Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
azerty

Angry NilsQuilt a Discord CP: 1 map by 7 people

Cool concept, and a fun map to play. I like how the map has ended up quite interconnected, with various different ways to go about the map.

I think my favourite fight is the red room with the megasphere. The aesthetic here is really cool. The difficulty could be bumped up a bit here though, I was able to get everything to in-fight and then only needed a half dozen rockets or so to clean out the stragglers. The archvile use is pretty good in the map too. The pair in the outdoor rocky area after you get locked in nearly got me. 

My least favourite area is the slime vats in the north west corner. It feels a bit clumsy to play through, and some of the monster teleports feel a bit cheap. The railing textures look a bit odd here with out posts or something at their ends.

I found a few issues you may want to fix:

* The first door will softlock you if you go back into the starting room because the entry room side is open once.

* Hanging corpses block a few monsters/doors in dsda-doom. There's a hell knight stuck in the slime to the east of the starting area, and a corpse partially blocking the blue door for example.

* There's two hell knights stuck on top of each other in the red megasphere/rocket fight room.

8 hours ago, ryiron said:

Cool concept, and a fun map to play. I like how the map has ended up quite interconnected, with various different ways to go about the map.

I think my favourite fight is the red room with the megasphere. The aesthetic here is really cool. The difficulty could be bumped up a bit here though, I was able to get everything to in-fight and then only needed a half dozen rockets or so to clean out the stragglers. The archvile use is pretty good in the map too. The pair in the outdoor rocky area after you get locked in nearly got me. 

My least favourite area is the slime vats in the north west corner. It feels a bit clumsy to play through, and some of the monster teleports feel a bit cheap. The railing textures look a bit odd here with out posts or something at their ends.

I found a few issues you may want to fix:

* The first door will softlock you if you go back into the starting room because the entry room side is open once.

* Hanging corpses block a few monsters/doors in dsda-doom. There's a hell knight stuck in the slime to the east of the starting area, and a corpse partially blocking the blue door for example.

* There's two hell knights stuck on top of each other in the red megasphere/rocket fight room.

Thank you for the feedback! I'll surly consider it in the next version.

Pretty cool map. Also for me the green slime room felt off as it is optional and the teleporting monsters make it rather annoying if you haven't got enough cells to deal with them all. I really enjoyed the design of the map and most of the fights. Those water lillies are pretty impressive too!

25 minutes ago, TheCyberDruid said:

Those water lillies are pretty impressive too!

Thanks! It was a huge pain in the ass to make because of how Doom renders mid-textures.

I enjoyed it and so I don't have any major complaint... it was an entertaining map, really :)

Maybe if I should have given a least is the - in my very only opinion - "excessive" use of floor/ceil texture without height change in some areas... I find it unaesthetical in a level design perspective, but I guess I'm just a f*cking purist ? xD

Fun! But waaay more health is needed, especially at the lower difficulties... I didnt find a single armor... I saw maybe 2 medikits in total and a handfull of stimpacks... I started out having to resurrect myself 6 times until the final part where I just turned on GOD mode and went in... guns blazing.

A few unfair encounters like revenants in tight corridors and similar was also part of it.

And I may be tripping, but are large parts of this map something the player can ignore? (looking at the overview map, I feel I have missed part of the map + I couldnt get the automap pickup)

I liked the water lillies as well but found it difficult and cumbersome to enter and exit the fountain.

1 minute ago, CBM said:

Fun! But waaay more health is needed, especially at the lower difficulties... I didnt find a single armor... I saw maybe 2 medikits in total and a handfull of stimpacks... I started out having to resurrect myself 6 times until the final part where I just turned on GOD mode and went in... guns blazing.

A few unfair encounters like revenants in tight corridors and similar was also part of it.

And I may be tripping, but are large parts of this map something the player can ignore?

