Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

Recommend me some Linux games.

So I tested positive for COVID, meaning I'm going to be essentially bed-ridden and out of work for the week. And with all the sudden extra free time on my hands, I figured it'd be fun to get more closely acquainted with Linux, which I recently installed on my laptop. "Get more closely acquainted" mostly meaning just fucking around on the thing. :P

Anyway, I was wondering if any peeps here on Doomworld would have any Linux games to recommend I play. I only have The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth installed at the moment, and I'm in want of an excuse to try out some more games. All genres are welcome, only real criteria is they have to be playable on a laptop without a mouse.

Thanks in advance!

Install Steam, if you’re not afraid of Gabe and you will have the choice.

GOG has an assortment of releases set up for Linux.

Steam, as previously mentioned, has a whole bunch of Linux titles as well as a Wine/DXVK based compatibility layer for running Windows games, called Proton.

Itch.io has a swarm of native Linux titles of varying quality, and if you have Wine installed its optional client app will happily route Windows software in its direction. And hey, if you donated to any of those charity bundles over the last few years, you probably already own half the library!

Of course, most emulators, interpreters and source ports (hey, there's this one game called doom...) also have Linux builds, so a lot of console and computer history is available to you with open arms.

Dropping by to mention ProtonDB as an accompaniment to Kinsie's mentioning of Steam and Proton. Odds are, aside from stubborn devs that won't enable anti-cheat support and some esoteric older games, anything you'd want to play is either natively available or works through Proton with minor tweaks. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you run into any trouble, either. :)

7 hours ago, MFG38 said:

they have to be playable on a laptop without a mouse.

Since you're mentioned this, platformers came to my mind. May I suggest you Super Meat Boy? The original one, not the Forever version, though Forever may fit since it's an autorunner, never played it though

4 minutes ago, lokbustam257 said:

Since you're mentioned this, platformers came to my mind. May I suggest you Super Meat Boy? The original one, not the Forever version, though Forever may fit since it's an autorunner, never played it though

I actually own both games already. Played Forever for 30 minutes and concluded that it sucks and I never want to touch it again.

The original, on the other hand... Might install and replay that.

8 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Anyway, I was wondering if any peeps here on Doomworld would have any Linux games to recommend I play. I only have The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth installed at the moment, and I'm in want of an excuse to try out some more games. All genres are welcome, only real criteria is they have to be playable on a laptop without a mouse.

Dosbox is available on most distros, so if you are willing to set that up, you can do that, and most of those games don't require a mouse.  

Linux has good controller support, my ds4 worked out of the box (wired and wirelessly), so did my brother's xbox controller (wired, didn't test wirelessly).  So if you don't have a mouse, Portal 2 with gyro aim is amazing (DS4 and switch only)

Just naming open-source games, which might be in your distribution's repository: SuperTux, SuperTuxKart, Battle for Wesnoth, and Kobo Deluxe are all fun to play. Most of the games in a typical distro's repository aren't amazing or anything, but still a good way to burn through some free time, so I recommend browsing a little.

To some extent you can just use regular video game recommendations. Several games work natively on Linux, and for other games you can use Wine or Proton/Steam Play, see https://www.protondb.com/ and https://appdb.winehq.org/ for compatibility.

The cacodemon is GZDoom, the bubble is World of Goo.

image.png.08802570f30883e2ee9a27e6d1db69b0.pngimage.png.757d4d13a1ba6d94a27ac5f3e4024886.png

And I don’t count what’s in the Games menu.

What's your distro good sir? (For curiosity :P)

Anyway, try Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, it's a roguelike for terminal, but also has some fancy graphics with SDL. There's also Flare, a Diablo recreation of sorts. You can find them in most distro packages.

nexuiz classic is pretty much quake3/unreal its on the mint software manager but im not sure if its on sympatic or other repositories 

its just called nexuiz on the mint software manager but its been used other places so alot of people just call it nexuiz classic

its pretty fun you should give it a try

Spoiler

LmpwZw

1 minute ago, gwain said:

nexuiz is pretty much quake3/unreal its on the mint software manager but im not sure if its on sympatic or other repositories 

LmpwZw

Nexuiz Classic is in Debian, so anything derived from it or Ubuntu will have access to it via whatever software manager. However, I think its "spiritual successor," Xonotic, is a far, far superior open source shooter. That you'll have to download.

1 hour ago, northivanastan said:

I think its "spiritual successor," Xonotic, is a far, far superior open source shooter. That you'll have to download.

there are alot of linux quake3 clones Chaos Esque Anthology is another one to check out

Edited by gwain

25 minutes ago, gwain said:

there are alot of linux quake3 clones Chaos Esque Anthology is another one to check out

Indeed, since John Carmack open-sourced his engines, there's a lot of stuff based on them, both Doom and Quake.

I can also recommend the Cube series and Red Eclipse, which have their own game engine. Red Eclipse in particular has a great art style, and a really funky set of game modifiers.

(Didn't mention them in my first post because OP said he couldn't use a mouse.)

Enigma. Although its main input is the mouse but it's playable with a trackpad and since it's the best variety puzzle game ever I had to mention it.

Edited by Csucskos

1 hour ago, Csucskos said:

Enigma. Although its main input is the mouse but it's playable with a trackpad and since it's the best variety puzzle game ever I had to mention it.

Oh yeah, that's a great one! Didn't mention it because of the mouse requirement and because I think there might be some dealbreaker bugs on Wayland. But yeah, second this, much like the other games in the Debian/Ubuntu repos it's nothing revolutionary but a very nice way to pass the time.

10 hours ago, Astronomical said:

Dosbox

Yep, that alone opens up so much Games, even on crappy Hardware :D

Many Dos Games also are really forgiving if you have no Mouse at all ;)

Freeciv and Freecol are pretty fine and as they are heavy on Hotkeys, nice to play on Hardware without proper Mouse.

Freeciv Web is also nice, as you can proceed playing from everywhere.

Scumm VM for point and Click.

Gog has Games for Linux, Steam also and Proton.

Also try Playonlinux to play Windows Games.

Edit:

Devilution, a Diablo Port.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! So many as well, holy cow. Should be enough variety to keep me entertained for a while.

10 hours ago, Antkibo said:

What's your distro good sir? (For curiosity :P)

Linux Mint 20.2 with the Cinnamon DE.

40 minutes ago, Taw Tu'lki said:

Mahjongg

TBH that (and most of the other GNOME games and KDE games) are the Linux equivalent of the various games that ship with Windows. No pretense of offering complex gameplay, just there to give you something to do. If that's what you're looking for though, absolutely install them.

I stand by the recommendations I made here, and there's a lot more in this thread.

Also +1 to the C programming language. I've been getting the hang of SDL lately and once you're in the thick of it it's extremely fun and not that hard. Look up Derek Banas on YT for a sort of coding "ice bucket challenge". OneLoneCoder and Red Blob Games cover a ton of basic concepts for once you get past Hello World! PyGame is also good for instant gratification.

Edited by Aaron Blain

I do recommend Teeworlds and Xonotic if multiplayer games interest you. I remember inviting my friends on Discord to join in servers for Teeworlds and sometimes Xonotic and we had a blast playing it.