Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ICID

Endless Random /idgames WAD Adventures #030

Day 7: Zort 3 https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/zort03

It's alright, I guess, probably would have skipped it seeing as LMG also did another map in this series, but the times I get to click on random file, and in one try, actually get a playable level is a relative rarity, so couldn't have passed this one up.  The best part of it is the music track, but as good as it is, it wasn't enough to distract me from the level, which despite only containing about 40 enemies, still managed to get lost multiple times. The level is pretty stingy with its ammo, which can create some good tension, but that tension is completely lost when you spend so much time going through the same 4 or 5 rooms trying to figure out which one opens something new, and I also don't really understand why they decided to make none of the doors directly functional, instead requiring you to hit a small blue switch instead. For the 90s, it must have been good, and there were assuredly some good moments in this one, but a more straightforward design would have worked to its benefit. 5/10.

YSsppWV.png

Mountain King's Domain (2015) by @ETTiNGRiNDER (From Doom With Love)

It's a Heretic map. It's by ETTiNGRINDER (whose real name I'm sure I've seen somewhere but can't be bothered to recall right now) so you know it's gonna be pretty damn good. What initially seems to be a series of caverns and castles transitions into a full-on city, a la something from The Grotto. The occasional stab at Heretic cute is much appreciated. In one hallway, you'll find EttiNGRINDER'S portrait. And ammo is also quite tight, which will prove quite the challenge with the 280 foes stacked against you. Also, weapons aren't exactly handed to you on a silver platter, so you'll have to explore around a bit. On the plus side, I really like the progression, such as a secret passage you can take to infiltrate the town instead of using the YK. The finale basically involved you jumping down from a ledge to reach another cave which slowly snakes it's way up, culminating in a large showdown with Undead Warrior and Nitrogolems. The 2 Wizards in the upper cave almost seem pointless after this, though the map ends at the entrance to a cave, like something from Alien Vendetta's Toxic Touch. A little on the visually-dull side perhaps, but this is quite good. 8/10

Spoiler

O9EQWSy.png

Spoiler

qTA45nW.png

Spoiler

ozrBL2r.png

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Kobal 2 (2009) by Shadowman (From Doom With Love)

I guess Shadowman is some kind of Nazbol maniac which sucks because I really like the sort of medieval take present in his designs. This one isn't really a conversion of any sort, but it does feature the Eternal Doom Imps which will always be kind of cool. First map is a cool and largely medieval (there are some little red tech panels in some rooms seen more in the second map). outdoor sort of thing with some cruel teleport traps and fairly tight ammo that's quite fun. Second map though is a repetitive and probably SLIDGE-created series of sewers with storage rooms and such scattered throughout with several of the secrets located on top of crates. This map was ok, but very annoying to navigate. For that map alone, it's knocked down less than two points. But corridor fighting gets really old unless you lean into it 7/10

Spoiler

aAqJ1sD.png

Spoiler

d7VWCIE.png

Spoiler

RXXZdHa.png

Day 8: Happy Birthday Mr. Chris https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hbchris

If it was my birthday, I would be happy. This map is exceedingly basic and linear in its design, you walk forwards, push a button, kill the 30 or so enemies that come in, and do that a bunch of times, and the level's over. Normally I'd criticise it for being so simple, but I had fun with it, maybe it's because of the enemy variety, maybe it's the fact I don't have to listen to D_RUNNIN, maybe it's some other aspect of it I didn't identify, but this level is pure slaughter, in its general meaning, rather than the specific meaning in regards to Doom, which isn't actually that specific since it can mean one of several things, but none of them would accurately describe this level in any case. Not that long, not that hard, but I could not level any complaint against it, they got nothing wrong. 7/10.

Fdf8ZAy.png

FellowZDoomer's 1-Hour Map (2014)

Very basic map made in 1-hour. I'm not sure how experience he was experienced at this point, but this map is bad with a capital B. Zero height variation, extremely boring hallways with enemies seemingly tossed in more for their ability to annoy the player than out of any real challenge. Though given the low ammo count, that might actually make some sense. The beginning of the sewer tunnels forces you to pick up a Chaingun from a fallen chaingunner so you can then take out some not-so-threatening othewise Pain Elementals. It would be ok as  myfirst map, but this is just a waste of space 2/10

Spoiler

A4WA3RZ.png

Spoiler

U6xjb0i.png

Day 9: OTTAWAU.WAD ver 0.9 (pre-release) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/m-o/ottawa09

There might be a lot of confusing and uninteresting techbases out there, but at least this one helps to stand out a little by being an extremely blue techbase. Secondarily, it's got some bizarre custom sound effects and textures, which don't really work, the map is quite clearly broken, such as with certain parts of the map completely disappearing once you get close enough. The level design is also generally poor, with the schwerpunkt of the map involving having to go through hallways, opening 20 doors in a row, trying to find which singular one has anything useful, and of course, it was a 90s map so you'll have to spend plenty of time having to kill barons with nothing but a shotgun. It might have more effort than most university WADs, but that doesn't mean it's actually fun to play. 4/10.