This map really is for explorers. There are a ton of secret and also a ton of ammo, health and ammo it's just hidden away somewhere in the map. I can imagine that you just ran by a lot of that stuff which caused you to miss a lot of resources. I'll try to make some supplies more visible to the player. No you are not tripping a lot of it is optional. Working with 7 on one map made progression a bit weird. We mostly just started building random rooms with some of them having no real porous progression wise. Most of these room also contain a lot of goodies to compensate though. Thank you for giving this a go and I hope you at least had a bit of fun :)

12 minutes ago, azerty said:

This map really is for explorers. There are a ton of secret and also a ton of ammo, health and ammo it's just hidden away somewhere in the map. I can imagine that you just ran by a lot of that stuff which caused you to miss a lot of resources. I'll try to make some supplies more visible to the player. No you are not tripping a lot of it is optional. Working with 7 on one map made progression a bit weird. We mostly just started building random rooms with some of them having no real porous progression wise. Most of these room also contain a lot of goodies to compensate though. Thank you for giving this a go and I hope you at least had a bit of fun :)

Ahh ok, well yes I did have fun! :-)

Just finished it on UV with 223/229 kills and found 9/13 secrets. Had a lot of fun overall, and I liked that it had optional areas to explore that weren't crucial to progression. The yellow key area and the nukage area with the teleporting enemies were the toughest spots for me, but the I thought the difficulty overall was pretty fair. There wasn't anything too over the top, and the combat to me remained interesting throughout.

The look of the map was also very nice, with good texture variety and detailing. (I liked the custom textures as well)

I'll probably give it another go to try and find the rest of the kills/secrets later, as it looks like I missed a sizeable chunk of the map (the large circular area on the right)...whoops! haha.

Anyways, nice job! I look forward to more if you decide to do this type of project again in the future :)

@Biodegradable Thank you for the video :). That yellow part where you couldn't find how to get to is by Clippy btw

@Lerxst_In_Wonderland Thank you for playing and for the kind words. If you are going to play it again to find more stuff I just wanted to say that it is possible to 100% it but GL with that lol. Nearly 20% of the map is secret. I am glad you liked the exploration part of the map as it's one of it strongest points imo.

@MidnightMage I hope you will have fun playing it. I am sure that it's worthy of it's name :)

It doesn't seem to run on DSDA Doom for some reason....Cool map, though. You should probably fix that fountain in Worriedidiot's square so you can get out without jumping though.

1 minute ago, LadyMistDragon said:

It doesn't seem to run on DSDA Doom for some reason....Cool map, though. You should probably fix that fountain in Worriedidiot's square so you can get out without jumping though.

It's possible to get out it's just a bit tricky. It's weird I thought it ran without any problems on DSDA I'll look into it.

3 minutes ago, azerty said:

It's possible to get out it's just a bit tricky. It's weird I thought it ran without any problems on DSDA I'll look into it.

The only thing I can think of is that it's related to being an outdated version, but I don't exactly think UMAPINFO changes between versions like that normally...

1 minute ago, LadyMistDragon said:

The only thing I can think of is that it's related to being an outdated version, but I don't exactly think UMAPINFO changes between versions like that normally...

I found the problem. I added the textures just before releasing it and when I remove them from the wad it works. So for some reason it's cc4-tex. I probably has something to do with the slade maintenance tools that I used to delete any unused textures. I'll just add a version without the textures and one with textures so it's possible to play on DSDA.

20 hours ago, ryiron said:

I think my favourite fight is the red room with the megasphere. The aesthetic here is really cool. The difficulty could be bumped up a bit here though, I was able to get everything to in-fight and then only needed a half dozen rockets or so to clean out the stragglers.

Appreciate it. That was my part. The silhouette technique just always looks cool. Wish I had longer to work on a section, but I was in the middle of another project. Agreed on the difficulty, but I didn't want to leave the player with less health than they gained by the megasphere. Plus it was a dead-end when I made it, so the red key and such weren't there to justify the horde. 

Here's my playthrough:

4 hours ago, azerty said:

forgot to mention that to get it working on dsda doom I had to add cc4-tex.wad on the command line. I think it complained about a missing texture otherwise. 

