

I thought it was an odd texture too at first however, it can be used as a 'window' for effects such as scrolling textures behind or key colour appropriate glowing:

liteTex.gif

I'm sure there are other uses too.

10 hours ago, Jark said:

I thought it was an odd texture too at first however, it can be used as a 'window' for effects such as scrolling textures behind or key colour appropriate glowing:

I'm sure there are other uses too.

How did you manage to make this effect?

also

How did you make the animated gif?

Edited by CBM

35 minutes ago, CBM said:

How did you manage to make this effect?

Builder_8LUMjLg3BJ.png.d1998acdd3cb8857a1bcaf8b6903ad67.png

Make tiny sectors alongside door where you want the lights

Builder_7GWoWBcWJ7.png.860eabafc621132d4bedd7ddebcf5176.png

Set middle texture as DOORLITE on the linedefs that line up with the wall

Builder_B2VSXAgisx.png.4cc87e00188f25a8877c42d5ff1cf7a5.png

Align DOORLITE as needed, then put whatever texture you want the light to be in the tiny sectors, alongside any lighting effects you wish to use (light glow, light flicker, etc.)

Edited by SirPootis

40 minutes ago, SirPootis said:

Make tiny sectors alongside door where you want the lights

Set middle texture as DOORLITE on the linedefs that line up with the wall

Align DOORLITE as needed, then put whatever texture you want the light to be in the tiny sectors, alongside any lighting effects you wish to use (light glow, light flicker, etc.)

Thanks!

I made a little test and compblue and compred works very well in the final result, doorred and doorblue are great for aligning doorlite while building it but afterwards it can look odd if doorred or doorblue are the background (the grey in doorblue and doorred can be seen at an angle even with 1u sectors).

I have a small 1u sectors with 1 second blinking lights

on the other hand, they did include doorglow

a shame the pack doesnt have a door1a with yellow highlights...

Edited by CBM

My map isn't gonna be very large and beefy. Just small adventure for about 5 minutes or less.

Map Name: Sweet Tremor.

Author: RastaManGames.

Theme: Space/Base/Horror.

Music: "05.MID" from "The Elder Scrolls II: DaggerFall".

Difficulty Settings: Kinda implemented, so few fights can be various on different difficulties.

Multiplayer Stuff: COOP starting points (but map itself are not intended to) / DM starting points & unique items (may be jankie).

Ports Tested: "DSDA-Doom" (all works fine), "GZDoom" (there is no problems too).

Description: You was sure that auto-pilot of your old'n'trusty spaceship was directed to the main U.A.C. base. Hearing warm humming of engine after hard day of beating demons up made you very dizzy and you accidently fall asleep. Suddenly, you have been awoken in sweatly panic because something just isn't right. Your spaceship are not moving and looks like you was docked... To abandoned base? And what is that thing that was looking at you thru the illuminator?! Looks like that spaceship is out of fuel and your only hope to escape is investigation of that abandoned base. Maybe there you can initiate an emergency refueling.

Notes: Map is not very big and there is no any hordes of enemies. I think that early map slot can be great, 'cause exit from this level leads to "scripted" death with loss of items. After all, this is a very short & ominous adventure.

Download:

RMG-SweetTremorV1.zip

If there is any critical problems, then I am gonna fix them as soon as possible and upload a "V2" and etc.

Edited by RastaManGames

7 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Difficulty Settings: Kinda implemented, so few fights can be various on different difficulties.

Multiplayer Stuff: COOP starting points (but map itself are not intended to) / DM starting points & unique items (may be jankie).

Ports Tested: "DSDA-Doom" (all works fine), "GZDoom" (there is no problems too).

Description: You was sure that auto-pilot of your old'n'trusty spaceship was directed to the main U.A.C. base. Hearing warm humming of engine after hard day of beating demons up made you very dizzy and you accidently fall asleep. Suddenly, you have been awoken in sweatly panic because something just isn't right. Your spaceship are not moving and looks like you was docked... To abandoned base? And what is that thing that was looking at you thru the illuminator?! Looks like that spaceship is out of fuel and your only hope to escape is investigation of that abandoned base. Maybe there you can initiate an emergency refueling.

Notes: Map is not very big and there is no any hordes of enemies. I think that early map slot can be great, 'cause exit from this level leads to "scripted" death with loss of items. After all, this is a very short & ominous adventure.

Screenshots:

Hide contents

930592792_GZDoom2022-04-1721-36-31.jpg.703db005c985f4e0345ba8f6702ca116.jpg959516225_GZDoom2022-04-1721-37-07.jpg.61f86eacdbf59115ef6da089051a3108.jpg1803539207_GZDoom2022-04-1721-37-21.jpg.7c8734f9e2768b12f0268a7885c9970d.jpg1132680576_GZDoom2022-04-1721-38-18.jpg.c8908ab5d9ebd94631f50812ba4f646f.jpg1171211008_GZDoom2022-04-1721-38-31.jpg.c20858efd27b196ce06c31a7deeea843.jpg820375092_GZDoom2022-04-1721-39-48.jpg.42bbc4a6bc97f16325e1a572b1346053.jpg1225645339_GZDoom2022-04-1721-40-56.jpg.71695f1223654d543babc94c042bf728.jpg2072475959_GZDoom2022-04-1721-40-28.jpg.216d9db8eec4ec07c6cf1c295bb7a58a.jpg1333560597_GZDoom2022-04-1721-40-35.jpg.5600e2830fa680e245486436054da111.jpg

Download:

RMG-SweetTremorV1.zip

Your map looks awesome. But on the start there missing textures

Spoiler

doom12.png.ab2ebaa31b38c7e54122ee0e57dd6785.png

And when lauching with dsda doom it crashes.

Spoiler

1044794997_Capturadetela2022-04-17115818.png.411207b5be417ca4116a89b7451bdb7e.png

Did you included rfhelltx003.wad to testing instance along with SWT_TRMR.wad?

I mean, launching test via UDB just works fine for me:

Spoiler

dsda-doom_LGy32H2cgJ.png.7efbab40bb0dbb8274c21ca743c87f15.png

Just now, RastaManGames said:

Did you included rfhelltx003.wad to testing instance along with SWT_TRMR.wad?

I mean, launching test via UDB just works fine for me:

Reveal hidden contents

dsda-doom_LGy32H2cgJ.png.7efbab40bb0dbb8274c21ca743c87f15.png

Oh i forgot that, sorry.

20 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

930592792_GZDoom2022-04-1721-36-31.jpg.703db005c985f4e0345ba8f6702ca116.jpg959516225_GZDoom2022-04-1721-37-07.jpg.61f86eacdbf59115ef6da089051a3108.jpg1803539207_GZDoom2022-04-1721-37-21.jpg.7c8734f9e2768b12f0268a7885c9970d.jpg1132680576_GZDoom2022-04-1721-38-18.jpg.c8908ab5d9ebd94631f50812ba4f646f.jpg1171211008_GZDoom2022-04-1721-38-31.jpg.c20858efd27b196ce06c31a7deeea843.jpg820375092_GZDoom2022-04-1721-39-48.jpg.42bbc4a6bc97f16325e1a572b1346053.jpg1225645339_GZDoom2022-04-1721-40-56.jpg.71695f1223654d543babc94c042bf728.jpg2072475959_GZDoom2022-04-1721-40-28.jpg.216d9db8eec4ec07c6cf1c295bb7a58a.jpg1333560597_GZDoom2022-04-1721-40-35.jpg.5600e2830fa680e245486436054da111.jpg

Download:

RMG-SweetTremorV1.zip

Good stuff, I'll give it a try once I'm back from work. Keep in mind though that I won't be officially 'collecting' submissions until July 15th, so hang on to the map and feel free to either let it sit or rework it to your heart's content until then.

Very excited to play this wad! No idea how to use MBF21 so I'm looking forward to the awesome stuff it can do!

@RastaManGames a quick playthrough of your map, no UV-max as I couldn't find any secret and missed a few enemies (this is something I will try and do for all maps as time allows. My aim is to record and comment at least every submission once before the beta release - hopefully actually finding them pesky secret sectors!).

Pretty sweet map! Sure, not too difficult overall as you mentioned, but it has its spicy moments - it's very easy to eat a barrel without noticing it, and the firing squad after the yellow door made minced meat out of me the first time around! I'm sure some people will find issue with having to shotgun a BoH (unless you saved ammo, which is very unlikely), didn't bother me personally but it's something to keep in mind. Aside for that pretty solid submission, really has that late 90s doomcute space vibe and it does use some of the pack's best textures, though in a very subtle way. PS: also a very nice and clean UMAPINFO, if someone who's new to the format wants to take a look for reference.

@RastaManGames

pretty cool map, I wish I could map like this... But did you implement difficulty settings?

I think the barons and hellknights would be better off not being present on the lowest difficulty

Small update on my submission:

(*) Implemented more difficulty variety (so there is no stuffy knights & barons on easy & medium).

(*) Added box of shells to usual area and box of ammo to secret one.

(*) Added "impassable" flag to "screamers", so player not gonna be able to run over them in some cases.

RMG-SweetTremorV2.zip

Edited by RastaManGames

19 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Small update on my submission:

(*) Implemented more difficulty variety (so there is no stuffy knights & barons on easy & medium).

(*) Added box of shells to usual area and box of ammo to secret one.

(*) Added "impassable" flag to "screamers", so player not gonna be able to run over them in some cases.

RMG-SweetTremorV2.zip

the red room has a scripting error on the easiest difficulty, the wall no longer lowers to reveal the teleporter that exits the room (despite killing the revenant)

but everything up to collecting the 3 keys works fine

50 minutes ago, CBM said:

the red room has a scripting error on the easiest difficulty, the wall no longer lowers to reveal the teleporter that exits the room

but everything up to collecting the 3 keys works fine

Oh... I guess that uncle Baron gonna sit up in his red room no matter what.

I mean, I reserved him to be the special one that can open exit for player after tough battle.
Additional binding of that special action to Knight or Ravenant gonna break map if someone gonna just avoid them entirely.

UPD:

RMG-SweetTremorV3.zip

Edited by RastaManGames