OAvEdsw.pnglohnWHq.png

Thirty-Three (1996) by Doug Ryerson (Eternity)

Doug Ryerson is a name you'll probably recognize if you've spent an extensive amount of time playing 90s maps, although I couldn't tell you if he's got any marquee maps. This map, the last before he moved on to concentrate on Hexen, is literally an attempt at stuffing as many functions into a map as possible while "playing good and looking good." Spoiler alert: despite having a certain efficient organized look of a central complex and some decent computer rooms, there's just too much goddamn white everywhere for me to personally call it aethetically pleasing. Certain rooms only exist to show off above-mentioned functions and have no purpose. Sure, it may be cool to crush Mancubi but said room is just a waste of time.

Now, this map does display a minor leap forward in the combat department, as monster density is noticeably higher than other maps of the time and combat is actually slightly leans above-average. However, ammo is pretty spare, you only get basic weapons, and I doubt Doug fully accounted for the higher monster count. It's like that mem Dwars says about 'shotgunning barons is the most fun you can have in Doom'. Not to say they are all that dense, but you don't even get enough ammo to handle them. Navigating around demon pits near the exit is also quite tedious, and proof you shouldn't hide critical things in secrets. There are also some minor techical issues like softlocks in certain locations and overly narrow ledges, but they wouldn't matter so much if this map felt tedious enough I struggled to finish 5/10

Spoiler

dQzTRFQ.png

Spoiler

oGKzm21.png

Spoiler

RPAhX3u.png

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Alamo666 - Hell's Last stand! by GLEN HUEY - Vanilla Doom 2, 1998, played with Eternity "forseti" 4.0.2

Spoiler

etrn12.png etrn14.png etrn15.png etrn16.png

etrn17.png etrn18.png etrn19.png etrn20.png

etrn21.png etrn22.png etrn23.png etrn24.png

etrn25.png etrn26.png 

This is a... good map, actually, made for this specific mapping theme called WTF (it was some sort of contest on a magazine or a website back in the day? iirc) and crafted specifically for coop, but it's also (almost) playable in single player campaign as a challenging slaughtermap style map, similar to Hell Revealed imo (i waiting people tell me how much i'm wrong under this post, smash that like button, ring the bell and subscribe to- no wait, better leave that YouTube stuff out of there guys), it's a pretty large map sets in this... tech fortress into a giant cavern with a ending point have a pretty cool warehouse \ rusty boat harbor with a billion of revenants in, the layout is pretty good made with lots of alignment in the textures section, a thing that is pretty rare to see in old maps, at least from what i can recall as well as having some competent sense of theme, with the exception of some DEM1_5 used in some of the alcoves for some reason, in some parts you have to noclip (the cavern and the red key arena specifically) to proceed in the map and the boat section is kind of hard to understand where to go... But overall a pretty fun and challenging map.

Also, you should don't expect too much WTF moments in this map despite the theme name... Why this moniker btw?

Rise of the Triad skies pack by @RottKing - Graphical patch, any IWAD since uses BMP format ready to be converted, 2007, seen in Slade3

Spoiler

Immagine-2022-04-16-225505.png

Immagine-2022-04-16-225535.png

Immagine-2022-04-16-225611.png

A pack of recolored skies textures taken from 2 patches ripped off from Rise of the Traid, the skies are pretty cool looking and if you need a mountainous sky for your map you can take it from here!

On 4/14/2022 at 2:51 AM, LadyMistDragon said:

HERETIC MAP

Lol , I died on that map few days ago. pretty great but some places were too dark for me.

Month 9 Day 12

I play until I die or intentionally stop. I don't comment the wad where I died/stopped.