1 minute ago, ryiron said:

forgot to mention that to get it working on dsda doom I had to add cc4-tex.wad on the command line. I think it complained about a missing texture otherwise. 

I fixed that now. There are 2 versions one with textures included (doesn't work on DSDA) and another version without textures but I added a link so you can download them and load them together with the wad. Well I didn't really fix it but at least now there is a way to make it work on DSDA.

This video is from 12 hours ago f'n YouTube 

Fun stuff I was happy to be a part of it. Played nicely too. Sorry for being a dumbass and missing some things

Edited by Clippy : Ioops

I did some bug fixing I think I fixed all or at least most of the bugs that were mentioned here. Again thank you for the feedback it is very helpful :)

@Clippy and @Dannarchy cool videos we spoke on discord so I can't really say all that much. I'll do a 100% playthough later on so you guys can see where all the stuff you missed is.

@CBM I get it now indeed a lot of the map was optional because of a certain door you weren't meant to be able to open. It causes you to skip a bog part of the map that normally is important for progression. I fixed that now.

Edited by azerty

13 hours ago, azerty said:

@CBM I get it now indeed a lot of the map was optional because of a certain door you weren't meant to be able to open. It causes you to skip a bog part of the map that normally is important for progression. I fixed that now.

Cool

An interesting experiment! I've never attempted to design a map with different people contributing different parts :) I think it worked well enough, the "gather the three keys" gameplay is probably the sanest way to do it and it didn't feel like I was simply bringing them all back to one place.

ANon: Unfortunately, unable to do this in the format we've adopted right now. Regardless, as we had some time, we decided after watching @DavidN play a little of this. Thought we'd give it a go. TL:DR: "It's fine, until you want to go UV-Maxing it." At least we weren't understanding parts of it. Here's our main gripe with this... the secret hunting in this actually managed to make us go 'What?' a couple of times. Within one playthrough, we nearly had All Kills and All Secrets, save for 4 Kills and 3 Secrets. For those wanting to do secret hunting in this, we'll try and spoiler up the info.

For one of the secrets we did actually manage to find first: 

Spoiler

We really didn't like the parkour one, it wasn't easy trying to move on the platforms. We kept over shooting it & the real big gripe is the fact that if you do manage to leave & kill the Cyberdemon, but want to go back... you can't. The teleporter's one way, so even trying to reach the BFG platform teleport without the Cyber's rocket is not fun for us. We like aiming for UV-Max [just in case people need some context] & this was the one bit, where attempting it became a hassle.

For the ones we started cheating/looking into the WAD [in case of break]:

Spoiler

The GR Doors honestly irked us when we found out about it. While the gun range was more on the nose, for example, the 'shoot the other door' to reveal a nearby door felt REALLY weird. Especially when the door leading to the gun range, from the secret's side, also needs shot. This might be us crying about it, but we don't recall gun triggered doors being a progression thing and didn't felt too well hinted at honestly.
The, we believe this is what was happening, voodoo platform secret near the end. Yeah, not gonna lie, had to cheat to enter the scroll floor to hit the trigger twice here while on GZDooM, to raise it high enough. Disregarding this, we ultimately noclipped to tag it. Not really sure how this one works, think it's maybe a bit odd.

One small thing for the UV-Kill players. Yes, you will need to pick-up items [or at least walk over lines to ensure monster teleports work] and get the secrets [not all of them, but some of them]
The map's not bad, even though we're doing some completionist whinging. It's [mostly] well put together [partially withholding full reasoning, since we can't do the full breakdown, though one reason is hidden in spoilers] and the music's nice, if a little repetitive. We can recommend a fair bit of fun here, just if you are 100%-ing it, have a reference guide if possible. If you've played the Angry Quilt series, this is an alternative take on that [less mappers, and less traps]... It's worth a Play, bit more friendly to casual play.

Bye for now.

@ANonThingie! Thanks for playing. You criticism is pretty understandable and true. I hope you still had some fun with this and to reassure you yes this can be 100% ted.