Thelokk

[Community Project] "Gorehounds of Doom"

3 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

Help

I accidentaly ran into the following issue

broken star test.rar (1kb)

Hide contents

image.png.a0af11a8f8bbc8cf06eaf578b815fd82.png

There are two phantom vertexes, which are not used by any linedefs, but which are used for segs and sectors.

There are two overlapping sectors, and none of the normal tools have fixed the issue.

I looked through the backups, but they were all made AFTER I had created the linedef mess that led to the issue, and as such, the problem was present in all of those as well.

What do I do? 

Is there some reliable way to fix this? 

Can I ignore it, and move it to some random unused location of the map?

Happened to me a few times, usually I solve the issue by anchoring the vertices to the nearest linedef. In this case, as I'm not sure of the final shape you're trying to achieve, and given the scarcity of existing linedefs, I'm not really sure if you can fix the issue without radically changing the sectors' shape. 

4 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

changing the sectors' shape. 

I'll change the shape in any way needed, if it means I won't have to trash the map

What I shared was just the isolated problem. The issue happened on a much more complicated design, in a much larger space.

But after some more thorough examination, its not just that one sector that is complicated. I've lost the abbility to create more sectors.

If you open the map with doom builder, delete the two existing sectors, and try creating a similar figure, (One large sector, another smaller sector inside the large one, which shares exactly one of the larger sector's vertexes), the problem appears again.

And the same happenes with the larger map.

Slade doesn't indicate anything weird, among the vertexes or among the segs. 

I'll try deleting some things from the wad with slade, like the node file and such, and see if at any point I manage to fix the issue without permanently breaking the map.

Update:

What the fuck

The map is not the problem (thank god)

For some reason, my Doom Builder is the problem?

The problem doesn't just happen on the single map, the problem happens on any map I open, even brand new maps.

Maybe I got a buggy instalation of UDB? Maybe one of the last updates didn't install properly, or maybe one of those updates was buggy on their own.

9 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

Update:

What the fuck

The map is not the problem (thank god)

For some reason, my Doom Builder is the problem?

The problem doesn't just happen on the single map, the problem happens on any map I open, even brand new maps.

Maybe I got a buggy instalation of UDB? Maybe one of the last updates didn't install properly, or maybe one of those updates was buggy on their own.

That happened to me one time, and i had to reinstall ultimate doom builder and losed all my progress, after finishing my map i plan to switch to doom builder x.

10 hours ago, gabirupee said:

That happened to me one time, and i had to reinstall ultimate doom builder and losed all my progress, after finishing my map i plan to switch to doom builder x.

DBX is worse and much less intuitive to use. I've gotten used to it, but after spending some time with UDB I don't see myself using DBX ever again, unless I run into similar issues. I'd suggest creating backup files and only use DBX for testing to see if your map works properly in case UDB fucks up and you have to reinstall it.

Since a few people posted their maps and screenshots of their WIPs here, here's some screenshots of my map:    

Spoiler

3.jpg.6bd93f8a4f111e258085bfefdac380e6.jpg2.jpg.e18cd58882fe0e43528fbf63a823eadb.jpg1.jpg.cf754c9a4f969d483328c451a071a085.jpg4.jpg.83dc5ffab8fca7511eea73a7ef5ffe13.jpg

@Thelokk I am no longer im, unfortunately my plans have changed and i will not be able to finish my map. I hope the best for everyone participating here, and really sorry for the inconvenience.

11 minutes ago, gabirupee said:

@Thelokk I am no longer im, unfortunately my plans have changed and i will not be able to finish my map. I hope the best for everyone participating here, and really sorry for the inconvenience.

No problem! Stuff happens.

@PrismaticFrog let me know asap if you want in.

3 hours ago, Thelokk said:

No problem! Stuff happens.

@PrismaticFrog let me know asap if you want in.

I tried to join another CP, but it was incredibly unorganized and I dunno if I'm even still in it

I'll PM the project leader though

I'm down though

do we have a deadline for when it should be done or smth?

Edit: yeah I was pushed out of that CP

1 minute ago, PrismaticFrog said:

I tried to join another CP, but it was incredibly unorganized and I dunno if I'm even still in it

I'll PM the project leader though

I'm down though

do we have a deadline for when it should be done or smth?

Deadlines

Deadlines! yay! Everyone's favorite. Here's what I thought up, I consider them pretty generous deadlines for something that is meant to be a low-pressure project open to all punters but, if it really looks like otherwise to you, this is the time to speak up.

- May 30: Something. Here, on this thread, just post something, anything that might work as a sign that you have actually put some thought into the project. Doesn't need to be anything playable - even a screenshot of an untextured WIP room is fine. Just drop by a token showing that you haven't completely packed this project up and put it away in the attic of your mind.  

- July 15: playable beta of the map. Minor changes will still be allowed past this date, but what you post on July 15 should be a version of your map that is playable from beginning to end, can be shared for feedback, and gives a very strong sense of what the final result will be. 

Sometimes taking rest on suspicious looking couch has unexplainable consequences:
doom68.png 

On 4/15/2022 at 3:17 PM, Thelokk said:

UMAPINFO (as well as MAPINFO and ZMAPINFO)

does this mean we need a UMAPINFO and ZMAPINFO, or either one of them?

17 minutes ago, PrismaticFrog said:

does this mean we need a UMAPINFO and ZMAPINFO, or either one of them?

For now just make a UMAPINFO for your own map, I'll take care of all final / other info lumps when compiling.

19 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

For now just make a UMAPINFO for your own map, I'll take care of all final / other info lumps when compiling.

oh, thank you

Are we able to use a MUSINFO lump in our map? If I understand correctly, each map could have transitions between dozens of tracks with MUSINFO, and I have a few ideas involving music changes.

24 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

Are we able to use a MUSINFO lump in our map? If I understand correctly, each map could have transitions between dozens of tracks with MUSINFO, and I have a few ideas involving music changes.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather we didn't, and for a reason you brought up in your very own post: 

24 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

each map could have transitions between dozens of tracks with MUSINFO

If I open the possibility to one mapper I have to open it to everyone and, with 37+ perspective mappers, this could potentially mean 70+ music tracks to juggle... then someone comes along who wants a music track for each sector of their map, and I have to play the unpleasant game of putting down even more rules limiting how many transtions a map can have, which then leads to having to keep track of transitions... I think you got the drift. Let's keep it simple :)

I expect to finish my map before the end of May, but just in case, here's the obligatory Something to show some of my progress:

Spoiler

fgT2nes.png

yumqTPs.png

2LbHxZw.png

I'm currently very busy procrastinating on my Pineapple speedmapping submission, so I'm in no rush to work on this project, but I've had quite a few ideas already. I made a small demo/tutorial room for the gameplay mechanic I came up with. Hopefully it's pretty straightforward!

DEMONIZE.zip

17 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

I'm currently very busy procrastinating on my Pineapple speedmapping submission, so I'm in no rush to work on this project, but I've had quite a few ideas already. I made a small demo/tutorial room for the gameplay mechanic I came up with. Hopefully it's pretty straightforward!

DEMONIZE.zip

sick!

2 hours ago, Misty said:

Bitrate destroyer or oh god, fireblu corruption is spreading.

unknown.png

Looking nice, in a reality- devouring kind of way.

Found enough time and motivation to finish my map already.

Download v1

Title: Routine Maintenance

Music: Outer Darkness by John Weekely

Difficulty settings implemented, UMAPINFO included. I wasn't planning to make the map challenging, it just kinda happened. There's a few places where I'm not sure progression is clear enough, so any feedback would be appreciated.

I'll try to give some of the other maps posted so far a spin sometime soon.

1 hour ago, SCF said:

Download v1

Difficulty settings implemented, UMAPINFO included. I wasn't planning to make the map challenging, it just kinda happened. There's a few places where I'm not sure progression is clear enough, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Will try and provide a video playthrough either today and tomorrow. For now - really, really good one.

And challenging it is! Its difficulty curve and slaughtery moments are still giving me trouble in trying to have a saveless run. I like in particular how ammo placement is not always obvious, and occasionally requires a little backtracking or rushing ahead. The 'meat room' section and the final moshipt (including the Sunder-like final AV surprise) are definitely the hardest parts, though absolutely doable - if anything, I'd say the archviles in the small maze section are the closest the map gets to 'unfair', though there is still plenty of corners where to camp so it's fine in my book. 

Lots of great visuals throughout, and I like how there is a narrative, yet you managed to rein in the doomcute. Someone clearly played too much Alien:Isolation XD

Progression seems fine to me, it did take me a little bit to find the first switch but only because it's kinda nested in, nothing serious so I wouldn't change it. It also took me a bit to realize the final room was an IoS room, but once I pieced together the RL cue it was pretty clear. Didn't encounter bugs / issues in my runs so far. 

On 4/20/2022 at 7:48 PM, Origamyde said:

Update v2 : Now includes Coop + Deathmatch starts, and slight reworks to incorporate difficulty settings.

Nice map! Would work pretty well as an opener. It's a map that's fairly easy but without being boring. It looks nice and you still have to pay attention even if you're never under serious threat.

Here's a few minor things that jumped out at me when I played it:

• You can't return to the starting area once you go out into the streets (the door is one-way). As a result you can ge tlocked out of a secret and a few enemies. Not sure if that was intentional, but there doesn't seem to be much reason not to let you go back.
  • In the blue key room, I'd recommend closing the doors and putting a switch to open them inside the monster closets, or something like that. Right now you can just get the key and leave, which makes the enemies pretty useless unless you're aiming for 100% kills.
  • Speaking of which, getting 100% kills is impossible because of the revenants. That's your choice of course and not a huge deal, but you could add crushers to the whole area that start after you enter the teleporter.
  • In the revenant room, only the front linedef of the teleporter pad is tagged. So if you enter it from the side it will not work.
  • I'm not sure about the purpose of the area behind the blue key door east of the exit. There's a switch, but it just unleashes enemies and nothing else. Is it just meant to be optional?

On 4/20/2022 at 9:32 AM, kwc said:

Hey folks, here's what I got so far. A bit messy in some places, and incomplete/unbeatable at this point.
Looking for general feedback and possible softlocks. Readme included with a bit more info.

Really promising start! I love the doomcute and overall atmosphere. I didn't find any real problems, just one super minor thing: the eye switch near the end has some blocks on the ground that allow you to walk right over the switch if you approach from that side, which can be mildly confusing/annoying when you're trying to press it.

@SCF Played through v1 on UV in DSDA Doom (-complevel 21). Here's my blind playthrough: scfgore1.zip.

Visuals and atmosphere looking good. I'm no expert, so I don't have anything deep to say here.

Difficulty-wise, the map isn't easy, but with your description of "challenging" combined with music I've only heard in Sunder, I overshot with my expectations. I was able to beat it blind with no saves, and I'm not a doom god, so the map is accessible enough. Ammo was plentiful and healing was sufficient, though the secret megaarmor did some heavy lifting. The AV maze isn't the hardest part, but I think it's the most likely time someone doing a blind run will pick the wrong strategy and get trapped; it's tempting to stay hunkered down and let them come to you, but once you realize there are only three archviles, suddenly running away is completely possible. I think the actual hardest bit is the meat room with revenants and cacos; it's very easy to get caught on a ledge you can't vault and take a bunch of missiles in the back/side.

I think you calibrated the imp horde behind the door with two flanking cacos just right. It wasn't obvious whether to prioritize the cacos or imps, but I made it out with moderate damage after some serious dancing around. I also enjoyed the final battle, even if it did turn into circlestrafing toward the end, which is hard to avoid with slaughter-esque fights.

Progression-wise, I spend a lot of time meandering in some areas, but that wasn't me being lost, just looking around. I think the way forward is clear enough for me. One potential hiccup: if a player doesn't notice the rocket launcher down on the lower floor, it seems possible the revenants could arrive and make the RL totally inaccessible, which could be a problem. That said, I'm not even convinced that situation isn't recoverable, as there's plenty of room to draw the crowd.

20 hours ago, SCF said:

Download v1

Great map, the visuals are top notch and I likeD the idea of not giving the player big boy guns when you're forced to fight a squad of revenants and cacodemons in that fleshy room. The last fight was unexpected and almost shocking despite the fact there were two slaughter-y encounters before that lol. I'd try to UV max it and record a demo, but idk how to load both your map and a texture pack with it using command line parameters. So I beat it with saves using GZDoom instead :D So far the best map posted here imo, both conceptually and combat wise. 

Also, where's the second secret? Screenshot_Doom_20220430_213036_01.png.d1aa1394b3e3817225e409c640df910a.png

Thanks for the feedback, both of you cats.

@Large Cat I was hedging my bets regarding the difficulty because it can be very hard to judge for yourself as a map maker, when you already know exactly what's going to happen in every fight. I was a little worried about the rocket launcher placement too, because it's not immediately visible from above. But I did want to force the player to have to jump down to get it. I might see if there's a better place to put it.

@CittyKat112 the two secrets are here

Spoiler

- Shoot the eye in the vents right after you get the red key

- Hidden switch in the alcove with the two chaingunners, in the tan corridor after the archvile maze

By the way, I already found an issue myself that I'll be fixing in a future update. The archviles that teleport after you press the last switch aren't set up correctly, so they only wake up if you fire a shot during the final fight (same as the zombiemen). The whole point of those archviles is so you can't just rush for the exit, but if you don't fire a shot you can avoid them altogether so that'll need to get fixed.

5 minutes ago, SCF said:

Thanks for the feedback, both of you cats.

@Large Cat I was hedging my bets regarding the difficulty because it can be very hard to judge for yourself as a map maker, when you already know exactly what's going to happen in every fight. I was a little worried about the rocket launcher placement too, because it's not immediately visible from above. But I did want to force the player to have to jump down to get it. I might see if there's a better place to put it.

@CittyKat112 the two secrets are here

Hide contents

- Shoot the eye in the vents right after you get the red key

- Hidden switch in the alcove with the two chaingunners, in the tan corridor after the archvile maze

By the way, I already found an issue myself that I'll be fixing in a future update. The archviles that teleport after you press the last switch aren't set up correctly, so they only wake up if you fire a shot during the final fight (same as the zombiemen). The whole point of those archviles is so you can't just rush for the exit, but if you don't fire a shot you can avoid them altogether so that'll need to get fixed.

There's also an option to present it to the player from the get-go but make it inaccessible before the last fight takes place. But then you'll have to somehow telegraph that you can get it afterwards.

Oh, and that secret in the vents is the one I found lol.