[1] Death Pit 2 by Tom Kozera (1996)

Spoiler

BkSdrPs.png
K5cJQHT.png

It's a tiny wad specifically designed for a 2 player frag fest.  The weapons and ammo
                          have been spaced out equally so that
                          everybody has an equal chance.  Also the
                          starting points are put in little,raised,
                          and dark alcoves along the walls so that
                          you don't get fragged right after you
                          reappear (I always hated that so I made
                          sure it doesn't happen in my wads.)  There
                          are also 4 teleporters for quick getaways,
                          elevators for getting back up the walkway
                          and light switches if case you want to
                          spice up the fun. :)  The weapons and
                          goodies available vary at different skill
                          levels to suit everybody's wants and
                          naggings.

A circular arena featuring a pit at its center which actually looks more like an empty basin. For reasons I ignore, you can turn off some lights by pressing some switches. It's not extremly useful since they only darken small sectors.

Aesthetics look great, the Doom 2's base textures were consistently used.

[2] The Playground by Matt Pryor (1997)

Spoiler

fC1317O.png

A short,simple,stupid level with absolutely no plot whatsoever. It doesn't even fit it's name.

A blank flat courtyard where the author just placed scattered trees and few enemies. No guns, no keys to collect, nor any sense of progression. The level can be beaten in 20 seconds.

The level has a decent texturing at least but apart of that, it feels completely uninspired and lazy. Downloading it is a waste of space on your hard disk.

Grade : E+

I got shotgunned by one of the numerous shotgunners in The Spire

Spoiler

oSFevWV.png

Sucker Punch 2 (2021) by @Rook (From Doom With Love)

Let's close out this forenight with a banger of a miniwad that won a silver Cacoward last year! Andy Johnson (who had nothing to do with Alien Vendetta I'm sad to say) is someone that can't be called prolific in any fashion, yet has a shockingly strong reputation, despite his work consisting almost exclusively of speedmaps. While his talent for tasteful and minimalist, yet eye-catching scenery can certainly be commended, his combat is imo, not quite as engaging as someone with a similar style like Egg Boy (whom I quite dislike, but this isn't a drama post, and I'm too old to start it without a seriously good reason. S

Still, the sleek and efficient designs of Rook absolutely shine here. This wad (like the first Sucker Punch I think) is divided into three mini-episodes (one being generic OTEX techbase, one being medieval, and the last essentially being desert temple. Each map has a consistent colour scheme running through that supposedly indicates its difficulty, although Map 06 is frankly among the easiest maps if you want my opinion. Map 02 is one of the hardest to get a grip on in contrast. Through it all, Rook is excellent at largely sticking to a spare design, but adding some sort of strong visual touch in at least one location.

Now while I can't say I'm the hugest fan of Andy's combat because it doesn't feel quite as natural to me as other mappers, it still shines as a tight, tense, speedy and jumpscare-inducing set of maps. While I think placing a teleport trap before you reach a key is a little common by now, the monster density is just high enough to give you a workout. This includes somewhat conservative but still nasty use of Arch-viles where you least hope to use them.

It's hard to talk too much about individual maps, say that the quality rises the further that you get in. "Last Hurrah for Chivalry" is a brief but thrilling mildly claustrophobic rocket-fest, "State of Decay" is a highly-mobile map set admidst a temple utilizing some cool verticality while "Where the Dead Go to Die" is a shockingly speedy journey for a map with just under 200 enemies, thanks to liberal (though not too liberal) amounts of cells and rockets. Let's just say that there's still a few nasty surprises waiting for you at the exit.

Comparing this to Eagle Speedmapping Session 05, that one had some higher highs and more authentically Plutonians combat, yet I won't deny Andy never fails to deliver at any point. If this were a megawad, it would probably get tiring after a while, but in a shorter format like this, I have no serious complaints 9/10

Spoiler

NXOHJg3.png

Spoiler

wveFJjc.png

Spoiler

AAhm5ZY.png

Spoiler

ZMD0Ay9.png

Spoiler

fPa7ol9.png

7 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Sucker Punch 2 (2021) by @Rook (From Doom With Love)

I played this months ago, very fun little mapset using OTEX !

Month 9 Day 13

I play until I die or intentionally stop. I don't comment the wad where I died/stopped.

[1] MWeaps by Marcello Delai (2009)

Spoiler

QvxTPwf.png
mxJX2Pe.jpeg
c0piyme.png
k8RaMPu.png

My first attempt to make a weapons .wad, Mweaps didn´t go as bad as I thought. This mod replaces all original Doom 2 weapons (With exception of fists and chainsaw) with new weapons of my own imagination. The weapons are:

Slot 2 -> The Uzi - A hand sub-machinegun in its burst mode.Useful at all ranges. Slot 3a -> The Sniper rifle - A very powerful weapon but with a slow firing rate.Not recommended for close combat. Slot 3b -> The Mega Shotgun - A devastating weapon, but innacurate at long range.Best for close combats. Slot 4 -> M16 Rifle - As powerful as the Chaingun, but with a faster firing rate.Excels at close combat. Slot 5 -> Baron Powers - A strange potion that gives you the powers of a Baron of Hell.Good at all ranges. Slot 6 -> Dual Railguns - Less powerful than the sniper rifle, but faster firing rate.Quite better at close combat. Slot 7 -> The BattleHammer - The name comes from ´´Metroid Prime Hunters´´ but its not the same weapon. More devastating than the BFG9000.

