Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thelokk

[Community Project] "Gorehounds of Doom"

@Thelokk
Thanks for checking out what I've got done so far!
In my opinion, little details like doomcute are worth all the vertices-massaging you gotta do to eliminate slimetrails :P
I agree the pinkie ambush is pretty cruel, I'm split on either shifting the teleport destinations around in order to allow for an easier escape or allowing the encounter to be cruel despite any possible chagrin it may cause, as an experience like that so early into a map could make the player feel like they need to be on their toes for the rest of the map.
Thanks for the kind feedback! :)

15 minutes ago, kwc said:

I'm split on either shifting the teleport destinations around in order to allow for an easier escape or allowing the encounter to be cruel despite any possible chagrin it may cause

I'd keep them, they're so early in the map they don't really prejudice a saveless attempt anyway. 

@Thelokk I'm in

Aw man, at first I didn't think too much about this community project. But a few days ago, after playing some old horror games as nostalgia, I thought "Wow, is it possible to emulate that in Doom?"

I already have a plan in mind. But I guess I have to wait in the waitlist for now :/

5 minutes ago, Dubium said:

@Thelokk I'm in

Aw man, at first I didn't think too much about this community project. But a few days ago, after playing some old horror games as nostalgia, I thought "Wow, is it possible to emulate that in Doom?"

I already have a plan in mind. But I guess I have to wait in the waitlist for now :/

Yup, waitlist it has to be. I wouldn't despair, chances are still high a spot might free up.

Spoiler

Update v3 : Now includes Crushers activated at the final sector for 100% kills + Blue Key Room trap revamp + Texturing and sector tweaks + The door at the beginning is no longer closing again !

Hello there, fellow DOOMers !

It has taken me quite some bit of time, but MAP01 of Gorehounds of Doom is now (for the moment) complete ! I'm happy to be the opener for the Megawad, so I gave my best here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt97qzlveymiubc/GorehoundOri.zip?dl=0

MAP MAP01 : Dial " G " For Gore

Musics used :

- D_RUNNIN : Temple of Satanic Worship (from Clock Tower)

- D_DM2INT : Save Menu (From Resident Evil 4)

- D_DM2TTL : The Big Picture (From Resident Evil Outbreak)

- Difficulty settings implemented

- Coop player starts available

- Deathmatch player starts available

========================================

"Just a casual urban level with many things to do. Or is it ..?"

Spoiler

PimLCXd.png

dZnZEYl.png

EN8koXh.png

2GQkKjz.png

N7QhguG.png

Of course, music tracks outside of D_RUNNIN were implemented for the fun of it. If other candidates are selected instead, I won't mind deleting them.

As always, please enjoy to the fullest my map !

Edited by Origamyde : version 3

9 hours ago, kwc said:

Hey folks, here's what I got so far. A bit messy in some places, and incomplete/unbeatable at this point.
Looking for general feedback and possible softlocks. Readme included with a bit more info.

Some Screenies that don't really reveal much:

Reveal hidden contents

yJbvcyn.png

DnapTLe.png

EnnBe3A.png

afYGL7j.png

uax1bNJ.png

KWC_WNDW_V01.zip
MIDI: Quake/NIN - Parallel_Dimensions
Sequenced by Jay Reichard (silentzorah)
Some arrangement and patch edits by myself

Played through what is currently available. Here's my FDA: kwcwindow.zip.

I don't see any softlocks at this point, the visuals are looking good and creepy, and the combat keeps the energy up. I think the disappearing archvile on the last set of stairs can easily be unkillable at this point, though perhaps you will release it again later in the level.

I really wanted to try your map out in particular because it seems that we have some similar ideas in mind. I like the way you've implemented the unexpected silent TP's, and I'll try not to step on your toes too much when I do my own take on the "non-euclidean" horror landscape.

Something to be aware of: I totally understand why you are removing the automap. Just be extra careful to signpost the way forward for people who get turned around easily and would ordinarily rely on the map to find the path to progress. Alternatively, I don't think so much of the non-euclidean nature of the map would be lost by including most of the automap; you'd have to study the map closely to see the breaks.

26 minutes ago, Origamyde said:

Hello there, fellow DOOMers !

It has taken me quite some bit of time, but MAP01 of Gorehounds of Doom is now (for the moment) complete ! I'm happy to be the opener for the Megawad, so I gave my best here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/91cqxo4pv3hm6zq/GorehoundOri.zip?dl=0

MAP MAP01 : Dial " G " For Gore

Musics used :

- D_RUNNIN : Temple of Satanic Worship (from Clock Tower)

- D_DM2INT : Save Menu (From Resident Evil 4)

- D_DM2TTL : The Big Picture (From Resident Evil Outbreak)

No difficulty settings implemented

"Just a casual urban level with many things to do. Or is it ..?"

Reveal hidden contents

PimLCXd.png

dZnZEYl.png

EN8koXh.png

2GQkKjz.png

N7QhguG.png

Of course, music tracks outside of D_RUNNIN were implemented for the fun of it. If other candidates are selected instead, I won't mind deleting them.

As always, please enjoy to the fullest my map !

Good job, will give it a playthrough tomorrow once I'm back from work. Screenshots look tasty, and I see you used a lot of the pack's textures!

Just a couple of notes, probably useful to everyone:

- since we're getting maps rolling faster than I expected, a few more technical points: all maps, in their final form, will need to have coop / DM starts and difficulties implemented. Still early, but let's keep that in mind.

- Your signup slot does not necessarily correspond to your map's slot: maps will be ordered by difficulty, or by specific mapper needs. If you designed your map to be specifically an opener @Origamyde make sure to remind me when beta compiling comes around!

- For now, feel free to mess around with title/intermission music as you please. Again, when compiling comes around I will post candidates / accept suggestions / accept MIDIs if any musician feels inspired.

Finally, yet another reminder that I will not start collecting maps until a few days before july 15th. So, if you're done with your map already, consider that I will still ask you to resubmit closer to that date, through a collective roll call. This ensures a simplified process in case you might want to reconsider/ rework on your map until then.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, RastaManGames said:

@Large Cat Thanks for expanded review of my submission!

Made a small update with various changes/additions:

(*) Tweaked a bit secret area with blue armor, so it may be more easier to find.
(*) Swaped out knights and ravenants dude to high agressivness of last.
(*) Visually updated bloodfalls on the hub area.
(*) Visually updated lighting on red locked door.
(*) Visually updated personal lift on the storage area.
(*) Speeded up "scripted" explosions a bit, so player not gonna have bad time with them.
(*) Made "Doom" of player unavoidable.

RMG-SweetTremorV5.zip

Nice map. Played it on GZDoom because I couldn't get it to work with DSDA-Doom. I liked eerie atmosphere of the map and the visuals, except for that 'chess' white and grey texture, I think it's a bit overused. The combat was... Serviceable. I only managed to find the chainsaw, so I couldn't get all the kills and secrets. Also you can skip the chaingunner trap in the 'cafeteria' if you decide not to go through the door and you can see doomguy's corpse through the floor here (2nd screenshot).  Screenshot_Doom_20220420_211108_01.png.997e9ac9c1a1c3d8f88e49e65532ecba.png

Screenshot_Doom_20220420_205636.png

11 hours ago, kwc said:

Hey folks, here's what I got so far. A bit messy in some places, and incomplete/unbeatable at this point.
Looking for general feedback and possible softlocks. Readme included with a bit more info.

Hide contents

yJbvcyn.png

DnapTLe.png

EnnBe3A.png

afYGL7j.png

uax1bNJ.png

KWC_WNDW_V01.zip

Loving all of the Doomcute + voodoo doll effects being used here so far, this really feels like you're effectively emulating games such as Alone In the Dark.

Good job !

1 hour ago, Large Cat said:

I don't see any softlocks at this point, the visuals are looking good and creepy, and the combat keeps the energy up. I think the disappearing archvile on the last set of stairs can easily be unkillable at this point, though perhaps you will release it again later in the level.

Thank you! Yeah, that Archie right now is just sent into a box, primed for whenever I may need to set him loose again.

I really wanted to try your map out in particular because it seems that we have some similar ideas in mind. I like the way you've implemented the unexpected silent TP's, and I'll try not to step on your toes too much when I do my own take on the "non-euclidean" horror landscape.

Don't worry about stepping on toes, maybe our maps can be back-to-back on the final release. Either way, don't let anything stop you from doin' what you wanna do. :)

Something to be aware of: I totally understand why you are removing the automap. Just be extra careful to signpost the way forward for people who get turned around easily and would ordinarily rely on the map to find the path to progress. Alternatively, I don't think so much of the non-euclidean nature of the map would be lost by including most of the automap; you'd have to study the map closely to see the breaks.

For sure, primarily worried about some of the line teleports in the hallway. Speaking for myself, as soon as I get mildly turned-around in a doom map, I instinctively check the automap, and I think it's the same for a lot of people. My concern is less about people knowing that I'm using mapping tricks and more-so that I am trying to disorient and make the player a bit uncomfortable. I get it though, I'm a bit split. I'm thinking of maybe using the automap sort of like BPRD's Grove, which will obfuscate things just enough to retain that disorientation while allowing anyone wholly stumped an anchor. We'll see how things develop! 

35 minutes ago, Origamyde said:

Loving all of the Doomcute + voodoo doll effects being used here so far, this really feels like you're effectively emulating games such as Alone In the Dark.

Good job !

Thank you! :D

12 hours ago, kwc said:

Reveal hidden contents

yJbvcyn.png

DnapTLe.png

EnnBe3A.png

afYGL7j.png

uax1bNJ.png

KWC_WNDW_V01.zip

So far loved the high use of doom cute and silent teleporter implementation, i like the idea of removing the automap too it gaves a sense of mystery, good luck on ya map :D

Some w.i.p screenshots;

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220420_185503.png.8789bd7456554d76b3e4d2098f1067d9.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220420_185528.png.81272209a2b60486c3b1983b3f82447d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220420_185554.png.6413981286735490ccec6e5e0a5ba1d1.png

Visually i'm restricting myself to use fleshy textures and abstract ones and make a very unpleasant experience, gameplay-wise im taking high inspiration from Death-Destiny maps like Disturbia, Elysion etc.

A quick run through @Origamyde's 'Dial G for Gore'. I like it! Somehow though I managed to reach the exit while skipping almost 30 enemies or so, aside for the HK at the end I assume they're tucked away in an optional area? I agree on the MAP01 slot assessment, save for the final HK 'surprise' the rest of the map is fairly pleasing even after the difficulty adjustments, no real risk of dying unless speedrunning through. The doomcute is spot on and the map uses *a lot* of rfhelltx's textures, which is a big plus. Nicely done!

update: due to a sudden job change I will be almost entirely MIA from DW for up to two weeks. Not going anywhere! But cannot guarantee timely replies in this thread. For urgent stuff feel free to DM me and I'll reply asap. 

Edited by Thelokk

15 hours ago, CittyKat112 said:

Nice map. Played it on GZDoom because I couldn't get it to work with DSDA-Doom. I liked eerie atmosphere of the map and the visuals, except for that 'chess' white and grey texture, I think it's a bit overused. The combat was... Serviceable. I only managed to find the chainsaw, so I couldn't get all the kills and secrets. Also you can skip the chaingunner trap in the 'cafeteria' if you decide not to go through the door and you can see doomguy's corpse through the floor here (2nd screenshot).

Thanks for feedback!

Strange, that your build of DSDA-Doom can't handle map...

As for 2nd secret - I even made some lines visible so it must be more easy to get there.

About heavy weapon dude in cafeteria - I sure made all "windows" impassable for player and land monsters, so player is forced to made his way via door.

And that poor dead marine... I dunno why it like that. Seriously. I mean that I even catched some "slime trails" in one of other community projects. Doom loves to send me some surprises after so many lovely years!

3 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

Thanks for feedback!

Strange, that your build of DSDA-Doom can't handle map...

As for 2nd secret - I even made some lines visible so it must be more easy to get there.

About heavy weapon dude in cafeteria - I sure made all "windows" impassable for player and land monsters, so player is forced to made his way via door.

And that poor dead marine... I dunno why it like that. Seriously. I mean that I even catched some "slime trails" in one of other community projects. Doom loves to send me some surprises after so many lovely years!

You're welcome lol. Maybe the reason was that I used the wrong complevel (I'm always playing with complevel9) or because I didn't load the wad with the texture pack. Idk how to load both the map and texture pack using command line arguments. I tried to load your map using this line: 'dsda-doom.exe -file SWT_TRMR -complevel21' and then an error window appears that says 'R_TextureNumForName: SKY6 not found'. I guess the reason why I saw the doomguy's corpse is because I played your map without the texture pack, because judging from the thread, nobody else had the same issue.

WIP question.

What do you guys think of this?

Spoiler

image.png.851cdd7f7ceaa5f284296e3ae2508afa.png

This is meant to be a boss level.

I'm going for something that is absolutely not subtle.

This is something that people will find horrible, for a different reason.

I want to throw the players into a panic, confronting them to higher ammounts of Archviles than they ever thought they would.

But is this horror enough? Does this concept fit the CP?

7 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

WIP question.

Hide contents

I want to throw the players into a panic, confronting them to higher ammounts of Archviles than they ever thought they would.

Horror is subjective from people to people, on my opnion i think that fits horror very well, and as TheLokk said: "give it your own spin" :)

2 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

WIP question.

Hide contents

The answer to your question is in the OP:

'Horror' means something different to each fan of the genre, and to each Doom player.

Also, the only thing I'm worried after seeing the screenshot is... Is this map gonna be single segment friendly? Throwing hordes of arch-viles at the player sounds like an RNG fest to me.

46 minutes ago, CittyKat112 said:

Also, the only thing I'm worried after seeing the screenshot is... Is this map gonna be single segment friendly? Throwing hordes of arch-viles at the player sounds like an RNG fest to me.

I'm very aware of the potentially un-fun nature of the idea.

I want the level to look horrible, not play horrible.

I'll provide Invulnerability spheres at multiple locations, and I'll blast 5 barrels at every Archy before throwing them at the player, so that they die a lot quicker to rockets and bfg balls

3 hours ago, PeceMan said:

WIP question.

*Nightmarish birthday cake from hell*

The picture itself looks like something out of a terry wad, but the concept sounds horrifying.

What else do you have in mind for this boss encounter? Chainging level geometry midfight, like activating moving platforms and raising walls in different locations to throw players off? Turret Monsters outside the arena? 

2 hours ago, PeceMan said:

I'll blast 5 barrels at every Archy before throwing them at the player, so that they die a lot quicker to rockets and bfg balls

This could potentially trivialize what you have in mind. One barrel does the same damage as a rocket explosion, which is 128 at its center, 5 barrels could do a damage of 640, given that Viles have 700 hp this could reduce their hp to the same tier as an Imp. Maybe you should consider using only three barrels, as that would reduce Viles to more or less the same tier of hp as the Revenants, which will fall more in line with what you have in mind for lessening the threat level of the Archies.

5 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

What else do you have in mind for this boss encounter? 

Quite a lot of things, but I don't want to spoil anything until I have a working prototype

5 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

This could potentially trivialize what you have in mind.

I landed on five after some trial and error. The barrels aren't placed at the same location as the Archviles.

But now that you mention this concern, I will conduct some additional testing.

Actually, idea with barrels is kinda neat. Crook stick at its best. Strange, bizarre and hilarious in good way. Barrels of fun indeed.

WIP so far. I kinda feel like this map will get lost in a sea of very similar maps, so may need to do something to make it stand out. Also wouldn't be surprsied if I end up re-texturing a lot of this. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220422_231853.png.346a9ba6095e8967591ba21dd13a73e7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220422_231920.png.d56a70ace98f0916d9fba2a2c8bba9ae.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220422_231948.png.4b4f06779648b26d390540fbe22dd123.png

On 4/21/2022 at 4:32 PM, PeceMan said:

WIP question.

Hide contents

If you want to make the player feel panicked, they need to be involved in the map they're playing before you throw this at them. 

If you do this in the first 10 seconds, I wouldn't feel panic, but just annoyance.

If this happens after 10 minutes, I care a lot more about my "run" and I'd be more likely to get the intended response.

It's the same with horror movies: if I like the characters and feel attached to them, I'll care about what happens to them. 

Seems discord invite expired, unless server was nuked. If server wasn't nuked, then it would be nice to have non expiring invite that stays in first post.

Help

I accidentaly ran into the following issue

broken star test.rar (1kb)

Spoiler

image.png.a0af11a8f8bbc8cf06eaf578b815fd82.png

There are two phantom vertexes, which are not used by any linedefs, but which are used for segs and sectors.

There are two overlapping sectors, and none of the normal tools have fixed the issue.

I looked through the backups, but they were all made AFTER I had created the linedef mess that led to the issue, and as such, the problem was present in all of those as well.

What do I do? 

Is there some reliable way to fix this? 

Can I ignore it, and move it to some random unused location of the map?