Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

CLED

I'm trying to use CLED (one of the Boom editing tools) to add a new flag to a linedef in one of my levels. The flag number is 1024, ie. Eternity's "bridge" flag that allows a linedef to act as a bridge.

Anyway, the only thing I have to do is to add up 1024 to the existing flag number of that particular linedef. Problem is, I cannot get that existing flag number anymore.

The command "cled name.wad (mapnumber,linedefnumber).flags" ought to give me the existing flag number, but doesn't... instead it lists eg. "2s" and a 0xXX number.

Funny thing is, I used to be able to do this... but can't remember how. Anyone? Also usefull: does someone have a list of the individual flagnumber for each vanilla doom linedef property (2s, 1s, lw, etc)... that way I can just calculate the desired flagnumber.

Mordeth said:

Also usefull: does someone have a list of the individual flagnumber for each vanilla doom linedef property (2s, 1s, lw, etc)... that way I can just calculate the desired flagnumber.

I think I know what you're talking about :

Impassible:     x0001
Block Monster:  x0002
Two-Sided:      x0004
Upper Unpegged: x0008
Lower Unpegged: x0010
Secret:         x0020
Block Sound:    x0040
Invisible:      x0080
Auto-mapped:    x0100
Is that the list you're looking for?

I don't know anything in regards to CLED, sorry.

Oh, and don't you have a copy of DeepSea courtesy of Ling? You should be able to check the total value of the linedef flags in its flag editor and change it to the appropriate value.

Lüt said:

Impassible:     x0001
Block Monster:  x0002
Two-Sided:      x0004
Auto-mapped:    x0100

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense. But, I know it has to be a power of 2, and thanks to you I now know the exact order. So: 2 for 'impassible' up until 256 for 'auto-mapped' ?

Oh, and don't you have a copy of DeepSea courtesy of Ling?

Stolen, along with my box.

Mordeth said:

Since it is MY copy of Deepsea, which I paid for and then gave to you, I should be able to get another copy of it, I would think.

Mordeth said:

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense. But, I know it has to be a power of 2, and thanks to you I now know the exact order. So: 2 for 'impassible' up until 256 for 'auto-mapped' ?

I'm not sure, I pulled those values from DeepSea's flag editor. I can't find anything in the help documentation that says DeepSea modified the flags' Hex editing method/numbers from the original game data, so I'm assuming those are the proper numbers. I don't know of any other resource to list them though.

Mordeth said:

Yeah, like Ling said, you ought to be able to get a replacement version in an email from Jack. I don't know if he'll give you the current version or the one Ling paid for, but the payment is on record so you ought to at least get the older version.

Lüt said:
I'm not sure, I pulled those values from DeepSea's flag editor.

I've been experimenting last night (again), but to no avail. Like you, I've noted down the individual flags that showed up in Deepsea, and tried combining them. It does work for low flag numbers (eg, "impassible" + "2s" = 1 + 4 = 5, so "cled map.wad linedef(mapnumber,linedefnumber).flags=0x5" results in a 2s impassible linedef. But it goes awry when the flag number goes up (also because letters appear instead of numbers). Still haven't figured out how to do this :(

Yeah, like Ling said, you ought to be able to get a replacement version in an email from Jack. I don't know if he'll give you the current version or the one Ling paid for, but the payment is on record so you ought to at least get the older version.

Ling bought it for me with his own money, which just shows what a great guy he is. He probably still has the file... Ling?

Mordeth said:

But it goes awry when the flag number goes up (also because letters appear instead of numbers). Still haven't figured out how to do this :(

That's because it's in hexadecimal, as were the numbers Lüt listed. 100 is hexadecimal for decimal 256, for example.

Fredrik said:

That's because it's in hexadecimal, as were the numbers Lüt listed. 100 is hexadecimal for decimal 256, for example.

Right, not sure that answers his question. What he's really confused about is for example "00A9" which is Impassible, Secret, Upper Unpeg, Invisible. So he has to understand HEX and then learn hex addition.

Briefly: Has to do with the "base" of a number. Our normal friendly numbers are 0-9 for base 10. The character position for a number in any base is always 0 up to the base number-1.

Hexadecimal means base 16, so numbers are from 0 to 15 for each number position. To make the notation easy to read numbers above 9 are A-F. A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14, F=15.

Then the next rule is that moving right to left, each digit position implies a power of the base. For example the number 5 is 5x10[0-power] = 5x1 = 5. (any number to the 0th power is 1). But 50 = 5 x 10[1st power] = 5x10= 50

So the hex flag "0100" is 1 x 16 [2nd power] or 1 x 16x16 = 1 x 256 = 256. What we are doing here is converting from base 16 to base 10.

Addition is just like base 10, except you "carry" when you get to 16, not 10. Here's adding flags:

0x0001 invisible
0x0020 secret
0x0008 upper unpeg
0x0080 invisible
======
0x00A9

9 because 8 +1 = 9
A because 8+2 = 10 which is represented by A in HEX.

If you have a new flag, for example the 0x0400 you mentioned (which is 1024 decimal), then do hex arithmetic to add it to existing values. So for the prior

0x00A9
0x0400
======
=x04A9

I find the built in Windows calculator covers what I need for Hex to decimal conversions (and vice versa). I know there are other, better tools for the job, but I don't need it that often.

Fire up calc.exe and make sure it's in scientific mode.

If the radio button is on Dec, enter your decimal number and then click the radio button next to Hex. Voila, a Hex number.

The system is just the same, but in reverse for going from Hex to Dec. (The letter buttons are not greyed out in Hex mode, allowing entry of numbers like A9.)

After this post I made the DeePsea calculator accept HEX (or a mix). Always need motivation to do changes:)

Lost Soul said:

Deep - I'm curious to know, Are your servers still down? I just want to know if you got my email.

No messages from Lost Soul since a few hours ago. If another name, let me know. ATM there is a slight problem with me getting email - so if it was recent don't know yet. Should clear up in a while.

The Heretic said:

hex 29A to decimal, redundant linedef.

What does that mean?

deep said:

No messages from Lost Soul since a few hours ago. If another name, let me know. ATM there is a slight problem with me getting email - so if it was recent don't know yet. Should clear up in a while.

when I mail, my name shows as Dan Roth

Lost Soul said:

when I mail, my name shows as Dan Roth

Yes. I've been trying to catch up from the worm and also updating current users. A few mistakes always pop up when I make a lot of changes and 11.7 did have a lot of changes.

It's now 11.74 - sbsoftware.com - has details. Added hexadecimal numbers to the calculator, made it so you can move texture names around in the texture lump and fixed another line color option mistake - you can override any LineDef special color via the OPT file, but I accidently let "nothing" (the OPT files have no entry there by default) influence the display. Works, just looks bad:)

It will probably be this late tonight or this weekend by the time I get caught up again updating you and the others with the prior 11.7x versions.