A weapons wad, let's review all the weaponry. I played the 8 first levels of Doom 2.

First thing, I have to say, several weapons will cost you bullets : Uzi, Sniper rifle and the M16. The shells tend to be secondary ammo since only the Mega Shotgun use them now. Also, considering the sniper rifle replaces the shotgun, shotgunners will drop more bullets once killed. In my playthrough, shells were scarce among 5 first maps. 

Uzi : Very useful replacement , definitely more than the pistol. You will employ it a lot until you get M16 because the Mega Shotgun is too expensive against low-tiers monsters.

Sniper Rifle: It acts similarly to the original shotgun but uses few bullets instead of shells. Not a fan at all of that weapon. The Uzi and M-16 overshadow it.

Mega Shotgun : Or the Super-Super Shotgun , or the fake quad-barrel shotgun because you can see a single-barrel shotgun but it consumes 4 shells between each shot. I partially like this weapon. I have fun killing mid-tiers monsters with it, destroying a baron after 3 well-placed shots bring a lot of satisfaction. However, because of the rarity of shells in some maps, this weapon tend to fill the "Awesome but unpractical" trope.

M16 : Omg yes, I love this weapon. It's your BFG against low-tier monsters.

Baron Powers : The oddest and goofiest weapon in your arsenal. Fireballs have the same power as rockets but don't produce splash damage. So, a futile weapon in general. You can therefore fight monsters in cramped spaces without harming yourself though.

Dual Railguns : The railgun attack doesn't fit with the Duke Nukem's grenade launchers at all. However, it's a devastating weapon and definitely one my favourites. 

The BattleHammer : I didn't have the feeling it was more powerful than the BFG9000.

I got shot by an army of zombies without possibility to take cover in Gladiator

Spoiler

GvUFBuc.png

Month 9 Day 14

[1] Warren.WAD by Stuart Greig (2005)

Spoiler

cnYbdMj.png
x2A86ol.png
BbAWS73.png
PG2u5YM.png
hKeJhvr.png

Sprawling underground maze of tunnels. My first effort at DOOM forming so please be kind. Comments Encouraged!!

An Ultimate Doom Tech base made in 1994 which involves several mazes. Fortunately, they remain short and the computer map greatly helps in finding your way and hidden doors as well. I enjoyed it overall mainly because you have all the necessary to kill everything without struggling.

Also, I appreciate the outdoors areas at the beginning and the items placed on a catwalk.

Grade : B-

I got trapped by barrels in studies.wad

Spoiler

UjKBWQl.png

On 4/18/2022 at 12:06 AM, LadyMistDragon said:

Let's close out this forenight with a banger of a miniwad that won a silver Cacoward last year! Andy Johnson (who had nothing to do with Alien Vendetta I'm sad to say) is someone that can't be called prolific in any fashion, yet has a shockingly strong reputation, despite his work consisting almost exclusively of speedmaps.

Thanks for playing, LadyMistDragon, glad you enjoyed the maps. To clarify - SP2 was "merely" an honourable mention in the Cacowards, though that was indeed an honour in itself. Also, I've actually never released any speedmaps. Small they may be, but my mapsets have taken months to make, rather than hours...

It always makes me smile that my Doom Wiki profile links me with Anders Johnsen due to the similarity of our names.

Sorry that the new thread is a day late! Here you go:

On 4/13/2022 at 8:51 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

I really like the progression, such as a secret passage you can take to infiltrate the town instead of using the YK.

Darn it, I've been working on revised editions of my maps and one of the things I did was take that out since it seemed like most players just found it weird and confusing.  Shall I take that as a vote to add it back in?

On 4/27/2022 at 6:33 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Darn it, I've been working on revised editions of my maps and one of the things I did was take that out since it seemed like most players just found it weird and confusing.  Shall I take that as a vote to add it back in?

um yeah;p) taking paths out doesn't make much sense if your map already has a solid structure....unlike some Mark Klem maps that have some rather curious and expansive layouts to say the least.: